PDA

View Full Version : Sophisticated Savagery

Jay Nera
10-08-13, 10:38 pm
Animals, my name is Jay Nera. I’m a sponsored Animal athlete and a top ranked powerlifter in the 220 lb weight class. I’m known for my intensity under the bar, tight technique, and philosophical rants. It’s a great privilege to be a part of Animal. I look forward to answering any questions you guys throw at me so ask away.

Universal Rep
10-09-13, 10:36 am
How does ur readin of philosophy impact the way ya lift?

Jay Nera
10-09-13, 11:00 am
How does ur readin of philosophy impact the way ya lift?

That is a very good, important, yet broad question since philosophy impacts every single way we interact with the world. In powerlifting, it can change many things...for one, it can define how we set our goals and measure our progress. For example, we can be subjective or objective in measuring progress.

Subjective- I moved X amount of weight faster or better than every before.
Objective- I moved X amount of weight which I have never moved before or for more reps than ever before.

I used to solely be an objective lifter focused on making objective gains. Injuries have forced me to slow down on aggressively searching for PR's day in and day out and I have learned to take a more subjective approach to training in the off-season. As I start peaking for a competition my training will become objective as ultimately in powerlifting your TOTAL is objective. Examples of each are Sam Byrd''s subjective approach to squatting CAT and Dan Green's objective approach to hitting Pr's. Both clearly work.

There are hundreds of other aspects...perhaps this will be a good article for me to post in the future.

Animal
10-09-13, 11:02 am
That is a very good, important, yet broad question since philosophy impacts every single way we interact with the world. In powerlifting, it can change many things...for one, it can define how we set our goals and measure our progress. For example, we can be subjective or objective in measuring progress.

Objective- I moved X amount of weight which I have never moved before or for more reps than ever before.

I used to solely be an objective lifter focused on making objective gains. Injuries have forced me to slow down on aggressively searching for PR's day in and day out and I have learned to take a more subjective approach to training in the off-season. As I start peaking for a competition my training will become objective as ultimately in powerlifting your TOTAL is objective. Examples of each are Sam Byrd''s subjective approach to squatting CAT and Dan Green's objective approach to hitting Pr's. Both clearly work.

There are hundreds of other aspects...perhaps this will be a good article for me to post in the future.

Interesting. Do you have a favorite philosopher or school of thought you subscribe to?

Jay Nera
10-09-13, 11:21 am
Interesting. Do you have a favorite philosopher or school of thought you subscribe to?

Aristotle set the metaphysical framework down. I consider myself an Objectivist in the truest sense of the term. This is different than a Randist. My favourite philosophers, in no particular order are Ayn Rand, Leonard Peikoff, Stefan Molyneux, Nozick, Rothbard, Von Mises, to name a few (the last two are more considered to be economists). But in general, if the philosopher follows an aristotelian metaphysical approach I will be likely to agree with some things. If the philosopher has a platonian or a kantian approach..i will likely not even want to discuss/read anything unless the purpose is to understand and build my toolbox.

Universal Rep
10-09-13, 11:59 am

Thnx for the answer brotha. I understand ur trying to break BOSS' 220 record in Feb without wraps. Hows that goin?

Jay Nera
10-09-13, 10:07 pm
Thnx for the answer brotha. I understand ur trying to break BOSS' 220 record in Feb without wraps. Hows that goin?

Well, the leg injuries I have been dealing with for the past year and a bit have finally faded. I think if my training cycle goes as planned, surpassing that 2030 total is definitely in the cards. I have to consider that if Dan competes in the 220's at RUM he will be surpassing that number as well...and he is proudly aiming 'unreasonably' high. His unreasonably high is reasonable for him...if that makes sense. So my main focus is on simply putting together the best total I think I can achieve and I'll take it from there.

AWARD
10-10-13, 12:31 am
Animals, my name is Jay Nera. I’m a sponsored Animal athlete and a top ranked powerlifter in the 220 lb weight class. I’m known for my intensity under the bar, tight technique, and philosophical rants. It’s a great privilege to be a part of Animal. I look forward to answering any questions you guys throw at me so ask away.

You forgot to mention you're Canadian, we gotta represent. I read on your blog that you had some injuries holding you back. I had some problems with my sciatic nerve a couple months ago and mentally it was extremely tough to back off and not pull for a while. How did you deal with injuries mentally when you had yours? Glad that they're healed so you can compete

youngblood
10-11-13, 1:14 am
Hey Jay,

Youve got a very muscularture figure and seem to be fairly lean as well, what does a normal everyday diet look like for you? Do you stick to the same sort of meals day in day out? Do you ever relax from your diet and just eat/drink what you want? Would love to know your thoughts on diet and how someone should eat for maximum performance in the sport of powerlifting.

Cheers

youngblood
10-11-13, 1:17 am
Hey Jay,

Youve got a very muscularture figure and seem to be fairly lean as well, what does a normal everyday diet look like for you? Do you stick to the same sort of meals day in day out? Do you ever relax from your diet and just eat/drink what you want? Would love to know your thoughts on diet and how someone should eat for maximum performance in the sport of powerlifting.

Cheers

Also would love to know your stance on an athlete hiring a successful coach for programming or doing their own programming to learn what works for them etc.

Jay Nera
10-11-13, 1:52 am
You forgot to mention you're Canadian, we gotta represent. I read on your blog that you had some injuries holding you back. I had some problems with my sciatic nerve a couple months ago and mentally it was extremely tough to back off and not pull for a while. How did you deal with injuries mentally when you had yours? Glad that they're healed so you can compete

Where in Canada you from?
Man, learning to back off is the hardest thing for me. I've learned to do it well with regards to my squat but now I'm dealing with it with my forearm which has gotten to the point of not being able to hang from the pull up bar or make a strong fist. Mentally, it's tough,especially squatting because I feel that had I never hit those injuries I'd be squatting close to 800 by now...but at the same time its constantly wanting to squat more and more that caused the injuries so... I think mentally the best thing is not to get too far ahead of yourself and maintain integrity with your short-term goals while never losing sight of the long term ones. Sometimes you just have to accept that it may take 1 more meet to hit your goal or else it'll take many more meets to heal...this is something I say out of experience from Clash for Cash going into last RUM.... I should have competed in NEITHER. Both times I went into them not squatting for a month because of injuries... its fun and wild because you are attempting PR's with on pure aggression...but in the end...it's idiotic.
I hope you have the confidence I lacked to back off. The fun part is once you back off and try different exercises you get to set mini goals and mini prs etc....

Robbatista
10-11-13, 2:21 pm
Jay,

Do you do any prehab / rehab or injury prevention work on a regular basis? I'm 44 and have thankfully been injury free and want to keep it that way. I try to get therapeutic massage as often as possible to break up scar tissue but that's about it.

AWARD
10-11-13, 9:07 pm
Where in Canada you from?
Man, learning to back off is the hardest thing for me. I've learned to do it well with regards to my squat but now I'm dealing with it with my forearm which has gotten to the point of not being able to hang from the pull up bar or make a strong fist. Mentally, it's tough,especially squatting because I feel that had I never hit those injuries I'd be squatting close to 800 by now...but at the same time its constantly wanting to squat more and more that caused the injuries so... I think mentally the best thing is not to get too far ahead of yourself and maintain integrity with your short-term goals while never losing sight of the long term ones. Sometimes you just have to accept that it may take 1 more meet to hit your goal or else it'll take many more meets to heal...this is something I say out of experience from Clash for Cash going into last RUM.... I should have competed in NEITHER. Both times I went into them not squatting for a month because of injuries... its fun and wild because you are attempting PR's with on pure aggression...but in the end...it's idiotic.
I hope you have the confidence I lacked to back off. The fun part is once you back off and try different exercises you get to set mini goals and mini prs etc....

