PDA

View Full Version : big guy personality is it real?

karthik
10-15-13, 1:45 pm
hello everyone, here's a question I have for you all, do some of you find it difficult to fit in with the more stereotypical type of "lifters"? and the term I guess is meatheads, and that's the type of person who has this angry vibe about them, there's only way to do something, and for the most part the type of person to hate on women every chance they get by dropping the b word.

I mean I love powerlifting and training for strongman and all that, its just that I find it difficult to get along with a good number of them outside of the gym, for that reason. I guess you can say I have more of a zydrunas savickas type of personality, and don't really like to curse a lot, especially outside the gym, cause I tend to find that I can't have that type of personality be with me out in the real world.

but I do more than just lifting, I also go walking on trails a lot, kayaking and lot of things outside the gym, and my methods may be unorthodox but they are good for me, and isn't that important also? just thought I would share this with other lifters in this community, and see if some of you have similar experiences regarding this.

Swolepez
10-15-13, 2:56 pm
hello everyone, here's a question I have for you all, do some of you find it difficult to fit in with the more stereotypical type of "lifters"? and the term I guess is meatheads, and that's the type of person who has this angry vibe about them, there's only way to do something, and for the most part the type of person to hate on women every chance they get by dropping the b word.

I mean I love powerlifting and training for strongman and all that, its just that I find it difficult to get along with a good number of them outside of the gym, for that reason. I guess you can say I have more of a zydrunas savickas type of personality, and don't really like to curse a lot, especially outside the gym, cause I tend to find that I can't have that type of personality be with me out in the real world.

but I do more than just lifting, I also go walking on trails a lot, kayaking and lot of things outside the gym, and my methods may be unorthodox but they are good for me, and isn't that important also? just thought I would share this with other lifters in this community, and see if some of you have similar experiences regarding this.

I work and train at a YMCA so it is really family friendly, even thd guys who like to bodybuild and powerlift....but you wouldn't believe how many members come to the Y saying that they just left Gold's Gym bc of disrespectful "meatheads". Even one guy who competes said he hated Golds bc there was no "brotherness" or "community".

Firefist
10-15-13, 3:21 pm
Good post. I definitely think it does it exists. You got them guys walking around mean muggin everyone and their mother... trying to start shit others saying that they are stronger than them, or train harder than them, or whatnot. Like everything else though, you have bad apples in every bunch.

For the most part, most people I've met, or at least associate with in this lifestyle, are all stand up people. Hardworking, supportive and humble.

karthik
10-15-13, 3:58 pm
whew! close call there, I was about to delete this thread, because I thought I would get flamed like crazy for stating what I did. I halfway thought guys would be like yeah whatever we are crazy, etc. I'm surprised I got the responses that I did. then again I guess life is full of surprises.

good to see positive lifters out there.

Swolepez
10-15-13, 4:38 pm
I work and train at a YMCA so it is really family friendly, even thd guys who like to bodybuild and powerlift....but you wouldn't believe how many members come to the Y saying that they just left Gold's Gym bc of disrespectful "meatheads". Even one guy who competes said he hated Golds bc there was no "brotherness" or "community".

By the way I just want to make it clear that I dont believe all Gold's Gyms have disrespectful meatheads or that it is a disrespectful gym, I'm stating what members of the Y have said about the Golds close to my work and why they decided to leave that Gold's.

karthik
10-15-13, 5:28 pm
By the way I just want to make it clear that I dont believe all Gold's Gyms have disrespectful meatheads or that it is a disrespectful gym, I'm stating what members of the Y have said about the Golds close to my work and why they decided to leave that Gold's.

you need not worry, you don't have to be politically correct with me, being able to speak without hesitation is what I appreciate most. what you have is called an educated guess, I see it like this, if someone fits the stereotype, they are the stereotype unless they prove so otherwise, its called common sense, and everyone has the right to have one, you need not feel guilty for your observations

Swolepez
10-15-13, 5:52 pm
you need not worry, you don't have to be politically correct with me, being able to speak without hesitation is what I appreciate most. what you have is called an educated guess, I see it like this, if someone fits the stereotype, they are the stereotype unless they prove so otherwise, its called common sense, and everyone has the right to have one, you need not feel guilty for your observations

Haha, thanks brother, just didnt want to sound judgmental...

