PDA

View Full Version : How to pick starting poundage

BigJake
01-14-14, 7:17 pm
I have a meet coming up feb 22. It will be my first meet (doing 5/3/1). Im having alot of gains from it. How do I pick my starting weights for the meet? Im 235lbs. So far these are my maxs. Bench 335, dead 450, squat 405. Any ideas???

GunRock
01-23-14, 3:50 pm
I have a meet coming up feb 22. It will be my first meet (doing 5/3/1). Im having alot of gains from it. How do I pick my starting weights for the meet? Im 235lbs. So far these are my maxs. Bench 335, dead 450, squat 405. Any ideas???

Hey Jake,
I'm far from being as experienced as Brandon or some of the others on here but I've competed a few times in SPF meets and done okay in my age/weight class (I'm 40 years old if it matters) and the guideline I always use is my opener is always something I know I could nail on a bad day. You don't want to bomb out and if you miss you can't go down, so I'd say, go with your three to five rep max erring on the side of caution. After you're on the board, you can elect to go with your gym max or some other number, then go for it on your third attempt.

Also I don't advise for your first meet trying to program specifically for the meet especially since you're less than a month away. I'd just follow your normal programming and be sure to practice your opener about two weeks prior to the meet and again the week before. I never lift the week of the meet.

I think that the most important thing for your first meet is to have fun and relax as much as possible while trying to pick the brains of the more experienced lifters as you get the opportunity.

I hope that helps and good luck.

fattmatt
01-23-14, 6:02 pm

At my first meet coming off of 8 cycles of 5/3/1 I picked a weight I could hit for a triple. My ultimate goal was to go 9/9 though not shatter any PRs mainly because it was my first time. You could hit 90% of your training max. That way you know you could hit it for a triple on a 3's week of 5/3/1, and you already know you are stronger than your training max anyways. I still recommend shooting for no missed attempts that way you have supreme confidence. Don't be afraid to leave some in tank.

BigJake
01-23-14, 6:25 pm
Very good, thats what ive been hearing. Dont feel bad im 32 yrs old. Ive been a bbr for 13 yrs and just recently started powerlifting this year.

Hey Jake,

I'm far from being as experienced as Brandon or some of the others on here but I've competed a few times in SPF meets and done okay in my age/weight class (I'm 40 years old if it matters) and the guideline I always use is my opener is always something I know I could nail on a bad day. You don't want to bomb out and if you miss you can't go down, so I'd say, go with your three to five rep max erring on the side of caution. After you're on the board, you can elect to go with your gym max or some other number, then go for it on your third attempt.

Also I don't advise for your first meet trying to program specifically for the meet especially since you're less than a month away. I'd just follow your normal programming and be sure to practice your opener about two weeks prior to the meet and again the week before. I never lift the week of the meet.

I think that the most important thing for your first meet is to have fun and relax as much as possible while trying to pick the brains of the more experienced lifters as you get the opportunity.

I hope that helps and good luck.

BigJake
01-23-14, 6:28 pm
Sounds like a plan. My stats in case you were wondering...6'2" 240lbs. Dead PR 450, bench PR 400 squat pr 350.

At my first meet coming off of 8 cycles of 5/3/1 I picked a weight I could hit for a triple. My ultimate goal was to go 9/9 though not shatter any PRs mainly because it was my first time. You could hit 90% of your training max. That way you know you could hit it for a triple on a 3's week of 5/3/1, and you already know you are stronger than your training max anyways. I still recommend shooting for no missed attempts that way you have supreme confidence. Don't be afraid to leave some in tank.