PDA

View Full Version : Rest periods

Jeppeehh
12-15-13, 5:04 pm
Hi guys, I am curious about how you see "resting", do you only have your normal rest days here and there or do you also put a week off, after a while to fully "recover" or let the body itself take it easy. Now as I've gotten this wrist pain/problem I'm thinking about taking 7 days off, except some squats. And see if it gets better.

rbowman91
12-16-13, 2:11 pm
Hi guys, I am curious about how you see "resting", do you only have your normal rest days here and there or do you also put a week off, after a while to fully "recover" or let the body itself take it easy. Now as I've gotten this wrist pain/problem I'm thinking about taking 7 days off, except some squats. And see if it gets better.

is it wrist pain or forearm pain? if it hurts, dont do it. but that is another issue.

to answer your question about resting, with my own experience: when i was bodybuilding i would take a full deload week every 12 weeks. during that period i would just do some light cardio, stretching, and some speedwork on movements. no major weight training. this allowed my body to catch up and fully recover. i also saw more size and strength gains after each deload.

for my current powerlifting routine: i do this same type of deload, every 4th week. this helps me a lot, as powerlifting seems to be much more taxing on my body. although the muscles recover every week, the joints and connective tissues take a little longer. the deload week helps me, and keeps me making progress without plateauing.

Jeppeehh
12-16-13, 2:45 pm
is it wrist pain or forearm pain? if it hurts, dont do it. but that is another issue.

to answer your question about resting, with my own experience: when i was bodybuilding i would take a full deload week every 12 weeks. during that period i would just do some light cardio, stretching, and some speedwork on movements. no major weight training. this allowed my body to catch up and fully recover. i also saw more size and strength gains after each deload.

for my current powerlifting routine: i do this same type of deload, every 4th week. this helps me a lot, as powerlifting seems to be much more taxing on my body. although the muscles recover every week, the joints and connective tissues take a little longer. the deload week helps me, and keeps me making progress without plateauing.

the wrist or the muscles on the inside of the forearm, to clench my fist and rotate my hand up o down hurts, even moving my thumb in / out. I'm sore somewhere in brachioradialis and flexor carpi radialis (inside of the forearm) Today it's even hurting to take out the egh box from the fridge and put it back :(
Okay sounds good!:) I think thats what I will do aswell, every 4th week either taking the whole week off or deload att max 60%

rbowman91
12-17-13, 11:35 am
the wrist or the muscles on the inside of the forearm, to clench my fist and rotate my hand up o down hurts, even moving my thumb in / out. I'm sore somewhere in brachioradialis and flexor carpi radialis (inside of the forearm) Today it's even hurting to take out the egh box from the fridge and put it back :(
Okay sounds good!:) I think thats what I will do aswell, every 4th week either taking the whole week off or deload att max 60%

yea the deload for me became a lot more essential when i started powerlifting.

i would see a sports medicine orthopedist about your forearm. i had the exact same problem when i first started training heavy.

are you training heavy? do you wear gloves/wraps a lot? for me, (and im not saying its the same for you), it turned out i was lifting heavier than my weak ass forearms could handle. i spent weeks and months trying to work around that pain (it was in my flexors and extensors, down the forearm. felt like a sharp pain near the bone when i would grab a barbell). i also had worn gloves/wraps for a long time and that caused my flexors and extensors to be weak. i now dont use either.

i saw a doc and he basically told me it was just weak. i started using the pvc pipe roller exercise for my forearms, and they got better in literally a week. turns out they were just not caught up with everything else.

i would back off anything that causes the inflammation and take some anti inflamatorys. onc eagain: im NOT a doctor. im just telling you what happened to me.

