PDA

View Full Version : I have a torn labrum in my shoulder

Maccabee
01-16-14, 6:45 am
I always thought my shoulder pain was the result of a lack in mobility. I was wrong. I didn't realize it was a tear because over the years the pain has come and gone. Now it's official. This explains all the clicking noises in my left shoulder.

I have rehabbed 5 minor quad tears. I am no stranger to rehabbing muscles, but a torn labrum is the most challenging injury I have ever had.

I am getting an MRI soon and I will know for sure how bad it is. I can't even pick up my daughter without feeling pain.

Have any of you had this injury? What was surgery like? Rehab process?

Thanks

Bruiser
01-16-14, 7:03 am
If you can pick up your daughter then I'm doubting it's a tear. There may just be a real bad impingement. I've got degenerative issues in both shoulders so the stretching, mobility and rehab work is a lot similar to that of a SLAP tear. Look up SLAP tear stretches, shoulder capsule release, and impingement. Look into these before you pay the money out for an MRI or let the Drs talk you into shit you don't need (surgery). Good luck with it though bud, any questions just PM me.

naturalguy
01-16-14, 8:33 am
Damn man, sorry to hear it. I am battling a shoulder injury myself. Get the MRI so you know exactly what you are dealing with

G Diesel
01-16-14, 10:27 am
It sucks. But comes with the territory in this game.

I've been having issues with my shoulders for the past year plus. It is a very delicate joint, considering the amazing wear, tear and mileage we pile on with the weights. I'm working on mobility and flexibility, strengthening the rotators and picking my spots in terms of when to push it and when to back off. It is frustrating, but can be manageable with the right approach and mindset.

Keep your head up bro. Take care of the problem whatever way you suits you best. And keep pushing forward.

Peace, G

Bob
01-16-14, 1:31 pm
I always thought my shoulder pain was the result of a lack in mobility. I was wrong. I didn't realize it was a tear because over the years the pain has come and gone. Now it's official. This explains all the clicking noises in my left shoulder.

I have rehabbed 5 minor quad tears. I am no stranger to rehabbing muscles, but a torn labrum is the most challenging injury I have ever had.

I am getting an MRI soon and I will know for sure how bad it is. I can't even pick up my daughter without feeling pain.

Thanks

definitely get it checked out. an MRI will let you know how bad it is... you may or may not need surgery depending on the severity of the tear

either way you'll need some physical therapy and you'll most likely be advised to do heavy rotator cuff work to build support

Maccabee
01-16-14, 2:52 pm
If you can pick up your daughter then I'm doubting it's a tear. There may just be a real bad impingement. I've got degenerative issues in both shoulders so the stretching, mobility and rehab work is a lot similar to that of a SLAP tear. Look up SLAP tear stretches, shoulder capsule release, and impingement. Look into these before you pay the money out for an MRI or let the Drs talk you into shit you don't need (surgery). Good luck with it though bud, any questions just PM me.

Thanks Bruiser! I will look into it.

Damn man, sorry to hear it. I am battling a shoulder injury myself. Get the MRI so you know exactly what you are dealing with

Good luck with your shoulder. Slow and steady. Patients is key here for the both of us.

It sucks. But comes with the territory in this game.

I've been having issues with my shoulders for the past year plus. It is a very delicate joint, considering the amazing wear, tear and mileage we pile on with the weights. I'm working on mobility and flexibility, strengthening the rotators and picking my spots in terms of when to push it and when to back off. It is frustrating, but can be manageable with the right approach and mindset.

Keep your head up bro. Take care of the problem whatever way you suits you best. And keep pushing forward.

Peace, G

I approached my shoulder the same way. I thought mobility and flexibility was the issue as well. If you haven't done it yet get your shoulder checked out and make sure nothing is torn. I am thinking about all the mobility and flexibility stuff I was doing and I am thinking I might have made it worst for myself.

definitely get it checked out. an MRI will let you know how bad it is... you may or may not need surgery depending on the severity of the tear

either way you'll need some physical therapy and you'll most likely be advised to do heavy rotator cuff work to build support

Right! Need to be patient and wait for the MRI. I might not need surgery. After all it's just what my doctor thinks. He still may be wrong.

