PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifting headaches

BigJake
01-09-14, 7:30 pm
Im looking for any help on this issue. For some odd reason I have been getting serious headaches when I deadlift heavy. Over 315. The pain starts at the back of my skull and is pretty painful. I cant train at all the rest of the day. Someone please tell me theyve havd this problem. I cant find a clear answer anywhere!

Keosawa
01-10-14, 9:19 pm
My girlfriend gets migraines that are triggered by training; though not directly related to your issue, we spent a bit of time trying to look at how head and neck position might be influencing her issues.

I'm not going to pretend to have an answer for you, but if you're throwing your chin up and back, as opposed to packing your neck, you could be placing pressure on your cervical spine and causing your headaches by producing a lot of tension in the scalene muscles on the sides of your neck. Try regular trigger-point therapy on any sensitive areas around your scalenes and the top of your traps; chances are, something's agitated, and you just have to find it.

It could also just be that you're holding your breath more than is necessary, but I'd first look at head position. Again, try finding sensitive spots around your scalenes and the tops of your traps, and work on them for a while. Take a look at your head position while deadlifting and try pulling with a neutral head--pack your neck and force a double-chin instead of throwing your head up (I don't know how you deadlift; this is just a guess on my part).

Hope that helps.

BigJake
01-10-14, 9:28 pm
Thanks a lot brother, I will try all of you suggestions. I need to fix this ASAP!

My girlfriend gets migraines that are triggered by training; though not directly related to

your issue, we spent a bit of time trying to look at how head and neck position might be influencing her issues.

I'm not going to pretend to have an answer for you, but if you're throwing your chin up and back, as opposed to packing your neck, you could be placing pressure on your cervical spine and causing your headaches by producing a lot of tension in the scalene muscles on the sides of your neck. Try regular trigger-point therapy on any sensitive areas around your scalenes and the top of your traps; chances are, something's agitated, and you just have to find it.

It could also just be that you're holding your breath more than is necessary, but I'd first look at head position. Again, try finding sensitive spots around your scalenes and the tops of your traps, and work on them for a while. Take a look at your head position while deadlifting and try pulling with a neutral head--pack your neck and force a double-chin instead of throwing your head up (I don't know how you deadlift; this is just a guess on my part).

Hope that helps.

Phil800101
01-10-14, 10:17 pm
My first guess would be breathing, or lack thereof. Second guess would be clenching your teeth.

Make sure you're not holding your breath, and that you're well oxygenated before you pull.

As for the teeth, do you wear a mouthguard? I use one whenever I lift heavy, not only to protect my teeth but also because there is an added benefit to being able to clench down as you pull/lift.

And like Keosawa said, head position could definitely have something to do with it.

deanna7272
01-10-14, 10:28 pm
I had the same issue a while back, but I was squatting... I have migraines, non lifting related... (had one today as a matter of fact) but NOTHING like that before... I swear, I thought it was an aneurysm ... It scared the crap out of me... My doc just said that I may have pinched a vessel because of the change in my head positioning during my squat on that particular day... I have also heard of this happening to guys on leg press, bringing the head forward off the pad...

I would definitely make your physician aware of it... just to be safe...

Rex
01-11-14, 7:34 pm
My first guess would be breathing, or lack thereof. Second guess would be clenching your teeth.

Make sure you're not holding your breath, and that you're well oxygenated before you pull.

As for the teeth, do you wear a mouthguard? I use one whenever I lift heavy, not only to protect my teeth but also because there is an added benefit to being able to clench down as you pull/lift.

And like Keosawa said, head position could definitely have something to do with it.

I´ve had the exact same problem with headaches. Especially donig heavy leg workouts...

Phil pretty much wrote what I would have given you as advice. Breathing, mouth guard, head position...

Jay Nera
02-21-14, 12:40 am
I´ve had the exact same problem with headaches. Especially donig heavy leg workouts...

Phil pretty much wrote what I would have given you as advice. Breathing, mouth guard, head position...

Sometimes this has to do with tensing of the trapezius and neck muscles.

These msucles spasm and many of them connect at the skull.