PDA

View Full Version : Squid's Log

fos3050
09-20-13, 11:38 pm
Quick background: I've been training for about 6 years. Like a lot of other people, I got into lifting/training after high school sports ended. Something to keep my competitive nature happy and to keep me active. I became friends with a guy in my gym who mainly trained for strongman events and some powerlifting. He helped me with basic lifts & more advanced lifts as time went on, technique/form, training progression, and most importantly always made me keep a training log. I stayed pretty loyal to my training log for about 2 years and somewhere in the mix of things, got away from using the log. Competing in a figure show had always been a goal of mine, even though I didn't really voice that to anyone else, not even my training partner. I used that goal as my training focus for those first three years, got in touch with a pretty decent trainer in my area, and got on stage in 2010. For only dieting for 9 weeks I was pretty happy with the end result and liked the high you feel when being on stage. I've wanted to get back on stage since, but have had to take some time away from the more strict and time consuming training that is required for competitions to focus on my schooling and career. I also began to dabble more into powerlifting and had considered switching from figure to PL. Then the new WPD came about and that peeked my interest...there is more of a chance of me being able to PL and compete in Women's Physique than PL/figure....at least in my case. I don't have an issue putting on muscle so PL moves seem to make me a little too bulky for figure, IMO. So obviously I have no idea what my long term goal is these days. Regardless of my indecisiveness, I had been training rather consistently up until about 7/8 months ago....strained/torn glute, piriformis syndrome, and sacroiliac joint dislocation...not sure which caused which...chicken or the egg? So due to all of that, I went through physical therapy for close to 3 months and time away from training, not to mention a mild depression for me from all of that. lol. Training is for sure my outlet. I had become so lax in my left hip that even picking up a dumbbell caused my SI joint to dislocate and reverse all therapy and rehab I had done days prior. I've had injuries before, but I can honestly say this has been the most frustrating.

Fast forward to the present, I am now injury "free". I say "free" because I still have minor issues relating to the injury (partial dislocations from time to time near the tailbone and occasional soreness/burning in my left glute/hammy) but nothing too horrendous that I cant get back into the swing of things. I'm not necessarily starting from square one, but not exactly where I had hoped to pick up. So that brings me here. I think starting a log again will help me get through this training slump and help me center in on my goals a little better. Sometimes seeing things in black and white on paper/on a screen can help me narrow in on where I need/want to improve. I've been a member here since I think 08'. I got into the ABCs around then from a friend in Ohio and have met a lot of really great people through ANIMAL. I have only logged on here and there to read up on different things and to see what everyone is up to and check up on upcoming ABCs.

As far as short term goals: I want to get back into the consistency of training without letting my chaotic school/work schedule and self pity-party (bc I'm not where I was training-wise) to hinder that, more core-work, especially lower abs and low back to prevent any more SI dislocations, and more mobility work and stretching to prevent future injuries. I confess to being one of those educated people (M.S. in Exercise Science, working on DPT) who preach to everyone else to stretch and work on mobility but never do it myself...annnnd I am pretty certain that in not doing so it contributed to my injury. I am extremely muscle bound. I actually started forcing myself to go to yoga (shut up, lol) twice a week after training sessions to get some mobility back into my life. I'll vouch for it...it really does help. As far as long term goals, I am still not sure. I guess at this point, work back to where I was pre-injury and when I get to that point, narrow in on a more specific goal.

sooo, today was Chest day
WO went a little something like this

Flat BB
2 Warm-up sets
bar x15
105 x15
6 working sets
115 x 12
125 x 12, 12, 8 (hamstring cramp), 10
didn't drink enough H2O today and my hamstrings always cramp when I don't
105 x failure (15)

Decline BB
4x10 @105, paused reps

Incline Smith Machine
4x10 @ 95

3 burnout sets of push-ups

kind of a quick session. I couldn't get in the gym until about 7:45ish and our gym closes at 9. Would've liked to do some cable work somewhere in there.

deanna7272
09-21-13, 12:47 am
And so it begins...

So glad to see that you decided to start your journey/journal!! I will definitely be keeping an eye over here!! Hopefully we can get together SOON and get a session or two in...

I miss ya doll and can't wait to see your progress... You definitely have the heart of a champion, and whatever way you decide to go, I'll be there acting a fool cheering you on!!!

fos3050
09-21-13, 10:56 am
And so it begins...

