PDA

View Full Version : VID: Ox's "Being a Bodybuilder" Series

Animal Rep
11-14-13, 9:48 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbVrLkWX6gg

G Diesel
11-14-13, 9:53 am
Awesome. Been looking forward to it.

Always a jewel of wisdom to be absorbed from Ev, whether it be about the gym or about life.

Peace, G

naturalguy
11-14-13, 11:09 am
Looking forward to the whole series

Jay
11-15-13, 12:00 pm
Wow.. this was a great video. Cant wait for the rest.

Animal Rep
11-21-13, 9:45 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULOgwJ3TtxM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUpdqwOGsGSuI50cQ76kUEnA

G Diesel
11-21-13, 9:46 am
Enjoyed part two even more than #1. Good shit.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
11-21-13, 10:03 am

Peace, G

Agreed. This one went even deeper into Ox's psyche than the first chapter...

Ox
11-21-13, 12:07 pm
I sincerely appreciate the kind words guys. Please know that despite having been at it for a little bit now, being made to feel as though anyone cares about what I have to say (let alone appreciates it or is able to benefit from it) never ceases to amaze me!

Ox
11-21-13, 12:11 pm
And as always, a job well done by the crew at headquarters. Having something to say is one thing. Having a legit mic to say it into is another!

SquatPressPull
11-21-13, 3:18 pm
Great videos. Ox, thank you for the insight into your thought processes...

ibnmahama
11-21-13, 4:12 pm
Great video. I always enjoy watching your vids

Altered Beast
11-21-13, 4:17 pm

Peace, G

X2!

Ox was the first person standing outside of the Cage that I saw and noticed. I remember thinking, DAMN there's Ox the Arnold Classic Champ! Why isn't he standing around a bunch of Universal BBers or Animal lifters in a closed off area like a VIP?

He was actually outside of the cage where the regular folks were allowed to walk in and was greeting everyone. He even spoke to me for a while! Never did he hide away in one of the corners or in the area where people were lifting and only select few were allowed. Ox was outside talking to anyone and everyone with a gigantic smile on his face. Never was anyone including me intimidated. Very easy to talk to. A hell of a human being.

*He'd be one hell of a salesman (To quote Michael Douglass from Wall Street 2, a fisherman always spots a fisherman from afar! LOL!)

Thanks for this series Ox! I for one am enjoying them very much.

Ox
11-22-13, 9:17 am
Great videos. Ox, thank you for the insight into your thought processes...

Thanks pal

Ox
11-22-13, 9:18 am
Great video. I always enjoy watching your vids

Did you come across any tips in the vids for getting stronger?

Ox
11-22-13, 9:19 am
X2!

Ox was the first person standing outside of the Cage that I saw and noticed. I remember thinking, DAMN there's Ox the Arnold Classic Champ! Why isn't he standing around a bunch of Universal BBers or Animal lifters in a closed off area like a VIP?

He was actually outside of the cage where the regular folks were allowed to walk in and was greeting everyone. He even spoke to me for a while! Never did he hide away in one of the corners or in the area where people were lifting and only select few were allowed. Ox was outside talking to anyone and everyone with a gigantic smile on his face. Never was anyone including me intimidated. Very easy to talk to. A hell of a human being.

*He'd be one hell of a salesman (To quote Michael Douglass from Wall Street 2, a fisherman always spots a fisherman from afar! LOL!)

Thanks for this series Ox! I for one am enjoying them very much.

Damn man, thanks a lot!

Universal Rep
11-22-13, 10:51 am
X2!

I think youd find every Animal athlete is like this... This is one key way that distinguishes an Animal sponsored athlete from other athletes sponsored by other supp companies...

Altered Beast
11-22-13, 11:06 am
I think youd find every Animal athlete is like this... This is one key way that distinguishes an Animal sponsored athlete from other athletes sponsored by other supp companies...

Agreed! I'll just never forget that about Ox at my first Cage experience last year.

Enforcer
11-22-13, 11:07 am
Two great vids thus far. Love how Animal is able to truly show what it takes to be a top level bodybuilder

Ox
11-26-13, 5:10 pm
Agreed! I'll just never forget that about Ox at my first Cage experience last year.