Great advice man, I'm from Toronto. We're also in need of a kick ass gym in the east end. I'll definitely take your advice, setting mini goals on other things helps a bunch. Thanks dude

Jay Nera
10-13-13, 11:11 pm
Hey Jay,

Cheers

Hey man,
Yeah, I am a pretty light 220 considering that i normally walk around at between 226-228 and guys like Sam Byrd and Dan Green walk around well above 240 and sometimes dabble in the 250's. This is something that I am actually modifying for my next meet. I am trying to gain weight right now.
For the past 3 years I have been eating a low/moderate carb intake (100-150g carbs a day) paleo-ish style of nutrition. All of my meals are almost always based off of animal meats, eggs, or fish(rarely). ANd then I throw in veggies. I don't say I'm paleo because I still take a lot of supplements. I use a lot of protein powders and branch chain amines like crazy. When I feel like it i'll eat the bread on burgers(i love burgers, double or triple burgers to be exact)...you can't really go to too many burger places in Ottawa where they don't know me as that guy who orders stacked up burgers. I also, eat a lot of cheese. Almost everyday in the evening I have some pressed cottage cheese and I also like to cook with butter.
I would moderate my carbs based off of my body weight, how I feel, and how my strength is feeling....
But now I am trying to gain some weight so what I have been doing is shooting for 300-400g of carbs a day(primarily post workout)...

Jay Nera
10-13-13, 11:23 pm
Also would love to know your stance on an athlete hiring a successful coach for programming or doing their own programming to learn what works for them etc.[/QUOTE]

I personally have never had a coach for programming. My entire athletic career has been self-coaching. This is unfortunate for me because I feel my athletic potential would have been expressed much earlier in life and the ceiling on my abilities much higher....for example... I didn't learn how to squat properly until I was 22. In Canada, if you are not playing hockey, most high school dont do jack for you.
I look at guys like my training partner who has a powerlifting age of 7 yrs and he's 23 versus me with a powerlifting age of 4 and Im 31.... his potential is crazy!! ie...Eric Lillibridge.

So given that I think I could have gained greatly in the past from having a coach. Do I think I would hire one now? I'm not sure. I dont think anyone would care about my training more than me so I'd have a hard time giving up the reigns on my PL career. But i would definitely seek help and advice. I think that the most important thing for people to grasp is the CONCEPTS behind different coaches programs, strategies, philosophies etc... sometimes I see some people dabbling in and out of methods and not understanding the concepts behind them. FOr example, how many people do 5-3-1 without the accessory work and then complain when they don't get results... or How many crossfitters out there are crossfitting and doing Smolov cycles...its idiotic...they might as well be running marathons too.

I think that the most important thing for people to understand is that there is not one program or method or whatever that will make them strong. It's an entire process that has to be embraced. It is important to realize that everyone is at a different area on their diminishing returns curves, at different plateaus, has different weaknesses to address etc.... so getting to know yourself as a puzzle is very important.

This doesn't go for weightlifting. But for powerlifting, one thing I have noticed in the raw world is that a lot of the guys moving huge numbers do their own things....and I bet if we could talk to each and everyone one of them for only 30 minutes we'd each learn something new or at least gain a new perspective.

Jay Nera
10-13-13, 11:28 pm
Jay,

Do you do any prehab / rehab or injury prevention work on a regular basis? I'm 44 and have thankfully been injury free and want to keep it that way. I try to get therapeutic massage as often as possible to break up scar tissue but that's about it.

Rob,
I do the AGILE 8 religiously and stretch my hip flexors out like crazy. On upper body days i go over the agile 8 smashing out any pain spots and on lower body days I do it fast and aggressively as part of my warm up.
The lacross ball is huge to use on the back, glutes and chest for me.

I have a lot of mobility issues, ie I cannot wash my back without a loofa on a stick, and this cannot be good for long term health.

I should be doing a lot more work. for example my front rack position is horrific so I should be trying to regain this. There is no doubt that improving T-spine mobility and shoulder mobility can improve the lifts.

Chivalry
10-14-13, 6:17 pm

Hey Jay. Welcome to the Animal family.
It's pretty cool to see someone else who is interested in philosophy and even incorporates it into their life and lifting even. I've always had a very fond place for it.

Now, onto a question.

I widened my stance, just a little, in squatting several months back and now I've been having a pain in the upper part of my calf whenever I go down to parallel or below that's been affecting my depth/power out of the bottom. I have went back to feet just a little outside of shoulder width, but the pain is still there.
Do you happen to have any knowledge on what this might be or how I might help work that out?

I appreciate it man.

Jay Nera
10-14-13, 10:37 pm
Hey Jay. Welcome to the Animal family.
It's pretty cool to see someone else who is interested in philosophy and even incorporates it into their life and lifting even. I've always had a very fond place for it.

Now, onto a question.

I widened my stance, just a little, in squatting several months back and now I've been having a pain in the upper part of my calf whenever I go down to parallel or below that's been affecting my depth/power out of the bottom. I have went back to feet just a little outside of shoulder width, but the pain is still there.
Do you happen to have any knowledge on what this might be or how I might help work that out?

I appreciate it man.

I wish I could answer that question with absolute certainty but I cannot. Your calves could have been tight and widening of the stance shifts the lift from a more quad dominant to a more posterior chain dominant lift. Right around 90 your hamstrings are really stretched out and if your calves are very tight it could be pulling on them hard(specifically your gastronemius). I would try really rolling out your gastros and your hammies and also stretching them(not too vigorously and not at the same time). A good one to try is putting an oly bar on the safety pins of a squat rack at about hip level or below, place your calve on it and roll up and down that bar.....
I hope that these things help out but i have little experience with this pain. Of course its always a good idea to seek an expert in this field which is what I would do if the problem persists.

Chivalry
10-16-13, 6:03 pm
Thanks for the advice, Jay. I'll definitely give that stretch/rolling out a try and see if that'll help out with it.

Universal Rep
11-26-13, 10:17 am
Can ya briefly summarize ur take on CAT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3zRhdpjaMc

shortstack
11-26-13, 10:54 am
Crazy training brother.

This past weekend I read that you do the Agile 8 and started to implement it this week and love it. I had a great training day today and feel much better than in previous weeks. Glad that I saw it and have started using it.

Universal Rep
12-04-13, 1:16 pm
Also, is it easier to train yourself or to train others (Pale Rider)? Haha.

Jay Nera
12-15-13, 12:44 pm
Crazy training brother.

This past weekend I read that you do the Agile 8 and started to implement it this week and love it. I had a great training day today and feel much better than in previous weeks. Glad that I saw it and have started using it.

Hey thats great to hear. I hope it helps out a lot. I waiting until I had major injuries to start doing more preventative things. I think had I started earlier I would have encountered the many issues I have these days. Lift strong.

Jay Nera
12-15-13, 12:47 pm

Even briefly would take a lot of words. Here is an article I wrote on my blog when I got a lot of questions regarding the off-season I do.

http://www.upstrong.blogspot.ca/2013/08/off-season-squatim-catman.html

Jay Nera
12-15-13, 12:55 pm
Also, is it easier to train yourself or to train others (Pale Rider)? Haha.

Its neither one nor the other. Training others allows you to have a more objective view of the training because you going soley off of numbers and what you see. Training yourself, you have go off of how you feel. With others you have to moderate their egos but but ego is not involved...when training yourself you have to be aware of your own ego.

I wouldnt favour one more than the other except that I like training and I am not sure if I would ever hand over myself for someone else to train.

As for Kade, although he is a Dynamo Barbell prodigy he does a lot of thinking and experimenting for himself. He watches and learns. He's very simple when it comes to approaching his training and it is very effective. ALthough he's trained under me and Willie Albert for years I wouldn't say anyone is his coach.
We both use aspects of CAT, we both like russian power. In the squat Kade is doing 8-5-3's ... we just discuss what we're doing, discuss ideas...and go from there... Kade for this RUM has been kind of like Bruce Lee in that he's taken what has worked in his bench in the past and is using it...has taken what has worked for his dead and is using it...and taken whats he's used years ago when he was a single ply lifter and is trying it for the squat.

NeilD181
12-30-13, 6:18 am
Hello Jay, same question ive also put to Dan- what are your 'peaking' strategies going into a meet? Ie how far out do you have your heaviest session on each lift? Do you follow this up with lower intensity sessions up to a meet or is the heaviest workout usually your last before the meet? Any other thoughts on how to peak would be very interesting!!

Nice to see you getting the animal sponsor, followed your progress for a long time now and always been impressed.

Chivalry
01-02-14, 7:39 pm
Hey Jay,

I was wondering what you're thoughts on what they call the 'dead bench, starting from the chest and letting it rest completely on the racks before pressing again? What part does this translate over to more when moving back into the competition bench?

