PDA

View Full Version : Because you CAN train geared and raw simultaneously.

AnnaMcC
09-21-13, 1:24 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_jWoDdIIl4

recovery day for squat... 225x8

AM

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
09-23-13, 1:10 am
Very nice display of a very light warm-up! When are we going to see you move some heavy weights, LOL!

AnnaMcC
09-23-13, 10:27 am
Very nice display of a very light warm-up! When are we going to see you move some heavy weights, LOL!

Haha soon, very soon! I hit 365 easy for 2 the week before and I'll go for something like 385-390 for 2 this week... Been really focusing on squating in my gear at the moment so bare with me Ernie! :)

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
09-24-13, 1:35 am
You have amazing talent, in or out of gear! Nothing but RESPECT for you Anna! :)

AnnaMcC
09-24-13, 7:31 am
You have amazing talent, in or out of gear! Nothing but RESPECT for you Anna! :)

Ahh Ernie, thanks man! that means a lot coming from someone like you who's been successful in the sport for a while now

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
10-03-13, 1:24 am
Anna. you stand as a "Great Example" for all lifters to follow! Male or female, geared or raw, PROVING to all that it can be done, and very successfully at that!

AnnaMcC
10-03-13, 9:59 am
Anna. you stand as a "Great Example" for all lifters to follow! Male or female, geared or raw, PROVING to all that it can be done, and very successfully at that!

Ernie you are the best! That means so much to me coming from you! what an honor :) thank you so much

chromedome106
10-03-13, 6:13 pm
i train geared and raw as well cool to see someone else do it to

AnnaMcC
10-03-13, 9:11 pm
i train geared and raw as well cool to see someone else do it to

sweet.. I talked to Brandon about it, and its deff possible to improve in both so keep on keepin on :)

anonymous_burn
10-04-13, 11:53 am
This is as good a place to say this as any, Anna you are an amazing lifter and a great example of what women can do in the sport. I hope you keep it up for another 10ish years so I can show my daughters what you've done and what's possible for women in powerlifting.

AnnaMcC
10-05-13, 11:20 am
This is as good a place to say this as any, Anna you are an amazing lifter and a great example of what women can do in the sport. I hope you keep it up for another 10ish years so I can show my daughters what you've done and what's possible for women in powerlifting.

It means so much to hear you say that, thank you! I appreciate the support so much! And I hope to someday be considered a role model for girls everywhere

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
12-01-13, 10:01 pm
Just wanted to "bump" this thread back to the top in hope of getting some more posts. Many geared and RAW lifters out there wondering if both can be done.... 100% YES! Anna is an exceptional athlete with many skills outside of powerlifting, this is just the sport she so choose to DOMINATE! Best of luck to you Anna, and to all other lifters that possess the ability to walk on both sides! MAD RESPECT!!

AnnaMcC
12-02-13, 9:08 pm
Just wanted to "bump" this thread back to the top in hope of getting some more posts. Many geared and RAW lifters out there wondering if both can be done.... 100% YES! Anna is an exceptional athlete with many skills outside of powerlifting, this is just the sport she so choose to DOMINATE! Best of luck to you Anna, and to all other lifters that possess the ability to walk on both sides! MAD RESPECT!!

YES! I'm trying to get the point across, with you on my side, people would be dumb not to listen :)

Universal Rep
12-03-13, 10:44 am
sweet.. I talked to Brandon about it, and its deff possible to improve in both so keep on keepin on :)

I believe Kade Weber started in gear and then switched over to raw. I dont know if hes still competing in gear tho.

G Diesel
12-03-13, 11:52 am
Anna, huge respect for you as a lifter. Super impressive.

Quick question...

Why the gear? As a dude who has spent his adult life simply slinging the iron and trying to get stronger for the love of it, I always struggled figuring out the motivation for geared powerlifters.

An example I can think of would be when I was a kid, I could barely dunk a basketball with one hand. I did so from time to time, super inconsistently, though I worked my ass of and tried as hard as I could. Now if they made special sneakers with springs in them that raised my vertical another 6 inches, I could've dunked like Allen Iverson. But then it wouldn't really be me dunking, right?

I realize support is one issue, also maybe durability long term. I also understand the human urge to transcend limits. Is that what it is all about, ultimately? Just moving as much weight as possible?

Forgive my ignorance with this question. Just something I always wondered.

Peace, G

ACarter92
12-04-13, 9:05 am
Awesome Anna!

I don't understand why people think you can't train raw and geared simultaneously. Yes you have to learn your gear but if you don't have the strength underneath your shirt or suit, how can you expect to lift anything?

AnnaMcC
12-04-13, 9:10 am
Anna, huge respect for you as a lifter. Super impressive.

Quick question...

Why the gear? As a dude who has spent his adult life simply slinging the iron and trying to get stronger for the love of it, I always struggled figuring out the motivation for geared powerlifters.

An example I can think of would be when I was a kid, I could barely dunk a basketball with one hand. I did so from time to time, super inconsistently, though I worked my ass of and tried as hard as I could. Now if they made special sneakers with springs in them that raised my vertical another 6 inches, I could've dunked like Allen Iverson. But then it wouldn't really be me dunking, right?

I realize support is one issue, also maybe durability long term. I also understand the human urge to transcend limits. Is that what it is all about, ultimately? Just moving as much weight as possible?

Forgive my ignorance with this question. Just something I always wondered.

Peace, G

I like this question! For me, sometimes raw lifting just doesn't cut it. & I like the feeling of overload on my back in the squat. I don't know, it may have something to do with my 'never satisfied' mentality... But that's just it, when you go to a meet, you're not competing with raw lifters as well, you're competing with other geared lifters. People talk about geared lifting like its cheating, but cheating with what? People don't put on a squat suit because they want their raw squat to go up, its a COMPLETELY different skill. its not about moving more weight than you're raw numbers, its about bettering your geared numbers. I don't go and squat 400lbs raw and then say, well, I want to squat 500lbs raw, let me put on my suit, squat 600lbs, then see if I can squat 500 next week raw. NO. Believe me, you're talkin to the girl who pulls 480 raw and 475 in a suit. Of course you need a solid raw base to work with when you begin lifting in gear, but lets be real, you can't perfect you're geared squat by squatting raw just like you won't perfect your raw squat squatting in gear. I guess my point here is that I never categorize my raw and geared lifts. They're completely different and they require different training cycles to improve on both. I love the question though! thank you for asking :)

AM

AnnaMcC
12-04-13, 9:14 am
Awesome Anna!

I don't understand why people think you can't train raw and geared simultaneously. Yes you have to learn your gear but if you don't have the strength underneath your shirt or suit, how can you expect to lift anything?

agreed! It just requires more hard work, but as powerlifters, that should come to us naturally :)

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
12-12-13, 12:35 am
Spoken like the true professional you are Anna! Let's keep this going everyone...........Keep the questions and comments coming!