PDA

View Full Version : Supplements

BUILT555
10-23-13, 6:32 pm
I have had a concern about supplements and I would really would like to get some straight to the point honest advice of the its use. Is supplement usage really necessary to muscle growth and fat loss, or is it just a short-cut versus getting the required nutrients from eating the right foods? I'm asking this because there are so many supplements out there that really do nothing for the body other than draining the wallet. Anyone out there who really knows supplements and its use, I would appreciate it the advice.

Cellardweller
10-23-13, 6:41 pm
Supplements are just that, supplements. They suppliment your diet and nutrition. They aren't necessary but can fill in the holes if you aren't eating a balanced diet.

J Wong
10-23-13, 9:24 pm
The right supplements are great if you have your training and nutrition down. If you don't have those two things down and you rely on supplements as a crutch, expect to be disappointed.

Swolepez
10-24-13, 12:01 am
The right supplements are great if you have your training and nutrition down. If you don't have those two things down and you rely on supplements as a crutch, expect to be disappointed.

I agree with this 100%

DEADn
10-25-13, 8:32 am
FOOD, FOOD AND MORE FOOD is the road to strength and mass. Supplements are as the name implies. To help bring up the edges. I think to make supplements the staple of the diet is a mass deception. It feels cool. looks cool but the body says otherwise.

If a person only used whey protein for their protein sources they would probably not grow very much but if a person used whole food for it they would grow like weed. I see whey protein as a snack type of 'food'. Then when you get to the enhancer supps such as animal rage a person needs to be careful that you are not relying on them for your sole motivation to lift and getting addicted to it.
Products such as Animal Pak should be a better staple to the diet because we can't get every vitamin and mineral in our system and so products such as Animal Pak do a great job in helping the body in recovery. Same goes for Animal PM. That is a great product.
I like Animal Rage but only when my drive seems to be missing. Then I also have to watch my bp as well. I am on low dose bp medicine.

naturalguy
10-25-13, 11:14 am
I have had a concern about supplements and I would really would like to get some straight to the point honest advice of the its use. Is supplement usage really necessary to muscle growth and fat loss, or is it just a short-cut versus getting the required nutrients from eating the right foods? I'm asking this because there are so many supplements out there that really do nothing for the body other than draining the wallet. Anyone out there who really knows supplements and its use, I would appreciate it the advice.

Supplements are not necessary. Diet & training will have the biggest impact on your growth. Once you have those down pat and you want to take your game to the next level then you can consider supplements.

G Diesel
10-25-13, 12:18 pm
Supplements are not necessary. Diet & training will have the biggest impact on your growth. Once you have those down pat and you want to take your game to the next level then you can consider supplements.

And to me, simplicity is critical.

Protein, vitamins, minerals, creatine, EFAs, aminos, stims. That's the same shit that worked 30 years ago, but our industry is just constantly improving making the stuff taste better and work more efficiently.

Use the right things in the right amounts at the right times and supps undoubtedly can be very beneficial.

Just don't expect them to be a supplement for a lack of consistent hard work.

Peace, G

Firefist
10-25-13, 12:42 pm
And to me, simplicity is critical.

Protein, vitamins, minerals, creatine, EFAs, aminos, stims. That's the same shit that worked 30 years ago, but our industry is just constantly improving making the stuff taste better and work more efficiently.

I agree with this 100% and your choices.

That being said though, I have seen the other side of the mountain, and it is good. There is a lot of Stak on the other side of the mountain.

Supps will only go as far as you are willing to work hard, eat, and train.

J Wong
10-25-13, 12:49 pm
Well there you have it! There seems to be a trend of the replies in this thread that revolve around a common factor.

Swolepez
10-26-13, 7:37 pm
Food. Training. Rest/Recovery.......make sure these are all in place and then supps come next. And the best results dont come from the fancy supps. My 2 most importants: A multi, like Pak or Uni-Vite & a post workout like Torrent (it has protein, carbs, leucine, creatine, etc)....and a pre workout would also be great if money allows: Rage/Pump/ or Shock Therapy.

Everything else is just extra...

KettleBellFreak
10-28-13, 10:55 am
If your diet isn't in check, fuck your training, fuck your supplements, and ultimately fuck your goals if you can't keep your shit together enough to eat in such a way to have the body/ability you desire.

The only supplement that truly lives up to the hype and every expectation that comes with it, which is kind of a shame to say "hype" because mostly it is discredited for taste or intensity and most people would rather use something with a meth analog and enough beta alanine to kill a mouse, IS and ONLY is RAGE.

Goldstone
10-28-13, 11:20 am
Just wanted to throw my name into the hat with what others have said.

Training, diet, and sleep trump any supplement available. Those should always be the meat and potatoes of your training. Supplements are the icing on the cake, and only do what they're supposed to do when the rest is in check.

Wish I would have known/appreciated that when I got into the iron game years ago... Live and learn.

G Diesel
10-28-13, 11:25 am
Just wanted to throw my name into the hat with what others have said.

Training, diet, and sleep trump any supplement available. Those should always be the meat and potatoes of your training. Supplements are the icing on the cake, and only do what they're supposed to do when the rest is in check.

Wish I would have known/appreciated that when I got into the iron game years ago... Live and learn.

Well said, my brother. In your meat and potatoes analogy, training is the meat, diet is the potatoes and supplements are the gravy on top. it isn't as crucial to the meal as the other two factors, but when the right one is added properly it sure can tie dinner together nicely.

Peace, G

Goldstone
10-28-13, 11:29 am
Well said, my brother. In your meat and potatoes analogy, training is the meat, diet is the potatoes and supplements are the gravy on top. it isn't as crucial to the meal as the other two factors, but when the right one is added properly it sure can tie dinner together nicely.

Peace, G

Amen to that, G!

Hopefully some of the newer guys can really take this to heart and see some tremendous progress. Scares me to think of all the money I wasted in my earlier years of training chasing the latest and greatest supplement...

Josebg02
03-26-14, 4:02 pm
My order just came in the today an i begin taking it tomorrow. On the container it states to take with meal prior to workout. During my am workout i don't have a meal. My question is can i take it on an empty stomach like a preworkout in addition to animal rage or equivalent?