JeremyT
01-04-14, 11:15 am
Hey Jay,

I just moved to Ottawa a couple of months ago and realize you live and train here too! Checked out 'dynamo barbell' on the site and it looks pretty sweet. Although I have been training for a few years now (off and on I should say) I have never been able to add much size, still sitting around 165 at 6'2". Maybe once I bulk up a bit I will have the courage to come on down to your gym and lift with some strong guys, for now I'll stick to doing it by myself! I'm going to a gym here in Ottawa now, but luckily don't have a contract. We will see what the new year brings! Look forward to maybe meeting you soon.

Jay Nera
01-05-14, 8:42 pm
Hello Jay, same question ive also put to Dan- what are your 'peaking' strategies going into a meet? Ie how far out do you have your heaviest session on each lift? Do you follow this up with lower intensity sessions up to a meet or is the heaviest workout usually your last before the meet? Any other thoughts on how to peak would be very interesting!!

Nice to see you getting the animal sponsor, followed your progress for a long time now and always been impressed.

Peaking strategies...
High volume moderate intensity far out from comp...as you near the competition the weights get heavier and the volume drops off. For example, far away from a meet I might use 60% intensity for 5 sets of 8 reps, approx 23000 lbs of volume....close to a competition I'll be performing 3 sets of 3 with 90% for say 6480lbs of volume.
As long as there is a linear progression where the weights gradually get heavier and the volume tapers youre on the right track. The only exception I have ever had to this would be right now because I am working around injuries which not only messes up the programming aspect of it and just sucks in general....it takes away confidence which is something that a nice steady progression usually helps one build.

I like to max my deadlift 2 weeks out, and max my bench and squat 1 week out. Not necessarily a 1 RM, but at least a heavy double or triple at 95%+.

If i compete on a Saturday, my last training day will be the Tuesday( which is usually 60% in the squat for 2-3 sets of 5-8 reps and maybe a heavy walkout. But all training from the previous saturday forward will be light easy ones more geared toward keeping everything feeling fresh and getting some blood moving.
When you train 6 days a week, taking 4 days off is plenty of time to let the CNS bounce back. After 4 days of doing nothing...and really, Sunday to the next Saturday because the 'workouts' are 10 minutes and very easy... the body feels primed.
It would be different for someone who only days 3 times a week... they're body is used to much less stimulus...so they take two weeks off and thats 6 training sessions...
I got this from Abajiev and his work in Bulgaria with weightlifting.

Jay Nera
01-05-14, 8:45 pm
Hey Jay,

I was wondering what you're thoughts on what they call the 'dead bench, starting from the chest and letting it rest completely on the racks before pressing again? What part does this translate over to more when moving back into the competition bench?

To be honest with you I have never done it long enough to see if it was beneficial. I found the set up difficult and inconsistent. Lowering to a dead stop and then lifting could be good and beneficial but starting from the bottom is not something I have really cared to try. Sorry I cannot really help on this one but I didn't see enough value in it to incorporate it into my training. Kade tried it for a few weeks unracking from the top and then lowering to the pins and letting the muscles go slack and then pressing... he thinks it has contributed to his sore elbows.

Jay Nera
01-05-14, 8:53 pm
Hey Jay,

I just moved to Ottawa a couple of months ago and realize you live and train here too! Checked out 'dynamo barbell' on the site and it looks pretty sweet. Although I have been training for a few years now (off and on I should say) I have never been able to add much size, still sitting around 165 at 6'2". Maybe once I bulk up a bit I will have the courage to come on down to your gym and lift with some strong guys, for now I'll stick to doing it by myself! I'm going to a gym here in Ottawa now, but luckily don't have a contract. We will see what the new year brings! Look forward to maybe meeting you soon.

SO...let me get this straight Jeremy.

I will make you bigger and stronger...but you won't come lift here until you are bigger and stronger? My training partner is Kade Weber, and the guy I am chasing in Dan Green...so I often feel like the smallest and weakest... you can avoid it..or you can embrace it....
If you are the strongest guy in the room...you're in the wrong room.
I'll see you sooner than later.

NeilD181
01-06-14, 3:00 pm
Peaking strategies...
High volume moderate intensity far out from comp...as you near the competition the weights get heavier and the volume drops off. For example, far away from a meet I might use 60% intensity for 5 sets of 8 reps, approx 23000 lbs of volume....close to a competition I'll be performing 3 sets of 3 with 90% for say 6480lbs of volume.
As long as there is a linear progression where the weights gradually get heavier and the volume tapers youre on the right track. The only exception I have ever had to this would be right now because I am working around injuries which not only messes up the programming aspect of it and just sucks in general....it takes away confidence which is something that a nice steady progression usually helps one build.

I like to max my deadlift 2 weeks out, and max my bench and squat 1 week out. Not necessarily a 1 RM, but at least a heavy double or triple at 95%+.

If i compete on a Saturday, my last training day will be the Tuesday( which is usually 60% in the squat for 2-3 sets of 5-8 reps and maybe a heavy walkout. But all training from the previous saturday forward will be light easy ones more geared toward keeping everything feeling fresh and getting some blood moving.
When you train 6 days a week, taking 4 days off is plenty of time to let the CNS bounce back. After 4 days of doing nothing...and really, Sunday to the next Saturday because the 'workouts' are 10 minutes and very easy... the body feels primed.
It would be different for someone who only days 3 times a week... they're body is used to much less stimulus...so they take two weeks off and thats 6 training sessions...
I got this from Abajiev and his work in Bulgaria with weightlifting.

Thanks very much for that, reinforces my own thoughts.

Chivalry
01-07-14, 11:18 pm
To be honest with you I have never done it long enough to see if it was beneficial. I found the set up difficult and inconsistent. Lowering to a dead stop and then lifting could be good and beneficial but starting from the bottom is not something I have really cared to try. Sorry I cannot really help on this one but I didn't see enough value in it to incorporate it into my training. Kade tried it for a few weeks unracking from the top and then lowering to the pins and letting the muscles go slack and then pressing... he thinks it has contributed to his sore elbows.

I appreciate the honesty and your view on it and with what Kade has experienced with it. I know it definitely feels like an awkward movement starting from the bottom like that, might stay away from it before my meet.

Thanks Jay

AWARD
01-10-14, 12:44 am
Whats up Jay, hope your training's going well. Had a question aside from training, what are some of your fav albums/artists? Saw you like Black Keys (they rock) and was wondering if you had any other recommendations. Thanks, pulling for you at RUM!

Jay Nera
01-10-14, 11:58 pm
I appreciate the honesty and your view on it and with what Kade has experienced with it. I know it definitely feels like an awkward movement starting from the bottom like that, might stay away from it before my meet.

Thanks Jay

If your meet is close definitely stay away from it. Let me know if it helps with any progress. I forgot to add that personally I do not like the lift in theory. For example, I agree with pause because they force you to maintain tension at the bottom along with proper positioning. So doing them in the same manner as Kade chose to try makes more sense to me because there is an eccentric loading and you are lowering it to the proper position. Now although you do not maintain full tension in the amortization period you will be maintaining at least a small portion of it and because you lowered it into the proper position at least there will be more consistency in the concentric portion of the lift...this is similar to the floor press of course.

Jay Nera
01-11-14, 12:00 am
Thanks very much for that, reinforces my own thoughts.

Pretty much most of my thoughts come from Yuri Verkhoshansky and Ivan Abajiev when it comes to training. The SAID principle is the one I hold dearest when looking at concepts... ...and I believe that there are many ways to skin a cat.

Jay Nera
01-11-14, 12:12 am
Whats up Jay, hope your training's going well. Had a question aside from training, what are some of your fav albums/artists? Saw you like Black Keys (they rock) and was wondering if you had any other recommendations. Thanks, pulling for you at RUM!

I love music.... Bobby said it best when he said, " one good thing about music is when it hits you feel no pain." I listen to all types of different music depending on what I'm doing.

I'm going to assume you like the Keys. My favourite albums by them are Magic Potion and Chulahoma. Chulahoma is probably one of my favourite albums all together. I'm a big blues rock fan. Jimi Hendrix is huge to me. Little Wing is imo the best song and ends so abruptly at the climax which to me is what I call a samurai ending....a hara kiri after a beautiful battle. Any one who was influenced by Son House or Robert Johnson I will likely enjoy. I listen to them when I'm chilling. Jack White is brilliant.

I'm a huge reggae fan, but the older stuff such as Barrington Levy... awesome to cook and clean to haha.