Jeppeehh
12-17-13, 12:30 pm
yea the deload for me became a lot more essential when i started powerlifting.

i would see a sports medicine orthopedist about your forearm. i had the exact same problem when i first started training heavy.

are you training heavy? do you wear gloves/wraps a lot? for me, (and im not saying its the same for you), it turned out i was lifting heavier than my weak ass forearms could handle. i spent weeks and months trying to work around that pain (it was in my flexors and extensors, down the forearm. felt like a sharp pain near the bone when i would grab a barbell). i also had worn gloves/wraps for a long time and that caused my flexors and extensors to be weak. i now dont use either.

i saw a doc and he basically told me it was just weak. i started using the pvc pipe roller exercise for my forearms, and they got better in literally a week. turns out they were just not caught up with everything else.

i would back off anything that causes the inflammation and take some anti inflamatorys. onc eagain: im NOT a doctor. im just telling you what happened to me.

Well yeah except that it's been broken years ago (im 18 atm) I had some problem with it like, 1 year ago maybe and I bought those wrist wraps and started using them, a lot... for almost everything and all sets so it's so suprise that it has left me weak and I've been using them less those last weeks so.. :/ But when you say, stay away from everything that causing the inflammation I don't really know, I mean.. how do I know what I should do or not, can't be good to press in any way or grip so. Anyway I will take this week off, see if it get's better and only do frontsquats/other leg exercises that won't require gripping or anything. Wish I could get my hands on a pipe-roller! Only have hand grippers at home. Thank you very much for your answers both resting and about the wrist problem. I gotta go to a doc if it's not better next week. (would be a disaster to not train during the holiday)

rbowman91
12-17-13, 4:30 pm
Well yeah except that it's been broken years ago (im 18 atm) I had some problem with it like, 1 year ago maybe and I bought those wrist wraps and started using them, a lot... for almost everything and all sets so it's so suprise that it has left me weak and I've been using them less those last weeks so.. :/ But when you say, stay away from everything that causing the inflammation I don't really know, I mean.. how do I know what I should do or not, can't be good to press in any way or grip so. Anyway I will take this week off, see if it get's better and only do frontsquats/other leg exercises that won't require gripping or anything. Wish I could get my hands on a pipe-roller! Only have hand grippers at home. Thank you very much for your answers both resting and about the wrist problem. I gotta go to a doc if it's not better next week. (would be a disaster to not train during the holiday)

ive had to learn from many injuries, including something very similar to what you're describing. what i mean is: if it hurts, dont do it. period. pain is an alarm system. anyone who tells you to "train through pain" like that is fucking retarded. obviously we have minor aches and pains all the time based on what we do. if i have a minor nagging pain, i know when to train anyway. but if i have something like you're describing, (which i've had), i have to let the irritation go down, and THEN address the problem.

and honestly bro if you're only 18 and still living with your folks (im just making an assumption) and are under their health insurance plan, theres really no reason NOT to see a doctor. thats what i did.

example: i STILL get some forearm flare up of pain every couple months. tihs usually happens from heavy pressing movements when im NOT training my forearms directly. not everyone has to train forearms. but i found that i need to, in order to press heavy. i also do lots of deadlifts (without straps) and even farmers carries. anything to keep my forearms strong and keep that pain away. i found that for me, the answer was simple: get stronger.

remember: we train around injuries, never through them. learn your body and dont do anything youre gonna regret down the road. its a marathon, not a sprint!

Rex
12-24-13, 6:43 pm

I take one day a week off. If that... Sometimes I just skip the offday and start my rotation of bodyparts over again.
I think I would loose my sanity not training for a full week...

If youīre having pain in an area, you should figure out what causes the problem. Sitting around, hoping for the pain to vanish and later going back to your old habits will only lead to the same outcome... pain.

Rex
12-24-13, 6:52 pm

This sounds like a so called "Golferīs Elbow". Iīve had the same issue before.
With a little patience itīs easy to fix. Treatment involves stretching and light training of the forearm muslces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuj8YLAHZVg

You should also get Active Release Therapy! Works wonders, Iīm telling you. Totally worth every penny...

http://www.activerelease.com/