PDA

View Full Version : GYM REVIEW: Strength Discovery, Revere, MA

TheVegetarianStrongman
03-20-14, 10:11 pm
Strength Discovery
41 Marble St
Revere, MA
Owner: Dave Memont.

I would like to offer a personal review of Strength Discovery, all from personal experience having called this facility my strongman home since July 2013.

Ownership: Dave Memont is a certified strength and conditioning coach with an extensive personal background competing in grip and strongman, having previously owned several world grip records. Dave is a former Marine and brought his never-say-never mentality to his facility, forever challenging himself and others to be the best possible versions of themselves that they can be. He is knowledgeable in strength/conditioning, youth fitness, nutrition and much more.

Price: this I cannot review as Dave is a personal friend and has taken me under his wing of sorts, but from what I understand his rates are more than comparable to the surrounding areas.

Facility (structural): Large garage style layout with 2 bathrooms (no locker/shower facilities) and 2 large offices. Tall ceilings and utilizes the space to it' fullest capacity (will explain in next section).

Facility (equipment): Before I run down a list of equipment that this facility offers I would like to mention the innovative equipment Dave brought to Strength Discovery. The following are just a few unique training "equipment" examples at SD:
-Hanging roof rafter climbing rope
-Hanging roof rafter rope monkey "bars"
-Wall moutned moveable climbing peg board
-Hay bail lever/pulley sandbag training system

The following are just a few examples of unique strongman and cross-training pieces of equipment:
-Concrete blocks
-Tires
-Sledgehammers
-Axle mountable tires/rims
-Various grip tools
-COC
-Ironmind
-V-bar 1"/2"
-Fire hydrants
-Yoke
-Viking press
-Conans Wheel
-Sleds/Prowlers
-Logs
-Medicine balls
-Smash balls
-Rings
-Chains

The following is a general list of other equipment available at SD:
-Oly bars
-6' ez-bars
-Women's oly bars
-Bench
-Rack system
-SS yoke bar
-Axle bars 2"/3"
-Oly plates
-Bumper plates

Atmosphere: The atmosphere at Strength Discovery is up beat, positive, motivating, challenging. Dave brings the best to his clients, athletes and members, and in turn the give their absolute best right back!

In Closing: I have been smashing PR's at this facility since beginning my training here, and plan on continuing that trend moving forward! If you live in the Boston, MA area or are traveling through I not only recommend Strength Discovery but I implore you to check this place out!!

Get it!!!!

Christman
04-03-14, 1:09 pm
This place looks bad ass. I will be staying down by the convention center April 10-13 and will have to go train here as it looks relatively close. Thanks for posting this review, this is just the kind of place I am looking for.

TheVegetarianStrongman
04-03-14, 2:03 pm
This place looks bad ass. I will be staying down by the convention center April 10-13 and will have to go train here as it looks relatively close. Thanks for posting this review, this is just the kind of place I am looking for.

That's terrific, glad I could help! Ironically enough it's looking like that's one of the two weekends I won't be there this month haha, but be sure to get in touch with Dave beforehand and let him know you saw my review of Strength Discovery here on the forums, that way he knows I was showing some love!

-Justin

Christman
04-03-14, 3:07 pm
That's terrific, glad I could help! Ironically enough it's looking like that's one of the two weekends I won't be there this month haha, but be sure to get in touch with Dave beforehand and let him know you saw my review of Strength Discovery here on the forums, that way he knows I was showing some love!

-Justin

Will do Justin, I'm planning on giving them a call before I head up there so I can get some details.

TheVegetarianStrongman
04-04-14, 3:22 pm
Will do Justin, I'm planning on giving them a call before I head up there so I can get some details.

Saturdays he opens early for a class and some clients, then strongman from 11-2pm. Sunday's I have no clue what his day is like there, definitely give him a shout, he's good people!