PDA

View Full Version : Sisyphus Is Smiling

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jay Nera
10-08-13, 11:18 pm
TRAINING-- Powerlifting gives me purpose. To become stronger than I was yesterday. Gravity doesn't change. It will remain constant today and tomorrow. I either get stronger or I improve my technique... But gravity never changes. This journey is about overcoming obstacles. I've had my fair share of injuries and setbacks. I've pushed that boulder up the mountain to only have it roll back down again as soon as I hit an injury. But my character never wavers...it builds. You've all been there before. This is my journey and even when I make it to the top of my mountain that mountain will only gain more height and I must push this heavy boulder further...climb higher. The key to realize is that I enjoy pushing that boulder up this wretched unforgiving mountain...that weight on my shoulders..I don't wish that this rock were to get lighter..i wish to endure more.....it gives my training purpose.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy."

Normally, I have a Bulgarian mentality when it comes to training. I like to lift heavy and lift often. High frequency and high intensity. In the last year I have learned to be more patient and to bring down the intensity. This is due to injuries.

My split for the last 4 years:

Mon-Upper body press
Tues-Front Squat/Back squat
Wed-Upper body press
Thurs- Deadlift
Fri-Upper body press
Sat- Squat
Sun- Rest

Upper body days consist of any of the following: bench press, close grip bench press, feet up flared elbows bench press, floor press, standing overhead

I do hundreds of pull ups a week. Anywhere from 400-600.

I like to follow up all lower body days with box jumps. ( I have only started doing this again because my injuries are all healed up).

My next competition is Raw Unity Meet 7 ( RUM 7) in February 2014 and I will be starting my peaking cycle in November.

I will start posting my training here.

Universal Rep
10-09-13, 10:35 am
Welcome to the FORVM brotha. In for the ride. Good luck on the WR goal...

BaconGrease
10-09-13, 11:37 am
Excited to follow your training. I read your log in the past and always enjoyed your posts. Good luck with your training!

DANO
10-09-13, 11:56 am
Subbed for sure.... huge fan of pullups myself

Shukin
10-09-13, 12:11 pm
I'm along for the ride, hoping to pick up applicable knowledge

P Diesel
10-09-13, 1:26 pm
Jay i dnt know ya. but ur reputation speaks for itself. and my brothers i have repsect for speak highly of u, so thats enough for me. i look forward to meeting u brotha and welcome home

P

Jay Nera
10-09-13, 10:14 pm
Welcome to the FORVM brotha. In for the ride. Good luck on the WR goal...
Thank you. It's good be here.

Excited to follow your training. I read your log in the past and always enjoyed your posts. Good luck with your training!
Thank you. I'll still be posting on my upstrong blog but it will be more thoughts and rants and less training. My daily training will primarily be posted on here.

Subbed for sure.... huge fan of pullups myself
No business like monkey business.

I'm along for the ride, hoping to pick up applicable knowledge
Me too man.

Jay i dnt know ya. but ur reputation speaks for itself. and my brothers i have repsect for speak highly of u, so thats enough for me. i look forward to meeting u brotha and welcome home

P
Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to it too man.

Jay Nera
10-09-13, 10:36 pm
Still in my off-season training. Keeping things very light in general... and today is a light day as I am pressed for time and nursing a minor nuisance.

Standing Strict Press: 225x5x5
Close Grip Bench Press: 315x5x11 sets in 25 minutes. (CAT style)
Feet up flared bench to upper chest: 315x8x3 sets

I do not normally do 3 different barbell presses but I have injured my wrist flexor tendons pretty badly and cannot make a fist right now. (From spotting girls squatting and catching the bar instead of spotting them properly at the chest...my forearm is strained..and I'm pissed.)
Anyway, normally I would do a lot of shoulder work, focusing on the rear delts, and a lot of tricep work but with my forearm pain I am forced to avoid the assistance work for a week or so.

A quick day. 60 mins in and out.

Shukin
10-10-13, 10:56 am
Where can one read about "Bulgarian" training? Do you recommend any particular books?

Firefist
10-10-13, 12:38 pm
Feet up flared bench to upper chest: 315x8x3 sets

Really interested in this one. Can you elaborate on the benefits?

Masterbench
10-10-13, 4:48 pm
Congrats on joining Universal/Animal!
What type of progression do you use?

Jay Nera
10-11-13, 1:18 am
Where can one read about "Bulgarian" training? Do you recommend any particular books?

The Weightlifting Encyclopedia is a great start. Googling "Ivan Abajiev" or the Bulgarian method will land you many interesting videos and outlines as well. I had the pleasure of listening to Aleksandar Varbanov for two days discussing weightlifting and the bulgarian method. He has a weightlifting club in the Toronto area at the Academy of Lions if you're ever there. I believe it's called the School of Champions. Abajiev is actually doing a seminar 2 hours away from where I live in a few weeks and hopefully I can make the trip to see him. I think Juggernaut did an article on it recently as well because some of my crossfitters have been asking me about it ...but I haven't had a chance to read their take on it.

Jay Nera
10-11-13, 1:33 am
Really interested in this one. Can you elaborate on the benefits?

Haha. First off, my wrist flexors in my left had are really messed up right now and it hurts to hold anything over 315 in the bench or the squat and I can't even hang from the pull up bar nor can I deadlift anything right now. It sucks. That being said, I normally like to do heavy dumbell presses as assistance instead of 3 different barbell presses in a day.

The feet up flared elbows is something I ONLY do in the off-season and I treat is as an accessory. So I will always perform my regular bench workout first and then drop the weights and do some flat back flared lifting. I use it to hit the chest differently. Feet up flattens my lower back eliminating the arch and also increasing ROM of the press. It also obviously takes away leg drive. This forces me to use my chest muscles more. Flaring the elbows really forces the chest to work differently. In the off-season, I am not lifting heavy, the goal is to stay healthy and build more muscles. So the intensity is relatively low and the volume is high. In varying the bench press my two favourites are narrow grip(not close grip) bench press and feet up flared elbows pressing...in the OFF-SEASON.. When I am peaking I like to focus solely on the 3 lifts with little assistance.

Jay Nera
10-11-13, 1:43 am
My wrist flexors are bugging me a lot. I would normally do CAT squats today but am nervous to irritate this forearm any further.

So I am using the safety squat bar which I rarely ever use. When I do use it I use it very differently. I don't like to use the hands. I once posted a quick article on my Upstrong blog titled "Hellrazors" or "Hellraisers" something like that explaining why I like it.
But basically, if the handles and the camber in the bar are pointing on the same angle, the heavier the weight on the bar, the more it will push your head forward and chest down...I like doing this sometimes because it's like Squat-gone-bad every rep. The workouts suck but they really jack up your posterior chain.

No Hands Safety Squats: 145x5, 235x3, 325x2, 415x2, 505x4x4sets, 455x6x2sets, 415x10
Box Jumps: Jumping on a '32 5x5. I am just starting to box jump again because my knees are feeling healthier and I like jumping because it keeps me feeling athletic. So I jump on a low box and the goal is to land on the middle of the box with straight legs. This lets me know that I displaced my body explosively and is likely similar to jumping on a '50 or so.
Hollow rocks: 40 x 3

Firefist
10-11-13, 8:47 am
Haha. First off, my wrist flexors in my left had are really messed up right now and it hurts to hold anything over 315 in the bench or the squat and I can't even hang from the pull up bar nor can I deadlift anything right now. It sucks. That being said, I normally like to do heavy dumbell presses as assistance instead of 3 different barbell presses in a day.

The feet up flared elbows is something I ONLY do in the off-season and I treat is as an accessory. So I will always perform my regular bench workout first and then drop the weights and do some flat back flared lifting. I use it to hit the chest differently. Feet up flattens my lower back eliminating the arch and also increasing ROM of the press. It also obviously takes away leg drive. This forces me to use my chest muscles more. Flaring the elbows really forces the chest to work differently. In the off-season, I am not lifting heavy, the goal is to stay healthy and build more muscles. So the intensity is relatively low and the volume is high. In varying the bench press my two favourites are narrow grip(not close grip) bench press and feet up flared elbows pressing...in the OFF-SEASON.. When I am peaking I like to focus solely on the 3 lifts with little assistance.

Very cool. Thanks for the insight brother. Will definitely be picking your brain more in the future.

naturalguy
10-11-13, 9:03 am
In

Dman
10-12-13, 3:24 am
Welcome aboard the Forum Jay lookin forward to seing how you train & learning from you!!

Jay Nera
10-13-13, 11:37 pm
10/11/2013
Light work on bp because of my wrist. Contemplated not training at all to save wrist but I felt like getting some blood flow in. Gangster wrapped my left hand like crazy each set so that there was zero wrist movement. All bench presses whenever I do my 25 minutes 'games' are controlled decent, slight pause, explode up.

Narrow grip bench press: 315x12 sets in 25 mins
Feet up flared bench: 315x8x3 sets(paused)
bw dips: 3 sets of 30-35 reps
tricep work using bands

Frustrated with my wrist.

10/12/2013
Up at 7am to train early so I can hit a wedding.
For the past month I have tried sqapping my thursday dead day with my sat back squat day. So today would be a DL day but since my grip is painful and non existent... front squats.
Front Squat: 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 405x2, 455x2, 495x2x4sets, 405x8x3 sets
Box jumps: 5x5
Hollow rocks: 2 sets of 40

Legs felt pretty jacked up from the volume and the short rests I gave myself because I was in a rush for the wedding.
I woke up at 231...went to bed at 240. Italian wedding served a lot of food. :)

Theonidus
10-14-13, 12:54 am
Huge fan of your article in Power magazine and looking forward to seeing Animal dominate the future RUM meets.

Jay Nera
10-14-13, 10:28 pm
Huge fan of your article in Power magazine and looking forward to seeing Animal dominate the future RUM meets.

Thanks man. I really hope that raw powerlifting...well powerlifting in general grows. I'm really pumped that Animal is getting involved in powerlifting and privileged to be a part of it.

Jay Nera
10-14-13, 11:03 pm
It's the end of canadian thanksgiving weekend. I've had three days of extreme eating. A wedding and then two thanksgiving dinners. I am definitely thankful for being around so many wonderful people who also want me to eat and gain weight so that I can get stronger.
Feeling heavy.

I am still off-season training and still dealing with this annoying wrist flexor issue. I think it's getting a little bit better but I don't really care to test it only to reinsure it again. So i think for the remainder of this week it will be front squats, no hands safety squats, zero deadlifting, zero back squatting, and not benching anything heavy.

Todays training had a lot of volume but very low intensity.
Bench Press: 315x5pausedx12 sets in 26 mins
Narrow grip: 315x12x3 sets
Feet up flared bench: 275x12x3 sets
Dips: 2 sets of 25(paused top and bottom)
tricep work using bands: 6 sets per arm approx 40 seconds worth of reps

As you can tell my workouts are very boring and light. I'm really just chasing a pump once I finished my bench press...just straight up frustrated with my wrist and waiting to lift some heavy stuff.

Jay Nera
10-20-13, 1:57 am
Tuesday

Still not back squatting because of my wrist flexor issue. Trying not to get frustrated. Such a tiny little muscle is inhibiting my training. In a respect, it's forcing me to do more front squats. I just can't go too heavy because then I might use my forearm muscles to hold the bar in place which will aggravate it further.

Front Squat: 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 405 x 8 x 5 sets
Box Jumps: 5x5
GHD Situps: 3 x20

This actually felt really good to do and it sparked up a good appetite. My quads are feeling pretty jacked up.

Wednesday

Wrapped my left wrist up really high and very tight. I felt like at least doing a bit of weight in the bench.

Bench Press: 365x5 paused x 5 sets
Narrow grip bench press: 315x5 paused x 10 sets in 25 mins. CAT style.

My wrist was starting to get sore so I stopped training...crappy day.

Thursday

To avoid using my wrist I used the safety squat bar. I like to use it without my hands to change the way it feels. I'll post a video soon to explain this and why i like to use it as an exercise every now and then in the off season.

No hands safety squat: 145x5, 235x5, 325x3, 415x2, 465x1, 505x3x2 sets, 405x8x3 sets
Walking lunges(bodyweight): x100 Used more as a mobility and health exercise.
Hollow rocks: 3x 40 reps

Jay Nera
10-20-13, 5:07 pm
FRIDAY

I normally train alone and actually enjoy the time to myself. I own my gym and train when its closed in the middle of the day. Sometimes my girlfriend tags along but I usually toss her onto the crossfit side and she knows to let me have my time. I do have a training partner, Kade Weber, but time restricts us from training together because he has courses and work etc... He makes an effort during the competition cycle to be around...but for now we are not lifting heavy so it's no big deal.
Anyway, today Kade came to train bench so I had a lift off which is nice because we have a subpar bench press with a low rack. So for me anything above 4plates is hard on the shoulders over time.
Even though I am dealing with wrist issues I wanted to see how 405 felt in my hands. I have this thing where I always need to know I can handle at least 92-95% of my 1rm in the off-season. My 1RM in the bp is 475 so I worked up to 445 for a single wince I had Kade there to lift off and spot.

Bench: 135x10, 185x7, 225x5, 275x3, 315x2, 365x1, 405x1(paused, smooth but not fast), 425x1(paused,slow), 445x1(paused, not pretty, but I am happy with this bc I am being extra cautious with my wrist which is forcing me to slow down and I haven't gone heavy in a long time). 405x3(paused)x3 sets
Closegrip Bench: 345x4x10 sets in 25 mins (CAT style). I just used 345 instead of the usual 315 because Kade was using 345 for his workout and when I am trying to do a set every couple mins, changing the weights can get tiresome.

SATURDAY

Still no back squatting or deadlifting.
Front squat: 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 405x1, 455x1, 495(belt) x 1, 405x8(belt)x4 sets
Box Jumps: 5x5
GHD situps: 3x 15

I felt like lifting heavy today so I was thinking of attempting a new PR in the front squat since I haven't maxed out in literally over two yrs when I hit 545. I think around now I should be able to do anywhere from 570-590. So i worked up to 5 plates and smoked it fairly easily. I decided to not go any heavier for a few reasons. 1) My legs are feeling healthy for the first time in a couple years, whats the point 2) if I end up leaning forward in a lift and try to save the lift by pushing the bar with my hands my wrist flexors will only get worse 3) its the off-season ...I can always max out when it's worth it!!!
Anyway, I like the volume in the front squat. It makes my quads feel healthy and anyone who has followed me for the last few years knows that this is new.

SUNDAY

EAT EAT EAT

In trying to gain a few quality pounds of muscle I have gained a higher respect for bodybuilders. Eating frequently, with healthy foods, preparing meals, and keeping it all consistent is very time consuming and requires discipline. Sunday is a prep day.

ronnie
10-20-13, 6:57 pm
Jay Nera! Very cool to see you on the forum and I will be following religiously to see what your training looks like, hopefully I can learn a thing or 2.

The first time I competed in powerlifting was at CPF nationals in 2011. I didn't get to say hi but I remember seeing you, along with Willy and Kade and getting the impression of you 3 as some kind of triangle of awesomeness on the platform.

Hope too see you on the platform again sometime.

shortstack
10-21-13, 10:32 am
Welcome to the family Jay. Your vids are impressive to say the least.

Jeremy

J Wong
10-21-13, 7:02 pm
Glad to see you here man...you are ridiculously strong and I am glad I get to see how you train!

Jay Nera
10-21-13, 10:53 pm
Jay Nera! Very cool to see you on the forum and I will be following religiously to see what your training looks like, hopefully I can learn a thing or 2.

The first time I competed in powerlifting was at CPF nationals in 2011. I didn't get to say hi but I remember seeing you, along with Willy and Kade and getting the impression of you 3 as some kind of triangle of awesomeness on the platform.

Hope too see you on the platform again sometime.

Ronnie,
Where you from man? We are expanding our barbell club. Dynamo Barbell will have a bigger home in a month. If you're ever in Ottawa make sure you come through. All powerlifters are welcome.

Yeah, CPF nationals in 2011 was the last time the 3 of us competed together. I was injured and Willie didn't really train for it..but that meet was the birth of Kade Weber. He pulled 750 at that meet and thats when he really started to come out of his shell. I think that that meet is when he realized how good he was going to be...and he's still not even close to his potential yet.
Next time...say hi.

Jay Nera
10-21-13, 10:54 pm
Welcome to the family Jay. Your vids are impressive to say the least.

Jeremy

Thanks man. I'll try to get some good ones up soon during this next training cycle.

Jay Nera
10-21-13, 10:55 pm
Glad to see you here man...you are ridiculously strong and I am glad I get to see how you train!

Is this Jordan? You have a mean squat on you man. And your facebook posts crack me up. How are your lifts coming along? You going to be at RUM?

Jay Nera
10-21-13, 10:58 pm
MONDAY

Still nursing the forearm. Having a hard time avoiding lifting. Did some moderate weights today. Very quick one.

Bench press: 365x5(paused)x 6 sets
Closegrip bench press: 315x5(paused) x 10 in 25 mins(CAT style)

That's a day. In and out in an hour.

I am getting excited because I am not too far away from commencing my training cycle for RUM....

J Wong
10-21-13, 11:15 pm
Is this Jordan? You have a mean squat on you man. And your facebook posts crack me up. How are your lifts coming along? You going to be at RUM?

Yeah, it's me. Thanks...to both! I'm doing alright right now. I'm wrapping up training for my meet and feeling pretty beat up right now so hoping that my pre meet deload helps me out a little bit. I'm contemplating RUM right now. I definitely want to do it but I have to see where I am with my nagging tweaks and all of that dumb stuff before making my decision. If I do go, would I have the honor of being crushed by Kade Weber at 242?

SomeDayI'llBeXL
10-22-13, 1:00 pm
This is definately a thread Im going to follow. Im very interested in the high volume approah to training that yourself and Dan Green have. The best of luck in your recovery.

ronnie
10-22-13, 4:34 pm
Ronnie,
Where you from man? We are expanding our barbell club. Dynamo Barbell will have a bigger home in a month. If you're ever in Ottawa make sure you come through. All powerlifters are welcome.

