02-20-14, 12:50 pm
has anyone tried the Paleo diet?

Firefist
02-20-14, 12:53 pm
absolutely not.

thats just me.

BCent
02-20-14, 1:46 pm
I haven't necessarily tried it in the truest sense, but I'd argue that in a lot of ways a keto diet is very similar. Honestly I think the biggest drawback for paleo comes aorund the workout window- I prefer to do something like Torrent to speed recovery along and make sure my muscles are getting what they need, but I know plenty of people who do it. They've found that they've lost weight but when they really want to push it they struggle to get in enough carbs/calories

Kowboy
02-20-14, 2:08 pm
When I first started crossfit I tried it but the lack of carbs made it impossible for me. After a couple days i was super tired. I would say if you are honestly considering it to pick up the book on Paleo for Athletes. It tells you how to get carbs to maintain energy and strength. I ended up going to an IIFYM style diet and haven't looked back.

Christman
02-20-14, 3:48 pm
When I first started crossfit I tried it but the lack of carbs made it impossible for me. After a couple days i was super tired. I would say if you are honestly considering it to pick up the book on Paleo for Athletes. It tells you how to get carbs to maintain energy and strength. I ended up going to an IIFYM style diet and haven't looked back.

Yep, if it fits your mouth, right?

Kowboy
02-20-14, 6:17 pm
Yep, if it fits your mouth, right?

That is what got me to 295lbs lol

Kowboy
02-20-14, 6:18 pm
Here is a good video on the Paleo diet, take it for what its worth but it is a pretty good listen.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 DBMOjVYgYaG8&h=BAQFbovE1

KettleBellFreak
02-20-14, 8:31 pm
I like to gain weight. So no.

In Flames
02-21-14, 12:05 am
I follow Gironda's Steak & Eggs, Bacon & Eggs diet most of the time. I'm not trying to gain weight though, I maintain or cut depending on a photo shoot, etc. I'm not a bodybuilder or powerlifter, so this eating style works very well for me. I also, at most, eat only twice per day, for simplicities sake, I eat one giant meal at night. I typically fast for around 18-20 hours out the day. Eating this way keeps my body-fat at or under 10% and I have constant energy through out the day, since no sugar is spiking my insulin, my mind stays more alert and no food is weighing me down, making me bloated.

To each their own, everyone's goals are different.

legacyvet76
02-21-14, 12:24 am
i dropped from 228 down to 215 on keto which is similar, it was a tough 2 weeks headaches and such, now i just use a low carb about 100 gs or less then a carb up day once a week whatever i want that has carb good or bad it hass worked great for me kept my size and getting cut

JeremyT
02-24-14, 9:17 pm
Looking at the previous '1 word answers' in this thread I think people give the paleo diet a simple umbrella look and decide that it doesn't make any sense for bodybuilding and discount it. Although have 5 books that have either Paleo or Primal on the shelf in front of me (including the one discussed earlier the paleo diet for athletes) I don't really have much of a desire to convince anyone about it. That being said I think if you want to see if the ideas that the paleo diet asserts, being used by bodybuilders, look no further then John Meadows and the Mountain Dog Diet. Even some of the pro's on this forum like Antoine Vaillant follow his diet plans. I think the basic ideas behind the paleo diet are pretty sound, even for bodybuilders. Go low on refined grains and sugar and dairy, have lots of healthy fats, eat lots of varied lean meats and all the fruit and veggies you can. Most people also include lots of starch. Although bodybuilders tend to add alot of carbs, choosing healthy sources like oats, rice, and potatoes is right up the 'paleo' alley. Yes, its hard to dirty bulk upto 300 pounds without milk and bread, but for me who is lactose/somewhat wheat intolerant I eat this way without even really trying.

Ox
02-25-14, 9:00 am
I follow Gironda's Steak & Eggs, Bacon & Eggs diet most of the time. I'm not trying to gain weight though, I maintain or cut depending on a photo shoot, etc. I'm not a bodybuilder or powerlifter, so this eating style works very well for me. I also, at most, eat only twice per day, for simplicities sake, I eat one giant meal at night. I typically fast for around 18-20 hours out the day. Eating this way keeps my body-fat at or under 10% and I have constant energy through out the day, since no sugar is spiking my insulin, my mind stays more alert and no food is weighing me down, making me bloated.

It's amazing how energetic you can feel and how clear your mind can be when eating less!

Bruiser
02-25-14, 9:09 am

I've never been real hungry in the morning so I don't eat until usually 9-10am. Then my last meal is before 6pm. So I've got 18 hours with no food. Plus I don't like carbs so I only have them at night with our family dinner. I'm inadvertently doing intermittent fasting and CBL. It works for me tough. More energy and I don't feel over full all the time.

G Diesel
02-25-14, 9:29 am
We joke around a lot, but I will say this, I see NO problem whatsoever with a diet that largely emphasizes animal protein, natural fats, fruits and veggies. That is great. The less processed shit we all eat the better--certainly something I need to work on.

That said, I do think an athlete looking to gain muscle mass and strength does do himself a disservice avoiding rice, oats and pasta. And I also think had these grain sources been readily available to the cavemen, they would've readily consumed them and consequently would have starved less often.

