PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on approaching post workout meals

Joseph V
12-20-13, 7:09 pm
I often think that some people can better assimilate protein better then carbs and for those, they can grow pretty easily on the old school high protein low carb approach. Then you have those who can do the opposite in which they grow on moderate protein but high carbs. Of course you have the in between people which I have to assume are the ectomorph guys/gals that need to eat everything in sight to scrap what weight they can obtain. Me on the other hand I know for sure I cant eat everything in sight. I still have to find pretty much what works for me, but so far in the 5 years of lifting seriously, only in the last 1 year and a half I have been seriously accounting for what i have been eating. I honestly enjoy just having steak and eggs as an example after my workout. I also dont really feel that I have to eat 30-45 post workout, the old school method where frank zane says that post workout window is much much longer then what people realize it is. I'll state that Iwont lie my ass off by saying i eat for example just steak and eggs, because if i want 4 cookies to add on to that im having it! lol.

Swolepez
12-20-13, 7:32 pm
I often think that some people can better assimilate protein better then carbs and for those, they can grow pretty easily on the old school high protein low carb approach. Then you have those who can do the opposite in which they grow on moderate protein but high carbs. Of course you have the in between people which I have to assume are the ectomorph guys/gals that need to eat everything in sight to scrap what weight they can obtain. Me on the other hand I know for sure I cant eat everything in sight. I still have to find pretty much what works for me, but so far in the 5 years of lifting seriously, only in the last 1 year and a half I have been seriously accounting for what i have been eating. I honestly enjoy just having steak and eggs as an example after my workout. I also dont really feel that I have to eat 30-45 post workout, the old school method where frank zane says that post workout window is much much longer then what people realize it is. I'll state that Iwont lie my ass off by saying i eat for example just steak and eggs, because if i want 4 cookies to add on to that im having it! lol.

Well I was using Torrent post workout and was eating a meal an hr later but now had to change due to Torrent not digesting in my stomach well. Personally I'm more of a endomorph so I keep my carbs moderate and protein high. But with that said I still try to get carbs in post workout when I believe my muscles will use them better. So after Christmas I will start using Nitro again and 20 mins later: 2 scoops Universal Ultra Whey Pro in 2 cups 1% chocolate milk. That way I get high protein but still some carbs. I will probably eat chx and rice and hour or so after the shake as well

Joseph V
12-20-13, 7:53 pm
Well I was using Torrent post workout and was eating a meal an hr later but now had to change due to Torrent not digesting in my stomach well. Personally I'm more of a endomorph so I keep my carbs moderate and protein high. But with that said I still try to get carbs in post workout when I believe my muscles will use them better. So after Christmas I will start using Nitro again and 20 mins later: 2 scoops Universal Ultra Whey Pro in 2 cups 1% chocolate milk. That way I get high protein but still some carbs. I will probably eat chx and rice and hour or so after the shake as well

Thats great man, I think if it works for you then nobody can argue it, especially the results. For me, I take the advice from evan centopani that most of the carbs taken in should be solid complex carbs, post workout ill a little coke zero or even diet sunkest for the simple quick carbs. Things change all the time, because I'm not in a set meal schedule nor do i intend to ever be in one if im not dialing in for a certain competition. This is just me but I enjoy adding some soy sauce to my meals often as well

Swolepez
12-20-13, 9:12 pm
Thats great man, I think if it works for you then nobody can argue it, especially the results. For me, I take the advice from evan centopani that most of the carbs taken in should be solid complex carbs, post workout ill a little coke zero or even diet sunkest for the simple quick carbs. Things change all the time, because I'm not in a set meal schedule nor do i intend to ever be in one if im not dialing in for a certain competition. This is just me but I enjoy adding some soy sauce to my meals often as well

My post workout chocolate milk is the only simple carbs I will be taking: the rest of my carbs will be complex as well: oats, brown rice, potatoes. But obviously with Halloween, thanksgiving, and Christmas: my carb choices haven't been the best or theist com

Swolepez
12-20-13, 9:21 pm
My post workout chocolate milk is the only simple carbs I will be taking: the rest of my carbs will be complex as well: oats, brown rice, potatoes. But obviously with Halloween, thanksgiving, and Christmas: my carb choices haven't been the best or theist com

Sorry didn't finish my post:

My post workout chocolate milk is the only simple carbs I will be taking: the rest of my carbs will be complex as well: oats, brown rice, potatoes. But obviously with Halloween, thanksgiving, and Christmas: my carb choices haven't been the best or the most complex. Lol.

I'm not using sauces but I've been using seasonings a lot lately. I'm getting over the idea that chx/protein has to be completely bland to have a great body. Im starting to realize that you can eat healthy but enjoy it at the same time.

Joseph V
12-20-13, 9:40 pm
Sorry didn't finish my post:

My post workout chocolate milk is the only simple carbs I will be taking: the rest of my carbs will be complex as well: oats, brown rice, potatoes. But obviously with Halloween, thanksgiving, and Christmas: my carb choices haven't been the best or the most complex. Lol.

I'm not using sauces but I've been using seasonings a lot lately. I'm getting over the idea that chx/protein has to be completely bland to have a great body. Im starting to realize that you can eat healthy but enjoy it at the same time.

look up a bodybuilder called dusty hanshaw cooks flank steak. When you see it, the only thing i do differently is how well its cooked. he does it medium rare, but i cook it fully

Rex
12-21-13, 7:07 pm
I donīt have a postworkout shake. I take 3 paks of NITRO with 10gr of Glutamine, drive home and within 45min. have a whole food meal that contains at least 150gr of carbs and 75gr of protein. Very low fat...
Right now thatīs eggwhites, rice cakes and oats or buckwheat.