Yeah, CPF nationals in 2011 was the last time the 3 of us competed together. I was injured and Willie didn't really train for it..but that meet was the birth of Kade Weber. He pulled 750 at that meet and thats when he really started to come out of his shell. I think that that meet is when he realized how good he was going to be...and he's still not even close to his potential yet.
Next time...say hi.

Im from Cambridge, just south of kitchener/waterloo. I have some friends in Ottawa, next time I am in town I'll stop by.

I remember seeing that 750 lift. Pretty sure his squat, deadlift and total were JR world records in that meet, but you would know better then I.

You injured, Willie didn't really train and Kade just coming out of his shell... And STILL, all of you performed very, VERY well. My hat is off to you guys, some of Canada's best lifters.

Jay Nera
10-23-13, 1:09 am
Yeah, it's me. Thanks...to both! I'm doing alright right now. I'm wrapping up training for my meet and feeling pretty beat up right now so hoping that my pre meet deload helps me out a little bit. I'm contemplating RUM right now. I definitely want to do it but I have to see where I am with my nagging tweaks and all of that dumb stuff before making my decision. If I do go, would I have the honor of being crushed by Kade Weber at 242?

If you go you will definitely have the honor of sharing the platform with Kade. He is pretty pumped for RUM. I wouldn't worry about getting crushed though. You put up good numbers. What kind of numbers are you hoping for in this next meet?

Jay Nera
10-23-13, 1:10 am
This is definately a thread Im going to follow. Im very interested in the high volume approah to training that yourself and Dan Green have. The best of luck in your recovery.

Thanks. I always find it funny when people say high volume because I never feel like I've trained enough...likely why i suffer from injuries.

Jay Nera
10-23-13, 1:14 am
Im from Cambridge, just south of kitchener/waterloo. I have some friends in Ottawa, next time I am in town I'll stop by.

I remember seeing that 750 lift. Pretty sure his squat, deadlift and total were JR world records in that meet, but you would know better then I.

You injured, Willie didn't really train and Kade just coming out of his shell... And STILL, all of you performed very, VERY well. My hat is off to you guys, some of Canada's best lifters.

That 750 deadlift was awesome!! And yes, you are correct...world junior records at that meet.

We train hard so thank you for the kind words.

Jay Nera
10-23-13, 1:20 am
TUESDAY

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I run morning classes at my gym. 6am and 7am. I am not a morning person, I am a night owl, so waking up at 5:15am is not my thing. Classes end at 8 and people clear out by 830 and this is usually when I think about training unless I have no plans and can go home to nap for a few hours and then come back to train.
Feeling groggy. Lucky for me I am still not training heavy just yet, so i can push through this workout.

No hands Safety bar squats(i will be posting a video soon so that people can see and listen to me discuss it in a little bit of detail) : 145x5, 235x3, 325x2, 415x1, 465x1, 505x3x5 sets, 415x8x2 sets
GHD situps: 2 sets of 25

**Again, this is not an exercise I tend to do often. It just seems so right now because of my wrist issues having me not able to back squat or deadlift ....heal up already.

J Wong
10-23-13, 9:09 am
If you go you will definitely have the honor of sharing the platform with Kade. He is pretty pumped for RUM. I wouldn't worry about getting crushed though. You put up good numbers. What kind of numbers are you hoping for in this next meet?

Ideally, I would like 1850-1860. I am pretty sure I am going to do RUM...it's a great opportunity to compete against the best. He is doing 242 no wraps right? His performance at RUM last year was amazing. 2000+ raw total and every lift was done completely clean. That guy deserves more credit than he gets in my opinion.

Jay Nera
10-24-13, 11:15 pm
Ideally, I would like 1850-1860. I am pretty sure I am going to do RUM...it's a great opportunity to compete against the best. He is doing 242 no wraps right? His performance at RUM last year was amazing. 2000+ raw total and every lift was done completely clean. That guy deserves more credit than he gets in my opinion.

That shouldn't be a problem for you. The last time I looked at your lifts was a while ago...and they all looked like you had more in the tank. Yeah, I am hoping Kade gets deep into the 2100's at RUM. People will only get to know him as a force more and more....you both are young...plenty of years left for you guys.

Jay Nera
10-24-13, 11:20 pm
WEDNESDAY

Paused Bench Press
135x10
185x8
225x5
275x5
315x2
365x1
405x3x3sets
325x5x10 sets (25 minute CAT style)

Quick in and out. My forearm is feeling a little bit better. It didnt hurt as much to bench so I felt good to handle a bit of weight. I was training alone and with the low bench that we have unracking 405 didn't feel so great.... so i kept the reps away from failure and the volume low with it.
Hoping that the pain subsides enough for me to start back squatting soon.

Jay Nera
10-24-13, 11:25 pm
THURSDAY

I had to train early this morning because I had an appointment to get some tattoo work done. Up at 5am to eat and working 6am-8am. Trained quickly 830-10.

I havent been writing in that I do the Agile 8 in my warm ups

AGILE 8

Front Squat
135x5
225x4
315x2
405x1
450x5x5 ( i wore a belt for this today because my back was stiff from Tuesdays UnSSB squats)

Box Jumps
5x5 onto a low box focusing on vertical displacement rather than just landing on a box

GHD sit ups
20x3

I solidified how i am going to train for RUM. Excited... I will start building my volume next week. Excited.

AWARD
10-26-13, 3:14 pm
Props to you for training smart man. I'm still nursing a back injury and not being able to squat or pull is making me go insane, but trying to play it smart and let it heal

Pete Rubish
10-29-13, 3:58 am
I just started doing SSB squats and I think they're 10x harder than regular squats. I'm thinking they'll have a huge carryover to my regular squat and deadlifts, but only time will tell

Jay Nera
10-29-13, 7:48 pm
I just started doing SSB squats and I think they're 10x harder than regular squats. I'm thinking they'll have a huge carryover to my regular squat and deadlifts, but only time will tell

Pete, you have the kind of squat that would benefit most from doing them without your hands. Depending on what kind of safety bar you have. If the angle of the kink or camber in the bar is in line with the handles it'll be a good bar to go handless with. They are definitely way harder because every squat is a squat gone bad. No offense, but you already lift with what I would consider to be a squat gone bad technique....your back is just sooooo strong. It would force you to stay tighter. I'll post a video soon talking about it and I hope you benefit from it. Sick pulling by the way...you are one of the guys who piss me off that I can't deadlift 800 yet.

ronnie
10-29-13, 8:15 pm
very excited to see your planned routine and thought that goes into it!

Jay Nera
10-29-13, 10:54 pm
FRIDAY

I had Kade to do give me some lift offs so I thought I'd take advantage of having a training partner and try a few singles at 90% in the bench press. My forearm is feeling a little bit better.
Bench Press(paused):
135x10
185x7
225x5
275x3
315x3
365x1
405x1
430x1x3 sets
I could feel myself being tentative on the decent because of my forearm which only started to hurt a little bit on the third set, so I stopped after 3 insteads instead of doing the planned 5.
CAT style Bench Press: 325x5x10 sets in 25 minutes

SATURDAY

My last below 80% training day...my last 'off-season' training session. I don't really like the term off-season because it makes it sound as if the training is not intense. Anyway. My forearm is feeling better and I miss deadlifting. Next week I am going to start building volume in the 3 lifts working at around 80% so today I thought I would move some moderate weights and focus on technique.

Deadlift:
155x3
245x2
335x1
425x1
515x5x9 sets in under 25 minutes. CAT style. I stopped around 23 minutes because my back pump was insane and the sets were getting much slower.

SUNDAY

Rest Day

Jay Nera
10-29-13, 11:05 pm
This week is when I start my competition prep. I am going to do a few weeks building volume in the 80% range on the main lifts.
Two squat days: one low-volume back squat/front squat day and one escalating volume backsquat day
One Deadlift day: Building volume in the 80's
Two Bench days: One low volume and one escalating volume
One shoulder/mobility day/active recovery
One rest day

MONDAY

Bench Press:
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x3
365x1
400x2(paused) x 8 sets
315+chains(approx 30-40lbs) x5paused x8 sets with 2-3 minute rests

I will be adding rear delt, tricep, and dumbell pressing to this day but I cannot because my forearm is a little bit aggravated from deadlifting on Saturday. Normally, I wouldnt be a baby...but I am trying not to go into this cycle a tinman.

TUESDAY

For the first couple of weeks this will be a front squat day but since I have not been back squatting for such a long time I thought I would see how my wrist handles it and how 600 lbs feels on my back.

Front Squat:
135x5
225x3
315x2
Back Squat:
405x2
455x1
495x1
545x1
595x2x6sets

A nice chill training session.

J Wong
10-29-13, 11:10 pm
Nice work. I am looking forward to seeing how you structure your training heading into RUM. I like your set up..but are you worried at all about your forearm pain resurfacing/getting worse with benching 2x a week?

I'm writing my RUM cycle out right now and I'm going to be implementing SSB (well, the "spyder bar" from EFS) and front squats in after I do squats since I have never done them before. I figure getting good at something I suck at isn't a bad idea. I see you and all these other guys doing front squats and figured I should get on the wagon!

Jay Nera
10-29-13, 11:17 pm
Nice work. I am looking forward to seeing how you structure your training heading into RUM. I like your set up..but are you worried at all about your forearm pain resurfacing/getting worse with benching 2x a week?

I'm writing my RUM cycle out right now and I'm going to be implementing SSB (well, the "spyder bar" from EFS) and front squats in after I do squats since I have never done them before. I figure getting good at something I suck at isn't a bad idea. I see you and all these other guys doing front squats and figured I should get on the wagon!

Yes.
I am very worried about my forearm and I am very worried about my knee. I have no idea how my knee will do for this training cycle when the weights get heavy. The forearm is a huge nuisance because its a non-training related injury that is destroying my training right now and the knee is something that I am going to have to guard.

It's a very good idea to throw those lifts into your training program imo. I'll be doing the same but keeping the intensity in those lifts low and the volume moderate. Just a little bit of extra non-stress volume to my training sessions.

ronnie
10-30-13, 7:26 pm
get after it Jay. Train smart and rehab those injuries. I've hurt myself many times and am finally learning just how effective it can be to ice a sore body part after stretching.

Pete Rubish
10-30-13, 9:55 pm
Pete, you have the kind of squat that would benefit most from doing them without your hands. Depending on what kind of safety bar you have. If the angle of the kink or camber in the bar is in line with the handles it'll be a good bar to go handless with. They are definitely way harder because every squat is a squat gone bad. No offense, but you already lift with what I would consider to be a squat gone bad technique....your back is just sooooo strong. It would force you to stay tighter. I'll post a video soon talking about it and I hope you benefit from it. Sick pulling by the way...you are one of the guys who piss me off that I can't deadlift 800 yet.
I just switched to low-bar and my form looks completely different, but I'm sure they will still help a ton with my weaknesses. I know they're helping my deadlift.

/watch?v=MJUXUf5JhPU

brentwillisbgw
10-31-13, 8:12 pm
I'm also making the transition from "off season" to meet prep for RUM. It will be awesome to follow your guys' training and then getting to step on the platform together in a few months to see how it all pays off.

Jay Nera
10-31-13, 10:19 pm
I just switched to low-bar and my form looks completely different, but I'm sure they will still help a ton with my weaknesses. I know they're helping my deadlift.

/watch?v=MJUXUf5JhPU

Nice man! That looks way better than your squats not too long ago. Good on you. You'll be hitting 700 soon for sure. If I were to pick one exercise for you to get your squat up it wouldn't be the safety squats it would be front squats. Not that you're asking. What are you hoping to total at your next meet? Your videos say you're 6 weeks out?

Jay Nera
11-01-13, 11:42 pm
Last Tuesday I squatted around 600 for rep work to see how it felt. Somehow my right knee, the knee that has been causing me issues is lit up and inflamed. It hurts. I'm pretty pissed. I saw a physio and my hips are uneven. My SI joint and QL are locked up. Have likely been locked up for a while. Considering that I haven't been able to pop my right side for years but my left side pops nicely with a little twist, I can definitely agree that its tight and locked up.
I gotta let the swelling go down in my knee and address this fast because I need to start training heavy soon. Otherwise I might just be squatting in the 60% range all the way up until the meet and just guessing.
SO I gotta stretch out my back and work on mobilizing my SI because my left side tracks nicely but my right side doesn't move. WIth heavier weights it causes a slight twist which apparently murders my knee.

WEDNESDAY

Mobilization drills on my shoulders and t-spine.
Hip mobility and agile 8

Standing Strict press: 225x6x6 (full stop at top and bottom)
CAT Bench press: 315+chains x 5 x 8 sets

THURSDAY

Avoiding using the knee. This was supposed to be my day back working at 80% in the Deadlift to start building volume but due to my knee and not wanting to aggravate it I decided to do stiff leg deads. At least my forearm is feeling a little bit better.

StiffLeg Deadlifts:
155x5
245x5
335x5
425x5
515x5x10 sets touch and go

I attempted to do some bent over rows but even with straps it hurt my forearm.

I did some inverted rows using straps but had to minimize the range of motion a little bit to avoid the forearm..so I didn't squeeze at the top.
4 sets of 25

FRIDAY

Bench Press:
135x10
185x8
225x5
275x5
315x2
350x1
380x3(long pause)x6 sets

CAT Bench: 315+chains x 5 x 8 sets 20 mins

DB bench press: 120's x 12 x 3 sets

DB Lateral raises: 20's x 40 x 2 sets
(normally I would use anything from 50's to 70's for this but I can't hold anything that heavy yet...still happy i could do these without pain in the forearm).

Jay Nera
11-03-13, 12:54 am
My girlfriend competed in her first bikini competition today. So being the supportive man that I am, I sat in a chair and watched both the morning portion and the evening portion of the show. My hip flexors are tight. My knees are aching. I am hungry. What a genius idea to not allow food or drink into the show when half he people are 250 lb monsters.
My girl came in 5th out 13. Proud of her.
Watching bodybuilding shows makes me want to try it...a new test... a break on my body from heavy weights.. but then I would be victimizing myself by placing the subjective outcome of my hard work and dedication into the hands of a few judges.....and I hate politics.
Anyway, I respect the bodybuilders a ton(the big ones). Some massive amounts of lean mass on these dudes...and this was an amateur event. Ben Seath..big ups man! Courage to hop on stage.

Anyway, I was able to get to my gym for an hour in between showtimes.
My grip was feeling better so I did a few things.

Inverted Rows(straps): 25x6 sets (slow and controlled focusing on scapular retraction and squeezing)
Front raises w DB's: 25's x 25 x 2 sets (normally would go heavier but babying my forearm just in case)
Lateral Raises: 25's x25x4 sets (again, babying forearm)
Hollow rocks: 4 sets of 30
Tricep pump up: using bands...chased a pump.

I basically just need to get some blood moving to feel awake...or alive... or to simply not want to shoot myself because Saturdays are normally the fun violent squatting days i live for.

Jay Nera
11-04-13, 12:38 am
Dan Green competed yesterday and fell short of his goal. I thought for sure that he would smoke Andrey Belyaev's 2094 total at 220 in wraps at Supertraining's Backyard meet. The guy is human after all. Not only did I think that Dan would have been totalling in the mid 2100's I was really hoping for it. I really want to see guys like Pozdeev and Belyaev cross the ocean to compete against some north americans and I don't think that they will until someone is smoking them. Dan has already taken Belyaev's all time record total 2028@220 in just a belt but how are these guys going to be enticed to not only compete in Full Power again...but to leave their country?
Anyway, I know that Dan is after both raw and wrapped records in BOTH the 220 and 242 weight classes. And Zahir recently took his 242 wraps record... I am confident he will be defending his 220 raw record at RUM still...and as usual, with tunnel vision and stubborn determination...means I got to get things in order and start rolling this boulder up the mountain.

Jay Nera
11-04-13, 8:00 pm
Before I hurt my forearm I had joined a glob0 gym. One particularly popular for bodybuilders in Ottawa. My gym where I train and run my business is a crossfit gym and a barbell club so its barbells and implements that require you to be the machine not to use machines. This is beneficial if your training is very broad and you wish to build and practice skill sets...But i only have 3 skills I wish to build and specific muscles I wish to strengthen and bring up...using machines is something I wish to try. I joined it because I am trying to 'cultivate mass' as I am considered to be a light 220 competitor, normally walking around at 226-228, and I wanted to focus more attention on building muscle in my accessory work. I was primarily wanting to focus on shoulders and back and I wanted to do chest supported rows but with the forearm I haven't been there in over a month. It's feeling better now.

I thought I'd hit the bench press and then train some chest triceps and rear delts today at a globo gym full of bodybuilders. Bodybuilder Tony Searle trains at the gym I went to. Maybe we will make a video together, so long as I don't have to have a flex off with him.

Bench Press: 405x2(paused) x6 sets, 315x14
Incline DB Bench Press: 100x12, 120x10, 140's x 7x3 sets
Total Chest machine (by paramount?): 4 sets of 10 ( a machine that focuses on the end of the pressing motion, hits the chest complete opposite of a bench press, very cool)
Rear Delt and tricep work: I basically just walked around for 20 minutes doing supersets of different exercises for rear delts and triceps. ADD in a globo gym.

* Going to skip squatting tomorrow and baby the knee a little bit more.

ronnie
11-04-13, 8:34 pm
...and as usual, with tunnel vision and stubborn determination...means I got to get things in order and start rolling this boulder up the mountain.

fuckin right.

Jay Nera
11-08-13, 12:01 am
TUESDAY

I'm still babying my knee so today I decided to spend some time with lower body mobility and then I did some ring rows. On lower body days I almost always like to do upper body pulling motions after but I am very limited with my forearm. So I put some straps on and did some bodyweight ring rows.

Ring Rows: 25 slow quality x 5 sets
Cuban Cleans: 15's x 20 x 2 sets

WEDNESDAY

Wednesdays are for light shoulder work and mobility.
I spent a good 40 minutes doing mobility drills on my t-spine, shoulders, and then hips.
And then I did a very quick and easy workout.