Peace, G

DoubleTapJak
02-25-14, 9:44 am
We joke around a lot, but I will say this, I see NO problem whatsoever with a diet that largely emphasizes animal protein, natural fats, fruits and veggies. That is great. The less processed shit we all eat the better--certainly something I need to work on.

That said, I do think an athlete looking to gain muscle mass and strength does do himself a disservice avoiding rice, oats and pasta. And I also think had these grain sources been readily available to the cavemen, they would've readily consumed them and consequently would have starved less often.

Peace, G

It's not all due to diet, but if the proof is in the proverbial pudding, then I think it's safe to say quadrupling the life expectancy has got to be somewhat in part in the extra food groups.

In Flames
02-25-14, 10:57 am
I've never been real hungry in the morning so I don't eat until usually 9-10am. Then my last meal is before 6pm. So I've got 18 hours with no food. Plus I don't like carbs so I only have them at night with our family dinner. I'm inadvertently doing intermittent fasting and CBL. It works for me tough. More energy and I don't feel over full all the time.

Nice! Glad to hear it's working good for you. When I do eat carbs it's always at night (CBL). What's amazing about this diet is I can eat ice cream almost daily every night after my high fat, high protein meal and my body-fat stays the exact same. I actually wake up the next morning looking better, more shredded, go figure.

Bruiser
02-25-14, 11:01 am
Nice! Glad to hear it's working good for you. When I do eat carbs it's always at night (CBL). What's amazing about this diet is I can eat ice cream almost daily every night after my high fat, high protein meal and my body-fat stays the exact same. I actually wake up the next morning looking better, more shredded, go figure.

Hahaha. Once or twice a week I'll sit down at night with a one pound mixed bag of Jelly Bellys, Mike & Ikes and Skittles. Same thing, next morning I'm vascular as hell. Lol

In Flames
02-25-14, 11:04 am
It's amazing how energetic you can feel and how clear your mind can be when eating less!

It's definitely an awesome feeling. It's like we've been brainwashed by media and so-called nutritionists and scientists stating we have to eat all the time and breakfast is the most important meal of the day, fat is bad for you, blah, blah, blah. This might work in la-la-land, but here on Earth, to get leaner, you've got to eat less. There's no reason to eat that much, unless you're trying to gain weight. I live my life like a Spartan and I'm a Goddamn animal, and I don't mean a cow haha.

Jay Nera
02-25-14, 11:49 pm
I eat paleo in the broad sense of the term. If it didn't grow or have a mother i wouldn't eat it. Paleo does not have to be keto. I read a few of the above comments and there seems to be a mix up. Keto simply means low carb…usually less that 100gram of carbs a day..some as strict as sub 50g.

I was eating sub 150g of carbs a day and still able to maintain a body weight of around 226. Keep in mind I have been 225-230 for years so it seems to be my homeostatic body weight. Eating like this over the past few years I have noticed my body composition shift positively. Its easy because as men we tend to want to eat fatty meats such as steak and bacon and pork anyways…just don't eat so much carbs…vegetables aren't that bad….

I've recently started adding rice and sweet potato fries when I go out…. i'm putting on size doing this.

anyway… paleo is healthy and makes sense but i think people are thinking that you can't control your macros as well while eating protein…this is obviously false. Eating real food makes sense.

ArmAndHammer
05-06-15, 10:40 pm
I lost 80 pounds while Paleo. It's great for loosing weight...no doubt about it. I also believe it's a generally healthy way to eat. People don't "need" carbs such as rice, potatoes, grains. When I made my weight loss journey a couple years ago...my goal was weight loss. Nothing else. I lost it. Muscle mass as well in my upper body, added some in the lower body. I wasn't lifting, just riding a bike all the time. Now I've stopped riding and I'm lifting. I've jumped back up to 290 from 250 since January. A lot is muscle, a lot is fat. Now I need to figure out how to cut the fat and maintain the muscle...which is what everyone wants to do no doubt. I'm thinking Paleo again just making sure to keep the protein high and add some carbs around workouts but none any other time....but who knows. I may also try IIFYM for a couple months and see if I get any results from that. I can build muscle like crazy...that's easy. Diet has never been something I've had much luck with.

insatiableOne
05-24-15, 12:03 am

I was looking for specific details for this, seems after looking there are discrepancies in opinion, from site to site.
Any help would be grateful.

Was following MCF after coming of 43 day fast to bulk up. ► put on major fat! Went with Keto & cuts- seems to work well with 10-15 lbs but not shedding me down far enough.

Now 12 days in on another fast, just making me tired this time around. So far went from 161 1/2 down to 138 1/2 able to keep more muscle this time around.

Not for competition just wanting to get shredded. Quality of life.

Rex
05-25-15, 10:45 am
If you ask me, the paleo approach makes total sense.
I don´t see anything bad coming from it....

skibasgym
05-28-15, 8:06 pm
for me, I feel best when I'm eating the best possible quality (non-processed) foods. Nothing bogs me down more than the bloated feeling.