So glad to see that you decided to start your journey/journal!! I will definitely be keeping an eye over here!! Hopefully we can get together SOON and get a session or two in...

I miss ya doll and can't wait to see your progress... You definitely have the heart of a champion, and whatever way you decide to go, I'll be there acting a fool cheering you on!!!

Thanks, Dee!! :) Having a good support system makes all the difference in the world!
I miss you too...seems like it has been forever since we've seen each other! I'm pretty open on Sundays as of lately so lets seriously plan something. You've never made it out to my gym...come train! You can bring Bodey...I guess.. lol jk. He can come. You have to tell me more about the whole coconut oil saga...yikes...I read bits and pieces on your blog. I've been using it for the past few months consistently...haven't had any problems though.

fos3050
09-21-13, 11:32 am
I teach a spin class at 8AM on Saturday mornings and usually go straight into work at the hospital after. Today I have the day off because I have to go to a friend's wedding reception. The best part about that is I got my training out of the way early today instead of trying to find the energy after work to push through.

So Saturday morning spin lasts 45 min. I don't always participate in the class, just instruct, since the whole hip issue. The seats on the bikes really irritate my SI joint. When I feel it, I do it, when I don't I just instruct. Today I did a little bit of both. After class I hit back.

Pull-ups 3x of 10, first set unassisted, last two with light tension bands
1 min rest between sets for the next 3 movements
Inverted Rows 4x12, BW
V-grip OH cable pull-downs to chest 4x12 @ 90
BB rows with OH grip 2x10 @115, 2x10 @95
LB extensions on stability ball 4x15 with active rest Lat stretches(forward/left/right) on the ball :45 seconds
Machine parallel grip rows 4x15 @ 85
Captains chair tailbone raises 4x12
(everyone else calls them leg raises, but I hate that because it almost forces people to do them incorrectly. Not looking to work my hip flexors!)

My training partner is anti-straps for anything. He's beat it in my head since day one...said its like swearing in church...you just don't do it. So instead we do grip work. Some people argue that using straps helps develop your back more so you can remove pulling the weight too much with your grip and instead of focusing on your back muscles or they say their grip fatigues before their back does...in that case...do more grip work! But honestly, its pretty hard to completely isolate your back muscles. Id rather build up my grip a little too while I hit back...even though I don't think there is a ton of carry over from back training to grip training. But I think grip training helps back training. Its debatable I guess. He's also anti headphones/ipods...says it keeps you from fully concentrating on the lift and muscle activation....he may be right on that...butttt I'm not taking it to those extremes...I NEED my music. lol. Anyways....back to it...

grip work:
Olympic BB end holds with a 25lb plate 5x :30 sec each arm, alternating arms for active rest
BB farmer's walk grip with BB and 2 5lb plates 4x:20 each arm, alternating arms for active rest
*major weakness on the left arm for this one. I DL with a hook grip on the right and an UH grip on the left. Have for over 2 years...horrible. major imbalances. One of my goals is to work back to hook grip for both hands. Pretty sure this grip activity will help.

The end. ha.

fos3050
09-22-13, 8:44 pm
box squats
16" box
bar x 15
135 x 12
155 x 12
165 x 12
185 x 12, 12
195 x 12
as much rest as needed in btw

/SLDL w 55lb DBs x12, 4 sets
\plié squats holding 25lb plate x 15, 4 sets
min rest in between sets

single leg, leg press
100 x 12 for 4 sets alternating legs with no rest

abductor machine
kneeling backwards, 15x12 for 4 sets
seated 80x12 for 4 sets
:45 sec rest btw sets

leg extensions
60 x12 for 4 sets

pull-thrus
45 x 12 for 4 sets

fos3050
09-25-13, 12:50 am
Mondays:

Mondays are usually an off day for me. I typically try to go three days on and one day off. Not to mention I despise the gym on a Monday evening and I don't have much time during the day to get there due to my class schedule. SO this Monday, was an off day.

Tuesdays:
I work at the hospital, then bust ass to get to my gym by 6:30 through rush hour traffic in Pittsburgh. Then I relieve all my stress from the work day and sitting in traffic by teaching an hour long spin class followed by an hour of yoga. I am really starting to enjoy yoga more and more. Go ahead, poke fun, lol. It's been two weeks, two sessions a week, of yoga and I am already noticing significant improvement in flexibility. Specifically my chest and back. I usually cramp pretty easily in my back when holding a relaxed pose...NOT ANYMOREEE! I attribute it to yoga, lol.

what's on tomorrow's agenda? My favorite! Shoulders :)

Firefist
09-25-13, 9:33 am
I'm in! Hope to see ya soon.

fos3050
09-25-13, 1:30 pm
I'm in! Hope to see ya soon.

