PDA

View Full Version : deadlift grip

Ninja
01-15-14, 4:10 pm
animals,

quick question about using the mixed grip on deads. can using the mix grip on deads really lead to imbalances if you dont alternate the staggered/mixed grip? should you make sure to work each one equally?

Bruiser
01-15-14, 4:18 pm
Look at some of the huge raw DLs. Konstantin Konstantinovs, Pete Rubish, Eric Lilliebridge, Richard Hawthorn, Dan Green... do you see any imbalances? It's nothing to worry about. But if you are concerned with it, try switching it up.

Swolepez
01-15-14, 5:36 pm
Thanks for asking, Ninja, and thanks for answering Bruiser as I recently thought about the imbalances as well. I recently ditched straps and use only chalk now. I use the mix grip and switch up when performing deadlifts and rack deads Bc I feared imbalances...

BUT, I never thought about it being that simple; looking at others who perform these lifts and see if they have imbalances, which they don't.

I'm going to stop worrying about it and just lift.

Sandman
01-15-14, 7:36 pm
I only use mixed grip on my heaviest set. The rest I do double overhand, I feel like it trains the grip better. Just my .02. But that would eliminate your worries of imbalance also.

Catharsis
01-15-14, 11:11 pm
Lately I've been using my weaker switch grip (in my case left hand supinated, right hand pronated) to build up to my work weight, then switching to my dominant switch grip for work sets. I don't necessarily do it to prevent imbalance, but I like how "fresh" my dominant grip feels when I make the switch.

BigChrisF
01-15-14, 11:25 pm
I don't think it will be a big problem, but switching things up isn't a bad idea. I usually pull my heaviest sets with the same grip, but I will do my lighter warm ups with either double over hand or the opposite ove-under grip.

I do notice that my dominantly over-hand grip hand is less flexible to fully supinate when gripping the bar.

fattmatt
01-16-14, 12:02 am
My left spinal erector is smaller than my right one. I asked about it on the cube method Facebook page and Corey Hayes told me to flip my grip on deadlift. I typically go with left over right under on max attempts so it did make sense.

Ninja
01-16-14, 4:28 pm
ive always read to switch up grips because a staggered grip even translates into shifted hips, kind of tweaking your form, and just to make sure that your grip in both hands gets worked evenly. personally i lift with my left hand over right hand under, and was kinda thinking that a staggered/mixed grip would work one side of your back differently than a double overhand grip