99% of new hip hop sucks imo. Everything after 2005 seems to have changed. It used to be about stepping up coming up outta the gutter, taking whats yours, being a go getter....and then somewhere down the lines it became this stupid entitled pussified codeine rap about nothing but drinking and partying..... DMX, 50, Wu, Shyne, Nas, love Clipse, and old Dre.. etc... good for trianing...Hatebreed is the most empowering music and I love it but if i listen to it while i'm driving I get a little intense in traffic.

But man..i'll even listen to Florence and the Machine and Lana Del Rey..even some niche stuff like Fever Ray....miseducation of lauren hill is another all time fav of mine... all depends what i'm doing. Such a broad question... just like whether or not geared or raw lifters are stronger etc... strong is strong... passionate music is passionate music....

all I know is i HATE what is passing for music today and it makes me feel like an old man.

AWARD
01-11-14, 4:16 pm
I love music.... Bobby said it best when he said, " one good thing about music is when it hits you feel no pain." I listen to all types of different music depending on what I'm doing.

I'm going to assume you like the Keys. My favourite albums by them are Magic Potion and Chulahoma. Chulahoma is probably one of my favourite albums all together. I'm a big blues rock fan. Jimi Hendrix is huge to me. Little Wing is imo the best song and ends so abruptly at the climax which to me is what I call a samurai ending....a hara kiri after a beautiful battle. Any one who was influenced by Son House or Robert Johnson I will likely enjoy. I listen to them when I'm chilling. Jack White is brilliant.

I'm a huge reggae fan, but the older stuff such as Barrington Levy... awesome to cook and clean to haha.

99% of new hip hop sucks imo. Everything after 2005 seems to have changed. It used to be about stepping up coming up outta the gutter, taking whats yours, being a go getter....and then somewhere down the lines it became this stupid entitled pussified codeine rap about nothing but drinking and partying..... DMX, 50, Wu, Shyne, Nas, love Clipse, and old Dre.. etc... good for trianing...Hatebreed is the most empowering music and I love it but if i listen to it while i'm driving I get a little intense in traffic.

But man..i'll even listen to Florence and the Machine and Lana Del Rey..even some niche stuff like Fever Ray....miseducation of lauren hill is another all time fav of mine... all depends what i'm doing. Such a broad question... just like whether or not geared or raw lifters are stronger etc... strong is strong... passionate music is passionate music....

all I know is i HATE what is passing for music today and it makes me feel like an old man.

Awesome man, similar taste. I listen to a lot of genres.. I've been listening to Passover by the Keys. And I'm only 24 but can't stand music today, refuse to listen to most radio stations. Hatebreed is badass, Slayer for training is great too.. And what's passing for hip hop is embarrassing today, you said it. It's literally on par with mainstream club music, which is sad.. but this may make you happy, could be promising - http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jan/08/clipse-comeback-album-neptunes

AWARD
01-11-14, 11:05 pm
Passover by the Black Angels I meant, another great band in addition to the Keys.

Jay Nera
01-12-14, 12:27 pm
Awesome man, similar taste. I listen to a lot of genres.. I've been listening to Passover by the Keys. And I'm only 24 but can't stand music today, refuse to listen to most radio stations. Hatebreed is badass, Slayer for training is great too.. And what's passing for hip hop is embarrassing today, you said it. It's literally on par with mainstream club music, which is sad.. but this may make you happy, could be promising - http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jan/08/clipse-comeback-album-neptunes

I am definitely looking forward to that new Clipse album. Although, I am not sure how it will turn out with there no longer being a Malice...but now a No Malice.

Yeah, Black Angels used to be big on my training list. i am classically conditioned to get wild at Young Men Dead. This will be my first RUM where that isn't my theme song. I just decided to switch it up a bit.

JeremyT
01-13-14, 9:18 am
SO...let me get this straight Jeremy.

I will make you bigger and stronger...but you won't come lift here until you are bigger and stronger? My training partner is Kade Weber, and the guy I am chasing in Dan Green...so I often feel like the smallest and weakest... you can avoid it..or you can embrace it....
If you are the strongest guy in the room...you're in the wrong room.
I'll see you sooner than later.

So very true. I mainly center my workouts around the weekend. Any training groups then? I also had one question for you. I'm 6'2" and I have been reading to that to reach my strength potential people were recommending that I would have to be in like the 275/308 weight class. Seems crazy to me. Have you ever seen a pure ecto tall guy ever reliably weigh over 220? I would have like 60 pounds to add even to there. As an adendum to that should I try to out right dirty bulk to just add mass for strength or should I do something more moderate and stay a bit lean?

Thanks!

Jay Nera
01-26-14, 12:15 pm
So very true. I mainly center my workouts around the weekend. Any training groups then? I also had one question for you. I'm 6'2" and I have been reading to that to reach my strength potential people were recommending that I would have to be in like the 275/308 weight class. Seems crazy to me. Have you ever seen a pure ecto tall guy ever reliably weigh over 220? I would have like 60 pounds to add even to there. As an adendum to that should I try to out right dirty bulk to just add mass for strength or should I do something more moderate and stay a bit lean?

Thanks!

I think you need to stop focusing on the number on the scale and start focusing on progressively increasing the number of lbs lifted. Focusing on getting stronger and eating plenty should be where you mind is at. Set objective goals and start moving towards them.

I used to always be concerned with how much I weighed….then I started powerlifting where it matters more how much you lift IN RELATION to how much you weigh. You can gain garbage weight and not get stronger…is that what you want? Obviously not…but it is safe to say that if you keep getting stronger and are eating a proper aount of food under a proper macro nutrient template…that your body composition will shift along with the number on the scale… But, the number on the scale is a side effect, not the goal.

Layhoo
01-27-14, 10:28 pm
Hey Jay,

What's the first thing you do when you walk into a bar and see a girl you think is attractive?

On a real note if there was one thing you wish you could have known during your early lifting years what would it have been?

Can't wait to see how you do at RUM.

Jay Nera
01-29-14, 12:21 am
Hey Jay,

What's the first thing you do when you walk into a bar and see a girl you think is attractive?

On a real note if there was one thing you wish you could have known during your early lifting years what would it have been?

LOLOLOLOL. SOme of the things in those podcasts will forever haunt me.

Jay Nera
01-29-14, 12:29 am
Hey Jay,

There are so many things I wish I could have changed and its weird to think about.
For powerlifting, I wish I would have started much earlier. I didn't start powerlifting until i was about 27(I'm 31) so when I look at my training partner, Kade, who has been powerlifting for a couple years longer than I have and is still only 23 years old, I wonder how much better I could be had I started earlier and forced my body to adapt to this sport going through puberty etc….
I didn't start back squatting until i was around 21 or 22 years old (405lbs x 5 off balance high bar)…. but had I started earlier i would have never enjoyed other sports that I excelled at such as basketball, football, and bobsleigh…so its tough…. because if i were to change something…id have to change other things… and I like the path I've traveled….

I guess, I would have incorporated more mobility for sure because its crazy for me to think that I could probably clean 200kg now but can't prove it because I can't maintain a proper front rack position… and mobility would have aided in injuries as well. Let's just sum it up with if i could have learned something earlier…its that intensity doesn't cure injuries…
and working through pain only causes more pain in the long run… but even now I have a hard time accepting that.

its really a tough question for me….i wish I could answer it better.

Layhoo
01-29-14, 12:52 am
LOLOLOLOL. SOme of the things in those podcasts will forever haunt me.

There are so many things I wish I could have changed and its weird to think about.
For powerlifting, I wish I would have started much earlier. I didn't start powerlifting until i was about 27(I'm 31) so when I look at my training partner, Kade, who has been powerlifting for a couple years longer than I have and is still only 23 years old, I wonder how much better I could be had I started earlier and forced my body to adapt to this sport going through puberty etc….
I didn't start back squatting until i was around 21 or 22 years old (405lbs x 5 off balance high bar)…. but had I started earlier i would have never enjoyed other sports that I excelled at such as basketball, football, and bobsleigh…so its tough…. because if i were to change something…id have to change other things… and I like the path I've traveled….

I guess, I would have incorporated more mobility for sure because its crazy for me to think that I could probably clean 200kg now but can't prove it because I can't maintain a proper front rack position… and mobility would have aided in injuries as well. Let's just sum it up with if i could have learned something earlier…its that intensity doesn't cure injuries…
and working through pain only causes more pain in the long run… but even now I have a hard time accepting that.

its really a tough question for me….i wish I could answer it better.

