PDA

View Full Version : Working around a Boxer's Break ?

Envoy
12-11-13, 7:16 pm
Hopefully someone can help me out here, I have a break in my 5th metacarpal, down near the carpal. It has taken me a while to grip things, and awkward positions send pain coursing through my hand, I was wondering if anyone knows a way I can get around this, a way I can still lift. It has been broken since November 15th and I have let it rest for that period of time, but the inactivity is driving me crazy, any recommendations or ideas on how I can work around this ?

Cellardweller
12-12-13, 11:59 am
You should be healed up in the next 2-3 weeks. I'd just focus on lower body and use machines when you can. I know you want to train but if you fuck up your hand you could be out another 6 weeks. Play it safe for the long run.

MemCop
12-17-13, 8:53 am
I just got over the exact same injury, for the first few weeks I had to stay on the machines and use the inside of my palm near the thumb for most pressing movements. I was able to do some pulling movements so long as I had my pinky and ring finger extended. You need to have a day where you have nothing planned and just go there specifically to test out different exercises. I was "out" for 12 weeks, I was careful not to re injure my break. It can be done with a little attention and caution.

Also I had trouble for the longest using a barbell because of the static nature of the hand resting on the bar to distribute the weight evenly across the palm. Try a dumbbell out to get a feel for what I mean.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
12-17-13, 10:22 am
I had boxer's break my senior year of high school. Cinderblock walls win every time..

Anyways.. I just focused on lower body training for a few weeks. My arm/forearm atrophied some but came right back in a few months.