PDA

View Full Version : Can I PL using an Upper/Lower split?

slicer
03-01-14, 10:01 am
After watching numerous Animal videos and using 5/3/1 a bit I really want to get into some PLing. I have found that I do love lifting some heavy ass weights LOL. I am wondering if and how I can use say a 5/3/1 or even Cube if possible as a Upper/Lower split? I would really like to combine PL with some BB lifts to improve my strength as well as muscle size and aesthetics if I can. At this early stage in my lifting my body seems to respond to better to using an Upper/Lower split atleast for now. Any help from the community will be greatly appreciated.

Ed Eliason
03-01-14, 11:21 am
Of course you can. Just do something like: Sunday, heavy overheads 1-3 reps followed by lighter bench 10 rep range. Monday heavy deads 1-3 rep followed by lower body assistance. Tuesday off. Wednesday heavy bench followed by lighter shoulders. Thursday off. Friday heavy squat followed by lower body assistance. Do some core work on the two lower days. Use a higher rep range for all your assistance work, upper and lower.

slicer
03-01-14, 3:36 pm
Of course you can. Just do something like: Sunday, heavy overheads 1-3 reps followed by lighter bench 10 rep range. Monday heavy deads 1-3 rep followed by lower body assistance. Tuesday off. Wednesday heavy bench followed by lighter shoulders. Thursday off. Friday heavy squat followed by lower body assistance. Do some core work on the two lower days. Use a higher rep range for all your assistance work, upper and lower.

TY very much for your info Ed.

Jay Nera
03-11-14, 1:04 am
FOR SURE!!! Its actually easier that way I would think.

DoubleTapJak
03-14-14, 4:12 pm
I switched recently from The Cube to Lane Norton's PHAT program. I like the mix of power days where I can lift heavy and hypertrophy days for volume and form work. At the end of the week I feel very balanced.