Standing Strict press:
135x5
185x5
225x6x6 sets full stop at top and bottom
135x25

DB Lateral raises: 25's x 40 x 2 sets
Rear Delt raises: 25's x30 x 2 sets

I had to take it easy and keep the weights light on the raises because my forearm was starting to feel a little bit aggravated. Normally I would prefer to stay in 15 rep range.

THURSDAY

My first day handling some weight in the deadlift. I'm going to start building volume with 80% in the DL.

Deadlift:
155x5
245x3
335x2
425x1
515x1
615x3x8sets ( felt a little slow because I haven't gone this heavy in a while, i'll use a belt and do 4's next week)
515x5x2 sets Fast and aggressive.

Hollow rocks: 3 sets of 40

SquatPressPull
11-08-13, 10:28 am
Jay, enjoying the logs man. Keep it up!

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
11-08-13, 10:34 am
How do you like the Agile 8? Feel like it is beneficial?

Universal Rep
11-08-13, 10:45 am

RUM 7 looks to be big for Animal athletes... If ur goin out, thatd make another.

Jay Nera
11-10-13, 3:25 pm
How do you like the Agile 8? Feel like it is beneficial?

Chase.

LOVE IT...NEED IT...

At first, I never really thought about warming up. Lifting was my warm up. 1 plate, 2 plates, 3 plates etc... those were my warm ups. But as my body starts to carry the battle scars of all the training sessions I put it through, I find that it definitely helps TONS. I do the agile 8 quickly before I train lower body. At first I used to have to spend time on it becuase everything really hurt. I couldn't foam roll without being in extreme pain. But now I search for pain spots and then just roll them out. It has helped a lot and helped me move past some rec fem issues I was having.

Jay Nera
11-10-13, 3:27 pm
RUM 7 looks to be big for Animal athletes... If ur goin out, thatd make another.

U-Rep... I'm hoping that this years RUM gets a lot of attention. I think its going to be a really big meet with this new lifting format incorporating the two "raw" styles. Stoked.

Jordan...RUM...Wraps or no wraps?

Jay Nera
11-10-13, 3:41 pm
FRIDAY

My forearm is very tender from deadlifting yesterday. My back is BEAT UP!! Only deadlifting once in about the last 6 weeks and then yesterdays session...man I am sore.

Bench Press:
135x10
185x7
225x5
275x3
315x2
360x2
380x4(paused)x6sets
315+chains x 5 x 8 sets (2 min rests, CAT)

DB Bench Press:
120's x 12 x 3 sets

DB Lateral raises: 25's x 40 x 2 sets (still staying light because of grip)
DB rear delts: 25's x 40 x 2 sets

Triceps using bands

SATURDAY

I put my squatting off for a weak because my knee was starting to bug me a bit. Not sure how it will handle the heavy lifting. Starting to question whther or not I should go ahead with the squat cycle I had planned for RUM or if I should CAT squat all the way up until the meet to remain healthy and focus more on my bench and deadlift. Its depressing to think. But sometimes you gotta face the facts, and the facts are that maybe taking my squat to the next level will be detrimental to the other two lifts as it was last year at RUM.
Anyway, I thought I'd try squatting what I had planned and to think about it later.

Front Squats:
135x5
225x3
315x2
Back Squat:
405x2
455x1
495x1
545x1
585x1
595x3x6sets

I put my belt on for the first 595x3 set and I cannot beleive how much bigger I have gotten. I have been walking around at about 236-239 these last couple weeks and man has my belt gotten tight. 595 felt worse than 585 because of not being used to the belt.
Anyway, squat day in the books. Knee did not feel bad but I was squatting very tentatively which made the reps feels slower and rougher than I had anticipated...595x3 should have been VERY easy considering my best reps around this weight are 615 x8.

SUNDAY-OFF

My knee is tender which scares me a little bit...but my quads are crazy sore...they will adapt... I love it.

Altered Beast
11-11-13, 11:07 am

X2.

FINALLY found your thread! Subbed.

*I'd love to compete in RUM one of these days, such a fantastic and reputable organization. Got my third meet in April (SPF).

Universal Rep
11-11-13, 11:18 am
U-Rep... I'm hoping that this years RUM gets a lot of attention. I think its going to be a really big meet with this new lifting format incorporating the two "raw" styles. Stoked.

I have a feelin RUM will get a little more attention this year than in past...

J Wong
11-11-13, 12:07 pm

No wraps. I was contemplating the wrapped day, but after not hitting a PR squat this past weekend without them...I'm competing without them as usual.

Jay Nera
11-12-13, 8:00 pm
Hitting up the globo gym today to do some low volume bench and then some bodybuilding type exercises that I can't do at my gym because it lacks the equipment. Training with Kade so I had a lift off in the bench which is sweet because I often don't get this privilege.

Bench Press:
135x10
185x8
225x5
275x3
315x2
365x1
405x2(paused)x6sets
315x13

Incline Bench Press:
275x10x3sets

Total Chest Machine(by paramount): 6 sets of 10reps
superset with Rear Delt on pec fly machine: 6 sets of 20 reps

Tricep pump up work.

Feeling jacked.

Jay Nera
11-12-13, 8:07 pm
Today is more like a squat practice day. I'm building volume on my Saturday squat sessions and today keeping the volume low on the Tuesday Squat sessions.

Front Squat:
135x5
225x3
315x2
Back Squat:
405x2
455x1
495x1
545x1
600x2x6 sets

Still squatting cautiously with my knee. I hate it. My knee felt fine in the warm ups but its like I am expected pain so I do as much as I can to 'avoid' any pain. I noticed I was leaning back a lot and initiating my squats with a lot more hip than usual...causing the squats to feel awful for the weight being used.

We'll see how Saturdays squats feel.

Jay Nera
11-12-13, 8:16 pm
No wraps. I was contemplating the wrapped day, but after not hitting a PR squat this past weekend without them...I'm competing without them as usual.

I hope you do NO WRAPS. I think it's really cool that this meet will have both wraps and no wraps but my fear is that Day 1 will be smaller because a lot of people who usually go no wraps might lift in wraps, ie Sam Byrd. And People who wear wraps rarely take them off and go no wraps.

Jay Nera
11-12-13, 8:18 pm
I have a feelin RUM will get a little more attention this year than in past...

The entry forms were released yesterday. Hopefully it fills up fast and we will get a peak at the line up soon.

J Wong
11-12-13, 11:11 pm
I hope you do NO WRAPS. I think it's really cool that this meet will have both wraps and no wraps but my fear is that Day 1 will be smaller because a lot of people who usually go no wraps might lift in wraps, ie Sam Byrd. And People who wear wraps rarely take them off and go no wraps.

I have that same fear actually. I am definitely going to go 242 no wraps. I know there are some legit guys in my weight class...off the top of my head I can think of Kade Weber (who is fucking huge by the way...what does he usually weigh?) and Brian Hopper. Really looking forward to the roster.

Jay Nera
11-13-13, 12:04 am
I have that same fear actually. I am definitely going to go 242 no wraps. I know there are some legit guys in my weight class...off the top of my head I can think of Kade Weber (who is fucking huge by the way...what does he usually weigh?) and Brian Hopper. Really looking forward to the roster.

Yes, he is rather large these days. But if Dan Green can make the cut down to 220 I am confident that with discipline Kade can make the cut down to 242. I just have to be diligent and beat him with a stick and not let him out of the basement until he finishes his steaks and lifts all the weights. haha. In all seriousness, I've been pestering him to buy a scale and start paying attention because last meet he was a few lbs off and didn't make the cut. Whatever he weighs...I suspect his deadlift will be the largest in RUM history. Yes...I said that.

Altered Beast
11-13-13, 9:16 am
This may be a bit off topic. Jay, do you feel that wraps give too much rebound?

I'm still not understanding the bickering amongst lifters regarding this issue. Wraps will give you MAYBE 30 pounds, possibly a bit more if someone really cranks them down. Personally, I don't get much out of them but do enjoy the complete lack of pain in the knee area after some super heavy Squats.

Jay Nera
11-13-13, 7:13 pm
This may be a bit off topic. Jay, do you feel that wraps give too much rebound?

I'm still not understanding the bickering amongst lifters regarding this issue. Wraps will give you MAYBE 30 pounds, possibly a bit more if someone really cranks them down. Personally, I don't get much out of them but do enjoy the complete lack of pain in the knee area after some super heavy Squats.

I've honestly never really given wraps a try other than the one time I did a multi-ply meet so not only was I squatting in an ancient squat suit but my squat form was completely different.
I may have to start learning to use them to compete against some lifters around the world. For example, Worldlifting or Battle of Champions.

Usually when it comes to talking about what people get out of wraps I hear 50 on the low end and as high as 70-100 on the high end. I think the best people to ask are people who compete at both because they will be more likely to have an unbiased answer. Ie Sam Byrd or Dan Green.

Jay Nera
11-17-13, 3:05 pm
WEDNESDAY

I am still keeping this day as a mobility/ light overhead press day.

Hip mobility
Shoulder mobility
T-spine

Standing Strict Press:
225x6x6sets

THURSDAY

Today is a terrible day.
I have been told that the my knee issues stem from a tightness in my QL and SI Joint which cause a slight tilt in my hips and a twist in my squat. This puts a lot of pressure on my right knee when I squat. So I have been working hard to mobilize this region. Upon deadlifting today....

Deadlift:
155x5
245x4
335x2
425x1
515x1
615x4x2 sets... On the 3rd set 3rd rep my Serratus Anterior Inferior (a muscle I have never really contemplated before) pulled. It sounded like light cracks in my left lower back and then I had to lie down.
This is a real let down and will likely throw my lower body training off by another week. I have never felt like such a china cabinet before. It is almost a helpless feeling but fuck what can I do?
I got to figure this shit out because I went from feeling very healthy a few months ago to all of a sudden dealing with this garbage. I am contemplating preparing for RUM without lifting any heavy weights(lower body). Staying below 70% for the entire journey. I really only have 10 weeks and I should well on my way to building volume with moderate weights right now...instead, I am encountering these crazy issues.

Jay Nera
11-17-13, 3:19 pm
My good friend Paul Vaillancourt, 3-Time Ontario's Strongest Man Champion and multiple Canada's Strongest Man competitor gave me a good analogy today. He said I need to realize that I am no longer a work horse. I am no longer young and I am no longer performing a broad range of things that I can just just 'work' through. "It's not just about working hard anymore and having that crazy intensity."
"You're a specialist...a quarter horse.
A work horse can perform well and perform well often. You're a quarter horse...you need to prep properly. A quarter horse is the best horse on the track and is rarely beaten but they require a ton of maintenance."

A positive way to look at things ...i guess. Considering that I have never even had a massage...Paul is likely correct. AWe look at power athletes like the weightlifters in China or Russia and they have entire teams of people there to help them with their recovery. It's insane. Anyway... I thought I was doing a lot of prehab...but apparently I have not been and I should be seeking help.
Pissed off.

Jay Nera
11-17-13, 3:33 pm
FRIDAY
Luckily, my back issue isn't so severe that I cannot bench press. On a light note, I can now flex my forearm to show off my popeye-ness without any pain...this is huge. Hopefully soon I can start doing some pull-ups again.

Bench Press: I am still building volume with 80%.
135x10
185x8
225x6
275x3
315x2
365x1
380x5(paused) x 5 sets, on the 6th set I only got 4 reps...my shoulder slid up the mat and I flatenned out on the pause...not cool.

CAT Bench: 315+chains(approx30-40lbs) x5 reps x 4 sets, dropped chains and did 4 more sets ( 2 minute rest between sets, I dropped the chains because the speed was dwindling)

DB rear delt raises: 25's x40 x 2 sets

Chivalry
11-17-13, 4:37 pm
That sucks your dealing with an injury, Jay. I mentioned to Brandon a little bit back, after I had tweaked my back during squats, and he mentioned something that, truly I felt makes a lot of sense.

Every time I have had struggles, or injuries in the gym it has lead me to new success. Use this time to gain momentum to build new PR's

While, I'm not a pro or anything like that, I do feel like can learn something new, something that'll help you in the long run and help you bust even bigger PR's.

Hope your issues clear up soon.

Altered Beast
11-18-13, 10:14 am
Jay look into a product called "The Soak" and use it for hydrotherapy after self myofascial release work with a Rumble Roller. Absolute best thing in the world for your muscles/joints.

Jay Nera
11-19-13, 10:50 pm
That sucks your dealing with an injury, Jay. I mentioned to Brandon a little bit back, after I had tweaked my back during squats, and he mentioned something that, truly I felt makes a lot of sense.

While, I'm not a pro or anything like that, I do feel like can learn something new, something that'll help you in the long run and help you bust even bigger PR's.

Hope your issues clear up soon.

I couldn't agree more. Although while you're in the hole you need to keep reminding yourself that this shit is temporary because it can really grind you down. Working around and figuring stuff out is always different and sometimes fun...but it never feels as though the progress desired is being achieved... but yes, the silver lining.

Jay Nera
11-19-13, 10:51 pm
Jay look into a product called "The Soak" and use it for hydrotherapy after self myofascial release work with a Rumble Roller. Absolute best thing in the world for your muscles/joints.

I'll get my hands on some of that for sure. Good call.

Jay Nera
11-19-13, 11:02 pm
MONDAY

I went to a globo bodybuilding gym for some bench practice and then chest, tricep and rear delt work. I'm not going to lie. Chasing a pump can be refreshing and good for the ego. ha.

Bench Press:
135x10
185x6
225x5
275x3
315x2
365x1
405x2 paused x 6 sets ( this was the best they have felt in the past few months, really flying off the chest with good speed)
315x14

Incline bench press: 275 x9x3 sets

Total Chest machine by paramount(a machine that really focuses on the top portion of the pressing action. THe resistance curve would be the opposite of the bench press so it feels awesome on the chest) 5 sets of 10
Superset w rear delts on pec deck machine doing sets of 25

Tricep Press downs 5 sets of 40s TUT superset w chest supported rows 40's TUT

TUESDAY

Because of my back from last Thursday I was very hesitant to even squat but I hate not training.

I warmed up to 60% and did some very slow and controlled reps.

Front Squat:
145x4
235x2
325x1
Back Squat:
415x5x5 sets ( all reps performed using a 4:1:1 tempo)

Inverted barbell rows: 4 sets of 25 reps

Im happy that I didnt hurt myself further doing the squats. I will have to work very cautiously around this back/hip issue which has been resonating to my knee. I think once I can figure this out a lot of the issues I have been having will hopefully disappear.

ibnmahama
11-19-13, 11:52 pm
MONDAY

I went to a globo bodybuilding gym for some bench practice and then chest, tricep and rear delt work. I'm not going to lie. Chasing a pump can be refreshing and good for the ego. ha.

Bench Press:
135x10
185x6
225x5
275x3
315x2
365x1
405x2 paused x 6 sets ( this was the best they have felt in the past few months, really flying off the chest with good speed)
315x14

Incline bench press: 275 x9x3 sets

Total Chest machine by paramount(a machine that really focuses on the top portion of the pressing action. THe resistance curve would be the opposite of the bench press so it feels awesome on the chest) 5 sets of 10
Superset w rear delts on pec deck machine doing sets of 25

Tricep Press downs 5 sets of 40s TUT superset w chest supported rows 40's TUT

TUESDAY

Because of my back from last Thursday I was very hesitant to even squat but I hate not training.

I warmed up to 60% and did some very slow and controlled reps.

Front Squat:
145x4
235x2
325x1
Back Squat:
415x5x5 sets ( all reps performed using a 4:1:1 tempo)

Inverted barbell rows: 4 sets of 25 reps

Im happy that I didnt hurt myself further doing the squats. I will have to work very cautiously around this back/hip issue which has been resonating to my knee. I think once I can figure this out a lot of the issues I have been having will hopefully disappear.

Crazy volume on both days. Glad your hip/back issue didn't bother you during/after your workout. What all have you been doing to handle the problem?

J Wong
11-20-13, 10:34 am
Good work man. If all goes well in your training, what #s are you looking to hit to break the record?

Universal Rep
11-20-13, 4:03 pm
Yes, he is rather large these days. But if Dan Green can make the cut down to 220 I am confident that with discipline Kade can make the cut down to 242. I just have to be diligent and beat him with a stick and not let him out of the basement until he finishes his steaks and lifts all the weights. haha. In all seriousness, I've been pestering him to buy a scale and start paying attention because last meet he was a few lbs off and didn't make the cut. Whatever he weighs...I suspect his deadlift will be the largest in RUM history. Yes...I said that.

I suspect several WRs could fall at RUM...

SomeDayI'llBeXL
11-21-13, 10:20 am
Im really liking this thread so far. I started molding my workouts like yours and Dan Greens a few months ago and Ineed two hands to count the PRs Ive hit in the last 90 days. Im hoping you heal up quick and get back to 100% soon.

Universal Rep
11-21-13, 10:46 am
Im really liking this thread so far. I started molding my workouts like yours and Dan Greens a few months ago and Ineed two hands to count the PRs Ive hit in the last 90 days. Im hoping you heal up quick and get back to 100% soon.

JN is a really knowledgeable dude... Have ya seen his vids?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCwC4PaQvjI

Jay Nera
11-22-13, 12:11 am
Crazy volume on both days. Glad your hip/back issue didn't bother you during/after your workout. What all have you been doing to handle the problem?

I consider 5x5@60 to be very low volume. If i don't even notice that i worked out, that is, if I do not feel as though I put my body through something, I feel as though I did not train...and doing that...has left me feeling as though I might as well have taken the day off. But I'm sure it was good because it got blood into my lower back muscles.

epsom salt bathing, lacrosse ball, lots of agile 8, stretching... Im getting a massage on Sunday but I honestly feel as though the reason this happened was because I loosened up my back muscles. IMO, it forced weaker muscles that have been overridden by larger-stronger muscles to be called into play...and they weren't ready... who knows... All i know is it sucked when it happened. Hopefully I can pull around 60% next week.