For the ABC in November?! If so...heck yes!! haha

fos3050
10-07-13, 9:29 pm
Kinda drifted from my log a little..lol

Been a crazy couple of weeks. School is really kicking my ass. I am just mentally exhausted. So that's kinda been the downside of the last two weeks. However, the upside...my best friend's wedding was this past weekend. She's been my best friend since we were 4. It all seemed surreal standing next to her watching her say I do to the love of her life. It was AWESOME and I am so extremely happy for her. I am so thrilled I got to experience the big day with her and help her plan all along the way... As great as it was...its also nice to get the chaos of it all over with too. lol

Between the wedding, trying to keep my Chem grade up, and work, I trained, but not as much or as focused as I normally like to. Anyways, enough pathetic excuses. I kind of have to make school my main priority at the moment. I am not the type of person who has to put much effort into learning things. I can usually pay attention in class and I'm golden. Not the case with Chem. I have avoided it my whole academic career. Never had it in H.S. avoided it in my first two degrees...it wasn't required and who the hell wants to take Chem as an elective?? NOT ME. But now its back to haunt me. My first attempt I decided to take it over the summer. Not such a great idea. An accelerated Chem class condensed into 5 weeks. Somehow I managed a "C". BUT, a "C" wont be very competitive going into grad school. Here I am again, taking it over kicking myself for not doing better the first time. Holdin' down that "A" right now, but believe me its a struggle. So yeahhh....I cannot wait until December when its all said and done. I'd be willing to bet there are a million typos in this but at this point I don't even care. My brain feels like mush. lol

Yesterday I hit legs again...just like I do every Sunday. Mainly because I have my training partner to spot me. We only get to lift Friday nights and Sundays together for the time being. He's been working 6 days a week, 12/13 hour days about an hour and a half from home. My schedule is insane with working two jobs, taking two classes with two labs, tutoring (yes tutoring...Chem makes my brain hurt.), and the wedding planning...its been nuts. One thing of the list now though. Thank goodness. Anyways, it was a decent lift. I wanted to do a few more movements, but my training partners wife came along with us. She's been wanting to get into lifting lately, and although I don't like to take time away from my own training sessions...she's a great friend so I felt obligated. Not to mention our schedules clash and Sundays are the only day that seems to work for us. I helped her a little with squats and for a beginner she did really well. So maybe I will have a female training partner sometime in the future. That's pretty much all I helped her with and she did her own thing after that....one major movement at a time and we will progress from there.

Legs:
10 min stairmaster to warm up the knees and hips
16" box squats bar x20, 135x12, 155x12, 175x12, 195x12, 205x10
SLDL w 60lb DBs 4x12....I feel DBs so much more than using a BB on SLs. and actually using a BB kind of irritates my hip a little. strange.
Lying ham curl 50lb 4x12 slow controlled, squeeze at the top
Leg extensions 60lb 4x12 slow controlled, squeeze at the top
Abduction 80lbs 4x15

Firefist
10-07-13, 9:58 pm
I hear ya friend. I hated Chem as well. Had to take 3 of them.... for a DPT program that I never ended up even applying to haha. You'll get it done, I just know it! Keep working hard!

deanna7272
10-07-13, 10:08 pm
Hmmm... Sounds like you need a girl's weekend... The weekend of October 26th, IF you're up to it... ;-)

fos3050
10-07-13, 10:12 pm
I hear ya friend. I hated Chem as well. Had to take 3 of them.... for a DPT program that I never ended up even applying to haha. You'll get it done, I just know it! Keep working hard!

and that's exactly why I am suffering...DPT program lol. and really this suffering doesn't end in December because Ill have to take Chem II. its so frustrating knowing its nothing I will ever use as a physical therapist and surely isn't a determinant of a good therapist. Wanna dress up as me and take Chem II for me?? lol Ill pay you!

fos3050
10-07-13, 10:12 pm
Hmmm... Sounds like you need a girl's weekend... The weekend of October 26th, IF you're up to it... ;-)

