PDA

View Full Version : ass to grass

g.lloyd2001
03-14-14, 3:15 am
so, I've recently started squatting this way. I've dropped the weight that I'm using down from 315 to 185, trying to get my form the way that it needs to be. I definitely feel more burn and it feels comfortable, but I've noticed that after I workout, aside from being sore, that my knee hurts when walking up and down stairs. I've been squatting this way for about 3 weeks. I've never had this problem while squatting to parallel, even while repping 315. is this normal. or should I go back to squatting parallel and put the heavier weight back on the bar??

any help or advice would be awesome.

thanks!

zasker
03-14-14, 6:36 am
I had a very very similar problem last year, i dont wan tto scare you our out but heres what happened....

Eventually it got to the point where my knee locked and i had to get another dude at the gym to help me get it moving. i went off to hospital after seeing my doc, i had some xrays and mri scans and it turned out i was under training the vastus medialis because my form was off.

It was an easy fix, just doing more single leg exercises and after 6 weeks or so i was sorted and i got my mate whos a PT/physio to watch over me for a month or so and I'm alright now :)

Personally i never go ass to grass because of this, i do my squats to a point where my legs are parallel to the ground but if i fancy hitting my quads harder ill do leg extensions and leg press and even box squats.

zasker
03-14-14, 6:37 am
oh also, i bought a cheap ass pair of knee wraps. I try not to use them but take them every leg day and if my knees feel even the slightest bit of pain i stop, rest and put them on,.

naturalguy
03-14-14, 9:09 am
If you are getting knee pain then that is your body telling you something. Maybe ATG squats are not for you.

Big Wides
03-14-14, 9:24 am
so, I've recently started squatting this way. I've dropped the weight that I'm using down from 315 to 185, trying to get my form the way that it needs to be. I definitely feel more burn and it feels comfortable, but I've noticed that after I workout, aside from being sore, that my knee hurts when walking up and down stairs. I've been squatting this way for about 3 weeks. I've never had this problem while squatting to parallel, even while repping 315. is this normal. or should I go back to squatting parallel and put the heavier weight back on the bar??

thanks!

Just squat to parallel, as long as you continually squat to this depth your legs will develop. As long as your not doing 1/4 squats you'll be fine

Layhoo
03-14-14, 10:47 am
Mobility work can help too if you aren't doing any. I increased my squat depth and started having patella pain when sitting for extended periods of time. Turns out I just had a tight IT band and after a few weeks of rolling/stretching I was g2g.

KettleBellFreak
03-14-14, 1:55 pm
I like deeper squats. I think think going just below parallel brings up that elastic effect.

But as total personal speculation.
There is no point in touching your hammies to your calves on a regular basis unless your an oly lifter who has to catch snatches and cleans below parallel. Every now and again though when a front squat goes a little farther below parallel than I like, I definitely have to work to keep my back and shoulders positioned properly when i hit such low depths. Overall i feel it adds a bit more rsik to the lift but there is nothing wrong with it if you're comfortable in the position.

rbowman91
03-14-14, 2:27 pm

thanks!

its probably a form issue. find an accomplished powerlifter (or three) at your gym and have them critique. or better yet find a reputable coach and buy a squat session with them. it will cost you a few bucks but could save you thousands in medical bills down the road.

one thing that also helps, is to actually warm up the knees before squatting to get the sinovial fluid running through em. i used to hit 4 sets of 15 on leg extensions with really light weight and squeeze my quads on every rep. this will warm up your knees.

also throw on a knee sleeve when things get painful and that will help too.

DoubleTapJak
03-14-14, 4:10 pm
I would definitely say listen to your body on this one, don't just keep pushing through. Either get someone to check your form, whether it's a form video that you post somewhere or find someone else who has success with them. You could try knee wraps or even band training to help you out of the hole. Joint pain with squats isn't a joke though, need to take it seriously. Also make sure to be doing plenty of stretching and warming up.

Jay Nera
03-26-14, 1:44 am
put a video up and lets take a look at it.