Jay Nera
11-22-13, 12:16 am

Great to hear. Just remember..Just as sure as I had long flowing locks first....I was training like that first!! lol. I am happy that it works for you. I think many people are afraid to push themselves... my problem seems to be the opposite in that I am always worried I am not doing enough!! ... I have been trying to learn to focus more on recovery. Dan seems to be doing great training with the upper lower 6 day split...his records can attest to that...

Jay Nera
11-22-13, 12:23 am
Good work man. If all goes well in your training, what #s are you looking to hit to break the record?

I am really not sure what to expect right now. I had some very aggressive yet doable goals but right now but body hasn't be agreeing with what I am demanding of it.
I am thinking of changing my approach for the competition and incorporating a lot of CAT work instead of my old school approach on the squat because I hate it when my knee gets sore. With this appraoch I have no idea if I will be able to make any substantial gains in the squat..but i know that I will at least be squatting in the low 700's.... I WAS hoping for above mid 7's but I don't see the light now.

I expect huge gains in my bench press. For the first time in years I will consistently have a training partner to give me lift offs and spots...this changes a lot for me. I'd like to break 500.

Deadlift...any PR will be nice. Above 800 will be a good day...

The main goal is to beat Belyaev's 2028 and Dan's 2030....

If Dan compete's at 220 he will likely up his WR... I'm looking forward to the push.

ibnmahama
11-22-13, 12:25 am
I consider 5x5@60 to be very low volume. If i don't even notice that i worked out, that is, if I do not feel as though I put my body through something, I feel as though I did not train...and doing that...has left me feeling as though I might as well have taken the day off. But I'm sure it was good because it got blood into my lower back muscles.

epsom salt bathing, lacrosse ball, lots of agile 8, stretching... Im getting a massage on Sunday but I honestly feel as though the reason this happened was because I loosened up my back muscles. IMO, it forced weaker muscles that have been overridden by larger-stronger muscles to be called into play...and they weren't ready... who knows... All i know is it sucked when it happened. Hopefully I can pull around 60% next week.

Did you loosen up your back muscles through a deep tissue massage? If so it takes 2 days for everything to be back to normal or I should say safer to workout and even then you have to take it slow. I use the lacrosse ball as well for my shoulder which I have a problem with. I definitely like the Epsom salt bath. I feel its most effect when u are in a jacuzzi

Altered Beast
11-22-13, 10:25 am
I highly recommend investing in a whirl pool bath and look up a product called THE Soak. It will change your life and your lifting for the better!

Jay Nera
11-24-13, 10:45 pm
WEDNESDAY

Light shoulders. Wore a belt to protect back.

Standing Strict PRess:
135x5
185x5
225x6x6 sets (pause top and bottom)

Lateral raises:
25's x 40 x 3 sets
suerpset with
Ring Pull apart(rear delt):
3 sets fo 25

Later in the day I did some tricep work using bands. Overhead extensions, pulldowns, etc...

THURSDAY

Normally I would deadlift but I do not want to risk anything with my back. SO I did some light squatting.

Front Squat:
145x5
235x2
325x1
Back Squat:
415 x 5 x 5 sets ( Every rep was performed with a 4:1:1 tempo.

* I am not particularly big on tempo work. I do see a lot of value in tempo work and pause squats. They are simply not something I incorporate very often. BUt since I do not want to squat heavy and am not confident in squatting fast... i thought I would do this. Not only does it make the workout more interesting and challenging with the light weights, it forces me to really slow down and have a lot of control which obviously, since I am injured, is a good idea.

Jay Nera
11-24-13, 10:56 pm
FRIDAY

I was excited to bench today. My first time using our new bench press! For my entire powerlifting career I have lifted on narrow benches, uneven benches, and our previous bench the rack was too short to lift off properly.... So i think I could change nothing and my bench will go up just by the fact that I will be training on better equipment.

Bench Press:
135x10
185x6
225x5
275x3
315x2
365x1
380x5,6,6,6,6,5,5 ( all paused)
( I was supposed to do 6 sets of 6 today. My first set was very crappy and I only got 5 reps. THe middle sets were all money and then my 6th set I hit the hooks on the way up of the 5th rep which really messed me up for my 6th rep...I did an extra set but only got 5. Oh well. My bench is feeling decent. Next week I will attempt a heavy sinlge around 95% to see how things are feeling)

SATURDAY

Babying the back. Squatting on the new barbell side of my gym. Testing out if i like the squat rack where it is before we bolt it into the ground.

Front Squat:
135x5
225x3
315x2
Back Squat:
405x5x5(4:1:1 Tempo), 5 x 2 sets CAT style.....( on the way up on my 5th rep of 2 set the fast change of direction felt funny on my back...so I called it a day with the squats)

Inverted Rows(bar):
6 sets of 25 reps

SUNDAY

I got my very first massage today.
Lower back
Glutes
Hammies
Quads

My body is a train wreck and I need a lot more than one session. Felt really good/bad and I think it'll help out a lot. My Vastus Lateralis(rear side behind IT band) and my TFL are extremely tight AND sensitive. Hopefully working on these clears a lot of the bullshit up with my heavy squatting....... I HAVE BIG WEIGHTS TO MOVE!!

Jay Nera
11-27-13, 12:10 am
MONDAY

HIt the bodybuilding gym for some bench practice followed by bodybuilding.

Bench Press:
135x10
185x8
225x5
275x3
315x2
365x1
405x2(paused)x6 sets
315x13

Incline Bench Press:
275x9(paused)x3 sets

Total Chest by Paramount 5 sets of 10
superset with
Rear delts of pec deck machine 5 sets of 20-25

Walked around and pumped up shoulders with laterals and machines, and triceps with various machines....felt jacked so i flexed like a douche for a bit.

TUESDAY

I did two workouts today.

Workout 1(11am) at my gym (dynamo barbell):
Back Squat: 405 x 5 reps x 8 sets ( all reps were performed at a 4:1:1 tempo)

Workout 2(7:30pm) at a globo gym:
I did a bodybuilding style workout. My forearm is feeling better so I decided to attack my back with some horizontal rowing now that I can actually hold onto some moderate weights without feeling as though my forearm will explode. I have done so much pull up and chin work in my life but so little rowing.... I did 3 hard working sets of approx 15 reps on 3 different machines:

Cable rows(neutral grip)- Chin tucked, shoulders ahead of hips, long strokes...feels similar to my DL setup
Chest Supported T-Bar rows(pronated grip)
Chest supported rows(hammer strength machine (supinated grip)

Felt jacked...but didn't flex like a douche this time... strictly business...in and out...

J Wong
11-27-13, 12:13 am
I always read your log title as: "Syphilis Is Smiling."

Jay Nera
11-27-13, 12:36 am

Sigh.

Universal Rep
11-27-13, 8:51 am
I did a bodybuilding style workout. My forearm is feeling better so I decided to attack my back with some horizontal rowing now that I can actually hold onto some moderate weights without feeling as though my forearm will explode. I have done so much pull up and chin work in my life but so little rowing.... I did 3 hard working sets of approx 15 reps on 3 different machines

Why BB? Do ya like to mix it up?

Syphilis Is Styling here....

knotahumanbeing
11-27-13, 9:16 am

LMAO!! I just busted out laughing here at work..I'm getting strange looks now.

Jay..your front squat def is very impressive. I watched the vid on YouTube, and I'm hoping to break 315 3 x 3 tonight. I hit a PR of 290 last week for 3. I appreciate the highly informative vids, as they're def helping me on my journey. Great work man.

Jay Nera
11-29-13, 12:12 am
[QUOTE=Universal Rep;1350736]Why BB? Do ya like to mix it up?

When it comes to bench pressing, and Dan Green often points this out, at some point you just have to get bigger. Most of the benchers with big numbers come from bodybuilding backgrounds...to name a few, GUNZ, Phillip Brewer, Greg Doucette, Stan Efferding. So once a week, on my light bench press 'practice' day I hit up a ton of assistance and chase a pump.

For the back muscles, I have been doing pull ups and pull up variations since 13 years old. I can hundreds of them in a workout...ie..for the past 10 years I have done around 400-600 a week(not kidding), 140-220 a day 3 times a week( used to do on lower body days).... but that is all horizontal pulling. I train in my gym which has zero machines and the only horizontal rows I can do are inverted rows(reverse pushups using a bar or rings) or bent over rows(and those kill my back after squatting or deadlifting..... so I like the chest supported machines...

It's also just nice sometimes to not have to think about sets and reps and just chase the pain and the pump.

Jay Nera
11-29-13, 12:18 am
WEDNESDAY

MObility work on shoulders, t-spine, hips.

Standing Strict press (pause at top and bottom):
135x5
185x5
225x6x6
135x22

Lateral raises:
30's x30 x 3 sets
WITH
Tricep pumpin using bands

THURSDAY

TEsting my DL out to see how the back feels.

Deadlift:
155x5
245x3
335x2
425x1
515 x 6 x8 sets

THey felt alright. Only one set felt like money. The rest of them although they moved easily, my technique felt off as I was tentatively lifting the weight like a bitch waiting to see if my serratus posterior inferior would make me fall to the floor again....luckily..it didn't... next week Ill increase the weight and cut the volume to test it out.

Jay Nera
11-29-13, 10:51 pm
FRIDAY

Taking a break from building volume. Hought I'd work up to a heavy paused single and then do a little work.

Bench Press(every rep paused)
135x10
185x8
225x5
275x3
315x2
365x1
405x1
430x1
455x1
405x4
315+chains x5 x 5 CAT

DB Bench Press
120's x 12 x 4 sets
superset w
Rear delt raises
30's x 30 x 4 sets

Tricep press downs and overhead extensions using bands
ss w
lateral raises 30's x 30
4 sets of each

The paused 455 wasn't as easy as I had hoped. The pause didn't feel very good. I'm still getting used to the new bench press which is really nice because for the first time ever I am training on a real pad....but the bench pad is positioned weird making it short so my thighs are touching the corner...which pisses me off.

Jay Nera
12-01-13, 1:17 am
In the past month I've only squatted a couple of times and they were 4:1:1 tempo squats with 405. I haven't even been CAT squatting in the way I like because I have been cautious with the knee. I have nine training weeks left until RUM. I thought I would try and see how 80% felt today. I ended up going a little heavier...

Front Squat:
135x5
225x3
315x2
Back Squat:
405x2
455x1
495x1
545x1
585x1
(add belt) 635x1
675x1
705x-
635x3
500x3x5 sets, reps performed at a 4:1:1 tempo

***My squats were feeling great until I put my belt on. The added weight makes my belt too small and it pushes me out of moist ion at the bottom... A downside to gaining weight. The 675 felt pretty easy but then the 705 felt terrible at the bottom, I think that the extra big breath I took in combed with the small belt bounce me up early..im pretty sure it was slightly high, I just know that my glutes and hammies didn't feel active at the bottom....
635x3...I thought I'd get 5 or 6 but again, i felt out of position at the bottom. I might have to buy a new belt or make sure I'm lean for the meet.
Tempo work at 500.... that 4 seconds down coupled with the pause, at that weight for me, is a really good challenge.I enjoyed these even though they caused a vicious back pump into the 4th and 5th sets...

Jay Nera
12-01-13, 4:30 pm
Vid from last squat session......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMRJoVdlG2w&feature=c4-overview&list=UUhSMvZu6kE1vmIPAq9r1uaw

ibnmahama
12-02-13, 12:15 am
Good to hear that you are back to back squatting. Yo with ur wrist problem, were ur fingers locking up on u too?

Universal Rep
12-04-13, 1:18 pm
Vid from last squat session......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMRJoVdlG2w&feature=c4-overview&list=UUhSMvZu6kE1vmIPAq9r1uaw

Solid vid.

Jay Nera
12-04-13, 11:08 pm
Good to hear that you are back to back squatting. Yo with ur wrist problem, were ur fingers locking up on u too?

No. My fingers weren't ever locking up on me. The issue had more to do with my wrist flexor tendons, proximal insertion. Everytime I would try to grip something it would feel as though my entire forearm was going to rip from my elbow. Embarrassed to say...but the issue had to do with how I spot my female clients at my crossfit gym. We have a lot of strong women, but when maximal sets are on the board... i might end up doing a lot of bicep curling because I can't squat women the same and the weights dont seem that bad.... but catching multiple 200+ lb squats and curling them back to the squat stand with eff up you forearms if you're an idiot like me...

Only recently am i able to hang from a pull up bar without pain.

Jay Nera
12-04-13, 11:09 pm
Solid vid.

I wrote this quickly to go with that video when I got a couple fb questions. http://www.upstrong.blogspot.ca/2013/12/squat-practice-and-tempo-selection.html

shortstack
12-05-13, 1:37 pm
Did you say Hundreds of pullups???? Per day?? haha Awesome. I just added back in all the accessories I cut before my last meet and although they do get tough, I love the pull ups. Do you think it would be more effective, strength wise, to kick out the pullups weighted or work more volume, like in the hundreds?

Thanks Brother.

Jeremy

Jay Nera
12-08-13, 5:51 pm
Did you say Hundreds of pullups???? Per day?? haha Awesome. I just added back in all the accessories I cut before my last meet and although they do get tough, I love the pull ups. Do you think it would be more effective, strength wise, to kick out the pullups weighted or work more volume, like in the hundreds?

Thanks Brother.

Jeremy

Yeah, I do hundreds of pull-ups a week. When I'm doing just bodyweight and strict, I like to do a lot of sets in the 20-25 rep range. 3-4 per variation, i.e. 3-4 sets pull-up, 3-4 sets neutral, 3-4 sets chin-up; all in the 20-25 rep range per set. Without going to failure you can control quality better.

Strength wise it is definitely more beneficial to use weights. When I use 2 plates for example, Ill still do 3-4 sets per variation but i'll keep all sets in the 8-12 rep range.

One thing I find is that doing my pullups and variations with a loaded weight, when I do a lot of heavy, affects my bench press negatively.

Jay Nera
12-08-13, 6:10 pm
MONDAY

This is my quick 'bench press practice' and 'bodybuilding day'

Bench Press:
135x10
185x6
225x4
275x3
315x2
365x1
415x2x6sets (all paused)
315x13

Incline Bench Press:
275x9x3 sets

DB Press:
140's x7x2 sets

Paramount totoal chest machine: 5 sets of 12
(superset)
Rear delts on pec deck: 5 sets of 25

Walked around doing tricep pump up sets and lateral raises....basically as if I were 19 again trying to get a pump for the ladies at the beach.

***I felt really weak today and my elbows were very sore bench pressing. It made the bench press feel very weak. I think my elbows were not used to the strain from squatting heavy last saturday.

TUESDAY

My knee was feeling very tight yesterday. I think all of the time under tension and also the heavy squatting(which I have not been doing in a long time) got my legs very tight.

I warmed up to squat but once I got to my first set of back squats my right knee was telling me to stop. THe old me may have said fuck it, but as I get older I realize that intensity doesn't cure shit unless its game day....and if you dont make it to game day...whats the fucking point.

Garbage..packed it up and went home.

Jay Nera
12-08-13, 6:17 pm
WEDNESDAY

Very fast and easy day.

I spent a bit of time trying to loosen up my quads and lower back.

A bit of time mobilizing for some overhead pressing.

Standing Strict Press:
135x10
185x3
225x6x(6-7)sets ( all paused at top and bottom) * I wanted to do 6 sets but lost track
135x23

Tricep pulldowns using bands superset with lateral raises 35's x 30 x 3 sets

THURSDAY

I thought I would do a light practice with 80% for some doubles to see how it would feel. It felt awful. My pull feels very different, but I am confident it will get back on track and on the road to an 800 pull.

Deads:
155x5
245x3
335x2
425x1
515x1
add belt
615 x 2 x 7 sets
*I would have liked to have done 8-10 sets and then maybe 1-2 sets of reps with 515 but after my 7th set of doubles I decided to call it a day.

Jay Nera
12-08-13, 6:26 pm
FRIDAY

I built some volume with 380 for a few weeks and it felt good. I tested a heavy single and hit a paused 455. I am resetting to building volume with 390 on Fridays and we'll see where it goes. This is what I did last time and I was inches away from locking out a paused 485... so we'll see.

Bench Press:
135x8
185x4
225x4
275x4
315x2
365x1
390x3(paused)x6 sets, 7th set x 4 paused
CAT Bench 315+chains x 5(paused) x 5 sets

DB Bench Press:
120's x 12 x 3 sets
(superset)
DB rear delt raises: 35's x 30 x 3 sets

Tricep work superset with lateral raises 35's x 30 x 3 sets

Feeling jacked. haha

SATURDAY

I really wasn't even sure if I would get to squat today. My knee has been bugging all week.
After a lot of rolling, i started squatting.
Worked up to a heavy double at 675. Last week i did it for a single, so i thought I'd hit this this week and go for 2-3 and then stay light afterwards instead of doing the downset and then the TUT work.

Front Squat:
135x5
225x2
315x1
Back Squat:
405x2
455x1
495x1
545x1
585x1
(add belt)
635x1
675x2
CAT work 455+ chains x 5 x 5

Thats a day.

I dont really feel like I did much but at least I was able to squat and at least I am walking out of the gym pain free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8tPc2NTIeQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUhSMvZu6kE1vmIPAq9r1uaw

pbclax1
12-08-13, 6:30 pm
Nice work Jay...RUM is gonna be awesome. How do you like those gangsta wraps when squatting? Do you feel the length is too much?

Zac'BOSS
12-09-13, 4:39 am
Hi Jay,
When you make the speed work with the CATs how organize your progress ?
(I've already seen your article of CATs on your blog but i don't like the cycle because 80% it's high percentage for the speed work)

Jay Nera
12-10-13, 9:34 pm
Nice work Jay...RUM is gonna be awesome. How do you like those gangsta wraps when squatting? Do you feel the length is too much?

I like them. They definitely provide a lot a wrist support. I do at times find them too long. Im not exactly the most efficient at putting wrist wraps on so having these 9 foot long wraps does seem like a little much at times... but for now, i am just getting over a forearm injury and the extra support on the wrist gives me peace of mind.

