PDA

View Full Version : Calculating reps for working sets

Jeppeehh
03-18-14, 8:36 am
Hi, I just wonder if anyone of you guys know any smart way to "find out" what weight you are gonna use if you're doing high reps like.. 12-20? Thinking about switching up my training a bit from low reps like 3/5's since that doesn't really affect me much atm, from what I feel.. But then to the problem, it's so much easier to find a 5 rep weight, that is hard enough for you to complete couple of working sets, than finding a weight that's good for like 20 or 15x3. Can't seem to find any calculator for that either. Maybe I should just guess the first week, if the session felt too easy then up the weight next time.

The reason why I will try to get strength from high reps is because I know that I made bigger strength gains last year before wrist injury/inflammation etc. I never did sets with like 5, often singles and sets of 10+ that took the shit out of me (which means heavy weight for high reps). So why not try a month of like 12/15/20 weeks, with maybe singles incorporated.

Maye it works, maybe it doesnt, I will find out!
-Jesper

Swolepez
03-18-14, 9:03 am
http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/orm.htm

Try this one. You type in how much weight and it estimates 1 rep max and then you can use the CoEfficient to estimate how much weight you can use for your "goal" rep range.

rbowman91
03-18-14, 10:55 am
Hi, I just wonder if anyone of you guys know any smart way to "find out" what weight you are gonna use if you're doing high reps like.. 12-20? Thinking about switching up my training a bit from low reps like 3/5's since that doesn't really affect me much atm, from what I feel.. But then to the problem, it's so much easier to find a 5 rep weight, that is hard enough for you to complete couple of working sets, than finding a weight that's good for like 20 or 15x3. Can't seem to find any calculator for that either. Maybe I should just guess the first week, if the session felt too easy then up the weight next time.

The reason why I will try to get strength from high reps is because I know that I made bigger strength gains last year before wrist injury/inflammation etc. I never did sets with like 5, often singles and sets of 10+ that took the shit out of me (which means heavy weight for high reps). So why not try a month of like 12/15/20 weeks, with maybe singles incorporated.

Maye it works, maybe it doesnt, I will find out!
-Jesper

just test it next time you train. work up to whatever your desired rep range is, and thats your weight.

Jay Nera
03-28-14, 11:56 pm
just test it next time you train. work up to whatever your desired rep range is, and thats your weight.

Exactly. No rep calculator in that rep range is going to be accurate. Most rep calculators don't go past 10 reps…. As a matter of fact rep calculators only give ball parks anyway. Many are different…giving different numbers. You can use any rep calculator to give you a ballpark… and then shoot for it.

For example….. Kade's 700 x 11 in the deadlift gives him over 933(700x10reps)…..I hope one day Kade pulls over 900…but right now…nope… ..REP CALCULATOR FAIL

Decide whether you consider yourself better at reps or heavy singles in comparison the to tables…and then test it out.