Probably haha but there certainly is benefit in it. It exposed me to some of the principles you train and live by. Before that I just new you were good at lifting heavy stuff. That led me to start reading your blog and your blog led me here. Now I have the opportunity to draw knowledge directly from the sports best. It is fucking awesome and I appreciate that answer because my front rack position blows too.

shortstack
01-29-14, 11:11 am

Just when I didn't think you could get any "cooler" I my book, not that that matters for shit, you listen to one of my top 5 bands and pick Chulahoma as a favorite album. haha As a guitar player I can tell the level of musical understanding a person has by if they reference that album as a good Black Keys album. Dans ablility to capture Kimbough's mojo or Vaughns ability to mimic Albert Kings sound is something I try and capture but man it's tough!! Wouldn't be good if it wasn't.

Sorry to take over with all the music stuff but you kind of blew my mind for a second.

Jay Nera
02-24-14, 1:32 am
Just when I didn't think you could get any "cooler" I my book, not that that matters for shit, you listen to one of my top 5 bands and pick Chulahoma as a favorite album. haha As a guitar player I can tell the level of musical understanding a person has by if they reference that album as a good Black Keys album. Dans ablility to capture Kimbough's mojo or Vaughns ability to mimic Albert Kings sound is something I try and capture but man it's tough!! Wouldn't be good if it wasn't.

Sorry to take over with all the music stuff but you kind of blew my mind for a second.

Its all good man. Music is like weather….can make or break your day sometimes because it sets a tone…and everyone likes to talk about the weather whether great or bad..same goes for music. :)

Learning to play some of that would be pretty cool. Or even the finger style like that of Robert Johnson, Son House, or Charlie Patton.

shortstack
02-28-14, 12:03 pm
Its all good man. Music is like weather….can make or break your day sometimes because it sets a tone…and everyone likes to talk about the weather whether great or bad..same goes for music. :)

Learning to play some of that would be pretty cool. Or even the finger style like that of Robert Johnson, Son House, or Charlie Patton.

Very Nice. That stuff is very difficult for me to follow along with but I'm getting better at it. All 3 were amazing players and when you have guys Like Clapton trying to recreate Robert Johnsons sound and still not quite getting it, it gives me hope to keep trying.

JBaron
03-05-14, 8:33 pm
Hey Jay,

I was wondering what your thoughts on front squats were? Do you ever do them as an accessory movement, or do you just stick to back squats? I see some strong squatters practice the front squat but I'm not sure how valid a movement it is if I'm solely training for powerlifting. Awesome to see you at the Cage last weekend, by the way.

Jay Nera
03-12-14, 12:20 am
Hey Jay,

I was wondering what your thoughts on front squats were? Do you ever do them as an accessory movement, or do you just stick to back squats? I see some strong squatters practice the front squat but I'm not sure how valid a movement it is if I'm solely training for powerlifting. Awesome to see you at the Cage last weekend, by the way.

I think front squats are one of the most important lifts to aid in both the squat and the deadlift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCwC4PaQvjI

JTNT
03-12-14, 10:01 pm
Q1) Can I pay a fee just to train at dynamo? or does it have to include coaching or something?
Q2) What does your current training look like? Meet plans?

JBaron
03-13-14, 9:21 am
I think front squats are one of the most important lifts to aid in both the squat and the deadlift.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Jay Nera
03-19-14, 1:41 am
Q1) Can I pay a fee just to train at dynamo? or does it have to include coaching or something?
Q2) What does your current training look like? Meet plans?

1) Dynamo has two programs, a crossfit program and a barbell program. No you don't get to come in a do whatever you want. Yes, you have to be coached…but that doesn't mean if you want to try something I would say no…I am open minded…we just want what you want…for you to get stronger…to not get stronger training at Dynamo doesn't happen…unless you don't listen to us or train with intensity…its that simple.

2) I am taking it easy. Focusing on eating more and trying to gain weight. I like competing behind Dan Green so I want to gain weight and potential compete in the 242s and drop to the 220's when I have a challenge at that all-time…for now…bigger and stronger. Not really sure when the next meet will be.

Theonidus
04-07-14, 10:58 am
Fan girling so hard over here.

Jay Nera
04-28-14, 10:09 am
Probably haha but there certainly is benefit in it. It exposed me to some of the principles you train and live by. Before that I just new you were good at lifting heavy stuff. That led me to start reading your blog and your blog led me here. Now I have the opportunity to draw knowledge directly from the sports best. It is fucking awesome and I appreciate that answer because my front rack position blows too.

Very cool that you've read some of my stuff and will follow me on here. I wonder what else those podcasts have led people to do haha.

Fry!
04-29-14, 4:16 pm
Your style of lifting is really fashionable, but i recently saw you doing, some cleans and i would ask: is your main goal now powerlifting?

BJ Whitehead
05-02-14, 7:44 am
Hey Jay. Wanted to say thanks! I watched your video on how you warmed up for back squats with front squats. I did that Wednesday and it helped a ton. I'm still not up to heavy weight but it felt really good once I got to my working sets. Thanks again!!

freighttraindane
05-02-14, 10:26 am

thanks for posting this again. i need to start to incorporate front squats into my training.

Jay Nera
05-16-14, 1:58 am
DYNAMO BARBELL will be hosting it's first ANIMAL BARBELL CLUB meet up!! Kade 'Pale Rider' Weber and myself will be hang in and clanging weights.

The UNIVERSAL ROAD TRIP WILL BE JOINING!! ( Frank, Antoine, & Tony)

Will you be there?

WHEN:
Tuesday, June 3rd
7:30pm until 9:30pm

WHERE:
DYNAMO BARBELL
21 Grenfell Crescent Units 2 & 3
Ottawa, Ontario
K2G 0G3
(613)218-4335

WHO:
Anyone who's addicted to the iron.

J Wong
05-23-14, 3:30 pm
^^ I bet that's going to be a great time!

J Wong
06-05-14, 8:03 pm
I saw on RP your weight is getting up there. Are you getting bigger for 220 before making the cut or going to 242?

I guess that's similar to the question you asked me!

Jay Nera
06-06-14, 2:19 am
I saw on RP your weight is getting up there. Are you getting bigger for 220 before making the cut or going to 242?

I guess that's similar to the question you asked me!

Regardless of whether I choose to lift in the 242's or 220's i need to add some mass. 220 is the class that i consider my home, but i may dabble with the 242's a bit….and knee wraps.

ps…750 squat!! Congrats!! Thats HUGE

AWARD
06-26-14, 10:59 pm
For anyone who hasn't seen check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgTOGyGwOhQ

This was awesome Jay. Past couple months my technique has been all over the place - this really reminded me what's important.

I recently got some Adidas 'Powerlifts' (smaller heel than the Adipowers) and have been a bit thrown off by "pushing my knees out" at the bottom. My stance is shoulder width and used to squat in chucks.. Will def toy around with using my vastus medialis at the bottom and finishing off with knees out. Thanks man

BJ Whitehead
06-26-14, 11:52 pm
Great video Jay! Very informative and understandable. Cues were on point.

J Wong
06-27-14, 12:06 am
Agree with BJ. Great tutorial man.

Jay Nera
06-30-14, 11:13 pm
Great video Jay! Very informative and understandable. Cues were on point.

Thanks man. Lots of positive feedback on that one. Pretty happy with it…almost want to do a part 2 now to cover more itty bitty things..

Jay Nera
06-30-14, 11:17 pm
For anyone who hasn't seen check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgTOGyGwOhQ

This was awesome Jay. Past couple months my technique has been all over the place - this really reminded me what's important.

I recently got some Adidas 'Powerlifts' (smaller heel than the Adipowers) and have been a bit thrown off by "pushing my knees out" at the bottom. My stance is shoulder width and used to squat in chucks.. Will def toy around with using my vastus medialis at the bottom and finishing off with knees out. Thanks man

Im a little worried that people are going to start purposefully pushing their knees in when they squat… that is not what I meant in the video…its not about pushing the knees in…its about trying to stand up…and if the knees go in..its not a bad thing(to an extent) .. I am not saying that you will squat like this. BUt i do need to say it. I hope that what you've taken away from that video helps you get that squat up.

rshelton242
07-01-14, 11:56 am
Jay I watched this video yesterday before going to squat. I have been in a rutfor 2 months couldnt groove a squat just all around having bad sessions. Last nights session after applying the stuff in this video i have never felt so good and especially tighter then i have ever been squatting.

so thanks for this great video it was a huge help.

