PDA

View Full Version : How to deadlift... everything ya need to know

Universal Rep
01-30-14, 3:23 pm
If ya ever wanted to know how to do it rite, heres an in-depth instruction from none other than Richard Hawthorne, pound for pound one of the greatest powerlifters ever. This vid is close to 17 minutes long and in it, The Ant shows ya every weapon in his arsenal... Don't wanna miss this one fellas.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ5rY_beDLY

smoothballer
01-30-14, 4:03 pm
Will be allotting time for this one tonight...

naturalguy
01-30-14, 4:18 pm
Ant is a technician, I am taking notes

P Diesel
01-30-14, 8:00 pm
Learn from the very best! The things Richard has given me to incorporate into my own training have already taken me to a new level.

P

KettleBellFreak
02-04-14, 2:45 pm
I couldn't even start to thank you guys enough!!

rshelton242
02-04-14, 3:59 pm
worked on this last night brought my stance in to shoulder width and brought the grip in some and hit a nice rep PR. Ant is a BEAST!!!

J-Dawg
02-04-14, 4:08 pm
Looking forward to the coming deadlift sessions to work on this form!

GUNS
02-04-14, 4:28 pm
I have been training every day with Richard since around Jan 1st. I have been using this technique for a little longer than this! I did not believe this would work, Very skeptical about it. On the first day I tried it, my back was hurting bad! Trying to reteach your body is tough! I almost did not stick with it and thought about giving up on it! I decided to keep at it and give it a shot. Each time I did deads they got better and better. I have recently pulled 500 x 10. Still have work to do, but this is a huge rep PR for me by double! I have not tried going heavier due to not being in any kind of meet prep. But have a lot of confidence in his technique! I assure you that if you try this and it doesn't feel right, give it a few weeks, months, and you will be setting your own PR's!

J-Dawg
02-04-14, 4:37 pm
I have been training every day with Richard since around Jan 1st. I have been using this technique for a little longer than this! I did not believe this would work, Very skeptical about it. On the first day I tried it, my back was hurting bad! Trying to reteach your body is tough! I almost did not stick with it and thought about giving up on it! I decided to keep at it and give it a shot. Each time I did deads they got better and better. I have recently pulled 500 x 10. Still have work to do, but this is a huge rep PR for me by double! I have not tried going heavier due to not being in any kind of meet prep. But have a lot of confidence in his technique! I assure you that if you try this and it doesn't feel right, give it a few weeks, months, and you will be setting your own PR's!

GUNS--this is a great testament to The Ant's deadlift technique! I'm really pumped to tweak my form.

GUNS
02-04-14, 5:26 pm
GUNS--this is a great testament to The Ant's deadlift technique! I'm really pumped to tweak my form.

J, this will get you way over that 600 man! Hit him up at the ABC in C-Bus! If not, Ill help where I can! I may be doing deads at the ABC! Not sure yet!

KettleBellFreak
02-04-14, 5:47 pm
thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. used every tip from the set up but stayed with double overhand grip. Hit 345x9 for a rep PR today!!! Lifts felt clean!!

Swolepez
02-14-14, 11:34 pm
I learned more about the dead lift in this 16 mins then I have in my whole life.

deanna7272
02-15-14, 12:34 am
Wish I would have watched this 2 days ago!!! I can't wait to get to the gym in the AM and go through this step by step... I did deads on Thursday, so it won't be a full session, but I can't wait to see how this feels...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for making/posting this!!!

Universal Rep
02-21-14, 1:41 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5oCZ5XmfXE

Chalk N Iron
02-23-14, 12:18 pm
As a beginner to power lifting, I've been researching proper techniques on the deadlifting. I watched Richard's video and used everything he said in the video this morning and everything felt right when deadlifting. Awesome video! Thanks Animal and Richard!

Pale Rider
02-23-14, 2:58 pm
Some great deadlifting advice from two awesome pullers

BOSS
02-26-14, 10:05 pm
seems like Richard has put some thought into deadlifting...

mritter3
02-27-14, 7:18 am
Def checking this out...

mrdamo
02-27-14, 10:32 pm
I had just asked about deadlifts on my facebook the other day and someone mentioned Richards video. Going to be watching these videos very closely.

Thanks.

kingdinz
03-05-14, 12:18 am
Love these videos!! Thank you for posting! Was this shot at Universal Gym in Allentown in June? I missed this ABC when they were there. Thanks for posting!

SquatPressPull
03-18-14, 11:18 am
Richard's video has helped me tremendously and this was the last meet. My confidence definitely went up and even though I wussed out on going big (I wanted a total PR) on my last deadlift, I knew I had it. I wanted to shake my head like Richard does. I've readjusted (work in progress still) my setup and it seems to be even easier.

So thank you again Richard for the video.

