PDA

View Full Version : Malanichev Talks POWER

Animal
12-11-13, 2:51 pm
If you have a question for Andrey, post them here. Please be aware that due to the language barrier, time zones, schedule, etc., Andrey may not be able to answer all your questions in a timely fashion. Answers will be provided through a translator. Thank you for your patience.

Malan_Power
02-01-16, 2:08 pm
Feel free to ask questions, friends!

KDbeepbeep
02-01-16, 3:24 pm
yay!

What are your favorite accessory movements to build a better squat?

JFehily
02-01-16, 4:42 pm
I wish to squat with a closer grip for upper back tightness, what mobility would you recommend to achieve this? also how much mobility do you do in general? thank you

Malan_Power
02-02-16, 3:08 pm
yay!

What are your favorite accessory movements to build a better squat?

Hamstring curl - do them in the range of 8-10 reps

Malan_Power
02-02-16, 3:14 pm
I wish to squat with a closer grip for upper back tightness, what mobility would you recommend to achieve this? also how much mobility do you do in general? thank you

Right now I don't do it, but you MUST do it! No excuses!
As for closer grip... Why do you need it? I think it is better to find your own posture, don't copy somebody's else position or technique, but find yours and try to improve it!
If you still want to change your grip position to closer, do it very slowly from training to training! And do general mobility workouts and don't neglect warm ups!

Buckfever
02-02-16, 4:39 pm
What is your favorite rep range for working sets on the main lifts. And how many working sets do you prefer?

TheMannarino
02-02-16, 5:05 pm
Hey Andrey, huge fan here from Vancouver, Canada! Really appreciate you answering our questions.

Just have one for you right now - what would you say is your favorite accessory lift for building the sumo deadlift? Thank you!

RobDaSavage
02-02-16, 11:49 pm
My next venture is to squat 800lbs, currently at 733lbs in a meet actually think I may of had another 10lbs to squeeze out. I admire the way you squat in regards to having "some left in the tank" what I could I do to increase my squat gains, or should I continue with what I'm doing and let it run its course.
I've added 70lbs to my squat in 11 months.

RC79
02-03-16, 7:09 am
What would you consider the best advice for building strength as a teenager? Also what would benefit strength in the three lifts over time?

naturalguy
02-03-16, 12:39 pm
Iron Maiden or Metallica?

Firefist
02-03-16, 1:00 pm

Million dollar question.

Nix0r
02-03-16, 1:19 pm
How much steak can you eat in one sitting?

JFehily
02-04-16, 3:15 am
Right now I don't do it, but you MUST do it! No excuses!
As for closer grip... Why do you need it? I think it is better to find your own posture, don't copy somebody's else position or technique, but find yours and try to improve it!
If you still want to change your grip position to closer, do it very slowly from training to training! And do general mobility workouts and don't neglect warm ups!

thank you for the response Andre

Zharoon
02-06-16, 6:57 am
Hey, what kind of squat variations do you think a newer lifters who is looking to build squat muscles should do?

Malan_Power
02-15-16, 3:41 am
What is your favorite rep range for working sets on the main lifts. And how many working sets do you prefer?
It all depends on the stage of preparation
In the beginning I can do 10/8/5 reps, the more weight on the barbel (and the closer to the meet), the less reps I have. But I never do less than 3 reps.
And I ve got only 1 working set

Malan_Power
02-15-16, 3:48 am
Hey Andrey, huge fan here from Vancouver, Canada! Really appreciate you answering our questions.

Just have one for you right now - what would you say is your favorite accessory lift for building the sumo deadlift? Thank you!
hey mate, thank you for your kind words!

Well, firstly you should work hard about your mobility and then performs a lot of sumo DL from the higher position ( i don't know how to say it in english but i mean you are standing on 2-3 plates and the barbell on the floor so you perform the movement standing not on the floor)
and never work too hard or too frequent on your dl, let your back and legs have a lot rest

Malan_Power
02-15-16, 3:51 am
My next venture is to squat 800lbs, currently at 733lbs in a meet actually think I may of had another 10lbs to squeeze out. I admire the way you squat in regards to having "some left in the tank" what I could I do to increase my squat gains, or should I continue with what I'm doing and let it run its course.
I've added 70lbs to my squat in 11 months.

