PDA

View Full Version : A life of aches and pains

Rex
03-15-14, 10:25 pm
Life can be painful in many different ways. Im sure we all agree to that...

But what do you guys do if some of that pain can be avoided. Im talking about the physical pain every serious lifter has to deal with. Tendinitis, strains, arthritis and so on...
Do you suck it up and push through or do you use NSAIDs to ease up the symptoms?

If yes, what do you use and how?

If no, what else do you do to be able to keep lifitng as hard and heavy as ever?

Cellardweller
03-15-14, 11:29 pm
Its funny that you posted this. I just finished writing about my aches and pains here

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?41808-Crisis-Situation&p=1367815#post1367815

Personally I don't like taking anti inflammatories unless I really need to. Ice and some good old fashioned Icey Hot are usually my staples. I know there are probably better muscle creams out there but that's what I stick to. Other than that I make sure I've got a can of FLEX and I rest the joint or train around it if it's bad. ACE wraps and splints/ braces are good for when something is really bad. There are some things I just cannot do anymore. Skullcrushers and upright rows are on my no fly list due to guarenteed elbow pain for example. We had a thread about ice baths before. If you're really beat up that would be a good way to go too.

intoodeep25
03-16-14, 12:45 pm
I use an ice bath once or twice a month. I use Epsom salt loaded hot baths weekly.

Swolepez
03-16-14, 3:10 pm
I think things like proper warming up and stretching can help the small things. Ice baths, rehabilitation, massage therapy: these are all things that can help as well. I think a chiropractor can also be very valuable Bc it deals with the spine which is the center of everything in your body.

TheVegetarianStrongman
03-16-14, 3:40 pm
As Swole said above, chiropractors are real game changers, no doubt about it!

Rex
03-16-14, 7:23 pm
Thanks, guys! Some great input so far. I appreciate your suggestions

Ice baths and Epsom salt baths sound interesting... I might have to look into those.

I have developed tendinitis in my knee. Its only been there for maybe 2 weeks, but I am 12 weeks out from my next show and I am thinking about simply getting it shot with cortisone. At this point in time I dont have time to pussyfoot around. Anyone ever had a cortisone shot?

G Diesel
03-17-14, 9:10 am
Funny, but I don't think aspirin gets the credit it deserves... I only use it when I need it, and find it really effective for headaches.

It is old school and basic, but potentially far less harsh than some of the other OTC pain meds.

Peace, G

Swolepez
03-17-14, 9:28 am
I believe medicine has it's place in life but honestly I rather go to a chiropractor or massage therapist or whatever and actually heal the spine or get rid of the knots/aches. I feel this will help the body heal naturally on its own. I think medicine kind of just "mask" the pain but doesn't heal it. I rather pay a good amount of money up front to go to a chiropractor which will allow the body to heal on its own than pay for medicine the rest of my life just to "mask" my pain. Again, ice baths are another solid option.

smoothballer
03-17-14, 10:10 am
I have dealt with lower back issues for about 2 years now. I finally saw a spinal doctor last November, went to a PT for a month which only made things worse, then got facet joint injections that didn't help, then finally a month ago saw a PT that specializes in athletes and works for the Browns and D1 Schools (he is also a former Westside member back in the 90's). He showed me exactly how to strengthen my core to not hurt the facet joints and showed me stretches to loose that area. I am finally limiting my pain and know exactly what to do when it arises.

The real problem (besides the initial injury) was letting it rest. I basically quit deadlifting and squatting to try to let it heal. Well this only made my core weaker and brought the pain on 100 times worse. So now I am strengthening my core 2-3 times per week the right way, doing the stretches daily, back to squatting and deadlifting (got a lot of help from Richard Hawthorne in C-bus on proper form so I don't get injured again). On my own I am working on mobility daily which is something I suck at. Time to be proactive..

Rex
03-19-14, 6:52 pm
Funny, but I don't think aspirin gets the credit it deserves... I only use it when I need it, and find it really effective for headaches.

It is old school and basic, but potentially far less harsh than some of the other OTC pain meds.

Peace, G

I agree. For headaches it works great. I also helps relief some of the symptoms when you have the flu or a bad cold. I think the increased blood flow just makes you feel better...

Would you say Aspirin also helps with tendinitis or joint pain?