Hey man I get it. The first time is always special!

chuckzilla
11-26-13, 6:31 pm
great videos, thanks. I met ox at the Arnold expo also. couldn't ask for a nicer guy, and thanks for the pictures.

naturalguy
11-28-13, 11:11 am
Episode # 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JkcfUPU9wQ

Ox
11-29-13, 2:09 pm
Thanks Natty Guy. How was Thanksgiving? List everything you ate!

D-NUTZ
11-29-13, 8:54 pm
Cool vids.

Way better than the traditional "this is how I train and eat" videos.

ibnmahama
11-29-13, 11:48 pm
Did you come across any tips in the vids for getting stronger?

Yeah the reminder of pay now or pay later. Really helped me on my deadlift day when I had to do 565lbs for 6 reps of 2. Helped me mentally to get through the workout.

Ox
11-30-13, 11:52 am
Yeah the reminder of pay now or pay later. Really helped me on my deadlift day when I had to do 565lbs for 6 reps of 2. Helped me mentally to get through the workout.

Hahahahahaha...I was just screwing around man. If I needed help getting stronger I'd ask YOU!

Ox
11-30-13, 11:53 am
Cool vids.

Way better than the traditional "this is how I train and eat" videos.

Don't lie...you like those.

naturalguy
11-30-13, 7:33 pm
Thanks Natty Guy. How was Thanksgiving? List everything you ate!

Let's start with my bird, slow smoked with cherry & applewood, herb rub and butter based injection:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/2013%20Vegas%20URT/IMG_20131128_145420_zps2d8899e7.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/er1994/media/2013%20Vegas%20URT/IMG_20131128_145420_zps2d8899e7.jpg.html)

Ox
12-01-13, 9:39 am
Let's start with my bird, slow smoked with cherry & applewood, herb rub and butter based injection:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/2013%20Vegas%20URT/IMG_20131128_145420_zps2d8899e7.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/er1994/media/2013%20Vegas%20URT/IMG_20131128_145420_zps2d8899e7.jpg.html)

If I find out that you're secretly a food blogger and haven't let me know about it I'm going to be pissed. That bird looks excellent.

avyion12
12-01-13, 11:13 am
It's things like this that bodybuilding needs. Love your perspective Ox, you are by far my favourite personality and physique on the IFBB stages. Keep it real man, you're a serious inspiration for me. These vids get my ass up from being floored from exam prep and into the gym going hard.

D-NUTZ
12-01-13, 4:13 pm
Don't lie...you like those.

Only when there is posing involved....

or if I'm involved in the eating.

still a fat kid on the inside.

DieselpoweredBear
12-01-13, 8:24 pm
When i hear OX speak, i do two things:

A: being ever so still, and
B: Listening to what he has to say, 'cause this man ALWAYS gives Pearls of wisdom!!

Please keep those vids coming!!

Respect!!

ibnmahama
12-02-13, 12:41 am
Hahahahahaha...I was just screwing around man. If I needed help getting stronger I'd ask YOU!

Lmao, this guy here!

Ox
12-02-13, 9:28 am
It's things like this that bodybuilding needs. Love your perspective Ox, you are by far my favourite personality and physique on the IFBB stages. Keep it real man, you're a serious inspiration for me. These vids get my ass up from being floored from exam prep and into the gym going hard.

Man, I really appreciate you saying that. Best of luck with your exams! If it's not personal to you, what are you studying?

Ox
12-02-13, 9:31 am
Only when there is posing involved....

or if I'm involved in the eating.

still a fat kid on the inside.

WHAT IF I posed as I ate? KABOOOM!

Ox
12-02-13, 9:33 am
When i hear OX speak, i do two things:

A: being ever so still, and
B: Listening to what he has to say, 'cause this man ALWAYS gives Pearls of wisdom!!

Please keep those vids coming!!

Respect!!

Thanks man...that is my exact protocol when I watch Bear Grylls wrestle a crocodile! Or Martha Stewart jar seasonal harvest.

Ox
12-02-13, 9:34 am
Lmao, this guy here!

Haha!

naturalguy
12-02-13, 9:39 am
If I find out that you're secretly a food blogger and haven't let me know about it I'm going to be pissed. That bird looks excellent.