Continue with what I'm doing and let it run its course - increasing strength is very slow and hard process and there should a strict and very serious program which help you to increase strength. try to find a trainer who will help you with it. or write me directly on my personal email andrey.malanichev@yandex.ru

Malan_Power
02-15-16, 3:56 am
What would you consider the best advice for building strength as a teenager? Also what would benefit strength in the three lifts over time?

the best advice is to find a good trainer who could develop a good strength programm according to your abilities and goals! right now i opened my online training course so feel free to contact me via andrey.malanichev@yandex.ru

Malan_Power
02-15-16, 3:57 am

both and add slayer to these awesome groups!

Malan_Power
02-15-16, 3:58 am
How much steak can you eat in one sitting?

well when i was in NYc In Brooklyn i visited DeStefanos steakhouse where I ate 2 kilos steak with some place in my stomach to have a dessert ;)

Malan_Power
02-15-16, 4:06 am
Hey, what kind of squat variations do you think a newer lifters who is looking to build squat muscles should do?

volume training is the best option for you! try to perform 8/10/12 reps and different accesory excercises!

Zharoon
02-27-16, 2:28 pm
What are the best knee wraps you know of/which ones do you use? And would you recommend something else for a beginner like me who haven't squatted in knee wraps yet?

TheMannarino
02-28-16, 4:43 pm
hey mate, thank you for your kind words!

Well, firstly you should work hard about your mobility and then performs a lot of sumo DL from the higher position ( i don't know how to say it in english but i mean you are standing on 2-3 plates and the barbell on the floor so you perform the movement standing not on the floor)
and never work too hard or too frequent on your dl, let your back and legs have a lot rest

Thank you very much for the answer, Andrey!

Do you recommend a particular exercise for building both the bench press and the squat? Or, do you just squat and bench with little variation to strengthen the lifts?

Malan_Power
02-29-16, 3:38 pm
What are the best knee wraps you know of/which ones do you use? And would you recommend something else for a beginner like me who haven't squatted in knee wraps yet?

you d better squat in very light knee wraps!
APT are my knee wraps

Malan_Power
02-29-16, 3:41 pm

Thank you very much for the answer, Andrey!

Do you recommend a particular exercise for building both the bench press and the squat? Or, do you just squat and bench with little variation to strengthen the lifts?

when i do heavy squat on monday i bench lite on wednsday and saturday in slingshot
when i do light squat i do heavy benches on wedmesday and saturday both simple and slingshot
when i do deadlift i do bench once a week
when i don't do deadlift i bench two times - simple on wednesday and in slingshot on saturday

Kevincecio
03-04-16, 10:27 am
Whats up Andrey!
I have a question about the sumo dead lift. Ive been working on belt-less sumo dead lifts for a while now and worked up to a single with 615. Ive never had any sticking points in my dead lift, but lately i have been developing one right above my knees. Have you ever experienced working through this? what kinds of exercises/which muscle groups should i work on? was thinking of block pulls right at my knees as well as hammering lower back.

Malan_Power
03-24-16, 12:59 pm
Whats up Andrey!
I have a question about the sumo dead lift. Ive been working on belt-less sumo dead lifts for a while now and worked up to a single with 615. Ive never had any sticking points in my dead lift, but lately i have been developing one right above my knees. Have you ever experienced working through this? what kinds of exercises/which muscle groups should i work on? was thinking of block pulls right at my knees as well as hammering lower back.

you need to try to deadlift from the plints or boards ( barbell on them)
and dont go too often on heavy weights

P Diesel
03-24-16, 1:39 pm
Andrey. how often do you train your core? and do you prefer high volume or heavier weight?

P

Altered Beast
03-24-16, 2:00 pm
What are the differences between your off season training and training for a meet?

Malan_Power
05-12-16, 3:19 pm
Andrey. how often do you train your core? and do you prefer high volume or heavier weight?

P

i train core with simple curls on 12 reps with weights
ilike to train heavy

Malan_Power
05-12-16, 3:20 pm
What are the differences between your off season training and training for a meet?

when i'm off season i work on high volume
when i training for a meet the volume lowers but the weights get higher

Shim
05-23-16, 11:28 am
Hello Malan from USA! You're big motivation in my lifting and I follow you a lot. Congratulations on the new squat record as well.

I have two questions for you. First is about programming, how do you design your programming? Does it change from off season to out of season? How would you recommend someone learns about programming and how important is it?

Second, is what best for recovery. Both physical and mental. Sometimes with long work schedule and kids and everything else, the mind and body become fatigued, what's the best way around this?