Jay Nera
12-10-13, 9:38 pm
Hi Jay,
When you make the speed work with the CATs how organize your progress ?
(I've already seen your article of CATs on your blog but i don't like the cycle because 80% it's high percentage for the speed work)

Don't always confuse speed work with CAT. THey are similar but not necessarily the same thing.

On my blog, that 60, 70, 80, and then max rep reach day is Sam Byrd's peaking cycle. He performs that in waves leading up to a meet. Each wave is four weeks, so eleven weeks and you are on track for your competition.

When doing CAT the way I like, the off-season approach, and Sam does it very simialr as well, the idea is to stay as light and as long as possible and to move the weight better and better. Sam would say to stay at 60% for AT LEAST 12 weeks.

Altered Beast
12-11-13, 9:24 am
I like them. They definitely provide a lot a wrist support. I do at times find them too long. Im not exactly the most efficient at putting wrist wraps on so having these 9 foot long wraps does seem like a little much at times... but for now, i am just getting over a forearm injury and the extra support on the wrist gives me peace of mind.

Jay, give those SBD Sleeves a go! They are UNREAL! I wear a Large for the elbows and an XL for the Knees. I literally feel zero pain/inflammation and they give a significantly better compression effect than the Rehbands!

Don't always confuse speed work with CAT. THey are similar but not necessarily the same thing.

On my blog, that 60, 70, 80, and then max rep reach day is Sam Byrd's peaking cycle. He performs that in waves leading up to a meet. Each wave is four weeks, so eleven weeks and you are on track for your competition.

When doing CAT the way I like, the off-season approach, and Sam does it very simialr as well, the idea is to stay as light and as long as possible and to move the weight better and better. Sam would say to stay at 60% for AT LEAST 12 weeks.

I find it fascinating how we all are Powerlifters yet we all train so completely different!

Zac'BOSS
12-11-13, 4:40 pm

I had not understand the really "concept" of CAT system, I've confused with speed work, I more understand with your explains, thanks Jay.

Your training looking very solid, you is under your world on the FORVM hahahaha you look like has a animal, a panther in your vids lol

Jay Nera
12-15-13, 12:58 pm
Jay, give those SBD Sleeves a go! They are UNREAL! I wear a Large for the elbows and an XL for the Knees. I literally feel zero pain/inflammation and they give a significantly better compression effect than the Rehbands!

I find it fascinating how we all are Powerlifters yet we all train so completely different!

Thanks man. I'll def give some elbow sleeves a try. Probably rehbands because I can buy them at the store 5 mins away.

Yeah. I a lot of things can vary in training protocols and progress can still be made over broad approaches...but things that always remain constant are programming based upon progression and the SAID principle.

Jay Nera
12-15-13, 4:28 pm
MONDAY

For the past several weeks Monday has been a light bench practice followed by bodybuilding style training for both Kade and I. We hit up a globo gym, practice some benching around 80% for doubles and then do a bunch of things that we can't do at Dynamo Barbell because we dont have the equipment. Just chasing a pump, having some fun...trying to build up the muscles so we can bench more.

Bench Press:
135x10
185x5
225x4
275x3
315x2
365x1
405x2x6 sets(paused) My elbows were really starting to hurt me again. Squatting with tight pecs and lats is likely the cause of this.
315x12

Incline Bench Press:
275x9x3 sets

Paramount total chest machine sets of 10-12reps
superset with
Reverse pec dec/rear delts x 20-25 reps
about 5 supersets total

Db lateral raises 35's x 30
w
Lateral delt machine x burn out
w tricep press downs using rope 15 reps
for 4 rounds
**I gotta do osmething about this elbow pain. A headache in the elbows. I used to only get it when I did 1000 lb quarter squats...but now its destroying me...I am almost positive that it is because I am slightly out of position during squats do to mobility...or maybe I will need to move my hands out a bit.

TUESDAY

I wasn't sure if I would squat today. My knee was feeling off on Sunday and a little bit Monday. SO I warmed up with some agile 8 very slowly and methodically and by the time I got tto the bar the knee felt fine.

Front Squats:
135x5
225x3
315x2
Back Squats:
405x2
455x1
495x1
545x1
585x1
(add belt)
600x5x2 sets
500x5x3 sets

I wasn't 100 percent sure what I wanted to do. I just knew that I wanted to practice with around 80% my 1RM. In the middle of my 1st set I thought of doing a few sets of about 5 just really get used to the weight. 2nd felt awesome and fast but my knee started to feel aggravated and when that happens my technique changes tilting back to save my knee ...my squat becomes more posterior... i hate it. I finished with a few downsets of 500 x5.

Jay Nera
12-15-13, 4:36 pm
WEDNESDAY

Knee feeling a little inflamed.
Today is a light overhead press day or bench speed day.

CAT Bench:
8 sets of 5 reps @ 315 no chains today
I just wanted to flush the muscles with blood without fatigueing them for Fridays bench session.

DB Bench press: 120's x 10 x 3 ( i would normally shoot for 12-15 after a heavy workout, arms feeling fresh I could probably pump out 15-20 but I am just trying to flood the muscles with blood so that I can eat and shuttle some nutrients into them...)

a couple sets of light tris and shoulers

THURSDAY

Because my knee was feeling aggravated I decided not to deadlift. I was supposed to do 615 for a bunch of triples today. But instead, because I hate not training...

Stiff leg deadlifts:
155x5
245x5
335x5
425x5
520x8repsx5sets ( I meant to do 500lbs but after my first set I had realized that I forgot the inside plate was a 25kg so instead of 495+5lbs it was 515+5 lbs) oh well.

Hollow rocks:
3 sets of 30

Jay Nera
12-15-13, 4:44 pm
FRIDAY (the 13th)

Still building volume in the bench press. Last week was 390 x 3 x 6 sets. This week is 390x 4 x 6 sets.
I bought some rehband elbow sleeves and tehy really helped alleviate the pain in my elbows. I feel like an old man needing to put stuff on to help me bench press...but oh well...at least I can bench press still.

Bench Press:
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x4
315x2
365x1
390x4x6 sets (all paused)
315x8x3sets (all 2 second paused, just pumping out and practicing)

* The bench felt very good. In the back of my mind I have to wonder how much these elbow sleeves help..5 lbs, 10 lbs...i dont like it.)

DB Bench Press 120's x 12
superset w
Rear delt raises 35's x 30
3 sets

Skull crushers 155x10
superset w
lateral raises 35's x 30
x 3 sets

SATURDAY

I decided to not let myself touch a bar today AT ALL...this is a hard thing for me to do.... addiction.

I did a shit ton of mobilizing and stretching.

Followed by a fair amount of very light bicep work. Trying to get a lot of blood into the biceps to both strengthen them and to help alleviate whatever the elbow issue that I have is. Didn't go any heavier than a 30 lb dumbbell...I basically might as well have worn some lulu lemon pants and brought a yoga mat today...but whatever.... you work with what you got...

SomeDayI'llBeXL
12-16-13, 10:56 am
I absolutely hate curling, I have never enjoyed it....but, I do notice my elbows get pissy when i dont do the occasional sets. Nothing heavy, nothing hard, Like yourself I just use some light DBs, get a quick pump and get the heck out.

I'm really enjoying this log so far. The amount of weight and sets you do still kindof boogles my mind. I know for myself, 80% of my squat max is still quite heavy for me, I couldnt imagine doing it for 8 sets of 5, no way in heck.

The best of luck with your injuries, Im really hoping they heal quickly for you. Have you ever tried the Voodoo floss for your knee and elbow?

Jay Nera
12-22-13, 7:17 pm
I absolutely hate curling, I have never enjoyed it....but, I do notice my elbows get pissy when i dont do the occasional sets. Nothing heavy, nothing hard, Like yourself I just use some light DBs, get a quick pump and get the heck out.

I'm really enjoying this log so far. The amount of weight and sets you do still kindof boogles my mind. I know for myself, 80% of my squat max is still quite heavy for me, I couldnt imagine doing it for 8 sets of 5, no way in heck.

The best of luck with your injuries, Im really hoping they heal quickly for you. Have you ever tried the Voodoo floss for your knee and elbow?

Yes, I've treied voodoo flossing ...it helps with the knee sometimes. THe elbow isue has a lot to do with being tight and getting under a heavy squat. We'll see how everything goes. I am glad you are enjoying the log so far. Hopefully the weights continue to get heavier and I get healthier so it gets more interesting.

Jay Nera
12-22-13, 7:42 pm
MONDAY

Working on some doubles today with 415. Put the rehband elbow sleeves on.

Bench Press:
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x2
365x1
405x1
415x2(paused) x 6 sets
315 x 5(paused) x 8 in 25 minutes

DB bench press:
120's x 12 x 3 sets
superset w
DB rear delt:
35's x 30 x3 sets

Skull Crushers:
155x10x3 sets
superset w
Lateral raises:
35's x30x3 sets

Tricep band work to flush up tris

TUESDAY

I decided to maintain squatting only once a week. I will be pushing m deadlift to Wednesday. Today I just did a lot of mobilization drills to loosen up the hips and quads in hopes of freeing up my knee.

I also did some light bicep work. Not because I give a shit about the beach or having guns...although having guns is nice and one day I'd like to make these 19's grow into 20's....for now, I just want this elbow pain to go away.

Incline Bicep curls:
30's x20x5 sets
superset with
cuban cleans:
15's x 20 x 3 sets

felt jacked...not used to feeling the biceps get pumped up...especially since I havent been doing much pullups in the past while from the forearm issue.

Jay Nera
12-22-13, 8:36 pm
WEDNESDAY

Down to squatting once a week. New weekly template is....

Monday- light bench practice with lots of accessories
Tuesday- mobility and biceps(for elbows)
Wednesday- Day of the Deads
Thursday- off/stretch/mobilize
Friday- Bench Press
Saturday- Squat
Sunday- Off...eat a lot...do nothing.

So i haven't deadlifted anything heavy in a very long time. The last time I went over 80% in the deadlift was on my birthday, Sept 7th, write that down, send me a gift... So I wanted to work up to a somewhat heavy set around the 90% ballpark which is 700lbs. Keep in my that for the last little while my deadlift has been feeling awful ...I do not attribute this to a breakdwon in technique... I blame the weight gain...my belt felt tighter. I had been deadlifting since september no belt doing a lot of work with around 500lbs, CAT stuff, so I havent been going heavy hence not needing a belt. When I first started in the 80% range again My belt was too tight...I wasnt sure if it was too tight or if I just needed to man up and get used to it...
Anyway, I cut the carbs down and brought my weight into the 233lb range which is still great because Im used to being around 226-228. My waist is small again so the deadlift feels great.

Deadlift:
155x4
245x2
335x1
425x1
515x1
605x1
add belt...
655x1
700x3 (felt great, especially considering I was nervous for this, I just wanted to do some reps with zero grind...I think I could have done 5 and maybe murdered myself going for a sixth but I did not want to risk any injury)
615x5x3 sets (always full stop, I never do touch and go unless I am doing stiff legs)
515x10 x 1 fast aggressive set

All in all... My best deadlift day in a long time. I walked away having lifted some heavy weights without feeling hurt....for me...this is huge!!
My best reps around this intensity is 715x4 so having done 700x3 fairly easily gives me something positive. at 715x4 I can pull 775...So I am not too far off from my best right now.... just got to get there...and add some more!!

BaconGrease
12-23-13, 7:28 am
Great to see you are back to lifting heavy weights pain free. Very smart move on keeping the 700 to a set of three, I know it can be hard to stop your set when you feel you could do some more reps.

Jay Nera
12-23-13, 9:08 pm
Great to see you are back to lifting heavy weights pain free. Very smart move on keeping the 700 to a set of three, I know it can be hard to stop your set when you feel you could do some more reps.

I hope it was smart...at the time i just wanted to see how the weight felt...but now i'm wondering how the 4th would have felt...the fifth? Did I have a sixth in me? haha.

Altered Beast
12-26-13, 8:46 pm
Mutant training!

Sept. 5 here my man! Virgos, kickin Leo's asses since the start of the Universe!

Jay Nera
12-28-13, 12:04 am
Mutant training!

Sept. 5 here my man! Virgos, kickin Leo's asses since the start of the Universe!

Haha nice!! You have the same Bday as my pops. Now who are these Leos you speak of.... I want to dominate all of the Zodiacs!!

Jay Nera
12-28-13, 12:18 am
THURSDAY

Normally this would be my DL day but since I've modified my usual template to 1 squat a week and moved Thrus to Wed today has become a mobility/abs/rear delta day.

A lot fo foam rolling on the hips and quads and then stretching.

A lot of pectoral, lat, and bicep stretching along with some lacrosse ball self ART.

Hollow rocks: 3 sets of 40

Rear delt DB raises: 3 sets of 35 with the 35's

***During hollow rocks I noticed a slight pain in my left side. An oblique pain. Only hurt during hard contraction... I must have strained it slightly during the heavy deadlifts yesterday.

FRIDAY

Building Volume...5's.

Bench Press:
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x3
315x2
365x1
390x5x5 paused and then 6th set only got 4 * my elbow pain was killing me and this made benching not so fun, it really slowed down my decent.
315x8(paused) x 3 sets

DB press:
120's x 12 x 3 sets
superset w
rear delts using bands
3 sets pump chasing

SKull Crushers:
155x10x3 sets
superset w
Lateral raises 35's x 35 x 3 sets

SATURDAY

I went into the squat not sure exactly what I would do. This is because I want to lift heavy...but am limited by my knee.

I gave myself a lot of time to warm up and roll and really loosen up my quads and activate my VMO and glutes.

Front Squats:
135x5
225x2
315x1
Back Squats:
405x2
455x1
495x1
545x1
585x1
add belt
635x1
675x1...I wanted 3 but my head wasnt right. They say youre not over an injury until you stop thinking about it...well, my knee is making me cautious and cautious slows shit down....I was really pissed...so i sat down...told myself to man up.
675x3 ...this is a triple PR..although I havent attempted a heavy triple in loooong time. Best double is 705...i plan on tripling it in a few weeks. Regardless...I am happy I manned up. ...downsets
635x4x2 sets
Front Squats:
405x5...I wanted to do about 3 sets, but our new westside bar is really slick in between the knurls and it kept sliding which caused my biceps to spasm trying to hold the weight up.... so rather than switch bars I called it a day.

Not a bad day.....
I am concerned that the volume I am working with right now is too little...especially since I am only squatting once a week....but Im working with the cards I've been dealt.

Jay Nera
12-28-13, 12:24 am
SUNDAY

OFF DAY.

KNee slightly sore......

Oblique on left side...fucked up. It felt fine on Saturday. There was a slight pain on Friday but by Saturday I hadnt felt anything.... today, it hurts. I think its an internal oblique strain..I dont think hernias happen that high, under the last rib. we'll see.

Mobility work on hips and shoulders..... eat lots of food.

MONDAY

I went to bench and my elbows were cooked.....still benched though.

Bench Press:
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x5
365x2
405x2paused x 6 sets
315x12x3sets

DB Bench Press
120's x 12x5 sets
superset w
Rear delt db raises
35's x 35x5 sets

no skull crushers today...elbows

light band tricep pumping.x high rep sets

Jay Nera
12-30-13, 1:09 am
TUESDAY

Old squat day has now become another mobilizing day...stretching, foam rolling.... and arms and shoulders.

Smashed the quads and hips hard with the roller and lacrosse ball. Loosened up the hip flexors and the glutes. Stretched out triceps, pecs, lats, and biceps.

5 rounds of:
incline bicep curl 30lb dbs x 20
band tricep extensions 1 min TUT each arm
Lateral raises 35lb DBs x 30

Left feeling loose, mobile, and jacked. Aside from the little bit in the past few weeks I have never really trained my arms. Its all I did when I was a teenager but since training for sports I havent trained them...I kind of like it, and I am hoping that since I cant push my squat as hard and am spending that time on arms, that it pays dividends in the bench press.

WEDNESDAY - Merry CHRISTMAS!

I got up early to train today. For some its christmas...for some its not...for others its still another trianing day. If i am going to be sitting on my ass all day eating food and haning out with family, I am going to need to train too...

I wasn't sure how my internal oblique would feel...fuck...this is ridiculous...i am getting fucking tired of typing about injuries...
Anyway....china cabinet express

Deadlift
155x5
245x3
335x2
425x1 felt a slight pain in the midsection so decided to throw on belt early
515x1....major pain...definitely made my injury worse....stopped....ppissed....stupid...

Thought I might as well train since Im there and Id be sitting all day...and I take thursdays off now so...

Bench Press
135x10
185x8
225x5
275x5
315x5(paused) x 10 sets in 25 minutes (CAT)

Inverted rows:
5 sets of 30

Rear delt db raises: 35's x 30
w
trciep band extensions 1 min TUT each arm
for 4 sets each

leave....drive...eat...eat...eat...

Jay Nera
12-30-13, 1:18 am
THURSDAY

Today is an off day. I did a lot of mobilizing and stretching.... quads, hips, glutes (in that order)....and then lats, triceps, pecs, biceps (in that order).

FRIDAY

Today was an awesome day. My elbows were feeling fresh and it really changed how my bench felt. Not having a ton of pain at the bottom makes such a huge difference.

Bench Press:
135x8
185x5
225x5
275x3
315x3
365x1
390x6(paused) x 6 sets (last set only got 4, went loose on 3rd rep, so i did a 7th set of 4 to grab the extra reps plus a couple)

Sling shot: first time using a sling shot
500x2x3sets
*** I really liked the way that this felt and I see tons of benefit using it with my weak points. I just have to make wure I have training partners around for these days as I tend to train alone....

Bench Press:
315x8(paused) x 3 sets

DB bench press:
120's x 12 x 2 sets
w
rear delt lateral raises
35's x 35 x 2 sets

Skull Crushers
135 x 15 x 2 sets

Great day. Training session felt really good and healthy.

Jay Nera
12-30-13, 1:28 am
SATURDAY

INternal Oblique is still feeling off. Sneezing sends me into a frenzy of agony. So i wasn't really sure how squatting would go. I know that there is pain deadlifting the 155lb bar that is alway sitting on the deadlift platform... but how about when there is zero shearing force on my spine?

