PDA

View Full Version : Home Grown Values by P Diesel

Firefist
01-29-14, 1:38 pm
Often, the articles written by the Pro's and Crew aren't seen by many, as they are tucked away in the articles section. You gotta look for them sometimes. Though the years, I've read every single article published onto this website. They are all pretty good, but every once in a while, you find a real gem....

This is one of those gems.

I know P doesn't give a fuck about publicity, but I think this deserves a read from everyone.

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=livin&id=659

"Home Grown Values
by P Diesel

I dream, I have dreams. And aspirations, I aspire to be more of what I am and than I am. But neither find their foundation among monetary frivolity or glib propriety. I am much based in my desire. Not to say those wants are misplaced but indeed it is to say or even to pose; am I any less noble because I am not afraid to bleed to achieve? Suit or blue jeans, primal or proper, lunacy or temperance. These distinctions, whatever mark they hit, when a weight is in your hand what the hell is the difference?

The assumption is often made that, because I am hardened, my roots are otherworldly. That I kicked down the gates of hell, came into this world already tattooed with a cigarette in my mouth. I head-butted the doctor, slapped the nurse's ass and yelled, “Where's the weight room in this joint?”. Every night I would sleep on a bed of barbed wire and eat a bowl of nails every morning.

It's just not that way. I have a beautiful, supportive, loving family rich in heritage and tradition. My dad is a real man, a man's man, of a dying breed. And my mom, the epitome of a strong woman; everyone should be so lucky. My parents worked their asses off to give me opportunities and choices. They instilled in me rock solid, old time values and afforded me the freedom to choose my path. To never fear anyone or anything but to always be aware of the decisions I am making. Hell, I went to a private school. Wore a shirt and tie and a sport coat for years. I have two degrees and I work with at-risk kids for a living. It just so happens I have a passion for training, for lifting weights. I am unapologetic in that pursuit. That is what I like to call a paradox, this duality.

What then gives me this demeanor, so viewed as maladjusted, nonconformist? Cuz I was raised that way from the ground up, bred for more. Set to purpose in my life with a vicious sense of loyalty and unrelenting work ethic. And the masses are afraid of that.

Reminds me of a Henry Rollins quote I enjoy. “Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts.”

It is apparent that the norm is now to brand yourself and not actually be yourself. Shave part of your head, get some tattoos and a few guns, drive fast and train hard. Tell everyone within earshot that you just don't give a shit and you “do you”. YouTube that shit and couple it with a rant… Make it insightful, preferably with a lot of cursing and vernacularly verbose. There you have it. For the low, low price of your true self you can now be a lemming.

Wild haircuts are alright, mine ends up crazy cuz I cut it myself and I'm not that good. Tattoos are fun and that's all. I enjoy the entire experience. Shooting is a great time. If you feel like a badass cuz you have a gun, you shouldn't have one. Honestly, don't give a shit and yea, do you all the time. You have to mean it though. I respect true attributes. Big Byrd sounds like a wild ass hillbilly but is smart as hell. So much so, that he extended his education to law school and is now a lawyer; a man increasing his knowledge. The Ant and Gunz are great fathers. Anyone can have a kid; it takes a real man to be a father. G Diesel is one of the most astounding and subtle creative minds I have ever encountered. He has achieved so much but is always working toward more, while incorporating his home grown values.

Ya see, it's not in the packaging or the delivery; it is in the substance, the core of the man. Are you good to those who are good to you, loyal and trustworthy? Do you challenge yourself to be better in terms of knowledge and values? My dad gave a speech at his father's funeral a few years back, like ten or so. He said many things about my grandfather's life and accomplishments. One thing always stuck with me, “He was not large in stature but he had a big heart.” Why are these men so dangerous nowadays? Because they pose a threat to expose the facade of so many, simply by being real.

Let ignorant people present themselves in any way they wish. Let them talk. They will tell you exactly how little they know. And when dealing with a man of substance, let the summation of his actions tell you who he is and of his worth. Training is great. I've based the majority of my life around it in some aspect. It is a passion but it is not me at my core. It may be a good illustration of the values I embody, the drive and dedication. But when the plates are unracked and the weight room is silent and dark; it's what lies beneath the muscle that matters most."

Universal Rep
01-29-14, 1:39 pm
Good stuff. Thnx for postin this up FF...

G Diesel
01-29-14, 1:39 pm
Agreed. Such a dope article.

Peace, G

smoothballer
01-30-14, 7:38 am
That hits right to the core

Rex
01-31-14, 7:06 pm
Great read. Thank you very much for sharing this, Bro.