PDA

View Full Version : Sodapop joins the Navy

sodapop
03-05-14, 8:25 pm
What's up, guys? A few of you might remember me from a few years ago when I had a journey here. I fell off the wagon after a while and quit working out altogether.

Then, late last year, I enlisted in the U.S. Navy, tired of working jobs I felt were largely boring and insignificant. I wanted to *do* something, see the world, and have a chance to build a better future for myself. To compliment this, a couple months ago I started hitting the gym again (a Navy contract gets you a free membership at the local YMCA, which was certainly great incentive). My goals are to pack on some pounds, get stronger, and prepare to leave for basic training on May 18th, after which I will continue my fitness journey.

I'm currently 138 pounds at 5'9" and aiming to hit 160+, at which point I'll reevaluate and revise my goals accordingly. Note that I certainly do not expect to hit 160 before shipping out in May.

It's great to be back and I'm excited to push myself, now with even more incentive to get stronger. Thanks for checking out my journey.

I'm currently back on Rippetoe's SS, throwing in some of the exercises I'll have to test on at boot camp (Push-ups, sit-ups, run, and swim). I don't know how well my journey will fit in here because of the nature of my goals, but I've never found a fitness-related forum I liked more than this one, so hopefully y'all won't mind.

Here was my workout for today, March 5th:

Squat - 3x5 @ 205 lbs
Bench - 3x5 @ 130 lbs
BB Military Press - 2x5, 1x8 @ 75 lbs
Push-ups - 3x25
Sit-ups - 2x30

Again, thanks for checking out my journey. Glad to be here.

deanna7272
03-05-14, 10:40 pm
Glad to have ya back... Good luck with those goals brother...

Ed Eliason
03-07-14, 10:05 am
Sounds like you have a solid plan. Good luck.

sodapop
03-07-14, 12:47 pm
Thanks for checking it out, Ed and Deanna.

I was on short time today, between working and getting ready to go out of town, so I just hit the basics.

Squat 3x5 @ 210 lbs
DL 1x5 @ 125 lbs
Bent BB Rows 3x5 @ 115 lbs

Also been feeling pretty shitty the last couple days. Allergies or a cold or something. None of the lifts gave me too much trouble, though.

Swolepez
03-07-14, 3:20 pm
Subbed....congrats on joining the Navy. Anybody who puts their life on the line for freedom deserves the upmost respect.

Dman
03-07-14, 3:55 pm
What's up, guys? A few of you might remember me from a few years ago when I had a journey here. I fell off the wagon after a while and quit working out altogether.

Then, late last year, I enlisted in the U.S. Navy, tired of working jobs I felt were largely boring and insignificant. I wanted to *do* something, see the world, and have a chance to build a better future for myself. To compliment this, a couple months ago I started hitting the gym again (a Navy contract gets you a free membership at the local YMCA, which was certainly great incentive). My goals are to pack on some pounds, get stronger, and prepare to leave for basic training on May 18th, after which I will continue my fitness journey.

I'm currently 138 pounds at 5'9" and aiming to hit 160+, at which point I'll reevaluate and revise my goals accordingly. Note that I certainly do not expect to hit 160 before shipping out in May.

It's great to be back and I'm excited to push myself, now with even more incentive to get stronger. Thanks for checking out my journey.

I'm currently back on Rippetoe's SS, throwing in some of the exercises I'll have to test on at boot camp (Push-ups, sit-ups, run, and swim). I don't know how well my journey will fit in here because of the nature of my goals, but I've never found a fitness-related forum I liked more than this one, so hopefully y'all won't mind.

Here was my workout for today, March 5th:

Squat - 3x5 @ 205 lbs
Bench - 3x5 @ 130 lbs
BB Military Press - 2x5, 1x8 @ 75 lbs
Push-ups - 3x25
Sit-ups - 2x30

Again, thanks for checking out my journey. Glad to be here.

Respect to ya for joining the U.S Navy bro it takes heart to Serve and Protect us and our freedoms here and Awesome to hear your getting back to your goals best of training to you!!

knotahumanbeing
03-07-14, 5:13 pm
Congrats brother. Best of luck to you man. Thanks for your service. Ooh-rah

Stay Hungry
Rob

sodapop
03-10-14, 11:26 am
Thanks for all the support, everyone. I'm looking forward to the (presumably huge) life change!

sodapop
03-12-14, 11:10 pm
I opted not to work out Monday as I got sick on my trip, coupled with being incredibly sore from headbanging... The rest did me well.