Thankyou for taking the time to answer the questions!

Malan_Power
05-24-16, 3:28 pm
Hello Malan from USA! You're big motivation in my lifting and I follow you a lot. Congratulations on the new squat record as well.

I have two questions for you. First is about programming, how do you design your programming? Does it change from off season to out of season? How would you recommend someone learns about programming and how important is it?

Second, is what best for recovery. Both physical and mental. Sometimes with long work schedule and kids and everything else, the mind and body become fatigued, what's the best way around this?

Thank you for taking the time to answer the questions!

thank you man
sure it changes
off season - high volume
on season - low reps more weight
and i never do out off season - i always train) cause i like it!
The best "teacher" is practice :-) or just trust your jiurney to the coach cause this is really very serious and you should always train on different volume programms etc and not on yourself

eat a lot sleep a lot - this is how my recovery works
as for family issues - it is enough just to train. you cant give up everything for powerlifting. otherwise you'd be alone.

Altered Beast
05-25-16, 10:45 am
How's the pec tear coming along? Still can't believe you put up 1058 Squat, 507 Bench and an 893 Deadlift with a pec tear!!!

You may just be the first man to lift 2600 pounds RAW! I know that is a stretch, but I'm sure you're of the same opinion.

Malan_Power
05-26-16, 2:45 pm
How's the pec tear coming along? Still can't believe you put up 1058 Squat, 507 Bench and an 893 Deadlift with a pec tear!!!

You may just be the first man to lift 2600 pounds RAW! I know that is a stretch, but I'm sure you're of the same opinion.

thank you man !!! all the best to you too!
if i hadn't a trauma i will make 1150 kilos raw on May 1

mikezw
06-10-16, 12:19 pm
thank you man !!! all the best to you too!
if i hadn't a trauma i will make 1150 kilos raw on May 1

both and add slayer to these awesome groups!

Hey Andrey, huge fan over here from Canada. So when is your next competition and what is your goal for the total in your lifetime?

Zharoon
06-16-16, 8:19 pm
Do you write down exactly how many sets, reps and what weight you are gonna do, or do you go more by feeling. Like doing how many sets you feel like that particular day?

KongLuvs
06-17-16, 6:11 pm
Hello Andrey,
As my bench has gotten stronger and stronger, I have had to do much assistance work, like heavy rows, shoulder presses, face pulls, etc. It is a constant fight for me to keep my rotator cuffs healthy.

I have read and seen videos of past interviews with you and it sounds like you do not do many assistance exercises. How are you able to keep your shoulders healthy without any assistance exercises, especially with your impressive bench?

EthanBrooks
06-29-16, 11:41 am
Any tips for someone about to do their first meet? I have my first meet Saturday October 1st.

Alexey
06-30-16, 9:16 am
Hi Andrey! Are you planning to compete at the Boss of Bosses III in August?? If not, when is your next meet in the US?

in Russian: Привет, Андрей! Планируешь ли ты выступить на Boss of Bosses III в августе? если нет, то когда и где твои следующие соревнования в США?

Thank you!

Dmetti43
07-16-16, 7:51 pm
Is your training still very basic? Ex one day for squat, one day for deads, one day for bench?

Malan_Power
07-21-16, 12:16 pm
Do you write down exactly how many sets, reps and what weight you are gonna do, or do you go more by feeling. Like doing how many sets you feel like that particular day?

I ve got general plan for trainings but sure i rely in my feelings!

Malan_Power
07-21-16, 12:18 pm
Is your training still very basic? Ex one day for squat, one day for deads, one day for bench?

When I was young I was training 5-6 times a week doing a lot of basic sets and accesory sets
Now I think ive got a good base and can wor under basic movements only!
MON - squat
WED - bench
FRI - deadlift (1 in 2 weeks)
SAT - bench

Malan_Power
07-21-16, 12:19 pm
Hi Andrey! Are you planning to compete at the Boss of Bosses III in August?? If not, when is your next meet in the US?

in Russian: Привет, Андрей! Планируешь ли ты выступить на Boss of Bosses III в августе? если нет, то когда и где твои следующие соревнования в США?

Thank you!

Hey man
Unfourtanetally no - I m fully in prepping for BIG DOGS in October and I dont know when i come to US to compete!
I love US and i wish i could compete here nore often (and visit such a wonderful country!)

Malan_Power
07-21-16, 12:20 pm

P

Both weights and volume mate!

