PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shoulder Pain with Chest Exercises

71bbo455
12-27-13, 7:28 pm
Hey guys have taken some time off from training. I have recently gotten back into it. Am 42yo male with no medical problems. Have had right shoulder surgery over 15 years ago. Mild rotator cuff tear and several bone spurs removed. Have never been strong on chest especially bench and incline. Used to be able to dumbbell bench better than barbell. For the past few years have been experiencing right rear shoulder pain when doing all chest exercises. That is one of the things that made me take some time off. For that past few months have been concentrating on band work for shoulder rehab. Really strengthening the rotator cuffs and stabilizing muscles of the shoulder. Almost no shoulder pain anymore. Today I decided to start doing some chest. Did a few light sets of incline barbell followed by a few light sets of dumbbell flat bench. Right rear shoulder pain, not bad, but there lurking. Then did some light, 5 and 10 lb, incline fly. That bothered my shoulder even more. Have seen my doc in the past and nothing is wrong with shoulder according to him. Anyone else experience this. Feels like a knife going in just lower outside of scapula. Getting frustrated. Need to train and get back into a shape that can make me feel strong and healthy again.

LiveFast
12-27-13, 8:50 pm
Hey guys have taken some time off from training. I have recently gotten back into it. Am 42yo male with no medical problems. Have had right shoulder surgery over 15 years ago. Mild rotator cuff tear and several bone spurs removed. Have never been strong on chest especially bench and incline. Used to be able to dumbbell bench better than barbell. For the past few years have been experiencing right rear shoulder pain when doing all chest exercises. That is one of the things that made me take some time off. For that past few months have been concentrating on band work for shoulder rehab. Really strengthening the rotator cuffs and stabilizing muscles of the shoulder. Almost no shoulder pain anymore. Today I decided to start doing some chest. Did a few light sets of incline barbell followed by a few light sets of dumbbell flat bench. Right rear shoulder pain, not bad, but there lurking. Then did some light, 5 and 10 lb, incline fly. That bothered my shoulder even more. Have seen my doc in the past and nothing is wrong with shoulder according to him. Anyone else experience this. Feels like a knife going in just lower outside of scapula. Getting frustrated. Need to train and get back into a shape that can make me feel strong and healthy again.

I always foam roll before my chest and shoulder workout. Also use a raquetball to massage the rear delt area. Aside from that dress in layers to keep the area warm and thoroughly warm up with bands. Ice post workout. If this persists, try focusing on strengthening the rear delts and back with rows, face pulls, and rear delt flyes. Let us know how it works out for you bro. Good luck and safe lifting.

Rex
12-28-13, 6:42 pm
I always foam roll before my chest and shoulder workout. Also use a raquetball to massage the rear delt area. Aside from that dress in layers to keep the area warm and thoroughly warm up with bands. Ice post workout. If this persists, try focusing on strengthening the rear delts and back with rows, face pulls, and rear delt flyes. Let us know how it works out for you bro. Good luck and safe lifting.

LiveFast is right on. You should take all these precautions. Better safe than sorry...

I have no idea what´s going on with your shoulder. Did you get an MRI done? You should probably acquire the opinion of a second doc...

71bbo455
12-29-13, 3:43 pm

I haven't done face pulls. I'm assuming that's just a row up to the face instead of the chest or stomach? Also what do you do with the foam roll? I just bought one but just use it for massage stuff. Thanks.

N. Motta
12-29-13, 3:45 pm
You got another bone spur.

71bbo455
12-29-13, 8:19 pm
You got another bone spur.

That would suck. Not fun getting surgery again. But I'll try the strengthening route longer and see if it gets better. If not back to another doc.

JHOORNSTRA
01-03-14, 2:16 pm
I always incorporate preventative or rehab exercises in for chest. I usually do throughout the week facepulls (and yes, a row to the face but eye level from the start with a rope on cable machine), ITY's, scalpula retractions, around the world's, etc. Those aux. muscles will haunt you if not trained enough and can only make you feel more solid on the bench. Good luck...if gets worse...MRI for sure. Better safe than sorry.

71bbo455
01-03-14, 7:03 pm
I always incorporate preventative or rehab exercises in for chest. I usually do throughout the week facepulls (and yes, a row to the face but eye level from the start with a rope on cable machine), ITY's, scalpula retractions, around the world's, etc. Those aux. muscles will haunt you if not trained enough and can only make you feel more solid on the bench. Good luck...if gets worse...MRI for sure. Better safe than sorry.

Went to see the doc today. X-rays to start, no MRI yet. Have a spot in my socket that is missing due to shoulder dislocations in past years. Causing some instability in the joint. Need to rehab for weeks and see what happens. Might have a tear in biceps tendon on the scapula. If rehab doesn't improve it then contrast MRI. Will keep in touch and let you guys know how I am doing. J I already do all but around the worlds. What are those?

JHOORNSTRA
01-03-14, 7:30 pm
Went to see the doc today. X-rays to start, no MRI yet. Have a spot in my socket that is missing due to shoulder dislocations in past years. Causing some instability in the joint. Need to rehab for weeks and see what happens. Might have a tear in biceps tendon on the scapula. If rehab doesn't improve it then contrast MRI. Will keep in touch and let you guys know how I am doing. J I already do all but around the worlds. What are those?

That sucks, the MRI will at least tell you if you have torn the bicep tendon. I'm assuming it would be a partial tear as you can still move it...if it was torn, you wouldn't be able to turn hand over almost at all...I dealt with that this past year...sucks...I fit great in an MRI machine. They had to send me to a big one because I didn't come close to fitting...good luck anyway...here's a link for around the world's...I use a 45 lb plate and do 3 sets...15 in one direction, 15 in the other, and then 15 front raises with it is one set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rza8CiisZg

71bbo455
01-03-14, 11:18 pm
That sucks, the MRI will at least tell you if you have torn the bicep tendon. I'm assuming it would be a partial tear as you can still move it...if it was torn, you wouldn't be able to turn hand over almost at all...I dealt with that this past year...sucks...I fit great in an MRI machine. They had to send me to a big one because I didn't come close to fitting...good luck anyway...here's a link for around the world's...I use a 45 lb plate and do 3 sets...15 in one direction, 15 in the other, and then 15 front raises with it is one set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rza8CiisZg

Yeah if it is a tear it's only partial. Looked at that exercise. That looks awesome. Won't be able to use a 45lb plate for now. But I'll start light and see how it helps. If I get any other good one's from PT I'll forward them on for you.

JHOORNSTRA
01-04-14, 7:45 am
Yeah if it is a tear it's only partial. Looked at that exercise. That looks awesome. Won't be able to use a 45lb plate for now. But I'll start light and see how it helps. If I get any other good one's from PT I'll forward them on for you.

Cool, good luck man.