I basically decided that no matter how it felt good or bad I would not squat above 500... and either way I would do anywhere from 5-8 sets of 5 reps depending on how the body felt.

Front Squats:
145x5
235x2
325x1
365x1
415x5(4:1:1 tempo) x 8 sets

As soon as I unracked 415 I could feel a very slight indication of pain so I decided to try going at a nice tempo to eliminate any chance of jerkiness and also because If its not going to be heavy or fast...lets get some TUT, some volume...and keep these legs adapting...

5 rounds of:
Inverted rows x 30
band tricep extensions x 1 min TUT each arm
DB lateral raises 35's x 30

TIME TO HEAL..... I'll likely be squatting light on Wednesday instead of deadlifting....and then Saturday, I will either deadlift moderately or squat heavy depending on how this oblique is handling things.....

I have to get to the root cause of these injuries in my midsection and stress on my knees. I beleive that all of my injuries are related to a locked up si joint on my right side which is causing all types of injurious compensations whenever I lift weights above 85%...

Jay Nera
12-30-13, 11:47 pm
MONDAY

Bench Practice day. My elbows are little tender from squatting. I'm wondering if it has to do with our new power bars because there are 3 of us training for RUM. Kade Weber, Paul Oneid and myself all have sore elbows... coincidence?? THe Westside power bar has an excellent knurl and feels awesome to bench....BUT...the non-knurled part of the bar is so slick... it's more difficult to front squat with it because it slides around... and when I was spotting Paul, I noticed a lot of bar movement on his back.

Usually, pain in the elbows has more to do with flexibility in the triceps, lats, and pecs....which we are all likely tight in... but this additional bar movement definitely is a HUGE contributing factor... So this is a down side to the new Westside power bars if anyone out there is considering buying one...

Bench Press:
135x10
185x8
225x5
275x4
315x3
365x2
405x2
415x2x6sets (all reps paused) moved nice and felt easy except for the sore elbows which really slowed down the decent.

Slingshot:
455x6x2 sets
525x3

Downset Bench press: 315x8x3sets

DB Bench Press: 120's x 12 x 3 sets
superset w
DB rear delt raises: 35's x 35 x 3 sets

Had to teach some classes.....

a few hours later

Skull Crushers: 135x15x3sets

Not a bad day.....

Altered Beast
12-31-13, 11:03 am
Fore having sore elbows that seems rather solid!!!

Altered Beast
12-31-13, 11:06 am
For*

Pale Rider
12-31-13, 7:10 pm
Jay you still plan on going 198 you were looking a lil skinny last time i saw u lol

Jay Nera
01-01-14, 10:52 pm
Fore having sore elbows that seems rather solid!!!

Solid yes. ...But for what I've done and my goals... the hunger is not satisfied. :)

Jay Nera
01-01-14, 10:53 pm
Jay you still plan on going 198 you were looking a lil skinny last time i saw u lol

Kade Weber....I heard you finally bought a scale... can you read the numbers or does that huge gut get in the way.

Jay Nera
01-01-14, 10:55 pm
For those of you who don't have me on twitter or fb.....here's a post I thought would be a good share on here.

Dear Everyone out there about to post their NY resolutions,

If you were serious about it...you'd be doing it already.

Sincerely,
#thetruth

Pale Rider
01-06-14, 5:42 pm
Kade Weber....I heard you finally bought a scale... can you read the numbers or does that huge gut get in the way.

lol the other day my scale said error

Altered Beast
01-07-14, 9:08 am
lol the other day my scale said error

#Gainzzzzzz

Jay Nera
01-11-14, 12:34 am
TUESDAY

Light arms day. Getting blood in arms and shoulders. I basically just have to do something because I hate not to train...and since I took a squat day out I need something to at least spark up an appetite.

6 rounds of:
Incline Bench Bicep curls
30's x 20
Tricep Band extensions
40's tension each arm
DB lateral raises
40's x 30

WEDNESDAY ( HNY)

We had a little lifting party at the gym today. Would normally be my deadlift day but my oblique strain would not allow it. So I back squatted instead...this does not seem to irritate it too much although I am forced to lean forward a little bit to force more tension/stabalization onto my back to lighten the load from my midsection...basically slightly over arching like a cheap stripper.

Front Squats (these irritated it a little bit but only when I got to 325)
145x3
235x2
325x1
Back Squats
415x1
465x1
505x5
525x5
545x5
565x5
585x5

These did not feel easy at the end. I was going down very cautious and the forward lean changed it up a little....Back feels tight.

THURSDAY

Keeping it pretty much as a day off. I did a little bit of mobility. HUng upside down in the moon boots.

Incline Bench bicep curls
30's x 20 x 2 sets
* I just wanted to get a little bit of blood into the muscles
Rear delt db raises(chest supported)
2 sets of 35 w 35's

FRIDAY
Coming out of my 6's with 80% today is supposed to be a 5x5 day with 410. My elbows were feeling very sore so I might as well have been doing a 4:1:1 tempo.
I lowered the reps to 4 but kept the rep range the same by doing 2 more sets

Bench Press
135x10
185x8
225x6
275x4
315x2
365x1
410x4x7 sets ( all paused)

SlingShot
465x5
515x2x2sets

Bench Press(paused)
315x10x3sets

DB Bench Press
120's x 12 x3 sets
superset w
Rear delt raises
35's x 35 x 3 sets

Triceps using bands 3 sets of 40's seconds each arm

SATURDAY

Front Squat
145x3
235x2
325x1
Back Squat
415x1
465x1
505x1
555x1
add belt...
595x1 ( i was hoping to just do one set of 7-10 reps i could feel my oblique on the way up so I stopped)
Drop weight...keep a Spud belt on.
405 x 5 (4:1:1 tempo) x 8 sets

Chest supported DB rows on an incline
90's x 20 x 3 sets

Jay Nera
01-12-14, 12:36 pm
MONDAY

Bench press
135x10
185x8
225x6
275x4
315x2
365x1
405x1
415x2(paused) x 6sets

Slingshot
455x5
500x3x3sets

Bench Press
315x10(paused)x3sets

DB Bench Press
120's x 12 x 3sets
superset w
DB rear delt raises
40's x 35x3 sets

TUESDAY

Incline Bicep Curls
30's x 20 x 6 sets
w
Tricep Band extensions
40 seconds TUT each arm x 6 sets
w
DB lateral raises
40's x 30 x 6 sets

WEDNESDAY

Front Squat
145x3
235x2
325x1
Back Squat
415x1
.....spub belt on...guarding oblique
430x5x9-10 sets(lost count) in 25 minutes...CAT style

Chest supported DB rows
90's x 20 x 4 sets

Zac'BOSS
01-14-14, 4:27 pm
Hi jay,
If you can make one exercice of triceps for bench assistance - you make choice of close grip bench press or bench w/compe grip and slingshot ?

Jay Nera
01-23-14, 12:00 pm
Hi jay,
If you can make one exercice of triceps for bench assistance - you make choice of close grip bench press or bench w/compe grip and slingshot ?

TO be honest, I would do both. I don't currently use close grip because in the past I have found it hard on my shoulders. I have used a slingshot for the last couple of weeks and enjoy it. Although using the heavier weights has likely been a little bit harder on the CNS. I do feel it in my triceps when I am done though…especially after sets using 500+.

Jay Nera
01-23-14, 12:07 pm
FRIDAY

Bench Press

135x10
185x8
225x6
275x4
315x2
365x1
405x1
430x3x7 (all paused)
315x10 x 3 sets

DB Bench press:
120'sx12x3 sets
superset with
Rear delt flies
35's x 35x3 sets

My elbows were sore which caused the heavy paused sets to feel miserable.

SATURDAY

My oblique pain is slowly getting better. Not sure if I will get to deadlift before RUM…but i am sure I will be able to squat heavy soon.

Front Squat
145x3
235x2
325x1
Back Squat
415x2
465x1
505x5x8sets

Chest supported DB rows(with a solid squeeze at the top)
105's x 20, 18, 16, 15, 15

Jay Nera
01-23-14, 12:11 pm
SUNDAY

My oblique is not too beat up or inflammed from the squat session which makes me feel very happy. On Wednesday, I will try squatting some weight in the higher 80% range for reps and hopefully it feels good. On a really bright note, my knee feels great.

I did a lot of foam rolling and went throughout the Agile 8 today.

Jay Nera
01-23-14, 12:14 pm
MONDAY

MONDAY

Bench press
135x10
185x8
225x6
275x4
315x2
365x1
405x1
415x2(paused) x 6sets

315x10(paused)x3sets

DB Bench Press
120's x 12 x 3sets
superset w
DB rear delt raises
40's x 35x3 sets

** I have not been doing as much slingshot work and tricep work because of my elbows. Otherwise I would Definitely be working on them.

TUESDAY

Incline Bicep curls 30's x 20
ss w
Tricep band extensions 40secs each arm
ss w
(went through this 5 times)

Jay Nera
01-23-14, 12:20 pm
WEDNESDAY

Front Squat
145x3
235x2
325x1
Back Squat
415x2
465x1
505x1
555x1
add belt….usually i wait until a mid 600 squat, but guarding oblique
595x1 (felt good..no pain :) )
645 x 4 x 3 sets
**I was very tentative on these and not squatting aggressively…I am very happy with today…on Saturday I will try squatting some weight in the 95%+ range to see how real heavy weight feels...

Jay Nera
01-23-14, 12:25 pm
FRIDAY

Bench Press
135x10
185x8
225x6
275x4
315x2
365x1
405x1
430x1
455x2,2,2,1,1,1,1 paused
405x4x3sets (paused)

DB Bench Press 120's x 16, 15, 15, 13 **These are a lot easier after not doing high rep bp right before

Rear Delts 35's x 35 x 4 sets

A bit of a disappointing day. I wanted to get at least one set of 455x3 paused in. I did double with it a year ago, so I don't feel as though I have made much progress in the BP. My elbows are in a fair amount of pain still which really throws of my descent and sometimes causes me to lose tension so hopefully if the pain goes away this adds some lbs to my bench…otherwise my bench hasn't changed…which would be very disappointing. Next week I will try a heavier single. A year ago preparing for RUM I smoked a paused 475 and then got 485 about an inch from lockout…hopefully I can do at least that again.

Jay Nera
01-23-14, 12:36 pm
SATURDAY

Front Squats
145x3
235x2
325x1
Back Squats
415x2
465x1
505x1
555x1
595x1…felt good without belt
(add belt)
645x1
685 x 2 x 3 sets
Call it a day

My best double in the pat is 700x2 with a very sore knee. On that day I could have done a third rep with 700 for sure. These 685 reps were not as strong as that. BUt it did feel very good to get some heavy sets in. As a training session of heavy doubles…doing multiple doubles with 685 would objectively speaking, be a PR training session…so I am happy with it….

Altered Beast
01-23-14, 1:21 pm
A 700 Front Squat is INSANE! You'll kill it at RUM!

Theonidus
01-23-14, 2:01 pm
A 700 Front Squat is INSANE! You'll kill it at RUM!

Spoiler alert: he didn't front squat 700.
At least not yet.

Altered Beast
01-23-14, 2:54 pm
At least not yet.

Oops! All I saw was Front Squat and didn't see Squat a few lines underneath.

Jay Nera
01-26-14, 11:44 am
At least not yet.

Although I don't like to place limits on myself I don't see a 700 lb squat in my future..haha…unless I gain a little bit(30 lbs) of weight directly in my quads. 625 or so would be damn cool.

Jay Nera
01-26-14, 11:46 am
MONDAY

Bench press
135x10
185x8
225x6
275x4
315x2
365x1
405x2
415x2(paused) x 6sets

315x10(paused)x3sets

DB Bench Press
120's x 12 x 3sets
superset w
DB rear delt raises
40's x 35x3 sets

** I have not been doing as much slingshot work and tricep work because of my elbows. Otherwise I would Definitely be working on them.

TUESDAY

ss w
ss w
(went through this 5 times)

Jay Nera
01-26-14, 11:58 am
WEDNESDAY

My body is feeling pretty good. Knee has zero pain whatsoever from Saturdays doubles at 685..this is huge for me.

Front Squats
145x4
235x2
325x1
Back Squat
415x1
465x1
505x1
555x1
595x1
(add belt)
645x1
665x2…..
My goal today was to do 2-3 sets of 4 reps at 665. Warming up my groin felt a little bit tight, one of my adductors at the bottom of the squat felt a little off as the weights started getting heavier. 665 felt really good for the first two(I think I can do about 5-6 reps w this), but I decided to stop after second rep thinking about being smart…..

20 minutes later…. adductor strain…lol… this meet prep has become comical. Should be fine by competition day…but at this point..one kind of just has to sit back and laugh.

I am annoyed because i train my massage therapist and she mentioned that she had noticed my adductors were tight last Sunday(day after squatting 685 for multiple doubles) but she didn't massage them because she felt i might get uncomfortable…. well, sitting on the toilet is uncomfortable now…i would have opted for not having tight adductors instead.

******** In the past little while I have become lazy with my warm up. I have been doing the foam rolling portion of the agile 8 but not the drills…the sit up to V would have stretched out my adductors a bit and if done multiple times a week, this minor injury could be avoided… its what I get for getting lazy on my warm ups… Im old…i need to warm up properly.

Jay Nera
01-26-14, 12:03 pm
THURSDAY
OFF

FRIDAY

Work up to a heavy single and then down work.

Bench Press(all reps paused)
135x10
185x8
225x6
275x4
315x2
365x1
405x1
430x1
455x1
475x1
405x4x4

DB Bench Press
120's x 12x3 sets
ss w
DB rear delt raises
35's x 30 x 3 sets

Skull crushers
155x15,12,12

***@ a paused 475, I have tied my previous PR. Next week I am going to attempt a 485-490.

Zac'BOSS
01-26-14, 1:02 pm
Yo jay,
I think that you make a vids of your bench press it would be really interesting ! I have not never see of vids of your bench press training et i am curious of see it. If a day you be okay for make a video on your bench training, i would be really happy of see it !!

Jay Nera
01-26-14, 5:33 pm
Yo jay,
I think that you make a vids of your bench press it would be really interesting ! I have not never see of vids of your bench press training et i am curious of see it. If a day you be okay for make a video on your bench training, i would be really happy of see it !!

It's funny you saying that. I recorded my last Friday session. So you can see that even though the weight I move around in the bench press are not very impressive(that is why I don't usually put vids of my benching up). It'll be up eventually.

Pale Rider
01-28-14, 2:44 pm
475 was easy jay 490 this friday!!

Universal Rep
01-28-14, 2:47 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjoVKA689U

Altered Beast
01-28-14, 4:09 pm
NICE! I forgot you Pull like KK does! Wicked.

Jay you are a fellow nutcase and it's AWESOME!

Is Nera, Greek?

Jay Nera
01-28-14, 11:22 pm
NICE! I forgot you Pull like KK does! Wicked.

Jay you are a fellow nutcase and it's AWESOME!

Is Nera, Greek?

Haha.
Yeah, I modeled my DL after the fins. It's slightly different than KK's ( i try to use my quads more than he does) but I definitely used a lot of his vids to make sense of it all.

My family traced the roots on the name Nera. It went back to two places, Russia and Italy. I am neither russian nor italian. My father is filipino. My mother is irish and metis.

Jay Nera
01-28-14, 11:23 pm
475 was easy jay 490 this friday!!

You're right. 490 is getting crushed this friday….

Jay Nera
01-28-14, 11:35 pm
(I just realized that I titled the dates wrong on the last few posts. I apologize for any confusion. The last Friday bench was on the 24th of Jan.)

SATURDAY

Not a lot to say for today. I was hoping to hit 705 for a handful of doubles or one set of 3-4 reps but since it would not be wise to squat heavy as a result of this stupid groin, and the likelihood that my oblique is not fully healed, ….no squatting.

I went to a globe gym today and pumped some blood into my legs using machines. For anyone who knows me, this is not me…its even comical for me to write about right now.

I did 8 sets of quad extensions at a 4:1:1 tempo. I started with moderate weights and increased a little bit each sets.
Every two sets I did a set of hamstring curls. Normally i would have done a 1:1 ratio of quads to hammies but i remember back in the day how my hamstrings when not trained a lot would feel destroyed…and the purpose is not to destroy today. (also, i prefer to hit my hamstrings as a hip extensor as opposed to a knee flexor…but i can do that because of my adductor magnus which gets hit with hip extension)….

**I don't know if my legs have ever felt so veiny and jacked as they felt after this…there is definitely something to be said about it… I am curious about incorporating more bodybuilding into the offseason.

Then I did 9 working sets (3 working sets of 3 different exercises) on the back in various rowing exercises. I just hit 3 different grips..pronated, neutral, and supinated and different machines.

Jay Nera
01-28-14, 11:38 pm
MONDAY

Bench press
135x10
185x8
225x6
275x4
315x2
365x1
405x2
415x2(paused) x 6sets

315x5(4:1:1 tempo) x 5 sets

DB Bench Press
120's x 12 x 3sets
superset w
DB rear delt raises
40's x 35x3 sets

TUESDAY

ss w
ss w
DB lateral raises 40's x 30
(went through this 4 times)

Universal Rep
01-31-14, 3:47 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGvj8AJgvs4

Pale Rider
01-31-14, 3:55 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGvj8AJgvs4

Nice video this was a good squat session for me a jay

Altered Beast
02-03-14, 10:37 am
Nothing wrong with throwing in some BB type movements in your training. The structure of the muscle and the joints themselves can be built up with the proper movements.

AWARD
02-07-14, 6:48 pm
All the best at RUM dude!

Shukin
02-11-14, 9:43 am
こんいちは、
Sir, it was an honor to watch you lift this weekend, your intensity during warmups was incredible, your focus was almost scary. Thank you for taking the time to talk with me. I will have video up soon.

If she needs someone to talk with about reentry culture shock feel free to hit me up.

Look forward to our next meeting.

Much Respect,
Shukin

Jay Nera
02-20-14, 11:52 pm
こんいちは、
Sir, it was an honor to watch you lift this weekend, your intensity during warmups was incredible, your focus was almost scary. Thank you for taking the time to talk with me. I will have video up soon.