I have a very fast meatbolism though. You might want to take it easier on the carbs.

Swolepez
12-22-13, 4:44 pm
look up a bodybuilder called dusty hanshaw cooks flank steak. When you see it, the only thing i do differently is how well its cooked. he does it medium rare, but i cook it fully

I've seen his videos before, but never a cooking one.... Thanks bro, I will definitely look it up!

Swolepez
12-22-13, 4:47 pm
I donīt have a postworkout shake. I take 3 paks of NITRO with 10gr of Glutamine, drive home and within 45min. have a whole food meal that contains at least 150gr of carbs and 75gr of protein. Very low fat...

I have a very fast meatbolism though. You might want to take it easier on the carbs.

I'm gonna start using Nitro again during the new year as my post workout instead of Torrent. I may have to add glutamine as well.

Bruiser
12-22-13, 6:05 pm
Hahaha. This is where I get yelled at. My pwo? 32 oz chocolate whole milk, 5 McDoubles and a 1/4 cup pancake syrup.

Rex
12-22-13, 7:03 pm
I'm gonna start using Nitro again during the new year as my post workout instead of Torrent. I may have to add glutamine as well.

You wonīt regret it. Nitro is the best amino acid product I have ever taken. Period. I think the glutamine will additionally help your progress.

Why not have a serving of torrent and wash down 2 packets of Nitro and 10gr of glutamine along with it?

Rex
12-22-13, 7:04 pm
Hahaha. This is where I get yelled at. My pwo? 32 oz chocolate whole milk, 5 McDoubles and a 1/4 cup pancake syrup.

Bro, whatever works for you, keep doing it. lol

Swolepez
12-22-13, 7:17 pm
Why not have a serving of torrent and wash down 2 packets of Nitro and 10gr of glutamine along with it?

Bc unfortunately Torrent gives me the runs....... I'm going to look into the glutamine though.....also I might have to stick to just 1 pack of Nitro post Bc that's all my budget allows for right now.

Joseph V
12-23-13, 2:36 am
Bc unfortunately Torrent gives me the runs....... I'm going to look into the glutamine though.....also I might have to stick to just 1 pack of Nitro post Bc that's all my budget allows for right now.

BCAA's is not necessarily in my opinion a NEED type of thing, but do what i do sometimes and just go for "L-Leucine" if your on a budget like me..I wonder if universal has a product specifically for that amino? since it is the most anabolic of all the BCAA's

Swolepez
12-23-13, 11:01 am
BCAA's is not necessarily in my opinion a NEED type of thing, but do what i do sometimes and just go for "L-Leucine" if your on a budget like me..I wonder if universal has a product specifically for that amino? since it is the most anabolic of all the BCAA's

Torrent had 8 grams of Leucine per serving but I don't believe they have just a leucine product....that would be a nice product for them to have though...... Nitro has the human protein complex though

N. Motta
12-23-13, 3:34 pm

So what's the theory behind such an over the top intake?

Because it sure isn't for health, physique or disease prevention.

Joseph V
12-25-13, 11:48 pm
So what's the theory behind such an over the top intake?

Because it sure isn't for health, physique or disease prevention.

I can do the 32 oz milk but the 5 mcdoubles..im gonna need a couple "TUMS" for that lol!

G Diesel
12-26-13, 9:11 am

Coke Zero and Diet Sunkist don't have any carbs bro. And generally, the fully leaded versions of these sodas are made with high fructose corn syrup (at least in the States) which also is not an ideal source of simple carbs.

Like a machine.

Haha. Damn son. That is crazy. I like all that stuff, but if I eat it after I train, I'm gonna feel too guilty.

Peace, G

Big Wides
12-26-13, 9:55 am
What I've been doing recently is 40g of IsoWhey, 40g Carbs, 5gs of creatine. To me this helps since it is a quick digesting form of protein and carbs that replenishes glycogen. It also let's me consume quality whole foods 45 minutes PWO, which that meal is 10oz protein, 4 cups of leafy greens, 1/2 cup of rice and broc.

G Diesel
12-26-13, 10:04 am
What I've been doing recently is 40g of IsoWhey, 40g Carbs, 5gs of creatine. To me this helps since it is a quick digesting form of protein and carbs that replenishes glycogen. It also let's me consume quality whole foods 45 minutes PWO, which that meal is 10oz protein, 4 cups of leafy greens, 1/2 cup of rice and broc.

Love that. Very similar to what I do. Uni-Syn w/ Gatorade and 5g of creatine. Perfect.

Peace, G

Chop
12-27-13, 3:57 am
Right after training I have a post workout shake. This always contains 50g of Whey Protein and 40g Dextrose Sugar mixed with water. Then, no more than an hour later, I eat my staple of Grilled Chicken (50g protein), White Rice (70g carbs) and Broccoli mixed with a little Stubb's BBQ Sauce for taste. I like Stubb's because there is no High Fructose Corn Syrup.

On a heavy Leg day, I might swap the Grilled Chicken for Sirloin Steak and 86 the BBQ Sauce. Man, I love eating like fucking King!

Chop

pbr
01-13-14, 7:43 pm
Here's my current (newbie) approach. After about a year of HIIT, I've switched to weightlifting and am really feeling the strain. So, right after workout I take Nitro and drive home. About 30-40min after the Nitro, I eat eggs, oatmeal with some blueberries in it, take some Flex and wash it all down with 1% chocolate milk. I fast part of the day and train at night, so this is my last meal of the day and I want the slow stuff for the night recovery.