Jay Nera
07-16-14, 10:44 pm
Jay I watched this video yesterday before going to squat. I have been in a rutfor 2 months couldnt groove a squat just all around having bad sessions. Last nights session after applying the stuff in this video i have never felt so good and especially tighter then i have ever been squatting.

so thanks for this great video it was a huge help.

Thanks for sharing that with me. It means a lot to be able to help. If you have instagram or fb feel free to send or tag a vid if you have questions about your lift. That video is for how I lift, different bodies need different positions…so its not a clean sweep 'this is how everyone should squat"…its just "how I squat"...

Jay Nera
07-16-14, 10:45 pm
Dynamo Barbell will be hosting its 2nd ABC event !!

Myself and Kade Weber will be going over the basics of the deadlift for those who want to learn and lift some PR's. A true 'Deadlift Party" at Dynamo!
Feel free to come and train the other lifts or just to hang out a meet others from the brotherhood.

Where:
Dynamo Barbell
21 Grenfell, Units 1b, 2 & 3
Ottawa, Ontario
K2g 0G3

When:
Tuesday, July 22, 2014
7:15-9:15pm

Questions:
email me at jay@dynamofitness.ca

on Tuesday, July 22, 2014. Kade Weber and I will be going over the basics of the deadlift for those who want to learn and lift some PRs. #deadliftparty @kadeweber2150 Feel free to come and hit up the other lifts or just to hang out with the Animal brotherhood. #animalpak #dynamobarbell #ottawa #powerlifting 6d

Superman55
09-11-14, 8:57 am
Which do u prefer as far as rows go? Tbar, barbell, dumbell... How would u program them ? Sets, reps, day or days per week.
Also, how do you feel about pulldown's/pull-ups? Which do you prefer and how would you program them into your routine. Do you have any favorites of either, pull ups or Rows? Or any combination of the two together, such as T-bar rows with a close grip and wide grip pull-ups... Which have giving you the best results throughout your career?

Universal Rep
09-30-14, 4:32 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=scV3QbXEnkY

Jay Nera
10-30-14, 8:36 pm
Which do u prefer as far as rows go? Tbar, barbell, dumbell... How would u program them ? Sets, reps, day or days per week.
Also, how do you feel about pulldown's/pull-ups? Which do you prefer and how would you program them into your routine. Do you have any favorites of either, pull ups or Rows? Or any combination of the two together, such as T-bar rows with a close grip and wide grip pull-ups... Which have giving you the best results throughout your career?

I used to simply do hundreds of pull-ups and variations a week but as of this year I switched to horizontal pulling.
At my gym we do not have any machines. I use chest supported dumbbell rows, inverted rows(think upside push ups), and sometimes standing rows looping a band around the squat cage and driving my elbows back.
I shoot for anywhere from 45-100 reps depending on what i am doing the next day.
I always perform them on squat and deadlift days. If i am benching a lot the next day i keep them minimal, if not doing a lot the next day, i get tons of reps in.

Pale Rider
10-31-14, 8:10 pm
Regardless of whether I choose to lift in the 242's or 220's i need to add some mass. 220 is the class that i consider my home, but i may dabble with the 242's a bit….and knee wraps.

ps…750 squat!! Congrats!! Thats HUGE

What you mean Jay your too small for the 242 leave it to the big dogs

HIGA MONSTER
11-01-14, 12:40 am
Ouch.

Shots fired...

RCAF
11-03-14, 1:51 pm
Hi Jay,

I am a powerlifter, next meet is in two weeks, Does bench press variance even matter?

Like all I train is flat regular bench, to continue getting stronger would you suggest I add some Decline/Incline work?

Jay Nera
11-07-14, 12:45 pm
Hi Jay,

I am a powerlifter, next meet is in two weeks, Does bench press variance even matter?

Like all I train is flat regular bench, to continue getting stronger would you suggest I add some Decline/Incline work?

Yes, variances definitely matter if you are noticing a weakness in a particular area. I am not just discussing variances in angles though but also variances in the strength curve and weak points within he lift. Ie using chains, slingshot, when there are weaknesses at the top. Wider grip or longer pauses when weak off the chest….close grip and slingshots for tricep strength…pausing at the sticking point itself to address it etc….dumbells, flys… to me, everything is either the lift itself or assistance work…and assistance work should be aimed at bringing up the most immediate weaknesses.

Jay Nera
11-07-14, 12:47 pm

Easy Kade…you can't flex fat homie.

Dex
11-08-14, 12:29 am
Yo, Jay Nera... first off, thanks a lot for all the info, videos and being so articulate...

Heres some background info on my dilema before i hit you with my questions.
Im 5ft4, 171lbs, my max deadlift is a very comfortable 352lbs, not counting the bar... so here's my story, i train alone so i dont really get to push myself out of fear that the absence of a voice of reason would lead me to push myself too far and get hurt. I was doing a volume session, thatstarted off with 176lbs squats for 5sets of 12reps, followed by deadlifts... 5X5, first set was 176lbs and the rest were all 264lbs... i enjoyed it so much that i added an extra two reps of 308lbs each... it was at the end of my last 308 pound rep that my trouble started. This old dude came up to me looking all wise and sounding all sincere and what not... he told me that the weight i was training with was too heavy and my arms were too close together and i should train with a much lower weight, i should use a belt(i use a belt when the weight is too heaavy for a double overhand grip and i need to use a mixed grip, plus i dont use straps) he also told me i'll hurt myself because my form will break if i try and go aany heavier than 308pounds, he said because i put the weight down so hard he could tell i was in over my head...

Now i took this old man's advice with a pinch of salt but diidnt brush it off entirely because i've only been lifting since september of this year 2014, my fore arms were dead by the end of that workout and im normally gentle with the weights but the bar slipped out of my grip as i lowered it. Anyway... since that day i've found thaat i cant even lift 308lbs anymore and im thinking it's all in my head, fear of injury, the old man's words got to me...

How do you suggest i deal with this fear? Should i sshrug it off or just keep training until im comfortable again, have you ever felt anything similar with regards to your training and if so, how have you dealt with it? Oh and sorry for the long message but i diidnt wanna leave anything out...

G Diesel
11-17-14, 12:12 pm
500 lb bench club on deck for Jay Neezy. Any day now.

Peace, G

Jay Nera
11-28-14, 10:43 pm
500 lb bench club on deck for Jay Neezy. Any day now.

Peace, G

Soon coming I hope.

I tried a 495 last week but didn't have the same explosion off the chest that I had with that 500. Can I get my hands on the video of my 485 PR?

Budi
11-29-14, 2:13 pm
Hey Jay:)

Which Routine/Program are the best to gain both strength and mass?

I`ve been doing a Push Pull Leg BB Split for 8 Months. I had no success.

My goals are general strength and mass because i`m 180cm + 58 KG. I think i must gain mass?

Jay Nera
11-30-14, 5:51 pm
Hey Jay:)

Which Routine/Program are the best to gain both strength and mass?

I`ve been doing a Push Pull Leg BB Split for 8 Months. I had no success.

My goals are general strength and mass because i`m 180cm + 58 KG. I think i must gain mass?

Theres no sole program that will work best. Many different programs will work. I would suggest doing lots of volume with compound movements and eating a lot of food.

Squats, front squats, deadlifts, bench press, over head press, pull ups, and rows…. should take up the majority of your time in the gym...

Budi
11-30-14, 6:32 pm
I`ll do an etablished program because i`m very unsure.

So could you recommend a program?

Jay Nera
12-07-14, 6:44 pm
I`ll do an etablished program because i`m very unsure.

So could you recommend a program?

I apologize but I can't give you a direct answer because I know very little. As I said.. one with a high amount of volume and compound movements supplemented with a lot of food and recovery… anything that meets these criteria will be great. Name a program and if followed fully it will likely meet these criterion as a lot of them throw a decent amount of volume in their assistance portions of training.

Budi
12-08-14, 5:27 am
I apologize but I can't give you a direct answer because I know very little. As I said.. one with a high amount of volume and compound movements supplemented with a lot of food and recovery… anything that meets these criteria will be great. Name a program and if followed fully it will likely meet these criterion as a lot of them throw a decent amount of volume in their assistance portions of training.