If she needs someone to talk with about reentry culture shock feel free to hit me up.

Look forward to our next meeting.

Much Respect,
Shukin

Thanks man. It was great meeting you and putting a face to the name. I'll be seeing you at the CAGE!!

Jay Nera
02-21-14, 12:11 am
There isn't really much to say. If you've followed my training log thus far then you know I had a not so great training cycle.

SQUAT I went into the squats not sure if i'd be able to squat. Warm ups was not just warming up…it was testing to see how my groin felt and if I should go on. I opened somewhat heavy because I wasn't sure how many sweats I would have in me. I opened with 705 because I wasn't going to squat anything less than 700 out of principle(i squat that without going over 60% for months). I took a second attempt of 722 which felt very good. I fell out of position on the way up and it was slower that I had hoped…but I never felt like I might not stand up. I really wanted to hit 335kg(738)… after 722 I knew that if I didn't descent a little more aggressively than i did with 722 then it wouldn't go up…I stepped up to the bar, got myself a little amped…and tried to descend like an animal…didn't stand up. Disappointing yes, but again, what can I really expect with such a poor training cycle. I know that when I can come back after having a healthy squat cycle I will squat AT LEAST 750….but i have to figure this shit out.

BENCH. The rest before the deadlift. In training, I hit a paused 475 and then one week out a paused 480(ass lifted off bench a little) so I was hoping to hit anything in the 470's range. I was able to hit 457 and then I failed 468. At this level anything less than 484 (220kg) is imo not acceptable if one wants to challenge all-time records…especially now that the 220 all-time record is even greater than the 242 all time record….thanks Dan. BP is a lift I am going to have to spend a lot of time with… I need to get much larger and build my triceps.

DEADLIFT. This has been a miserable lift for me. Also, went into this one unsure if i'd be able to pull because of my oblique. The last time I deadlifted going into this meet was a 700 triple on December 18th. I can always pull over 700, but my gym PR is 775, so I would have liked to have hit at least a 760-771. I also wasn't sure how my forearm would hold up because of issues i had dealt with prior…. what a shit show. anyway, I opened with 727(because i wasn't sure how pulls i'd have in me, otherwise I'd have opened with 705) and got it but it was not as easy as i had hoped…and then 750 wouldn't fly for me…no dice… again…disappointing. BUt with how training went and not being able to train this lift…i can't be too upset or down on myself.

I totaled 1906 and wilks'ed 529.something.
Am I happy with this? No.
Am I miserable about it? No.
I am content and understand that I NEED to put a healthy total together.

From another perspective, the total that won the mono lift knee wrap day was 1906. 1906 won the 220 class and the middleweight superclass…so had I competed on that day I'd have 1000 bucks in my pocket and a couple gold medals.

……. but really….that's not what its about… ITS ABOUT GETTING STRONGER AND BEING ABLE TO EXPRESS THAT STRENGTH WHEN IT COUNTS…..

ibnmahama
02-21-14, 1:27 am
road to a healthy total now!!

Jay Nera
02-24-14, 1:26 am
Thursday Feb 20th

I did my first deadlift workout since December 18th 2013 where I strained my oblique. I did pull at RUM and the pain didn't get any worse so I was very happy with that…but I also only got 727 (93.8% of my arm) at that competition. So I am not really sure how my deadlift is sitting.

I wanted to practice some leg drive and getting the bar off the floor so I used 2 mats

off 2 mats:
135x3
225x3
315x3
405x2
495x1
585x1
(add belt)
635x1
675x1

Floor:
605x5x6sets

Chest supported DB rows: 105's x 16 x 4 sets

Not really sure how the deadlift will feel at the Cage. Its gonna be fun though.

Jay Nera
02-26-14, 12:54 am
FRIDAY

Bench Press(all paused)
135x10
185x8
225x6
275x4
315x2
365x1
405x 4 x 2 sets

CAT Bench 25 mins
315x5(stop on chest)x 10 sets

Incline DB Press
105s x 12 x 4 sets
superset with
Rear Delt DB raises
45's x 35 x 4 sets

SATURDAY

CAT Session 25 mins
465x5x8 sets

Chest Supported DB rows
105's x17x4 sets

Jay Nera
02-26-14, 1:06 am
MONDAY- NOON

My legs are not used to squatting right now. It's kind of funny. They just hurt…but the pain is such a good feeling in that twisted way…you know what I mean.

Bench Press- ( i felt like going to heavy single…but my training partner decided to sleep in… so no lift off or spot and lift offs irritate my pec minor…so…..im unhappy with Kade and I will lock him in the basement with weights and steaks as punishment)
(paused)
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x3
315x2
365x1
405x1
455x1 - this felt pretty good, it moved very well but my ass came up off the best bc I went too aggressive for leg drive. If i had a lift off i would have gone for 485 to hit a PR…but i didn't…sooooooo
405 x 3 x 5 sets (just focusing on clean crisp reps)

CAT Bench 25 mins (ring finger on rings)
315 x 5 x 10 sets

Incline DB Bench Press
105's x 12 x 2 sets
Superset with
DB rear delt raises
45s x 35 x 3 sets

MONDAY- EVENING…..I stuck around to give Kade Handoffs…because I am a good training partner.

Fooled around with sumo deadlifts

135x2
225x1
315x1
405x1
495x1
585x1
675x1
765x- I almost forgot that I was just getting over a groin injury which had me squatting tentatively at RUM…. This attempt reminded me of the fact….idiot… lucky I didn't hurt myself seriously…just a little sore.

*** I am going to be playing around with this for the next little while. My best deadlift conventional is 775….whith the way that 675 went up…I am confident that if I play with technique and learn a little I will be blasting into the 800's…. Im pretty positive i would have pulled it had m groin not been an issue…. never moved 675 so easily and casually before.

TUESDAY

Light front squats not going down all of the way because my groin was irritated… just midrange reps(neither down nor up all of the way…just maintaining tension and building a pump)

225x15x3sets

Chest Supports DB Rows
110's x 15 x 4 sets

Jay Nera
02-27-14, 12:45 am
WEDNESDAY

Standing Strict PRess
barx10
135x8
185x5
225x8x4 sets (paused at lockout and at shoulders)

DB INcline Bench Press
110's x 15 x 4 sets
superset with
Chest supported DB Raises (rear delts)
35's x 35 x 4 sets

External rotation with bands .. "no money" x 25 reps x 3 sets

YTWL1's x 15 each position x 2

DB Lateral Raises
45's x 25 x 3 sets

Jay Nera
02-27-14, 12:52 am
THURSDAY

It's still late and I'm packing for the weekend at the Arnold's. I'm pretty excited to see some of my buddies again and hang out in the Cage.
I'm looking forward to lifting with Kade. Kade and I are going to be deadlifting 700 for reps. Kade's best deadlift is 75 lbs stronger than mine and he is also much better at reps than I am. So we will be doing a double or nothing deadlift off. If I can get 5 reps he has to do double (10)…if I can do 6, he has to do 12.. It should be fun. We will see how my oblique holds up under strain…I am contemplating pulling sumo because I can get my chest up more which will take strain off of my oblique….but then I risk reinsuring the groin injury I am just recovering from ….. decisions decisions….either way…should be a fun time…

I am a little disappointed that Sam Byrd won't be lifting in the Cage this year…for as long as I have been a powerlifter I have looked forward to seeing what he would do in the Cage.

If Dan Green can pull 900 I will lose my mind….but the Green Machine has proven himself many times over as this generations top dog… so I am confident he will bring it.

There's a solid cast coming to the Cage…It's going to be a good weekend.

Anyone who follows this training blog of mine and will be at the Arnold's please make sure you stop by and introduce yourself…

freighttraindane
02-27-14, 9:39 am
THURSDAY

It's still late and I'm packing for the weekend at the Arnold's. I'm pretty excited to see some of my buddies again and hang out in the Cage.
I'm looking forward to lifting with Kade. Kade and I are going to be deadlifting 700 for reps. Kade's best deadlift is 75 lbs stronger than mine and he is also much better at reps than I am. So we will be doing a double or nothing deadlift off. If I can get 5 reps he has to do double (10)…if I can do 6, he has to do 12.. It should be fun. We will see how my oblique holds up under strain…I am contemplating pulling sumo because I can get my chest up more which will take strain off of my oblique….but then I risk reinsuring the groin injury I am just recovering from ….. decisions decisions….either way…should be a fun time…

I am a little disappointed that Sam Byrd won't be lifting in the Cage this year…for as long as I have been a powerlifter I have looked forward to seeing what he would do in the Cage.

If Dan Green can pull 900 I will lose my mind….but the Green Machine has proven himself many times over as this generations top dog… so I am confident he will bring it.

There's a solid cast coming to the Cage…It's going to be a good weekend.

Anyone who follows this training blog of mine and will be at the Arnold's please make sure you stop by and introduce yourself…

That is going to be an insane showdown between you and Kade. Look forward to meeting you Jay

Nix0r
03-03-14, 6:27 pm
Hey Jay,

Thanks again for showing me all of that great shoulder work at the ABC on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to incorporating it into my training and overcoming this nagging shoulder problem.

Theonidus
03-04-14, 11:23 am
Like Nix0r said, thank you immensely for showing us how to train shoulders so as to build them up rather than constantly tear them down.
I'll start posting videos in my thread as I can find some poor soul to film me doing things. I'll post them in my "Journey" thread and the link for it is in my signature.

ibnmahama
03-04-14, 10:24 pm
how was you and Kade's workout on Monday(03/03/2014)?

Jay Nera
03-11-14, 1:07 am
Hey Jay,

Thanks again for showing me all of that great shoulder work at the ABC on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to incorporating it into my training and overcoming this nagging shoulder problem.

Keep me posted on how it goes. Those will also get your shoulders looking more jacked!! Can get nice shoulders without working on the rear delta.

Jay Nera
03-11-14, 1:10 am
how was you and Kade's workout on Monday(03/03/2014)?

It was awful….

Front Squats
405x5x5
w
Quad Extensions 15-20 reps under a 6-1-1 tempo with a squeeze at the top of ever rep….. my quads were blasted.

Then we did a ton back work…
Cable rows(neutral grip), chest supported rows(pronated), and lat pull downs supinated…….

felt jacked… brain was flying from being cooped in a cage all weekend and two scoops of Animal Rage.lol Mangoooooooo!

Jay Nera
03-11-14, 1:11 am
Like Nix0r said, thank you immensely for showing us how to train shoulders so as to build them up rather than constantly tear them down.
I'll start posting videos in my thread as I can find some poor soul to film me doing things. I'll post them in my "Journey" thread and the link for it is in my signature.

Still waiting for you to message me and show me some vids… ttys.

Jay Nera
03-11-14, 1:28 am
Memorable moments:

***Jesse Norris deadlifting 800 was intense…although he was calm as a hindu cow.

***Dan Green SMOKED 865lbs in the DL…..I thought he was going to get 905 for sure…in front of Coan.

***Ed Coan was hanging out…got to meet him…he knew who Kade and I were…i thought this was really cool.

***MalanPower easily deadlifted 815…

***G benched 500x3! Big PR for him.

***Spotting Hoornstra was nuts because he moves 600 pounds like Kade moves 400…

***Larsen is an awesome bencher…and inspiration.

***Lots of crazy squatting for reps went on…Seath, Higa, Wonger….Tee had a nice squat too, didn't get to see Hayes' squat.

***Kade and I got to hit up our 2 for deadlift off…..and somehow that young buck beat me…I do not like this. As you know from this training blog I haven't exactly been deadlift training due to injuries…so to hit 700 for 5 reps was awesome…and in no way would anyone call that weak…but Kade's 700x11 is astounding. REally happy for him. What a young stud!!

Kade and I had some fun with this. My best DL was 715x4 and Kade had hit 700x10. I noted that he can do 700 for twice as many reps as me and commented how ridiculous it was. So when it came to setting up for the Cage, Animal said that they had enough squatters. I wanted to attempt to beat PLatz's 500 for reps…and I wanted to do it in just a belt. Even if I were to fall short and hit 500 18-20…that would still be nuts…maybe next year. Anyway, I suck at benching(anything under 500 is imo unsatisfactory unless you're a lightweight), so I thought we would deadlift. Originally, I would want to deadlift 800 in the CAGE….to see if I could get amped up to hit the number that has eluded me for so long…hoping see if the atmosphere in the Cage could take me higher…BUT…without really training it…I'd hate to fail in the cage…and Kade didn't want to pull heavy either…so we thought the DOUBLE OR NOTHING DEADLIFT OFF would be fun, funny, and my ego was strong enough to take the challenge.

***I had a lot of fun, during the grind on my 5th rep, I thought to myself, "My back is cooked!! But my legs feel fine." And knowing that Kade had done 10 before I needed an extra rep to hold him off…so I slid my feet out into SUMO position and attempted to pull using less back and more hips and quads…lol… "transformer"... I failed. I will forever regret failing that rep simply because it would have been epic…and I hate the word epic..but it would have been.

***Watching Kade pull 700x11…BANANAS!

Jay Nera
03-26-14, 12:29 am
Thursday

I've decided to start playing around with a sumo deadlift a little bit. To actually give a shot and try to figure it out before I dismiss it. I have strong legs, the sumo requires strong legs…my lower back is what fails/takes the biggest beat when i deadlift because I have a longer torso…so why not give a try.
The first time i ever deadlifted 700 lbs was the first time I ever tried sumo. It was the week following a meet where I had deadlifted 694 on a 3rd after failing it on a second. I just felt like trying sumo and all i was going off of was a video of Belyaev deadlifting. I hit 700 and couldn't believe it… I attempted it for a second try at got it again. I even went for a second rep but failed. The thing is…my knees and hips hurt for days after…so I never did it again…

But I have decided to give it a fair go…

Sumo:
135x5
225x5
315x3
405x2
495x1
585x1
add belt
635 x1
675x1
725x1
765x fail

515x5x8 sets (trying to find what feels nice)

**I find it nuts how my back doesn't really feel much pulling like this…I can definitely see how deadlifting like this and squatting will compliment each other in training.

Jay Nera
03-26-14, 12:32 am
FRIDAY

Bench Press

135x10
185x8
225x6
275x5
315x5
365x2
405x4x4sets paused
315x5x10 sets in 25 mins (CAT)

DB bench press
120's x 12 x 4 sets
superset with
rear delt flys
40's x 35 reps

Later in evening

4 rounds of:
seated incline curls using 30lb DB's x 25
band tricep pull downs x 40'secs of TUT
DB lateral raises 50's x 20

Jay Nera
03-26-14, 12:39 am
SATURDAY

Kade and I are going to start competing in knee wraps as well. So we decided o start seeing how it feels.

Front Squats
145x5
235x3
325x2
Back Squats
415x2
465x1
505x1
545x1
add belt and knee wraps
595x1 (man this feels awful. my sense of depth is completely different)
645x1 (went down very slow, stood up easy…..but it hurt my knees a lot so I stopped)
*** I think I need to find the right type of wraps for me. The ones I used were like casts, had very little spring, and just felt awful on the descent…wraps meant for stopping power and wide squatters…..
405x5x5

Chest supported DB rows
110's x 17x4 sets

***my left legs has somekidn of nerve issue if I wrap it while the legs is straight. It feels like a tearing/burning sensation from behind my knee down my calf just above my ankle…anyone reading this with tips????

Jay Nera
03-26-14, 12:43 am
MONDAY

My shoulder was feeling a little bit off today. I think I simply slept funny. I'm going to give my elbows a break from the heavy benching and also over load my upper pecs with some incline for the next couple weeks…it'll keep things simple and my workouts very fast.

Basically just doing German Volume training …

Incline DB Press
105x12x10 sets
superset with
Chest supported rear delt raises
35's x 35
superset with
"no money" external rotation drill using band (20-25 reps each time.

Felt pretty pumped from this quick and easy session.

Jay Nera
03-26-14, 12:47 am
TUESDAY

JUst feeling out the front squats because I haven't been doing them in a while. I was short on time today. So I did some light quick squats and then hit some upper body in the evening.

Front Squats

135x5
225x5
315x5
405x5
315x10x2sets

LATER in the evening

Chest Supported DB Rows
110's x 17-20reps x 6 sets

Jay Nera
03-26-14, 12:51 am
WEDNESDAY Happy Birthday Mom!! (not that she reads this…but just in case)

I am just building off of the incline pressing that I start on Monday. I will add reps, sets, or weights and I will do this for 2 -3 weeks.

Incline DB Press
105x12x12 sets (last two sets I needed a spot on last couple reps)
superset with
Chest supported rear delt raises
35's x 35
superset with
"no money" external rotation drill using band (20-25 reps each time.

Later in the evening

5 rounds of:
seated incline curls using 35lb DB's x 15-20reps
band tricep pull downs x 40'secs of TUT
DB lateral raises 50's x 20

Jay Nera
03-26-14, 12:52 am
THURSDAY

Back to practicing the SUMO deadlift

Sumo (weights off of 4 mats):
135x5
225x5
315x3
405x2
495x1
585x1
add belt
635 x1
675x1
725x1
765x1 (AWFUL…very slow grind, just felt terrible)

Drop to floor
405x2
495x1
add belt
585x1
635x3 good, adductors starting to feel taxed

Standing off of 2 mats and pulling conventional
585x3
605x3
625x3
add belt
675x1
605x5x2 sets

Chest supported DB rows
110's x 4 sets of 15-20 reps each set

shortstack
03-26-14, 9:27 am
Ton of volume!! I like reading your training days for some good motivation.

Since I'm not training for a specific meet I've been a little off on doing anything productive but reading that DL day was a nick kick in the ass to get back to puling some weight.

Thanks Jay

DoubleTapJak
03-27-14, 12:06 pm
What kind of core training do you do in an average week, Jay?

Theonidus
03-27-14, 12:09 pm

Hollow rocks. Which we didn't force him to show us how to do.

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 12:19 am
Ton of volume!! I like reading your training days for some good motivation.

Since I'm not training for a specific meet I've been a little off on doing anything productive but reading that DL day was a nick kick in the ass to get back to puling some weight.