Maccabee
01-17-14, 10:33 am
I noticed that every time I come to a 500 lb squat, 300 lb bench, and a 500 lb deadlift I GET INJURED.

This has happened several times. It can't be that my body doesn't want to grow or get stronger. I am certain I can be stronger then that. I have to improve. It can't be that those numbers are my peak and my best. I have to get better then that. I don't want to be stuck at the same weight. I am only 27. I KNOW I CAN GET STRONGER! Those are bullshit numbers.

Kyle47BC
01-17-14, 12:44 pm
I've pulled one rotator cuff and torn the other, never hurt my labrum but had the same experience in loss of mobility and strength. I couldn't put my arms out horizontal to the ground. It's always best to avoid surgery if possible, I use a blood flow stimulator to recover faster from tears and pulls, before I have a chance to re-injure it, if only I had this when I was still playing football, I've mostly used it for only old injuries. Make sure to keep your inflammation down to allow proper blood flow. Sometimes surgery is necessary, like for full tears.

Beast1
01-23-14, 12:32 pm
Bro I feel your pain but also agree it may not be a full blown tear, but you won't know until the MRI & doc consultation. I had the highest stage labrum tear & my right arm was completely uselss, & when I say useless I literally mean I could not move it without debilitating pain that shut me down. Within two months (the earliest appointment the doc had) I was in surgery to have the shorn off cartilage removed (leaving no cartilage in the shoulder socket) as well as had to get 4 anchors done (where they drill into & break the bone to get it to bleed out so as to have something between the joints so that it's not bone on bone). Started physcial rehab 2 months later per doctors orders but wasn't even allowed to have it out of the sling for the first month. A year & a half later, I'm just not up to 60lbs dumbbells for shoulder press reps whereas before the injury I could rep 150's. Take it easy, take the docs advice, ice constantly, get the potential surgery over with & get back on the fast track of normalcy.

Maccabee
01-23-14, 2:52 pm
Bro I feel your pain but also agree it may not be a full blown tear, but you won't know until the MRI & doc consultation. I had the highest stage labrum tear & my right arm was completely uselss, & when I say useless I literally mean I could not move it without debilitating pain that shut me down. Within two months (the earliest appointment the doc had) I was in surgery to have the shorn off cartilage removed (leaving no cartilage in the shoulder socket) as well as had to get 4 anchors done (where they drill into & break the bone to get it to bleed out so as to have something between the joints so that it's not bone on bone). Started physcial rehab 2 months later per doctors orders but wasn't even allowed to have it out of the sling for the first month. A year & a half later, I'm just not up to 60lbs dumbbells for shoulder press reps whereas before the injury I could rep 150's. Take it easy, take the docs advice, ice constantly, get the potential surgery over with & get back on the fast track of normalcy.

Damn, I can see you have been through a lot. I have read a couple stories on the internet about the process, and most of them sound like yours depending of course on the situation. The first week my shoulder hurt real bad, but now the pain is gone. I still feel inflammation and some times pain when I do random things around the house. I just don't want this to be the end of me. If I cant train hard and heavy anymore then a part of me will die. When I got injured I had excruciating sharp pain in my shoulder. It hurt like hell the next day. Even the specialty bars don't make it better. Best of luck to you and your comeback. I will find out January 27th. I am getting xrays etc.. We'll see.

Maccabee
01-23-14, 2:53 pm
I am hoping the doctor just says that I should stop being a bitch and that I am allright, but I have to face reality.

Beast1
01-23-14, 3:03 pm
I am hoping the doctor just says that I should stop being a bitch and that I am allright, but I have to face reality.

