PDA

View Full Version : ANIMAL's "Big on the Basics" exercise tutorials

Universal Rep
01-23-14, 11:24 am
Not sure if folks know bout this, but theyve got a great series goin... Features elite athletes talkin about how they set up, do and maximize key lifts. Its like gettin a personal one-on-one lesson from a pro. For example...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=50kOE5Rc4K0

Anyone wanna see anythin from anyone in particular?

Universal Rep
01-23-14, 11:46 am
Hot off the presses...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk3Tt9gRukg

GUNZ
01-23-14, 12:01 pm
Thanks for posting vid guys!! Hopefully my set up and technique can help a few people out. Any questions just let me know guys

Universal Rep
01-23-14, 12:10 pm
Thanks for posting vid guys!! Hopefully my set up and technique can help a few people out. Any questions just let me know guys

How do ya determine how wide to grip the bar GUNZ?

knotahumanbeing
01-23-14, 12:16 pm

You've helped me out in how I dig my back and lats into the bench now. It's help me maintain my arch throughout the lift being a tall lifter.

J-Dawg
01-23-14, 12:23 pm
Great stuff. These videos are really helpful for getting proper technique down!

GUNZ
01-23-14, 1:26 pm
How do ya determine how wide to grip the bar GUNZ?
Just depends on where your press power comes from. Wider grip will envolve more shoulder power, closer the grip will be more tricep power! So just depends on what more comfortable and where the power comes from. Also the wider the grip the more stress on shoulders and putter pecs IMO increasing a chance of injury. Iv done both ways before in training and meets, in the long run pinky on the lines of the bar was best for me.

You've helped me out in how I dig my back and lats into the bench now. It's help me maintain my arch throughout the lift being a tall lifter.

Glad this helped you man!! Awesome

Great stuff. These videos are really helpful for getting proper technique down!

I agree, always goodmt see how each lifter approaches the different lifts and how we all have somewhat different thoughts on the lifts but in the end it's all about keeping it simple and lifting.

Universal Rep
01-23-14, 2:01 pm
"Big on the Basics" is not just the squat, deadlift and bench.

Here's BOSS doin presses. Id like to see a "Big on the Basics" featurin front squats in the future...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3EuCSe7pUA

G Diesel
01-23-14, 2:08 pm
Amazing opportunity to learn from the best.

I'm always open to adding to the tool box. It all adds up over time.

Peace, G

Beast1
01-23-14, 2:18 pm
What about a possible strongman basics with P Diesel perhaps?

Universal Rep
01-24-14, 10:13 am
What about a possible strongman basics with P Diesel perhaps?

Why not?

Glad this helped you man!!

Just saw it, along with an article, featured on Lift... http://www.lift.net/2014/01/23/bench-press-set-technique-tips-garrett-griffin-video/

Swolepez
01-24-14, 12:09 pm
Thanks for posting up these videos U Rep!
This may sound stupid Bc I've been lifting for almost 3 yrs but I was never taught how to set up for bench to get maximum output so these videos really helped...

GUNZ
01-24-14, 2:29 pm
Thanks for posting up these videos U Rep!
This may sound stupid Bc I've been lifting for almost 3 yrs but I was never taught how to set up for bench to get maximum output so these videos really helped...

Every time I work with people the first 15-20 min is teaching them set up and technique. It's crazy what a few tips can do to your bench, Iv seen many guys hit a PR same day learning new technique.

Swolepez
01-24-14, 4:22 pm
Every time I work with people the first 15-20 min is teaching them set up and technique. It's crazy what a few tips can do to your bench, Iv seen many guys hit a PR same day learning new technique.

Lol, yeah I bet; proper form can make a hell of a difference in performance!

I remember my sophomore yr in high school...my coaches never taught me how to properly perform the Deadlift, all they cared was that we improved every wk...needless to say I pulled with a rounded back and messed my lower back up. later I was diagnosed with lordosis in my lower back Bc if it. It will never go away but I'm still doing my best to strengthen my lower back safely.

Although I bodybuild, I recently added some of the powerlifting moves and techniques into my training and was afraid to try deadlifts again. But I watched some videos, including the ones above ^^^^ of you Animal athletes on the powerlifting side. slowly but surely I'm getting more confident in the big 3.

I'm glad you guys are doing videos like these, hopefully a lot of people watch, listen, and learn from yall. That way they can avoid an injury like mine.

Jay Nera
01-26-14, 12:09 pm
Its always good to hear other peoples cues. We all seem be on the same page but will word things differently…and things can make a big difference when explaining it to the other people who might not grasp it one way but understand the other. Great to have more tools in the toolbox.

rainman
01-27-14, 1:19 pm
Anyone wanna see anythin from anyone in particular?
I'd like to see a Sam Byrd squat tutorial, particularly on set up and his take on rep ranges.

Id like to see a "Big on the Basics" featurin front squats in the future...
Higa doing front squats would also be cool. I got quite good results using his 'hands forwards' stance.

Universal Rep
02-21-14, 1:40 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5oCZ5XmfXE

MR. C
07-15-14, 11:11 am
These videos are the best. They should show them in high school before they let you into the weight room! I was never taught how to lift the right way.

Animal Rep
09-30-14, 2:34 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scV3QbXEnkY

When you see the word "Beyond", think master class. Think in-depth and comprehensive. That's where elite powerlifter, coach and Animal athlete Jay Nera takes you with this new installment of Big on the Basics Beyond – beyond the deadlift. Whether you are a seasoned powerlifter or just starting out, there's something here you will find useful. Filmed at Dynamo Barbell in Ottawa.

Jay Nera
09-28-17, 5:25 pm
Going to have to make more installations for this one.