PDA

View Full Version : Cardio during your rest periods

slicer
02-26-14, 8:01 pm
I was reading some articles on BB.com and run up on some Jim Stoppani routines and articles. In one of his Routines he would use 30s-1min of cardio between each set. I was wondering if this is actually viable as it would make doing cardio a little more enjoyable for me. I know I need to do some cardio to aid is cutting fat and improving my cardio but it is just so dam boring I can not do cardio for very long. Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated

Jay Nera
02-27-14, 1:30 am
I was reading some articles on BB.com and run up on some Jim Stoppani routines and articles. In one of his Routines he would use 30s-1min of cardio between each set. I was wondering if this is actually viable as it would make doing cardio a little more enjoyable for me. I know I need to do some cardio to aid is cutting fat and improving my cardio but it is just so dam boring I can not do cardio for very long. Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated

Do you have a link for the article?

Was it high intensity? moderate, slow…??

I know that my cross fitters burn fat like nobody's business…and their cardio is through the roof….BUT…it is not the best if you are trying to maintain a high amount of body mass either.

Bruiser
02-27-14, 7:55 am
To me it seems like it would be counterproductive for both the cardio factor and lifting factor. You're not keeping your heart up long enough to do any good for your cardio, and you're not letting your muscles rest to help with strength/muscle gains. Stick to doing the separately. Plus, something tells me you'd get some funny looks spastically jumping off the bench and running to an elyptical for 2-3 minutes and then running back. Don't be THAT GUY at the gym. Lol

Christman
02-27-14, 9:49 am
I've seen a small group of guys actually doing this at my gym. I was a little confused at what they were actually doing but then I remembered seeing an article about it on bb.com and recognized it. They were mostly just running in place or doing bench step ups between sets as they rotated in and out of the movement they were doing, so nothing too crazy. If it works for them, it's not bothering anyone else, and it keeps them going to the gym to improve themselves they can do whatever they need to do.

I don't think it is for me, I prefer to either rest or SS a different bodypart movement after I complete a set and do my cardio separately.

Swolepez
02-27-14, 12:49 pm
I have a friend who does this when cutting and honestly he's in pretty good shape.

As for me, I like to keep cardio and lifting separate so I can put 100% effort into each. I also feel the cardio may make your weights/ muscle gaining suffer a little bit Bc your still tired from the cardio between sets.

If your truly pressed for time then I don't see why not. I've never done it myself so I can't say if it's good or bad but again I think I would prefer to keep weights and cardio separate.

slicer
02-27-14, 1:42 pm
Thanks all for your replies and info. I couldn't find the article but I did also saw it on the Shortcut to Shred routine by Jim Stoppani on BB.com. It did seem a little counterproductive but I was hoping it would be a way to make doing cardio interesting LOL.

dannynb
02-27-14, 4:56 pm
It can help out when leaning out. I do something similar with my female competitors during show prep. My male competitors I avoid doing this to help maintain their muscle mass. If cardio is something you hate and are trying to lean out and not focused on mass phase, I suggest some HIIT cardio. I mix up steady state and HIIT with my athletes, especially those who can't stand steady state. Try the sled/prowler...15-20 minutes and you're good. Just be creative, hell I have a couple guys doing a mix of explosive kettle bell/ barbell circuits that last between 7-15 minutes and it keeps them lean year round. Cardio doesn't have to be boring treadmill/elliptical/stair master all the time.

slicer
02-28-14, 11:28 am
TY Danny. I wouldn't say Mass is not an issue as I would like to keep as much as I can. But Cardio is just so dam boring to me LOL. Right now I am working at a YMCA which I don't like but in my situation is the best I can right now so I don't have a sled/prowler. The Kettlebell/barbell circuits sound interesting if you could give me an example of that it would be much appreciated.

Swolepez
03-02-14, 6:30 pm
Does your YMCA have a stair-master?

I work at a YMCA as well so not a lot of equipment but we do have a stair-master. I put a 4lb BodyBar on my back, not for extra weight, but more for the feel of a walking lunge up stairs or something lol. It still sucks but I trick my mind into thinking it's more of a leg workout than just cardio....plus after just 30mins, I'm soaked I'm sweat.

Swolepez
03-02-14, 6:31 pm
^^^^ I also use the BodyBar so I'm not leaning on the stair master, thus not really burning all the calories I think I am

dannynb
03-02-14, 11:22 pm
Adjust weight, I use 135lbs

1 dead lift into
1 barbell row into
1 power clean into
1 front squat into
1 shoulder press into
1 back squat into
1 behind the neck press

7 rounds is 1 set, do 7 sets with 1 minute rest between sets

Or

3-5 rounds of:

Do not stop or let go of the bar, continue from 6 reps of one movement straight into the others.

6 dead lift
6 barbell rows
6 power cleans
6 push press

Again, just be creative.