Malan_Power
07-21-16, 12:22 pm
Hey Andrey, huge fan over here from Canada. So when is your next competition and what is your goal for the total in your lifetime?

The next one will be in Melbourne
BIG DOGS october 26
I always want to lift more than I lifted before, no strict numbers

Malan_Power
07-21-16, 12:23 pm
Hello Andrey,
As my bench has gotten stronger and stronger, I have had to do much assistance work, like heavy rows, shoulder presses, face pulls, etc. It is a constant fight for me to keep my rotator cuffs healthy.

I have read and seen videos of past interviews with you and it sounds like you do not do many assistance exercises. How are you able to keep your shoulders healthy without any assistance exercises, especially with your impressive bench?

I have made a trong base doing a lot of accesory in the past
So you should do the same - do accessory it reaaly works

Malan_Power
07-21-16, 12:24 pm
Any tips for someone about to do their first meet? I have my first meet Saturday October 1st.

Never make big weights on attempts
begin with the weight which you can do in 3 reps in the gym
then add a little and again a little
and ENJOY every minute of it!

BoulderShoulders
08-01-16, 2:07 pm
What is the best powerlifting intermediate program

Flo
08-01-16, 3:39 pm
Hello Andrey, can you upload more training videos !! :-)

-What do you thing the best strength training program is for bench press for an intermediate level ?
- What is the type of program that you follow on BP ? on and off season.
- Your diet ? more about you...

Bye

DeadliftDan
08-01-16, 7:19 pm
Hey Andrey thanks for taking the time to answer questions. Really appreciate it! My question is do you use knee wraps for offseason training or do you squat without them? If you squat without them when do you start using them again?

anj
08-10-16, 10:12 pm
Hi Andrey! I'm a huge fan of your amazing lifts!
What is your favorite meal and/or your favorite dessert?

msharaf7
08-11-16, 9:04 pm
Hey malan, big fan. Whats the best advice you've ever been given?

Malan_Power
08-16-16, 7:06 am
What is the best powerlifting intermediate program

it all depends on what do you mean saying "intermediate"
anyway never begin your lifting journey alone - you need a good coach

Malan_Power
08-16-16, 7:12 am
Hello Andrey, can you upload more training videos !! :-)

-What do you thing the best strength training program is for bench press for an intermediate level ?
- What is the type of program that you follow on BP ? on and off season.
- Your diet ? more about you...

Bye

Look 4 my videos in ma instagram @andrey_malanichev

- there is no SUPER program for everyone! Your coach has to create one especially for you
- my BP programm is a part of full power program and it 's simple i just do hard meduim and light trainings. i dont have off season in general i always train on the same scheme but with different weights
- OMG i eat A LOT - the base is real food f e oatmeal and eggs on breakfast, then rice and meat and salad then some chocolate bars before training then rice or noodles or pasta with meet and salad. if i dont have time and i need more calories i eat at Mc Donalds

more about me - just ask and i answer

Malan_Power
08-16-16, 7:13 am
Hey Andrey thanks for taking the time to answer questions. Really appreciate it! My question is do you use knee wraps for offseason training or do you squat without them? If you squat without them when do you start using them again?

i always squat in the same apt knee wraps both on and off season
i begin wrapping from 170 kg

Malan_Power
08-16-16, 7:14 am
Hi Andrey! I'm a huge fan of your amazing lifts!
What is your favorite meal and/or your favorite dessert?

cheesecake :-)

meal - steak with potatoes

Malan_Power
08-16-16, 8:03 am
Hey malan, big fan. Whats the best advice you've ever been given?

Make a goal and move towards to it litttle by little step by step

Tyler Roy
09-02-16, 1:27 pm
You seem like a rather calm lifter compared to somebody like Zahir yelling "kill kill kill" before a big squat or something like that. Are you just holding that intensity in you or do you just not really need to get super intense?

Who also was your favorite lifter growing up? I know you're a big fan of Ed Coan.

Malan_Power
09-18-16, 3:24 pm
You seem like a rather calm lifter compared to somebody like Zahir yelling "kill kill kill" before a big squat or something like that. Are you just holding that intensity in you or do you just not really need to get super intense?

Who also was your favorite lifter growing up? I know you're a big fan of Ed Coan.

I have my own way of getting ready. It begins 2-3 weeks before the Meet - I just become very calm and go inside myself. And I try to stay that way on the platform too because I want to give my energy to the attempt

Ed Coan. GOAT forever and ever. LOVE HIM SO MUCH! Only with the help of him I became who I am now!