But anyways, I wouldn't worry about whether or not you fit in with the "big guy personality" outside of the gym....personally I dont care to cuss much either and I dont believe I have to degrade any women or anyone for that matter to look "tough". So just keep paying your dues and busting your butt like you've been doing and continue to enjoy the activities you like outside of the gym. Besides you always have the community of humble individuals who pay their dues on the forvm here.

Maccabee
10-15-13, 8:05 pm
I agree with you. I don't hang out with any of the powerlifters or body builders at my gym. A lot of the ones I got to know just curse nonstop and degrade women. Every conversation is about who they banged and how many they banged. I rarely come across meatheads that could talk about something else besides themselves or his lifestyle. I am sure some could, but I find it sad.

karthik
10-15-13, 8:26 pm
I agree with you. I don't hang out with any of the powerlifters or body builders at my gym. A lot of the ones I got to know just curse nonstop and degrade women. Every conversation is about who they banged and how many they banged. I rarely come across meatheads that could talk about something else besides themselves or his lifestyle. I am sure some could, but I find it sad.

and the funniest thing is that a lot of them are not even that good with women. they love to make up stories though.

Maccabee
10-15-13, 10:16 pm
and the funniest thing is that a lot of them are not even that good with women. they love to make up stories though.

Yeah, It's all just stories. Whatever makes their day. I do what ever it takes to ignore them. Just anyone that's negative I stay away from them. The same goes for business and anything else I pursue.

Crash
10-16-13, 3:35 pm
...From my experience, the "meathead persona" is most prevalent in those who have an ego problem. Which is to say, that they are insecure about themselves. They feel the need to act the way they do to make their presence known, rather than letting their work, and work ethic tell the story (Which it always does). Once one comes to terms with that, they end up being just regular men and women who are searching for another day in the sun...

...Strength and Honor...

SquatPressPull
10-16-13, 3:40 pm
If a lifter is pouncing around and degrading women, acting tough, and being general (or more) douche bags, I feel they aren't powerlifters.

All of the powerlifters I've met in person have been the kindness and most helpful people. The ones online (here and other places) have too been very helpful and great people.

So, please don't confuse douche bag lifters that call themselves powerlifters with real powerlifters.

Bruiser
10-16-13, 5:18 pm
If a lifter is pouncing around and degrading women, acting tough, and being general (or more) douche bags, I feel they aren't powerlifters.

All of the powerlifters I've met in person have been the kindness and most helpful people. The ones online (here and other places) have too been very helpful and great people.

So, please don't confuse douche bag lifters that call themselves powerlifters with real powerlifters.

Well said bud. Thank you. I've seen so many more bodybuilders with this attitude problem as compared to powerlifters. Another thing I think they need to look at is age. Smart money says they're talking about guys under 22 who are going to be asshats no matter what they're into.

OP: Don't lump powerlifters into this group and stop saying meathead like its a bad thing.

Swolepez
10-16-13, 7:18 pm
Well said bud. Thank you. I've seen so many more bodybuilders with this attitude problem as compared to powerlifters. Another thing I think they need to look at is age. Smart money says they're talking about guys under 22 who are going to be asshats no matter what they're into.

OP: Don't lump powerlifters into this group and stop saying meathead like its a bad thing.

I believe your right about the age thing, there would be a lot of kids at the college weight rm last yr who put on a little bit of muscle and then think they are the next big thing and walk around like their stuff don't stink.......and they act exactly like you said, "asshats no matter what they're into".

Karthik used the term meatheads bc when people (outside of bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman) use that term they typically mean douchebags who lift or have decent muscle size. that's why he even said, " and the term I guess is meatheads," bc he was unsure if that was the right term or not. I doubt he meant offense by it.

Swolepez
10-16-13, 7:20 pm
...From my experience, the "meathead persona" is most prevalent in those who have an ego problem. Which is to say, that they are insecure about themselves. They feel the need to act the way they do to make their presence known, rather than letting their work, and work ethic tell the story (Which it always does). Once one comes to terms with that, they end up being just regular men and women who are searching for another day in the sun...

...Strength and Honor...