I`ll start with Football again. I would do WSB4SB or Wendler 531? Could you recommend the Programs for that or do you know a better routine?

Sorry, but i`m so inexpedrienced that i can`t do my own Program.

Jay Nera
12-08-14, 7:50 pm
I`ll start with Football again. I would do WSB4SB or Wendler 531? Could you recommend the Programs for that or do you know a better routine?

Sorry, but i`m so inexpedrienced that i can`t do my own Program.

Are you interested in online programming?

skibasgym
12-16-14, 12:12 pm
Jay so happy to have met you and had you train at Skibas gym in Carteret nj. You fuckin COCK STRONG,INTELLIGENT AND
BUILT OUT OF STONE.....
GOTTA FIND SOME PICS OF U TO POST...
hENRI sKIBA

Jay Nera
12-21-14, 11:22 pm
This was sent in a private message…i thought id answer here.

High Jay I'm new to the forum and for some reason I cannot post on any thread. Maybe my profile has not been activated yet. I have seen your deadlift instructional video and your last animal videos of your workouts and I have to say that you have one of the most solid deadlift forms. I saw you changed from rounded back to more straight with lower hips. I am 21years old and I pull 500+lbs at 176 with a rounded back (always pull this way because I thought I must pull as fast as I can the bar off the floor) but I have a terrible lockout and I think it's not the best thing for my back. After my first meet (I pulled 500 and missed 540 at knee height) I decided to change my style and try to deadlift with a more straigth back, lower hips and to push the floor with my legs as you and Richard have said. I did a Cat workout yesterday this way with 310lbs for 8 sets of 5 (20min) until my form break badly in the last set. I had a very strong lockout especially in the very first sets. But I think I cannot deadlift over 440lbs with this form. Do you think that I must give it a try and I will be better longterm or maybe I'm built to deadlift with a more rounded back? I'm also about to do more SLDL and romanian with as good form as I can.

You have to build your consistency and technique with the lighter weights….and master lighter weights…take small jumps up…..each week…start stupid light and ditch the clock.….if the first two weeks aren't perfect…you're wasting your time… you make up for the light weights being light by doing a shit ton of sets…. i.e.…for RUM…i haven't squatted in a long time…so I'm started low…mastering the weights on the way up….starting at 400 and keeping in mind my goal is to squat 750.
400x5x8sets
425x5x8 set

….
…500x5x8sets
…..

you get it… master the weights then move up..no rush…if i don't get my goal at RUM…i'll surpass it at the next.

In basketball, you start close to the net and work your way back.
Find me a good three point shooter who sucks at foul shots….open lay ups…you can't…. ..you get it?
Dominate…add weight….dominate…add weight…dominate…add weight..

Jay Nera
12-21-14, 11:27 pm
Jay so happy to have met you and had you train at Skibas gym in Carteret nj. You fuckin COCK STRONG,INTELLIGENT AND
BUILT OUT OF STONE.....
GOTTA FIND SOME PICS OF U TO POST...
hENRI sKIBA

Thanks for your kindness Skiba. Both at your at your gym and in your kind words.

Hopefully, i'll make my way back there soon.

GUNZ
12-22-14, 9:56 am
I know you want that 500 bad man, not far away brother!!

Jay Nera
01-27-15, 9:22 pm
I know you want that 500 bad man, not far away brother!!

Lets just say its long overdue… and so is a friggin 800 deadlift. Head down..push forward.

fu blown
02-01-15, 2:48 am
Hey Jay,

I enjoyed the deadlift and squat "Big on Basics". I picked up some good pointers for both of those lifts. I was wondering when will a bench video be coming out? That is my weakest of the 3.

Jay Nera
02-28-15, 12:31 am
Hey Jay,

I enjoyed the deadlift and squat "Big on Basics". I picked up some good pointers for both of those lifts. I was wondering when will a bench video be coming out? That is my weakest of the 3.

That is also my weakest brother.

I made a video with the boys in jersey. I am not sure when they will be posting it to the animal youtube channel though. I think that Dan and Gunz put some very insightful ones together. I liked their videos. Im also pretty sure that Hoornstra put one together as well.

ganderson
03-10-15, 1:41 pm
Hey Jay, great lifts in the Cage on Sunday. I was meaning to ask you, but couldn't find you after...is there a reason why you warmed up with front squats before switching over to back squats for the heavier sets?

Jay Nera
03-24-15, 11:19 pm
Hey Jay, great lifts in the Cage on Sunday. I was meaning to ask you, but couldn't find you after...is there a reason why you warmed up with front squats before switching over to back squats for the heavier sets?

I have always warmed up with front squats. I find that they groove my squat and force me to 'sit' properly. I warm up my quads better like this. I squat with a quad dominant style so it feel good for me.

MR. C
03-26-15, 5:31 pm
What's going on Jay?

Question for u. How many days a week do u train?

Jay Nera
03-29-15, 11:50 pm
What's going on Jay?

Question for u. How many days a week do u train?

Hey man,
I used to train 6 days a week. If my legs were healthier I would still as I prefer to squat twice a week. 1st session would be Front squats and/or CAT backsquats. 2nd session would be heavier w moderate volume back squats.
But since I've had to cutback on the squats per week…its been 1 for the last 8 months or so. this past two months i haven't been squatting at all.

anyway,

previous split was 6 days a week.

current split is 5
mon- bench press only (extremely high volume)
tues- shoulder and tricep pump
wed- stiff leg deads and tons of rowing
thurs- off
fri- bench press and light pump up shoulders and tris
sat- romanians and lots of rows
sunday -off

Im also taking it easy with this as my next comp isn't until Aug 31st.

MR. C
04-02-15, 5:33 pm
Hey man,
I used to train 6 days a week. If my legs were healthier I would still as I prefer to squat twice a week. 1st session would be Front squats and/or CAT backsquats. 2nd session would be heavier w moderate volume back squats.
But since I've had to cutback on the squats per week…its been 1 for the last 8 months or so. this past two months i haven't been squatting at all.

anyway,

previous split was 6 days a week.

current split is 5
mon- bench press only (extremely high volume)
tues- shoulder and tricep pump
wed- stiff leg deads and tons of rowing
thurs- off
fri- bench press and light pump up shoulders and tris
sat- romanians and lots of rows
sunday -off

Im also taking it easy with this as my next comp isn't until Aug 31st.

Thanks for the breakdown.

AlphaLifterJeffDowns
04-10-15, 6:13 pm
Come to Fort Wainwright alaska! Lol its cold and miserable but I want to meet you! Lol

tnelson1134
04-12-15, 1:08 pm
Hey Jay, I'm 21 years old coming up on my first meet next Saturday and i was wondering what do you do as far as training for the week leading up to the meet. people have been telling me i should take the entire week off and do nothing but it seems kind of counter productive to me.

Jay Nera
04-21-15, 9:45 pm
Come to Fort Wainwright alaska! Lol its cold and miserable but I want to meet you! Lol

haha.

Alaska would probably be a neat place to visit.

Jay Nera
04-21-15, 9:48 pm
Hey Jay, I'm 21 years old coming up on my first meet next Saturday and i was wondering what do you do as far as training for the week leading up to the meet. people have been telling me i should take the entire week off and do nothing but it seems kind of counter productive to me.

Dude, my apologies for not seeing this sooner. I hope your meet went well.

I like to take my last heavy deadlift at LEAST 10 days out and my last heavy squat at LEAST 7 days out. I say least in capitals because…that a minimum, which many consider to be not long enough, but sometimes ill go longer than that.

The main thing is that I want to feel like i NEED to lift some weights or I'm going to go crazy. When i used to train 6-7 days a week, i'd take 3-4 days off, …it would make me feel like a caged animal. I always want to feel like that on competition day.

tnelson1134
05-26-15, 4:18 pm
Dude, my apologies for not seeing this sooner. I hope your meet went well.

I like to take my last heavy deadlift at LEAST 10 days out and my last heavy squat at LEAST 7 days out. I say least in capitals because…that a minimum, which many consider to be not long enough, but sometimes ill go longer than that.

The main thing is that I want to feel like i NEED to lift some weights or I'm going to go crazy. When i used to train 6-7 days a week, i'd take 3-4 days off, …it would make me feel like a caged animal. I always want to feel like that on competition day.