Jay Nera
04-30-14, 2:30 am
It's always interesting to listen to what other people are thinking. Because many of us teach it differently than others. Different styles, different techniques within each style….

dangzr1
05-02-14, 7:09 pm
I always thought the bar had to hit ur shins!! -_-

BOSS
05-13-14, 2:58 pm
I always thought the bar had to hit ur shins!! -_-

If you pull the bar into your shins you're either going to over stress and round your back... You can't pull it through your shins. Like Richard says you should be balanced in the lift not leaning back. Try pausing with the bar just off the ground or just at the upper shins... That'll tell you if you are balanced or not

MetalAsh12
05-27-14, 3:25 pm
The bar does not have to hit your shins. Chest up, back straight, use both your legs and back.

Freight
06-13-14, 9:47 pm
Great vid, wish I would have had this three days ago!

BOSS
06-17-14, 3:31 am
Great vid, wish I would have had this three days ago!

same thing I said when I saw the FLEX magazine that had on the cover "30 days to huge guns"... like yeah why didn't I read that 30 days ago?!? I'd have been set by now

P Diesel
08-01-14, 11:05 am
if anyone knows Richard does

P

Zebarka
08-15-14, 2:15 am
Caught this at the right time. About to head to bed and I got deadlifts in the morning. Excited to try this out, but also prepared to get humbled haha. Great vid. Sending this to all my buddies for sure.

Rdcopps
08-29-14, 4:06 pm
Great video! I've seen a lot of videos about deadlifting from some very successful lifters, but there was something different about the way Richard broke everything down that really hit home. I tried to incorporate some of the things Richard was talking about that I wasn't currently doing (feet closer together, not leaning back). It took me about 5-6 sets (at a lowered working weight) and then it felt like I got into a rhythm and things started to click. Looking forward to building on the next workout.

Question for all: Do you wrap your thumb around the bar and grab your index finger or do you use a thumbless grip? Since I can remember, I have always used a thumbless grip on just about every exercise I have done with a BB. Does it even matter? I tried wrapping my thumb when doing deads, but it felt like it was much harder for me to hold on to the BB.

The Ant
10-21-14, 8:57 pm
Great video! I've seen a lot of videos about deadlifting from some very successful lifters, but there was something different about the way Richard broke everything down that really hit home. I tried to incorporate some of the things Richard was talking about that I wasn't currently doing (feet closer together, not leaning back). It took me about 5-6 sets (at a lowered working weight) and then it felt like I got into a rhythm and things started to click. Looking forward to building on the next workout.

Question for all: Do you wrap your thumb around the bar and grab your index finger or do you use a thumbless grip? Since I can remember, I have always used a thumbless grip on just about every exercise I have done with a BB. Does it even matter? I tried wrapping my thumb when doing deads, but it felt like it was much harder for me to hold on to the BB.

wrap it!!! it locks that grip in there

MR. C
12-03-14, 1:32 pm
Hi Richard. How many days a week do u deadlift? Do u Squat and deadlift heavy in the same week?

skibasgym
12-06-14, 12:14 pm
Great video. Something can be learned from every video you watch. The day we think "we know it all", our progress will come to a quick halt. That is what makes this Forum is valuable.

Tifferzzz
01-20-15, 12:17 am
The thing that I love about this video is that it follows the same guidelines that Tommy Kono originally spoke of. I went to a seminar of his at the OTC a couple years back and they spoke on how vital it is to keep the bar flowing upward in a straight line. Essentially this was sanctioned around a clean & jerk motion, but his point was that the more away from the line you move the bar....the more you have to move it back. He said that one of the biggest mistakes lifters make is to 'kick' the bar once it gets to mid-thigh. Although this is based on the deadlift as opposed to Kono's Olympic Lifts it really reminded me of that seminar.

Tifferzzz
01-20-15, 12:31 am
Additionally the question that I have is the one that I rarely see addressed - the return of the bar to the ground. What is the best way to do this to avoid straining the lower back? Is it the exact same motion in reverse? What are your thoughts on this?

TrulyRaw
03-09-15, 4:07 pm
I consider Dan's and Richard's videos very useful and informative,but aren't we forgetting one more lifter with just as informative and helpful video as these two great lifters made?
"Big on the Basics": Beyond The Deadlift with Jay Nera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scV3QbXEnkY

hkusp45
04-14-15, 4:44 pm
I am at work watching this video so I turn the subtitles on... if anyone wants a good laugh and to be totally confused do the same thing, and read them.. lol

Jay Nera
04-26-15, 7:23 pm
I consider Dan's and Richard's videos very useful and informative,but aren't we forgetting one more lifter with just as informative and helpful video as these two great lifters made?
"Big on the Basics": Beyond The Deadlift with Jay Nera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scV3QbXEnkY

Thanks. At least somebody liked mine. haha

skibasgym
06-22-15, 8:56 pm
Dan Green is the man. A legend!

MR. C
06-28-15, 5:38 am
Their videos are great learning tools.