PDA

View Full Version : Old school and basic

LiveFast
12-20-13, 7:04 pm
A few weeks ago I felt I needed a change in my training regimen. I was working out 4 times a week hitting each body part once per week. I was having an urge to change things up so I took a week off and started doing something completely different from what I was used to. I changed my training regimen to the following: Monday/Thursday-abs, chest, back, shoulders Tuesday/Friday-abs, legs, bis, tris, forearms. Saturday and Sunday I go for a walk or a bike ride for a few miles. Nutrition is the bare essentials. Eggs, beef, chicken, tuna, rice ,potatoes, fruit, salads, pasta, cottage cheese and milk. Taking pak, flex, omega, rage xl, real gains, liver tabs. Recovery has been great so far. My best friends are foam rollers and racquet balls. Arms I might change to once per week. My muscles are much fuller and rounder but I'm a lot more lean and feel great and healthy. I'm only doing two basic exercises per part but balls to the wall.every fourth week I'll do mon, wed, fri circuits. Don't be afraid of change. Sometimes it's for the best.

In Flames
12-22-13, 11:15 am
A few weeks ago I felt I needed a change in my training regimen. I was working out 4 times a week hitting each body part once per week. I was having an urge to change things up so I took a week off and started doing something completely different from what I was used to. I changed my training regimen to the following: Monday/Thursday-abs, chest, back, shoulders Tuesday/Friday-abs, legs, bis, tris, forearms. Saturday and Sunday I go for a walk or a bike ride for a few miles. Nutrition is the bare essentials. Eggs, beef, chicken, tuna, rice ,potatoes, fruit, salads, pasta, cottage cheese and milk. Taking pak, flex, omega, rage xl, real gains, liver tabs. Recovery has been great so far. My best friends are foam rollers and racquet balls. Arms I might change to once per week. My muscles are much fuller and rounder but I'm a lot more lean and feel great and healthy. I'm only doing two basic exercises per part but balls to the wall.every fourth week I'll do mon, wed, fri circuits. Don't be afraid of change. Sometimes it's for the best.

Old school style is the only way I train. I always Superset Chest & Back, Shoulders, Arms, and sometimes Legs. My split is set-up similar to yours, Mon/Thurs, Tues/Fri. Higher volume with short rest periods and supersets in the 8-15 rep range like all the old greats, Serge Nubret, Danny Padilla, Gironda, Arnold, Franco, Ferrigno, Francis Benfatto, Bob Paris, Mohamed Makkawy, etc.

Here's the link to the thread where we talked about this style of training.
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?41376-Greek-God-Old-School-Pro-s

JHOORNSTRA
12-22-13, 2:45 pm
I love old school...worked for years for a reason. I still use a ton of old school methods in my training.

Rex
12-25-13, 9:29 pm

I am a big Proponent of old school/Arnold type training, too. I work out 6-7 days a week, every bodypart at least twice, splitted into two sessions per day... I rely exculsively on whole food. No shakes. Of course I Supplement with PAK, OMEGA, FLEX, NITRO, liver etc.

And it works!

Thatīs the most important thing.

It seems like you have found something that works for you, too. So donīt change or second guess it! Just enjoy your progress, Bro.

G Diesel
12-26-13, 9:16 am
I love old school...worked for years for a reason. I still use a ton of old school methods in my training.

Amen to that. Me too.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Peace, G

spartan300
12-26-13, 10:56 am
Old school for me was hitting each body part at least twice a week with no less than 25 to 30 sets each. Calves and abs were included at every training session. 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year! We trained on holidays, bar mitsvahs, funerals, weddings you name it missing training was not tolerated if you didn't show up you had better have found a new place to train or died because you were not welcomed back. I always maintained a rock hard 186 lbs. and woke up everyday with abs. During this time my weight never really fluctuated I basically competed two to three times a month and won more times than not. It was not until the late 70's that I decided to switch things up and train 4 days a week. The extra recovery time saw me go from 186 to 212 in a matter of a year! No drugs! I eventually made it up to 222 lbs. at a height of 5'6 it was about all the mass my frame could handle naturally.

Swolepez
12-26-13, 11:45 am
Old school for me was hitting each body part at least twice a week with no less than 25 to 30 sets each. Calves and abs were included at every training session. 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year! We trained on holidays, bar mitsvahs, funerals, weddings you name it missing training was not tolerated if you didn't show up you had better have found a new place to train or died because you were not welcomed back. I always maintained a rock hard 186 lbs. and woke up everyday with abs. During this time my weight never really fluctuated I basically competed two to three times a month and won more times than not. It was not until the late 70's that I decided to switch things up and train 4 days a week. The extra recovery time saw me go from 186 to 212 in a matter of a year! No drugs! I eventually made it up to 222 lbs. at a height of 5'6 it was about all the mass my frame could handle naturally.

Same as you, use to train 6x times a week and every body part 2x a week and never got past 190lbs. I just recently went to a 4 day split for the past 5-6 months and I'm now 207lbs at 5'7.

I'm not saying the old school split can work but for me less days, more recovery, less volume, more intensity = more gains for me.

In Flames
12-26-13, 11:50 am

Awesome post! That's what the Old School image was all about though, looking like a Greek God or a perfectly sculpted statue of art. It was not about mass and how big you can get. Nubret called it "cosmetic bodybuilding". I would put Serge Nubret, Mohamed Makkawy's, Frank Zane, Rick Wayne or any of the Gironda disciples physique up against any current pro any day of the week. Their much more aesthetically pleasing looking to the eye.

LiveFast
12-26-13, 5:34 pm
Same as you, use to train 6x times a week and every body part 2x a week and never got past 190lbs. I just recently went to a 4 day split for the past 5-6 months and I'm now 207lbs at 5'7.

I'm not saying the old school split can work but for me less days, more recovery, less volume, more intensity = more gains for me.

And that's the beauty of the sport bro. There's no one program or one diet that works for everyone. We find what we need and constantly keep adding to it.

spartan300
12-27-13, 8:14 am
Evolving constantly.

Rex
12-28-13, 6:49 pm
And that's the beauty of the sport bro. There's no one program or one diet that works for everyone. We find what we need and constantly keep adding to it.

Youīre right. Just imagine how boring bodybuilding would be if there was only one diet and training program that worked for everyone, and everybody following this "Master Routine"
would get the exact same results.

It would take all the fun out if the journey...