I agree 100%

karthik
10-17-13, 2:17 am
I believe your right about the age thing, there would be a lot of kids at the college weight rm last yr who put on a little bit of muscle and then think they are the next big thing and walk around like their stuff don't stink.......and they act exactly like you said, "asshats no matter what they're into".

Karthik used the term meatheads bc when people (outside of bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman) use that term they typically mean douchebags who lift or have decent muscle size. that's why he even said, " and the term I guess is meatheads," bc he was unsure if that was the right term or not. I doubt he meant offense by it.

you pretty much nailed it, that's what I meant, cause guys like Brian Shaw, someone I have a lot of respect for are definitely not meatheads. when I say meatheads I mean people who think they are all that but just act real insecure, don't get it. meathead I feel may not be the actual competitor but someone fronting like they are or have the genetics of an actual competitor.

by the way speaking of hiking, though I don't use that term, this is me running around a large mountain, lol, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=924389329930&set=a.567551435930.2087686.71902436&type=1&theater

and me doing raw squats, with no wraps or belt, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=524331747590388&set=t.71902436&type=3&theater

only reason why I included those pics, is that I like to be the big guy that does it without the other douchebag and maybe the term meathead stuff. I am trying to be a good example here, but when other people act stupid, it gets in the way. I just am trying to be around other LIFTERS not around people that talk a lot of trash.

G Diesel
10-17-13, 9:57 am
Insecurities being what they are, we all on occasion act in ways we aren't proud of. Generally, I've found assholes in every walk of life. Those who use money or intellect or looks or social status to demean or look down on others. Usually because they feel so fucking bad about themselves. Having muscles or being strong in the gym is no different. Often people are compensating for some other things they lack. Remember that when you have these encounters.

I think the best way to combat all of this is to pursue excellence in whatever you are passionate about. Make the gains and the progress you seek. And then, instead of reinforcing these stereotypes, be kind and humble and helpful. Change perceptions by challenging those preconceived notions with your own behavior and attitude. A big step toward changing the world is taken when we find the ability to change ourselves.

Peace, G

karthik
10-17-13, 12:57 pm
@GDiesel, you said it, thanks for your post.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
10-17-13, 1:03 pm
Insecure people are going to FLEX whatever they do have.. whether it be muscles, money, an education, good looks... Take a step back and look at what they don't have... That will tell you who they really are.

P Diesel
10-19-13, 5:18 pm
Insecurities being what they are, we all on occasion act in ways we aren't proud of. Generally, I've found assholes in every walk of life. Those who use money or intellect or looks or social status to demean or look down on others. Usually because they feel so fucking bad about themselves. Having muscles or being strong in the gym is no different. Often people are compensating for some other things they lack. Remember that when you have these encounters.

I think the best way to combat all of this is to pursue excellence in whatever you are passionate about. Make the gains and the progress you seek. And then, instead of reinforcing these stereotypes, be kind and humble and helpful. Change perceptions by challenging those preconceived notions with your own behavior and attitude. A big step toward changing the world is taken when we find the ability to change ourselves.

Peace, G

Insecure people are going to FLEX whatever they do have.. whether it be muscles, money, an education, good looks... Take a step back and look at what they don't have... That will tell you who they really are.

I saw this thread about a week ago and have been thinking about how to respond. sumtimes I need to sit back and put my thoughts together so I do not go off on a tangent. during that time my brothers could not have said it much better.

to add, the type of person u described, while may be encountered in many places in the world, will be in the extreme minority here. and nonexistent among the athletes.

P

except for me, I curse a lot, A LOT :)

karthik
10-25-13, 7:04 pm
I want to thank everyone who replied to this post, honestly, I was shocked that I received such positive feedback, that alone is proof of the truth. and also I want to point out that certain great people like Ronnie Coleman, Zydrunas Savickas, Brian Shaw, and Justin Harris, are definitely proof that they can be themselves and don't need to show a fake persona in order to be seen as something, cause they already are.

P Diesel
10-26-13, 10:51 am
hang around here and talk to sum forvm memebers and athletes for a while. ull have more then a handful more to add to that list friend.

P

Brandon Lilly
10-28-13, 10:50 am
I'm a pretty laid back dude. I think guys that think they are awesome because they have some muscle are pretty much worthless. You need to be well rounded, and be able to form a sentence about something in life beyond the gym... As important as the gym may be.