PDA

View Full Version : Strength/Size Training.......

Joseph V
02-21-14, 4:05 am
I'm no expert in neither field because I'm still trying to figure out what my body personally enjoys doing in a perfect recipe for results but I believe I know enough about the common sense approach to bodybuilding and weight lifting.

I find that anybody can gain decent size and strength at the same time but what I wonder is if maybe by training your body for Strength first and then transitioning it to a bodybuilding program off and on may be more beneficial.

The way I see it is that by strengthing your overall body from your calves, legs in general, core, back, shoulders and chest (Note: I left out arms) with HEAVY compund movements for a long period of time ( example:2-3 months) followed by a bodybuilding program with the same given time, I think you can have overall better results rather then going back and forth on a daily basis.

Also Note that I'm only using general terms and by no means am I refrencing anything..I'm sure much muchh more experienced guys then me can pitch in on this. Basically my point here is that by splitting up a strength program then a bodybuilding program rather then doing bits of both, I think it can equate to better results..but thats just my theory as of March I do plan on trying myself but more along the line of ( 4 weeks strength training , then 4 weeks of bodybuilding training) for a test run.

J Wong
02-21-14, 11:32 am
I believe in doing both. Train the squat, bench, and deadlift heavier with sets of 5 and occasionally doing sets of 10-12 after your sets of 5 works well for a lot of people with the goals you seem to have. Also, I believe in training the main lifts heavier, but the other lifts "like a bodybuilder". I think rows, pulldowns, DB bench, shoulder presses, etc should all be done from 10-20 reps or so each set. Also, do not be afraid to train arms when trying to train for size/strength. I squat, bench, and deadlift a lot but I have small arms for weighing 240+ because I neglect direct arm work.

dannynb
02-21-14, 12:55 pm
I believe in doing both. Train the squat, bench, and deadlift heavier with sets of 5 and occasionally doing sets of 10-12 after your sets of 5 works well for a lot of people with the goals you seem to have. Also, I believe in training the main lifts heavier, but the other lifts "like a bodybuilder". I think rows, pulldowns, DB bench, shoulder presses, etc should all be done from 10-20 reps or so each set. Also, do not be afraid to train arms when trying to train for size/strength. I squat, bench, and deadlift a lot but I have small arms for weighing 240+ because I neglect direct arm work.

Agreed.

Joseph V
02-21-14, 11:39 pm
I 'll take that into great use, thanks for the advice guys. I was curious though in a strength program generally speaking is it safe to train biceps with less then 6 reps per set? I would like to know because considering compounds like deadlifts and bench presses or overhead presses i wouldnt want to burn them out too quickly.

I have read over the years that obviously training a smaller bosy part before a larger one is very stupid and can lead to tears. I've done mostly bodybuilding routines but i would like to transition to days where i do no more then 2 exercises for example one day ill do flat bench press followed bicep curls...or squatting then doing leg extentions.
Basically having to do one compound exercise followed by an exercise that can compliment that compound?..