Thanks for the reply anyway! I wanted to total 1500 ended up with 1460.. not bad for my first meet I suppose. Just made me hungry for more! Im doing Boss of Bosses 2 in August so I'll take your approach then and hopefully get at least 1700!

Jay Nera
05-27-15, 1:52 am
Thanks for the reply anyway! I wanted to total 1500 ended up with 1460.. not bad for my first meet I suppose. Just made me hungry for more! Im doing Boss of Bosses 2 in August so I'll take your approach then and hopefully get at least 1700!

Nice. I'll see you there dude. Good luck with your training.

DarkHorseStrong
05-28-15, 7:56 am
Hey Jay! Been following your training a long time now and the CAT progression really intrigues me. I've read up on it and watched videos etc and tried to program something similar to your approach but honestly, I still feel a little lost with it all.

I've seen the way that you do it and the way Sam does it but still not quite got to grips with it.

Do you do online coaching? I'm not going to be competing for a while so I figure why not use this time to learn a new way of training... Plus heavy stuff sucks all the time!

Cheers! Good luck in your prep for BoB2!

Jay Nera
05-31-15, 11:06 pm

I usually do around 25 minutes of work.
I prefer to use loads in the 60-65 percent range.
I like rep ranges between 3-5 reps. Usually 5's…3's only when I'm feeling really good( usually my first rep or two aren't the best reps)
I do 30 seconds of rest per rep performed…i.e. 5 reps equals 150 second rest…..(this is loosely followed though..sometimes ill go faster or slower depending on how I'm feeling and how the bar is moving)
No less that 5 sets….no more than 10…. 5 ofter feels like too little and 10 sometimes feels like to much….so 7-8 seems to be my sweet spot.

each rep is done one at a time to practice perfect technique (Sam and Dr squat are different on this).

I use it as a way to keep my work capacity up, to squat without using heavy weights to avoid injury, to practice squatting….to maintain strength….drilling technique. practice practice practice

johnt
06-19-15, 7:29 pm
Jay,

Just saw your new deadlifting video on youtube.
I noticed that after each rep, you release your fingers off the bar and then re-grip when you pull. Is this just a habit? Or is there a science behind it?
I'm thinking about trying it during my next session.

Thanks!

skibasgym
06-22-15, 9:18 pm
I also noticed the release of your fingers. Am curious as to why?

Jay Nera
06-29-15, 11:48 pm
Jay,

Just saw your new deadlifting video on youtube.
I noticed that after each rep, you release your fingers off the bar and then re-grip when you pull. Is this just a habit? Or is there a science behind it?
I'm thinking about trying it during my next session.

Thanks!

Theres no science to this. I am using straps with an over over grip so after each rep, especially when the bar smacks the ground, my grip loosens a bit. I use straps because i do so many reps and id hate to miss a set due to grip or a tear. Another major issue for me is that i have many friends who have torn their biceps deadlifting AND my left arm doesn't straighten all the way… so i try to avoid using a mixed grip as often as possible.

Jay Nera
06-29-15, 11:49 pm
I also noticed the release of your fingers. Am curious as to why?

Sissy hands. lol.

Jay Nera
07-24-15, 2:28 am
I found this site very interesting.

For every barbell lift I got world class. And then exceptional and elite for the bodyweight movements. Although they required a 570 lb dip for me to be world class which i thought was a little insane.

Just an interesting thing to check out for those curous how they stack up according to this site.

http://symmetricstrength.com

DGymn
01-31-16, 10:33 am
Hi Jay,

You've allready helped me out on one of my threads, probebly a year ago but I'm still having the same insues.
I'm an athlete (and i never do any powerlifting) but I'm fasinated by the programming you and other powerlifters use.
Since 2-3years I've made very little progress and I cant really seem te figure out how to progress.
It's hard to log my gymnastics training in to reps/sets, which makes it hard to keep track of training..

I was wondering, how you created a training plan that works for you.
Training frequency, workload/session, compounds/accesories, RPE,...

Thanks in advance!

Universal Rep
11-11-16, 9:54 am
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhmdSCoTenI

Jay Nera
01-24-17, 3:24 am
Hey bros,

I've been away from the forum for too long now. Its time to get back to this.

Hit me up with some Q's and lets grow.

bishlawy
01-26-17, 7:48 am
Hey bros,

I've been away from the forum for too long now. Its time to get back to this.

Hit me up with some Q's and lets grow.

Hey Jay! Welcome back brother.

i have a few Questions!!

1. Your opinion on OHP for Increasing Bench Press?
2. How far you your Chin from the bar when Conventional Deadlift?
3.Bar path for Bench Press? straight or Arc?

Jay Nera
01-29-17, 8:27 pm
Hey Jay! Welcome back brother.

i have a few Questions!!

1. Your opinion on OHP for Increasing Bench Press?
2. How far you your Chin from the bar when Conventional Deadlift?
3.Bar path for Bench Press? straight or Arc?

Hey dude.

1. If it is significantly weaker then it will work. I don't know too many 500 lb pressers who can't ohp at least 300. So lets say as long as you can ohp more than 60% you don't need to work on it. I do a high volume of bench pressing and i like to do handstand work every now and then, so i prefer not to tax my front delts too much. therefore, no ohp for me. BUt if it ever gets significantly weaker, i will, def bring it back up.

2. Im not sure if that is a typo or not?

3. I strive for straight up and back towards the face but its never a straight line on the way up once it gets heavy.

Jay Nera
01-29-17, 8:28 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhmdSCoTenI

I can't stress how important these are. Taking them out of my training for the last few years was a huge mistake i wish i could take back.

I felt my most athletic during my bobsleigh days and those days had a lot of bulgarians and jumping.

My hips felt awesome back then.

Rick87
01-30-17, 4:23 pm
I watched your video again on how you bench , especially with how you rotate your shoulders...you talked about getting more of a stretch so i tried it out instead of "normal" benching.

Holy shit dude, the stretch is inbelievable...so no questions do far...just a thank you for sharing some wisdom

bishlawy
02-03-17, 3:14 am
[QUOTE=Jay Nera;1445611]Hey dude.

Thanks Jay, my question was actually: How far you Space your chins from the bar in Conventional Dead Lift? Middle of the foot or more far! from your instructional videos i saw, i think you stand a bit far!
Also, i see in your Benching videos that you lift off the bar for yourself, in that case where do you place your forehead in relation to the bar? for myself i try to put my eyes directly under the bar before the liftoff but this strains my shoulders, i lose the tension!

Thanks again!!

Jay Nera
02-26-17, 11:00 pm
I watched your video again on how you bench , especially with how you rotate your shoulders...you talked about getting more of a stretch so i tried it out instead of "normal" benching.

Holy shit dude, the stretch is inbelievable...so no questions do far...just a thank you for sharing some wisdom

AWESOME dude.

Glad it helped.

Jay Nera
02-26-17, 11:10 pm
[QUOTE=Jay Nera;1445611]Hey dude.

Thanks Jay, my question was actually: How far you Space your chins from the bar in Conventional Dead Lift? Middle of the foot or more far! from your instructional videos i saw, i think you stand a bit far!
Also, i see in your Benching videos that you lift off the bar for yourself, in that case where do you place your forehead in relation to the bar? for myself i try to put my eyes directly under the bar before the liftoff but this strains my shoulders, i lose the tension!

Thanks again!!

For the DL, the distance of the bar from your shin will depend a lot on the rest of the angles you are striving for in your set up. In general, between your shin and the ball of your foot. The simplest way to put it is to say above the shoe laces.

I lift off for myself because i often train alone and i feel like a bad hand off will injury me more than a self hand off. i just try to think of where i will finish my press and set up a couple inches up from that so that the horizontal movement is minimal which will obviously minimize any discomfort that often comes with self lift offs.

Jay Nera
09-28-17, 5:30 pm

Its hard to summarize in a aparagraph or two. Perhaps a video maybe.

There are many different ways to think of it and apply it.

Theres as a technique builder, a work capacity builder, can use it as an escalated density protocol, can focus purely on power outputs, can use it as maintenance while building up other lifts, can use is in part of a peaking protocol which Sam Byrd has done numerous times.

In general, the most important aspect is that one is striving for perfect technique and constantly striving to accelerate accelerate accelerate.

Jay
10-19-18, 11:49 am
Watching your video on Unconventional Quad Training as we speak. Any plans to compete soon?