FullBore
09-18-16, 3:32 pm
When are you going to squat 500 KG ? I know you can do it.

Tyler Roy
09-20-16, 9:25 am
When I saw this video it was eye opening to what genuine happiness looks like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXReXuEkK0A

The GOAT is saying "you're the best, you're the big squatter" and Malan is just like nah you're the best haha. I've always respected your lifts but seeing how gracious and humble you are I respect you as a person.

mikezw
10-31-16, 9:17 pm
Hey Andrey, congratulations on your WR 485kg squat and your 1140kg total. So when exactly are you competing next? Can't wait to see you squat 500kg raw.

Universal Rep
11-01-16, 10:25 am

Soon?

Hey Andrey, congratulations on your WR 485kg squat and your 1140kg total. So when exactly are you competing next? Can't wait to see you squat 500kg raw.

Incredible performance. Congrats on the new World Records.

GunRock
11-01-16, 8:21 pm
I have my own way of getting ready. It begins 2-3 weeks before the Meet - I just become very calm and go inside myself. And I try to stay that way on the platform too because I want to give my energy to the attempt!

Great insight from such a great lifter.

Universal Rep
11-11-16, 9:52 am
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwdIsPsjvEs

Altered Beast
11-14-16, 10:01 am
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwdIsPsjvEs

EASY 1069! Has 500 kilos in him for sure and a 900 Deadlift as well.

Malan_Power
09-26-17, 2:50 am

hey man sorry for the late answer, simply lost my ID information)

you know squatting 500 kg with walkouts and from monolift is not the same at all.
it is very hard to make a proper walkouts, to fix your feet your back and make a movement.it take like 20 percent off your strength. if i had a possibility to train with monolift right now i would be squating 520 kg for sure because this thing make everything easier, you shouldnt waste your strength on walking with barbell and fixing your position.
but i dont have monolift that's why i continue training my squat from classic racks and still is trying to improve it

Malan_Power
09-26-17, 2:51 am
When I saw this video it was eye opening to what genuine happiness looks like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXReXuEkK0A

The GOAT is saying "you're the best, you're the big squatter" and Malan is just like nah you're the best haha. I've always respected your lifts but seeing how gracious and humble you are I respect you as a person.

thank you

i'm just a simple sportsman and i just do what i need to do to compete. powerlifting is not a showbusiness, people should recognize you by the records not all that fancy mess.

Malan_Power
09-26-17, 2:53 am

hi man
i will try to compete on Big Dogs -2 this year again.
not sure about 500 kg - it is very hard to do with walkouts! unfortunatelly i cant afford a monolift so making 500 kg is unpredictable

Malan_Power
01-08-18, 10:18 am
MERRY X-MAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!
Feel free to ask me any questions

RobDaSavage
01-08-18, 10:54 am

How many days before a meet do you use to accumulated to time change when competing over seas?

Altered Beast
01-08-18, 10:58 am

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

What does your typical peaking cycle look like 4 weeks out (or however long) before a meet?

Malan_Power
01-23-18, 3:29 am

What does your typical peaking cycle look like 4 weeks out (or however long) before a meet?

i peak earlier, 4 weeks out i do already deload!

Malan_Power
01-23-18, 3:12 pm

I cant tell you the exact scheme or schedule, everything varies from prep to prep, depending on my recovery and progress. BUT it is better to show less in the gym and save more for the platform

Malan_Power
01-23-18, 3:18 pm
This is how it started
my first official competition
i got nothing - no special shoes, no special singlet NOTHING but the will to compete

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIGHsPtAR0A/?taken-by=andrey_malanichev
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIGHo_Eglf5/?taken-by=andrey_malanichev

btw how to add photos to the post?

HeavyAssaultMode
04-16-18, 5:56 pm
This is how it started
i got nothing - no special shoes, no special singlet NOTHING but the will to compete

https://standontheshouldersofgiants.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/malanichev.jpg

HeavyAssaultMode
04-16-18, 6:06 pm
This is how it started

Hey Andrey,

As you can see above I followed the instructions for posting an image just like you did but it turns into a link you can click on.
If you want to include the image in your post you may need to do the following according to the FORVM FAQ:

"How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'."

Your account will need the "post attachments" privilege for this to work. You will probably need to contact the site administrator over this issue.