I'd wish for a doctor like that. But seriously just do what feels best for your body. Could be overusage, tendon inflammation, or a tear, any number of things. Ice & anti-inflammatories will be your best friend of course as well as not doing anything that exacerbates it. I felt the same way as you about part of me dying, but it comes back slowly but surely. The worst thing you can do is rush if you do require surgery. If it isn't something surgically though my opinion would be a good amount of rest, though we all hate that. But your body may need a few weeks or even a month or so of complete rest & recovery. Best of luck to you.

Maccabee
01-24-14, 10:23 am
I'd wish for a doctor like that. But seriously just do what feels best for your body. Could be overusage, tendon inflammation, or a tear, any number of things. Ice & anti-inflammatories will be your best friend of course as well as not doing anything that exacerbates it. I felt the same way as you about part of me dying, but it comes back slowly but surely. The worst thing you can do is rush if you do require surgery. If it isn't something surgically though my opinion would be a good amount of rest, though we all hate that. But your body may need a few weeks or even a month or so of complete rest & recovery. Best of luck to you.

Your right about the shoulder. So far they just gave their educated opinion. The xrays will show more. I am just anxious to find out. I am going in this monday.

Maccabee
01-27-14, 3:20 pm
I just got back from my appointment. The orthopedic surgeon thinks I have a laberal tear and a bicep tendon tear. I am going to do an MRI and depending on how bad it is I might have surgery.

naturalguy
01-27-14, 4:27 pm
I just got back from my appointment. The orthopedic surgeon thinks I have a laberal tear and a bicep tendon tear. I am going to do an MRI and depending on how bad it is I might have surgery.

Damn man, well get the MRI so you know for sure and then take it step by step

Ksnook60
01-28-14, 12:29 am

ThanksDamn! Seems like a lot of us are in this boat. I went for MRI they told me I neede rotator and bicep tendon repair. My wife had this work done and I watched her go through hell for almost a year! That's when I looked for an alternative. My accupuncturist told me to find a sports doctor. I did, He's a chiropractor that works with olympic lifters, strength is his game. He told me that my shoulder is too far forward and has given me exercises to strengthen the rotator. Through that and manipulation I'm feeling much better, not 100% but much better. The accupunture is helping with the becep tendon. Shoulder surgery is very painful and very lengthy in recovery. Good luck to you.

rbowman91
01-28-14, 10:44 am
i had a FRAYED labrum in my hip flexor. i was lucky and didnt tear it. (the MRI showed this).

i had to do physical therapy for a while and still havent squatted in about 5 months. though i had some steroid injections to heal the surrounding area and its gotten much better. i should be squatting soon.

for a TORN labrum apparently the surgery is very minor. i had to explore this option as well. the truth about labrum's is, the area is all cartilege and therefor does not get any blood flow. without blood flow, it DOESNT heal on its own. (this is coming from multiple doctors. i had to get a second opinion for my own peace of mind).

its a really shitty thing but i wouldnt recommend trying to fix it on your own. i tried that and wound up irritating it further. this is NOT the same as a regular muscle tear (so i wouldnt try to 'self rehab' it before the MRI. i tried this and just hurt it further).

if you get the surgery you will need some phys therapy after for good couple of weeks. its shitty but its a small bump in the road and worth healing up so you can train again at max capacity.

Maccabee
01-28-14, 11:15 am
i had a FRAYED labrum in my hip flexor. i was lucky and didnt tear it. (the MRI showed this).

i had to do physical therapy for a while and still havent squatted in about 5 months. though i had some steroid injections to heal the surrounding area and its gotten much better. i should be squatting soon.

for a TORN labrum apparently the surgery is very minor. i had to explore this option as well. the truth about labrum's is, the area is all cartilege and therefor does not get any blood flow. without blood flow, it DOESNT heal on its own. (this is coming from multiple doctors. i had to get a second opinion for my own peace of mind).

its a really shitty thing but i wouldnt recommend trying to fix it on your own. i tried that and wound up irritating it further. this is NOT the same as a regular muscle tear (so i wouldnt try to 'self rehab' it before the MRI. i tried this and just hurt it further).

if you get the surgery you will need some phys therapy after for good couple of weeks. its shitty but its a small bump in the road and worth healing up so you can train again at max capacity.