G Diesel has called me a "foodie" on more than one occasion

D-NUTZ
12-02-13, 10:15 am
WHAT IF I posed as I ate? KABOOOM!

You don't wanna know.

Altered Beast
12-02-13, 11:13 am
Ox, out of curiosity, why all the talk of retirement? You covered it a bit in the video, but I still don't quite follow.

N. Motta
12-02-13, 2:31 pm
Another great segment.

But I gotta say, when Chris referenced squatting in black dress socks, I let out a loud chuckle. Haha

Universal Rep
12-02-13, 3:06 pm
Ox, out of curiosity, why all the talk of retirement? You covered it a bit in the video, but I still don't quite follow.

I noticed that too. Mebbe a way that Ox thinks about his future and the way he thinks ahead? Dunno...

Ox
12-04-13, 2:40 pm
G Diesel has called me a "foodie" on more than one occasion

I hear people throw around that term as if it's a bad thing...is it meant that way?

Universal Rep
12-04-13, 3:30 pm
I hear people throw around that term as if it's a bad thing...is it meant that way?

Only when used together with "naturalguy"...

Ox
12-04-13, 4:03 pm

I guess I'm not that good at being "in the moment. Also, when I was coming up in the sport (and even now) I've met people who are straight up delusional. If you go to ANY competition, be it local or regional or national or even professional. Each show is filled with guys who "got screwed". You have plenty of people who have half the shot they think they do. And you you have people who will go back year after year after year and piss away one of the most valuable assets any of us has...time. I'll never forget 10th grade geometry class....aside from biology, it was the only class I ever really EXCELLED in. It was an honors level class and the teacher was very demanding. One of the things he would do was throw out a proof for us to work on and the first one to solve it didn't have to do homework that night. Of course, everyone worked fast as hell to try and be the first and one thing he used to say to us that still rings in my head is "fail fast". There's no time to allocate towards something that won't pay off. Ineffective means don't pay off. But just the same, ends you are less than passionate about aren't worth pursuing to begin with. I wouldn't half ass my attempt any sooner than I would attempt something I don't even want.

Getting back to bodybuilding, I always told myself that I would be my harshest critic and never be so delusional as to think I'm better than I am. Granted, I've had some success in bodybuilding. I know that I can't do this forever nor want to. However, I love bodybuilding and don't feel that I've come close to fulfilling my potential. Furthermore, I WANT to continue to try and come closer to that potential. But make no mistake, once I've either maxed myself out or no longer want to pursue it, I will be onto the next stage of my life. I intend to work efficiently and with purpose to try and realize that potential sooner than later. Once that potential is either reached or should I realize it's not worth reaching, I will dedicate my time and effort to something else. Make no mistake, "retirement" has been on my mind since before I did my first show. I have a bad habit of thinking about the second set before I finish the first.

Ox
12-04-13, 4:11 pm
Another great segment.

But I gotta say, when Chris referenced squatting in black dress socks, I let out a loud chuckle. Haha

Dude said "dress" socks...they're not dress socks!

Ox
12-04-13, 4:12 pm
Only when used together with "naturalguy"...

naturalguy = "thatguy"?

Swolepez
12-04-13, 7:15 pm
One of my favorite parts, mostly from ch 2 is when Ox explained how some days he wakes up and wonders why is doing this or is bodybuilding what he still wants to do, will this be my last comp. I know we all want to seem hardcore and never miss a meal, never miss a training session, but the truth is we all struggle with this reality... And not just In bodybuilding but in other phases of life as well..we sometimes wonder why are we doing this? And it's not just us who feel that way... Even the pros who compete in the Olympia have their days... I'm just glad Ox wasn't afraid to admit it.....much respect.

Animal Rep
12-05-13, 12:16 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZALtJA0aBLA

Jay
12-05-13, 1:03 pm
What a cool posing routine....

Altered Beast
12-05-13, 2:37 pm
Ox has a classic physique in my opinion. He's symmetrical yet massive and those quads are definitely the freak element! After a posing routine he should walk over to the judges' table and just flex his quads! LOL!

Today's BBers are too grossly, bloated and overly massive in my opinion. They look store bought. Ox doesn't have that. He has more than enough mass to please the new generation yet is truly symmetrical like the Golden Age BBers.