Thanks Jay

Awesome.
It was a fun day indeed…. except not being efficient at sumo yet…it did take its toll on my hips..I was really sore.

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 12:21 am

As Theonidas stated, I do a few sets of hollow rocks here and there. I don't even write them on my blog all of the time because sometimes i'll just do them outside of a training session when I feel i need to tighten up (i like the feeling of sore muscles so if my abs aren't a little sore i like to make em).

Theo- I thought I showed you guys during the military pressing ?

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 12:29 am
FRIDAY

Still just progressively building up on the DB incline.
It's a nice break on my shoulders, the sessions are fast, I'm liking the pump, and it's completely different than any contest prep and stress free…..

Decided to grab heavier dumbbells instead of doing more reps.

1pm
Incline DB press
120's x 10 x 10 sets ( last two sets were 9, 8 reps)
superset w
Chest supported rear delt raises with 40lb db's x 30 (4 second eccentric…this lit my delts)

LATER ….730pm

3 rounds
Incline DB curls 20's x 30
Band tricep pressdowns x 40secs
YTWL1's 15 each movement

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 12:34 am
SATURDAY

Front Squats
135x5
225x5
315x5
405x5x5sets

Back Squats
405x5x5 CAT took around 20 mins ( 5 sets would usually take anywhere from 12 -14 minutes but i needed to extra rest to make sure they were moving very well)

Chest Supported DB Rows
110's x 15-20 x 5 sets

Not a bad day.

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 12:39 am
MONDAY

Back to German volume-esque easy day.

1 pm
Incline DB press
120's x 10 x 12 sets (sets 9 and 10 were same reps as last friday, so I decided to do two extra sets to get more in, 8 and 8)
superset with
rear delt raises
50's x 25 x12 sets

730pm

4 rounds of
incline db curls
25's x 12-15 reps (4:1:1 tempo)
band tricep pressdowns 40's of TUT
lateral raises
55's x 15

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 12:42 am
TUESDAY

Front Squats
135x5
225x3
315x2
405x1
adde belt
455x1
495x1

Back Squat
455 x 5 x 8 sets in 25 mins CAT

** This is what I normally used for CAT all last year as a maintenance weight. It was moving much slower than it should have been. I am going to be doing CAT at least once a week until I can move this weight very well. When it moves well, I feel healthy.

Chest Supported DB rows
120's x 15 x 4 sets

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 12:47 am
WEDNESDAY

Still playing off the german volume theme

Incline DB press
120's x 11 x 10 sets ( funny, even when I did 11 reps, it was still sets 9 and 10 where I failed to get goal, and reps were the same 9 and 8 respectively…technically this is progress. haha)
superset with
Rear delts
40's x 30-40 reps ( ** it looks as though I am always grabbing a different weight, the weight isn't as important, as long as I can build tension and feel my rear felt working I am happy, and just do the reps until my delta feel fatigued, the lighter the weight the slower my eccentric

No pm arms today.

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 12:55 am
THURSDAY

* my legs were feeling very sore still from the last two squat days. I need to eat more…..my quads don't normally feel this blasted..

Conventional Deadlifts 2 mats deficit
155x5
245x3
335x2
425x1
515x1
605x1
add belt
655x1
700x1(slowwwwwww, zero drive off of the floor)

Sumo deadlift (floor)
425x3 x 3 sets (just didn't feel like removing all of the weights, and working on technique before adding weight so did extra sets)
515x2
605x1
655x1
700x1 (felt awful…i mean AWFUL)

Conventional (floor)
605x6 x 2 sets

later in the evening

Chest supported DB Rows
120's x 15-17 x 4 sets

*****My hips were really effed up a couple hours after deadlifting. My adductors are not strong enough yet and I am not recruiting my glutes well enough just yet. My hips are so sore that standing up straight is labourous….. not cool. Makes me question sumo pulling.

Next week I will avoid sumo to give my hips a break.

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 1:00 am
FRIDAY

***my hips are destroyed!!! I have to practice some light sumo for a while and try to understand the technique much better...

More GV style

Incline DB press
120's x 12 x10 sets ( fell apart here, sets 7,8,9, and 10 were 9, 8, 8, 6)
superset with
rear delts w 35lb db's x 35-40 reps

Later in the pm

5 rounds of

Incline db curls
25's x 20
Tricep pressdowns(band) x 40 seconds TUT

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 1:03 am
SATURDAY

Hips are still sore but I warmed up a LOT and adductors didn't feel too bad. Figured as long as I stayed away from the heavy weights I'd be fine.

Front Squats
135x5
225x5
315x5
405x6x6sets

Back Squats (belt on, lower back got lit during front squats, not recovered from Thursday)
405x12x2 sets

**roll around on ground from annoying back pump

Chest Supported DB Rows
120's x15-17 reps x 5 sets

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 1:06 am
MONDAY

Incline DB press
120's x 11x11 ( got all but sets 10 and 11. 9 and 9)
superset with
no money band pull a parts x 20 each set

PM
Tricep Pressdowns

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 1:09 am
I forgot to say that Kade and I have been going to a globe gym on Sundays to use some machines. Working on the chest supported rowing. I did 4 working sets each on 3 different machines… all with a controlled tempo and squeeze at the back….nothing heavy…literally just chasing a pump

Long warm up

Front Squat
135x5
225x5
315x5
Back Squat
405x2
455x5x8 sets in 25 mins CAT

**As the sets moved on they started to feel nicer and nicer. The final sets were the fastest. :) slow engine

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 1:12 am
WEDNESDAY

DB Incline press
120's x 12 x 11 sets ( last 2 sets8 and 8…thought i had my ten sets and then failed…so i did an extra)
superset with no money band pull a parts x 20

* today I really noticed a big difference and felt a lot stronger with this….cool. haha

looking forward to deadliftng tomorrow

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 1:18 am
THURSDAY…aka Day of the Deads

The woman who teaches my morning classes severely injured herself this week. I really hope she recovers from this and holds strong. Her achilles….i'd wish this on no one. She'll be okay and come back healthy and strong…
…but..now I have to wake up at 5 to do the morning classes and then come back to train deadlifts… very tired today

Conventional Deads

155x5
245x3
335x1
425x1
515x1
605x1 (felt slow and weak off of the floor)
add belt
655x1
700x1 (this was slow but i still wanted to go up)
745x fail….no dice
605x6 x4 sets (this was extremely fatiguing….not a good training day)

later in the PM

chest supported rows
120's 15 x 5 sets (struggled for these reps…feeling weak.)

Theonidus
03-28-14, 9:47 am
Theo- I thought I showed you guys during the military pressing ?

Sadly, no. We talked about the advantages of doing Military Presses seated and standing. You preferred to do them standing because you could get into the "hollow" position. You briefly touched on what it was but we never found the time (or floor space) to do hollow rocks.

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 10:46 am
Sadly, no. We talked about the advantages of doing Military Presses seated and standing. You preferred to do them standing because you could get into the "hollow" position. You briefly touched on what it was but we never found the time (or floor space) to do hollow rocks.

That's right. I'll have see if there are any good videos out there on it for you..it's a big deal IMO.

Theonidus
03-28-14, 11:06 am
That's right. I'll have see if there are any good videos out there on it for you..it's a big deal IMO.

I found two pretty decent videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxMtbEQFpnw
http://gymnasticswod.com/content/hollow-rock

I'll play around with trying to get the form down this evening.

DoubleTapJak
03-28-14, 11:30 am

Same. I've been looking for a good go-to exercise to hit a couple of times a week.

Altered Beast
03-28-14, 11:42 am
Hollow Rocks seems like reverse planking in a way! Could be killer!

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 10:53 pm

hey Theo, yeah. these videos show what it is but they don't really explain it well…and they don't have any progressions, because it is likely that anyone who just tries this for the first time will do it wrong. ill look some more.

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 10:58 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyrUmzIHmzw part 1- focus on pushing the lower back into the floor and pushing your ribs down……think Bruce Lee when he's stretching his arms out and flexing his abs..lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6hltfjyzg part 2 _NO BREAKING IN THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE CHEST AND NAVEL…stays closed up….its a hard contraction..

Jay Nera
03-31-14, 12:14 am
FRIDAY

Still doing to reps and such in the german volume style.

I tried warming up the bench press but my shoulder was feeling off so I decided to stick with the 3 weeks of incline to keep things low stress, quick, and to attack my chest and delts differently.

Incline DB press
120's x 12x6sets, x10x4 sets
superset with chest supported rear felt flys
55's x 20 (4:0:1 tempo)

Felt jacked …

I am trying to eat more before I train. Waking up a little bit earlier so that I can get a full meal in before I train instead of just having liquid carbs and protein… eating actual food….and I feel much better.

Jay Nera
03-31-14, 12:24 am
SATURDAY

My infrequent training partner, Shane Church, came to train with Kade and I today. Shane is one of the top 242 equipped lifters on the planet. I think his squat is numero uno on PLwatch. He hasn't been coming much do to working and having a little man child to look after.
Anyway, since Kade and I know diddly squat about using knee wraps and IRON REBEL just sent us a few to try on. We thought we'd take some OUTLAW knee wraps and RAPTOR knee wraps for a ride.

Front Squat
145x5
235x3
325x2
Back Squat
415x2
465x1
505x1
555x1
(add belt)
595x1(wraps)
645x1(wraps) ***the wraps(RAPTORS) felt awesome on the way up, but terrible on the descent. This is likely due to the fact that I ama pussy and am not used to the pain. They really slow down my descent and I lose all sense of depth. WE ooh videos and my squat looked good, but it felt really high ….AND REALLY EASY. Unfortuantely, my calf muscle on my left leg felt extremely sore after this squat so I decided to play it safe and stop using the wraps for today.
***KADE kept moving up and worked up to a PR 740lbs!! booyah!!
----still more squatting----
(belt)
595x3x5 sets
465x5x5 sets CAT 15 mins

Bulgarian split squats (bodyweight)
3 sets of 25 each leg

Chest supported rows
120's x 15 x 4 sets

I really enjoyed training today. Squatting without knee wraps after wearing knee wraps feels great. Its similar to using a voodoo band when you think about it. Straight flossing on my knee.

EAT.

Jay Nera
03-31-14, 12:32 am
SUNDAY

We've been hitting up the machines on Sundays. Just basically reaping out 4 working sets on 4 different machines and not really paying attention to exact reps and weights. Honestly just chasing a pump…except for the cable rows..

Cable rows
300x20
drop to 180 x10-15 very strict with paused contraction
x 4 sets

Lat pull down
4 sets of 10-15 reps

Chest supported row(supinated)
4 sets of 10-15 reps

Chest supported row(pronated)
4 sets of 10-15 reps

Standing EZ bar curls
100x15-25 reps x 3 sets

I like these workouts because we do them with short rests and your feel a nice pump and no sets(other than the cable rows) build anxiety as a heavy set of reads or squats would do for me….i find these workouts refreshing… maybe I need to step these workouts up a notch to put on some size. lol

G Diesel
03-31-14, 10:18 am
I dig the "globo gym pumping workouts" here and there too. Using some machines and getting the blood flowing is a great way to break up the countless days of low weights and heavy iron.

Good shit bruh.

Peace, G

NorthStrong
04-01-14, 12:29 am
What's up Jay? Just checkin in here, subscribed to the log! Great work man.

JTNT
04-01-14, 3:23 pm

Northstrong #forever lurking

Jay Nera
04-06-14, 9:49 pm
I dig the "globo gym pumping workouts" here and there too. Using some machines and getting the blood flowing is a great way to break up the countless days of low weights and heavy iron.

Good shit bruh.

Peace, G

Its not bad…from training in my own personal dungeon(which i love) to hitting up a globe gym there are many ups and downs…for example, by myself, i get to set my own atmosphere, intensity, pace etc… but in a globe gym..there are many many distractions. But definitely a good change up for sure.

side note: I just browsed through 'Diary of a Madman" and randomly got to entry 101…i really liked it. Something I have always thought but about the approach. Its an art. Solid writing skills…i'm jealous.

Jay Nera
04-06-14, 9:50 pm

And where up north is Northstrong from?

NorthStrong
04-06-14, 11:26 pm
And where up north is Northstrong from?

I'm over here on the East Coast in New Brunswick! Winter is almost over here, LOL.

DoubleTapJak
04-10-14, 5:19 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyrUmzIHmzw part 1- focus on pushing the lower back into the floor and pushing your ribs down……think Bruce Lee when he's stretching his arms out and flexing his abs..lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6hltfjyzg part 2 _NO BREAKING IN THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE CHEST AND NAVEL…stays closed up….its a hard contraction..

Thanks for these, definitely going to tighten up my form. One other thing I wanted to get your thoughts on: I've been having a lot of wrist pain the last month or so, mostly in the rotation of them. Bad enough to the point where sometimes it's too painful to rotate them parallel to the floor for straight bar reverse curls or deadlifts. I type a lot at work, but I've been in front of a PC my whole life and never had problems with it before. Know any good wrist stretches for this?

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:05 am
Alright. I've been logging my training in my book but haven't updated on here all month. I have been focusing a lot of my nutrition right now and trying to gain weight without putting on too much fat. So far so good. My morning bodyweight is consistently up to 233-235lbs which is a good shift. So far I am happy with this new plan with Renaissance Periodization.

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:09 am
Today was a complete relaxation day as far as training goes.
I went to a globe gym, put my headphones on, and chased a chest and shoulder pump.

4 sets of:
Shoulder press machinex 15
SS
Front raises 20's x failure (20-25 reps)

4 sets of:
incline press machine x 15
SS
db lateral raises xfailure(15-20 reps)

4 sets of chest press machine x 15
ss
db rear delt raises x approx 25 reps

Chased a pump…got in and out in under an hour

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:10 am
TUESDAY

CAT squats:
5x5 @ 465 in approx 14 mins

Pause squats:
I put the belt on for these bc i had a back pump.
500 x 3 x 3 sets (2 second pause)

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:12 am
WEDNESDAY

I went back to some DB incline pressing bc my shoulder is still feeling a little off for BP.

German volume style still

I miss counted my sets. I did approx 10-12 sets of 11 reps @ 120 on the db incline press superset with rear felt raises.

Band tricep extensions 3 sets to failure

approx 50 mins

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:15 am
THURSDAY

Conventional
155x5
245x3
335x2
425x1
515x1
605x1
belt
655x1
700x1

Sumo
425x1 x 4 sets
515x1 x 4 sets
605x1 x 2
655x1
700x1

Trap bar(high handle)
singles up to 685x3x2 sets

I had a bit of a party today.
Sumo is still feeling awful at anything above 655ish. inner thighs are weak in this movement.

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:18 am
I did a lot of mobilization stuff trying to free up my shoulder.

Ended up doing some handstand work.

Nailed a 40 second handstand(hands stayed still, no walking, not allowed to move, hand balance) which is a PR.

Weighted ring dips: 60kg x 10 x 5 sets

Inverted ring rows: 5 sets of 20-25 reps

**just did this to see if training like this would bother my shoulder

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:21 am
SATURDAY

I haven't been motivated to squat much these days because it seems as though I am waiting for my knee to start to hurt if it feels good….and if it hurts..im waiting for the sets when it 'might' not hurt…. frustrations.

Front squat
145x3
235x2
325x1

Back squat
415x2
465x1
505x1
545x1
595x1
645x1
660x1 Felt nice, no pain. But because I haven't been handling much weight lately nor have I been doing any explosive CAT work. This was much much slower than I would have liked.

Trap Bar DL
sinlges up to 685
and then one set of 685x6

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:24 am
SUNDAY

Hit globe gym up.

3 back exercises…4 sets of 15 each.

Seated Cable rows(tbar, neutral grip)
Supinated machine rows
pronated machine rows

fast and easy pump…
*** I am noticing the extra food making a difference. Feeling bigger when I do these workouts. Noticing a pump. I took animal pump before this (minus the red pill)…had a nasty pump. No i am not just saying that bc its an animal product.

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:27 am
MONDAY

DB Incline Press
120's x 15 x 4 sets
ss with
rear delt lateral raises
35's x 30

Flat DB press
120's x 12 x 4 sets
ss w
lateral raises
50's x 15x4 sets

in case it isn't apparent. Because I can't bench press(shoulder) I am not lifting heavy. Not lifting heavy, try to get a bit of volume in and chase a pump… I am eating a lot and trying to gain size, so its not a bad thing anyway that Im not lifting heavy.

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:29 am
TUESDAY

CAT Squats
6 sets of 5 reps @455 in 15 minutes

rested for 10 mins to let the back pump die down a bit.

Trap Bar deadlfits standing on 1 mat
685x4x3sets
**this was fun.

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:31 am
WEDNESDAY

I wanted to see how a lot of volume on the flat DB press would feel.

I did 8 sets of 15 reps @ 120 lbs
ss with
rear delt pull aparts using a band.

Very slow paced day. But it felt good.

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:33 am
THURSDAY
My shoulder is sore from yesterdays pressing.

SUMO technique practice.

Worked unto 700x1

Conventional Deadlift (off 2 mats)
605x6x3 sets

Chest supported rows: 110's x 15 x 4 sets

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:35 am
FRIDAY

5 rounds of:

DB incline BP: 120's x approx 15
DB flies 55's x 10
rear delt raises(neutral) x 30
rear delt raises pronated x 15
rest

these big sets were fun. THe session was fast. Felt pretty jacked up.

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:39 am
SATURDAY…aka SQUAT DAY

I was feeling very run down tired and sore today. I didn't want to train at all. I thought I would just practice wrapping my knees and squat 405 in it a couple times.

FS
13x5
225x3
315x2

BS
405x1
add wraps
405x1, felt funny, added weight
455x1
495x1
545x1
585x1
635x1
675x1…it was slowI am descending extremely slow. This felt WAY harder than 660 did without wraps on the 5th. I am not sure if its because I am so uncomfortable in the wraps or because I was weak…(i wasn't feeling well)

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 1:40 am
SUNDAY

Chest supported rows 110's x failure (15-20 reps)
superset with
Inverted rows(bench grip) approx 20-25 reps