Today:

Squat 3x5 @ 215 lb
Bench 3x5 @ 130 lb
DB Military Press 2x5, 1x12 @ 35 lb

Got home and ran 2 laps around my complex (will have to clock the distance later), stopping only at song changes to do sets of 25 push-ups.

Two laps, 4x25 push-ups. This was about a 13-to-14 minute circuit with no breaks.

Aaand I'm beat after driving around running errands all day.

Felt like shit at the beginning of my workout, but pushing past it was worth it and I felt strong by the end.

sodapop
03-16-14, 11:53 am
Friday's workout:

Squat 3x5 @ 220
Deadlift 1x5 @ 130
Bent BB Row 3x5 @ 120
Chin-ups 12, 6
Crunches 40, 30

Will likely do some running later on today.

sodapop
03-18-14, 8:31 pm
Had to switch over to Tues/Thurs/Sat this week because of unforeseen schedule issues...

Today:

Squat 3x5 @ 225 (hooray, two plates!)
Bench 3x5 @ 135 (hooray, one plate...!)
BB Military 3x5 @ 85
Crunches 40, 30

Will do another run circuit later tonight.

J Wong
03-18-14, 9:58 pm
Awesome...didn't realize you were here. You have a great squat at your level/bodyweight. Well, I guess you already knew that from the last time you were training consistently.

sodapop
03-18-14, 10:28 pm
Awesome...didn't realize you were here. You have a great squat at your level/bodyweight. Well, I guess you already knew that from the last time you were training consistently.

Thanks man. Definitely always felt strongest (comparatively) on squats. Bench is what gives me the most trouble, partially because my shoulder joints don't take it all that well.

sodapop
03-25-14, 3:57 pm
I sometimes can't get to a computer (laptop is fried) to post, hence my absence the last few days. Ended up having to do a couple workouts at the apartment gym last week. Did whatever I could with dumbbells/machines, along with some cardio.

Anyway, yesterday:

Squat 3x5 @ 230 lbs
DB Bench @ 50 lbs - 8, 8, 10
BB Military Press @ 90 lbs - 5, 5, 4.5
Dips 25, 20

The military press felt pretty heavy and I was struggling the entire third set. May try incline bench the next couple times to see if I can strengthen it.

sodapop
03-26-14, 10:38 pm
Today:

Squat 3x5 @ 235
Deadlift 1x5 @ 135
Bent Rows 3x5 @ 125
Pull-ups 12, 6

Joint(s) around my tailbone are killing right now; think I might've stressed something... And while my dips have gone up significantly, my pull-ups seem to remain stagnant. Not quite sure what to do about that. Squats felt really heavy today and I'm actually worried I wasn't squatting deep enough. Might have to do a form-check next time. Couldn't run because of the pain in my lower back. We'll see how I feel in the next couple of days.

J Wong
03-26-14, 10:51 pm
Get some video if you can (does Sabrina go with you to take a video?) and post it up or just send it to me.

As for the pain, if it hurts a little bit too much don't try and tough it out. Be smart...taking a week off from lower body work isn't the end of the world and it'll be more beneficial in the long run rather than getting hurt worse/delaying recovery.

BCent
03-27-14, 9:38 am
Much respect for joining the Navy- I have a lot of friends who've done it, nothing but respect.

sodapop
03-27-14, 12:11 pm
Get some video if you can (does Sabrina go with you to take a video?) and post it up or just send it to me.

As for the pain, if it hurts a little bit too much don't try and tough it out. Be smart...taking a week off from lower body work isn't the end of the world and it'll be more beneficial in the long run rather than getting hurt worse/delaying recovery.

Nah, she doesn't have a membership there. I may just try to set my phone up and see if I can get a decent video of it, or ask someone to take one.

My back feels a lot better today, though not 100%. I think it will be fine by tomorrow, but we'll see. I''m gonna start incorporating some good back stretches; I always stretch before lifting, but I don't think I do enough for my back.

sodapop
03-27-14, 12:11 pm
Much respect for joining the Navy- I have a lot of friends who've done it, nothing but respect.

Thanks for the nice words and checking out my journey.