Keep the vids coming! Truly enjoying them.

Ox
12-05-13, 8:16 pm
Ox has a classic physique in my opinion. He's symmetrical yet massive and those quads are definitely the freak element! After a posing routine he should walk over to the judges' table and just flex his quads! LOL!

Today's BBers are too grossly, bloated and overly massive in my opinion. They look store bought. Ox doesn't have that. He has more than enough mass to please the new generation yet is truly symmetrical like the Golden Age BBers.

Keep the vids coming! Truly enjoying them.

I'm no Serge Nubret I can say that with honesty! At the same time, although I may strive for the freak factor, I don't see myself as being quite as freaky as many of today's top guys. The ideal is to be both, like you said. Don't know that I'm quite there but I will continue to try my damnedest and I appreciate the kind words!

Altered Beast
12-06-13, 9:31 am
I'm no Serge Nubret I can say that with honesty! At the same time, although I may strive for the freak factor, I don't see myself as being quite as freaky as many of today's top guys. The ideal is to be both, like you said. Don't know that I'm quite there but I will continue to try my damnedest and I appreciate the kind words!

No problem and I know you will! Its refreshing to see that some of the top IFBB guys are more concerned with symmetry and that classic look than just getting as big as possible. Like Arnold use to say, "It's about looking good and getting the chicks!"

You put Surge to shame IMO. One issue I have with the Golden Age BBers is the fact that their legs are a bit small IMHO. They were worried that heavy Squats and Deadlifts would make their waists lines grow. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but I personally always enjoyed having large, lean legs simply because most guys you see in the gym don't!

Ox
12-07-13, 12:54 pm
No problem and I know you will! Its refreshing to see that some of the top IFBB guys are more concerned with symmetry and that classic look than just getting as big as possible. Like Arnold use to say, "It's about looking good and getting the chicks!"

You put Surge to shame IMO. One issue I have with the Golden Age BBers is the fact that their legs are a bit small IMHO. They were worried that heavy Squats and Deadlifts would make their waists lines grow. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but I personally always enjoyed having large, lean legs simply because most guys you see in the gym don't!

Ahnold would say that!

Don't know that I'd put him to shame as he had a hell of a build. Truth be told, i wouldn't mind giving up a LITTLE leg mass in exchange for his waist...a few inches off the waist makes your legs look inches bigger anyways! As for squats and deads, I think they do thicken the waist a little. No way you're going to have a guy hold up with 5 or 600 pounds on his back with a tiny midsection...at least not usually. I think the waist thickens to support those movements...how much depends on the person. Lee Haney was a great combination of size and aesthetics

Enforcer
12-10-13, 2:23 pm
These vids are getting better and better with each one. Very inspiring. Evan is a man with a plan and the right attitude for everyone to follow

Animal Rep
12-12-13, 2:31 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBI2_duQ24E

Ox
12-13-13, 3:45 pm
These vids are getting better and better with each one. Very inspiring. Evan is a man with a plan and the right attitude for everyone to follow

Man with a "tentative plan" that is....hahahahaha

waresmarufy
12-17-13, 1:11 pm
every word spoke to me. keep making more!

Universal Rep
12-18-13, 10:05 am
Overall, how wuz this series? Did it end on a good note? Does it need an epilogue?

N. Motta
12-18-13, 10:19 am
Overall, how wuz this series? Did it end on a good note? Does it need an epilogue?

Absolutely a class above. Very refreshing. Great filming, great in's and out's with the music used. And it's kind of a given that Evan's commentary was bound to be very good, thought provoking, honest, motivation. I guess if I had to try and find a negative, you guys have set the bar pretty high with this series. So now you've got a lot to live up to haha.

But to be completely honest, like I told Evan. Most of his commentary, I didn't feel like I had to know it was coming from a bodybuilder/weightlifter for it to have a great impact. Which it did.

Universal Rep
12-18-13, 11:06 am
Absolutely a class above. Very refreshing. Great filming, great in's and out's with the music used. And it's kind of a given that Evan's commentary was bound to be very good, thought provoking, honest, motivation. I guess if I had to try and find a negative, you guys have set the bar pretty high with this series. So now you've got a lot to live up to haha.