I'm down! Where we going?! haha

deanna7272
10-07-13, 10:13 pm
I'm down! Where we going?! haha

I will text ya... ;-)

Firefist
10-07-13, 10:16 pm
and that's exactly why I am suffering...DPT program lol. and really this suffering doesn't end in December because Ill have to take Chem II. its so frustrating knowing its nothing I will ever use as a physical therapist and surely isn't a determinant of a good therapist. Wanna dress up as me and take Chem II for me?? lol Ill pay you!

haha its been like 3 years since my last chem class. Id venture to say Id tank your grade haha.

fos3050
10-08-13, 11:09 pm
haha its been like 3 years since my last chem class. Id venture to say Id tank your grade haha.

ummm...I think I'll manage then lol. What are you doing now that you aren't pursuing your DPT?

fos3050
10-08-13, 11:14 pm
typical Tuesday.
Worked at the hospital, rushed home, taught spin, did yoga and called it a night.

I did however, convince my lifting partner to take yoga with me. I can't believe I convinced him! and I cant believe his response to it....he said it was worth doing again. I will say-it was kind of amusing and I had to hold back some LOLs watching him try to bend, twist, and contort his body. Good times.

Totally beat. headed to bed. Night all :)

fos3050
10-09-13, 10:08 pm
Wednesday: Shoulders

Band work and rotator work to warm up
DB press 35lb x 15, 45x12,12,12,12
Lateral raises TG machine 45lb x 15 for 4 sets
DB rears 4x12 w 20s
Plate raises 35lb plate, 4x12
/ DB lateral raises 20lbs 4x12
\ 10lb plate iso holds
shoulder bombs w 10lb DBs 3xfailure

nothing exciting today. kind of an in-and-out 45 min pump.

Firefist
10-09-13, 10:11 pm
ummm...I think I'll manage then lol. What are you doing now that you aren't pursuing your DPT?

Ahh im getting my masters in business focusing on finance and management haha. Had a sudden change of heart.

fos3050
10-13-13, 11:18 am
Ahh im getting my masters in business focusing on finance and management haha. Had a sudden change of heart.

That seems like a pretty legit route to take. Finance jobs are always available. I know you can't do much with a B.S. in business from experience :( lol

deanna7272
10-13-13, 5:51 pm
That seems like a pretty legit route to take. Finance jobs are always available. I know you can't do much with a B.S. in business from experience :( lol

My nephew graduated from OSU in the Spring with degrees in Finance and Chinese... He decided to go to Grad School in China, so he left this past June... Not sure what the circumstances were, but he now has a spot on a TV show over there making GOOD money (he has his own stylist, etc...lol). Crazy, crazy stuff...

fos3050
10-14-13, 7:55 am
My nephew graduated from OSU in the Spring with degrees in Finance and Chinese... He decided to go to Grad School in China, so he left this past June... Not sure what the circumstances were, but he now has a spot on a TV show over there making GOOD money (he has his own stylist, etc...lol). Crazy, crazy stuff...

Talk about getting lucky! that's awesome. I don't know that I could be that far away from home and survive, lol.

fos3050
10-14-13, 8:09 am
So I typed out my last two days of training in my log. Just as I was about to submit it my computer decided to restart itself. Cool!

Friday: Chest

BB flat bench 95x15, 115x12,12, 125x 8, 120x 10,10
rest as much as needed
pec dec (hands placed as high as possible on grips to hit front delts/upper chest) 70lb 4x12
1 min rest
DB flat bench flys 20lb 4x12, slow and controlled focusing on squeeze at top
1 min rest
BB incline bench 95lb 4x12
1 min rest
plyo push-ups 4x10
rest as much as needed

Sat: Back
hit back at La fitness. I love all the different equipment for back there. You can seriously hit your back from every angle.
Hammer Strength high row two 45's x15, two 45's & 10's x 12,12,12,12
1 min rest
/Hammer strength low row two 45's 4x15
\LB exts 4x15
no rest
upper back star trac row 55lbs 4x15
min rest
Standing cable rows to chest with V-grip 70lbs 4x10
min rest
LB exts with rotations to L & R 4x12 each side, no rest

Sunday: off day

Monday: AM fasted cardio, incline walk 45 min. HR btw 130-135
may try to do legs today depending on how much stuff I can get done between classes. Long day...class from 10-7.