PDA

View Full Version : My Fresh Start

Pete Rubish
10-29-13, 2:52 am
I started a log on here back in July leading up to my preparation for the UPA Iron Battle on the Mississippi. I was heavily dieted down and I was all over the place as far as my training. I was still doing MMA four to five days a week and only lifting one to two days. A lot of this stemmed from my disappointing performance at my meet up in Nova Scotia in April. I began to question a lot of things and needed a bit of a hiatus away from the sport, which MMA provided. I became humbled and got back on track with a renewed passion for powerlifting, so a lot of good things came out of it. I've learned a lot of valuable lessons in these last few months and am ready to get back on track in less than three weeks at the UPA Power Weekend Meet on November 16. I've completely changed my squat form from high-bar to low-bar after years of seemingly doing "good mornings" with my max attempts. I've also completely changed up my bench form and am now sitting 60 pounds higher than my meet PR on bench. My deadlift also seems to be taking off having hit an easy 800 pound beltless double a little over a week ago. My grip will remain the biggest concern for me on deads, but I've been working to improve that as well with a ton of static holds.

Anyway, less than three weeks to go and I couldn't be more excited. I plan to do this meet completely beltless and without knee wraps for squats. I will only be using wrist wraps for squat and bench. So you could more or less saying I'll be doing this meet 100% raw. I'm currently training 3-4 days a week right now and my diet is almost entirely consisting of ground beef and four cheese rice a roni. It's simple, and it works as far as building strength, mass, and keeping me lean.

To put things in perspective, I'm up 30 pounds from the last time I competed and I'm squatting without knee wraps or a belt roughly the same weight I was deadlifting at that point in time. My bench is also 100 pounds higher. I just needed a break and time to refocus but I'm ready to go once again.

It's my goal to get sponsored by Animal hopefully after this meet, so I'm going to do everything I can to make that a reality.

Training from 10/27/13

Beltless Squats w/o Knee Wraps: 585x1, 635x1, 655x1
Chest-Supported Rows: up to 3x5 with 5 plates
45 Degree Hyperextensions w/barbell out in front: 10x315, 5x335
Safety Bar Squats (no belt or wraps): up to 510 for a triple
100 pound plate holds for time

/watch?v=MJUXUf5JhPU

Seath308
10-29-13, 4:52 am
Great to have you on the Forvm homie!

Pete Rubish
10-30-13, 9:50 pm
Great to have you on the Forvm homie!
Thanks buddy! Congrats on winning the super heavies at your show!

10/29/13 Heavy Benching

I just wanted to build some confidence in knowing I can hit 405 whenever I feel like it, so today we stuck to singles. They were all tough singles, but this was the first time I'd done this much volume with this heavy of weight. This is also the heaviest I've ever gone on military presses and dips.

Pause Bench: 3 singles with 405
Military Press: 245x1, 2x1x255
Weighted Dips: up to top set of bodyweight + 180 lbs for 2 reps
Single-Arm Tricep Pushdowns: 3x15x60
Cable Curls: 25, 20 x 190
100 pound plate holds for time

Bruiser
11-22-13, 8:54 am
Where's your video from the UPA meet last weekend?