But to be completely honest, like I told Evan. Most of his commentary, I didn't feel like I had to know it was coming from a bodybuilder/weightlifter for it to have a great impact. Which it did.

Sum have commented that the ending wuz a little bit of a downer... Me, I thought it was mixed. Sure, Ox wuz a bit down, but his words at the end were positive and broad.

Madcat
12-18-13, 11:47 am
Life isn't all rainbows and unicorns, Ox was brutally honest and upfront about his feelings and everything. That is what Animal is. It's not a company with glitz and glamor, think of the Cage, no showgirls, no BS. If I wanted to watch a series about how sweet and perfect Ox's lifestyle was, I'd turn on something like Lifetime or whatever. This is the no BS truth I want when I think of Animal, Universal, and true life. Same goes for all the video series, posters, and past articles. I remember the pic of I believe Wrath sitting on a bed, girl behind him in a thong(yep) and he is just starring at the ground, that is life. I don't want to see him all cuddled up and lovey dovey, that's not Animal, that's BS. I freaking love the approach Animal takes at all of this with their products, athletes, and gear, granted everyone is professionals and not saying they are like ugly or anything of that sort, but it's not like a modeling shoot or any crap like that. It's real life.

Altered Beast
12-18-13, 1:14 pm
Life isn't all rainbows and unicorns, Ox was brutally honest and upfront about his feelings and everything. That is what Animal is. It's not a company with glitz and glamor, think of the Cage, no showgirls, no BS. If I wanted to watch a series about how sweet and perfect Ox's lifestyle was, I'd turn on something like Lifetime or whatever. This is the no BS truth I want when I think of Animal, Universal, and true life. Same goes for all the video series, posters, and past articles. I remember the pic of I believe Wrath sitting on a bed, girl behind him in a thong(yep) and he is just starring at the ground, that is life. I don't want to see him all cuddled up and lovey dovey, that's not Animal, that's BS. I freaking love the approach Animal takes at all of this with their products, athletes, and gear, granted everyone is professionals and not saying they are like ugly or anything of that sort, but it's not like a modeling shoot or any crap like that. It's real life.

X2

Ox
12-18-13, 5:48 pm

1. Are you saying that me getting lovey dovey isn't cool?!

2. Do you think I'm pretty?

Ox
12-18-13, 5:52 pm

Personally, I'm a sucker for a happy ending.....this is America....happy endings are what we DO!

Universal Rep
12-19-13, 9:43 am
Personally, I'm a sucker for a happy ending.....this is America....happy endings are what we DO!

Will this work for ya?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdiJls68Krc

Madcat
12-19-13, 10:05 am
1. Are you saying that me getting lovey dovey isn't cool?!

2. Do you think I'm pretty?

Haha, never man, I know 100% you love your family with every ounce of your heart. I know because you're always the first articles and info I read in MD(can I say that company on here? sorry if not). When your dad had cancer the way your talked about it/him I knew what he meant to you. The way you talked about your fiance' and daughter, your house and making it perfect for them, it shows that despite the stereotype BBers get so many of them are some of the best people in the world. I am sure when you had that MD shoot with Animal with the guy in the hospital that struck a cord with you too, because that is who you are. At the same time, you aren't going to get all tears and stuff, just a real person.

And of course I think you are pretty bro!

Ox
12-19-13, 5:19 pm
Haha, never man, I know 100% you love your family with every ounce of your heart. I know because you're always the first articles and info I read in MD(can I say that company on here? sorry if not). When your dad had cancer the way your talked about it/him I knew what he meant to you. The way you talked about your fiance' and daughter, your house and making it perfect for them, it shows that despite the stereotype BBers get so many of them are some of the best people in the world. I am sure when you had that MD shoot with Animal with the guy in the hospital that struck a cord with you too, because that is who you are. At the same time, you aren't going to get all tears and stuff, just a real person.

And of course I think you are pretty bro!

Hahahahahaha....thanks bro. Just messin with ya. And honestly, I really appreciate all that.

Ox
12-19-13, 5:20 pm
Will this work for ya?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdiJls68Krc

10 weeks to the Arnold...the clock is ticking!