Thanks for contributing your story. That was my big problem. As soon as I got hurt I started rehab exercises and various mobility movements not knowing that I was actually making it worst. I completely stopped all upper body training. Only using machines for my legs now. I am expecting to lose size and strength in my upper body. Gaining it all back will be easy. I just need to do this right. Best of luck to you in your recovery.

Maccabee
01-28-14, 11:17 am
Damn! Seems like a lot of us are in this boat. I went for MRI they told me I neede rotator and bicep tendon repair. My wife had this work done and I watched her go through hell for almost a year! That's when I looked for an alternative. My accupuncturist told me to find a sports doctor. I did, He's a chiropractor that works with olympic lifters, strength is his game. He told me that my shoulder is too far forward and has given me exercises to strengthen the rotator. Through that and manipulation I'm feeling much better, not 100% but much better. The accupunture is helping with the becep tendon. Shoulder surgery is very painful and very lengthy in recovery. Good luck to you.

I see what your saying but if a tendon is torn how can a chiropractor and acupuncturist heal you 100%. I dont think it can. My question is will this kind of therapy bring you back to 100%?

Ksnook60
01-29-14, 12:13 am
I see what your saying but if a tendon is torn how can a chiropractor and acupuncturist heal you 100%. I dont think it can. My question is will this kind of therapy bring you back to 100%?They said the tendon needs cut off, the bad section removed and reattached to the bone. Sounds like fun huh? It will never be 100%, you are right about that. I'm just not ready to get cut on. Surgery is the last thing we all want to do. This kind of therapy gets me through until I am ready for surgery, and until then I can still train. Just offering an alternative to surgery for now. Didn't mean to give anynone false hope. It hurts always will, a least until it's repaired. A couple meets this year and I will concider the surgery. Good luck if that's what you decide to do.

Maccabee
01-29-14, 10:41 am
I understand where your coming from. Surgery is the last thing on my mind too. Good luck.

mbone
02-08-14, 5:48 pm
Not sure if you got the diagnosis but I do feel your pain. Not sure on the severity of your but I was diagnosed with a SLAP (superior labrum, anterior to posterior) tear from the 10olock to the 2 oclock position. It hurts, it sucks. I can bench with dumbels but barbell just isn't happening(cant really figure out why). I have heard if you do not get it fixed and train with the pain for years it can then have an affect on the bicep tendon(the bicep tendon sits in a groove at the very top of the humerous and attaches behind the superior labrum). Keep us posted. Wish you all the best!

Maccabee
02-09-14, 12:34 am
I got MRI done and just waiting for next Friday to see the doc.

Makes sense what your saying about the bicep tendon. My orthopedic surgeon told me chances are bicep tendon looks to be torn in the area you described.

Maccabee
02-20-14, 12:41 pm
Thanks to everyone that reached out and shared their story/advice. I really appreciate it. With your help I was able to prepare myself for anything. I sat at the doctors office confident and ready for war.

The Doc said:

1. The MRI does not show any tears. It is however not 100% accurate.

2. I strained the living shit out of my shoulder (he didnt say it that way).

3. Bicep tendinitis and bursitis

4. 6-8 weeks no training of any kind (we all know I am not going to do that...will focus on legs hard and very light weights focusing on flushing blood into the region)

5. Going to physical therapy for my shoulder.

MY THOUGHTS:

I am really happy. I wont have to waste a year of my life coming back. Thank G-d for that.

My injury makes sense. 2013 was my comeback year of training and I gained 90% of my strength back. I am 10-15 lbs away from breaking a PR on all my lifts. I pushed myself really hard. I maxed out way to often.

MY PLAN:

Heal the shoulder.

Stop Maxing Out. Multiple sets of 8-5 reps from here on out.

Peace