PDA

View Full Version : Can't sleep...help

DoubleTapJak
04-03-14, 11:33 am
Several times in my life I've gone through bouts of insomnia that I can't pin down to one reason. They've come during college months and during summer, at times of high stress and no stress. I'm going through another one right now and it's starting to really affect my grades, work, training/recovery. It's not stress, things are overall pretty good. Head over heels with my girlfriend, no drama there, grades are good, training is good, no money problems. Yet I lay in bed wide awake for hours. Nothing's on my mind and my body and brain are exhausted. Sleep's just not coming.

Things I've tried:
Melatonin - no noticeable effect
Nyquil - still lay awake, everything's hazy though
Scotch - if I drink enough to pass out I'll wake up around 2-3am wide awake when it wears off, and the next day is going to be bad
Diphenhydramine (generic sleep aid) - doesn't help fall asleep but I will oversleep and wake up with a pounding headache, still foggy hours later

Haven't seen a doctor about it yet. I really don't like the idea of a prescription sleep aid but it may come to that.

Current stak:
EC - last dose of caffeine around 4:30pm (100mg)
Pak
Flex
Nitro
Stak - just started

My first thought was maybe caffeine is still in my system so I tried cutting it out for over a week and still had the same sleep issues. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

N. Motta
04-03-14, 11:36 am
Do you look at any kind of illuminated screen, within 60 minutes of laying down? I've heard a lot that we really shouldn't do that. Messes with our bodies natural ability to sense that the darkness means it's bedtime.

Ever tried meditating for 15 minutes before bed?

G Diesel
04-03-14, 11:43 am
My man. Here are a couple of suggestions...

1) Get that last dose of caffeine in earlier in the day.
2) Fresh air cardio, even if just a brisk walk, might go a long way.
3) Animal PM or ZMA Pro are worth a shot. They work amazingly well for me.
4) Try something like Sleepytime tea before bed. Very calming. Tea in general just makes me feel good at night, but make sure whatever it is, it is decaf.
5) Try reading--especially content that isn't highly exciting, motivating or stressful. The ritual of reading is relaxing.
6) Control your breathing. Focus on breathing deeply and clearing your head.

I struggle with this sometimes too, largely because there are always a million things on my mind, making me crazy. The above tips have served me well in getting the most of the rest I'm able to get.

Peace, G

DoubleTapJak
04-03-14, 12:18 pm
Do you look at any kind of illuminated screen, within 60 minutes of laying down? I've heard a lot that we really shouldn't do that. Messes with our bodies natural ability to sense that the darkness means it's bedtime.

I've heard that about screens as well. I'll try to drop the phone sooner before bed and see how that works. I can't say I have ever given meditation a serious try before. I'm honestly not even sure where to start.

4) Try something like Sleepytime tea before bed. Very calming. Tea in general just makes me feel good at night, but make sure whatever it is, it is decaf.
5) Try reading--especially content that isn't highly exciting, motivating or stressful. The ritual of reading is relaxing.

I struggle with this sometimes too, largely because there are always a million things on my mind, making me crazy. The above tips have served me well in getting the most of the rest I'm able to get.

Peace, G

Thanks, G. The fresh air would be a good change. Between work and school I'm rarely outside for more than a few minutes unless it's the weekend. The reading is going to be tough since normally I'm reading schoolbooks until bed. I'll focus on breathing tonight and see how that works.

N. Motta
04-03-14, 2:45 pm
I've heard that about screens as well. I'll try to drop the phone sooner before bed and see how that works. I can't say I have ever given meditation a serious try before. I'm honestly not even sure where to start.

A couple times that I've tried it, I played some meditation music I found on youtube and I just laid on my back in the living room and only thought about my breathing. Not sure if that's the "right" way, but it really felt good.

Dman
04-04-14, 6:37 pm

Peace, G

Those are some great suggestions right there I been having the same problem constantly on and off but gettin some fresh air is what helped for me alot just to get outside and walk can do wonders. Also I added the Animal P.M and has helped tons, you wake up feeling fully re-energized and more recoverd from sleep and hard training! Another tip would be to maybe throw on some chill out music that relax's you like post rock or jazz might help get your body in more of a relaxed state. Hope some of these tips can help!!

jeff00z28
04-07-14, 12:18 am

I have noticed this myself. Also anything that involves a lot of brain, like studying for work, or any type of large decision.

knotahumanbeing
04-07-14, 3:24 am
I suffer from several sleep disorders as well man, so I can feel your pain. ZMA has helped and I use to take ibuprofen pm without having to use prescriptions, bc it's expensive as shit, however to save my liver I stopped the ibuprofen pm. I know you said you've tried melatonin before, but you may want to look into again. I currently take anywhere from 10-15 mg of time release melatonin a night before bed, it's served me well over the last 5 months, plus it's a cheap alternative to prescriptions or anything else. Like 5 bucks for 100 capsules. It's a natural formula, as it contains many vitamins like vitamin b6., I feel less drowsy in the morning, unlike Nyquil or ibuprofen pm where you're still drowsy for hours upon waking because its still in your system. Some of the other things G mentioned to help relax your mind/body would also help. If all else fails, you may have to see a doc. I unfortunately found out about one of my sleeping disorders while on the operating table, the second time almost killed me, extreme instance but you want to be safe than sorry. Hope a little bit of this helps, hit me up if you have any other questions.

Rob

deanna7272
04-07-14, 8:26 am
Good suggestions here, I also deal with insomnia from time to time... PM or ZMA are good options for some... I haven't had the best experience with them because they give me very vivid dreams and some of the ones that I have experienced were nightmares... I can't deal with that.

As far as melatonin, Bodey takes 3 mg every night and it works wonders for him. Me, not so much... I started using the gummy versions and I am upwards of 10mg and it relaxes me enough (IF I don't fight it)... That is my go to for issues... I'm not only to take anything on the regular, but from time to time, I have turned to the gummies!!

My issues seem to be centered around my medication... The only thing I take is my ADHD medication (Adderral)... Understanding the nature of the medicine, it's a stimulant, BUT if you suffer from ADD/ADHD it actually acts differently and slows us down. My issues seem to come about if I stop taking my medicine (run out and can't get to Dr. For a couple days because of my schedule, etc). I have actually had incidents where I wouldn't take it as often over Christmas OR summer break, and I stopped taking it when I had started another med for a back issue that I had at the time... Without it, I CANNOT slow my mind enough to relax... I start to think of weird stuff, like what if someone broke into my house, would I hear them, what would I do? Crazy stuff because my mind wouldn't stop...

I hope that you find out what is causing your issues... I'm interested to hear other's suggestions also...

G Diesel
04-07-14, 9:20 am

Not to be contrary, but to some extent, I've found the opposite to also be effective. If you can find something to "watch" or listen to that is the right combination of boring and interesting that has worked wonders for me in the past--CSPAN, sports talk radio, etc. It can be a good distraction that can allow your mind to wander in a way that isn't stimulating.

Peace, G

DoubleTapJak
04-07-14, 9:27 am
I suffer from several sleep disorders as well man, so I can feel your pain. ZMA has helped and I use to take ibuprofen pm without having to use prescriptions, bc it's expensive as shit, however to save my liver I stopped the ibuprofen pm. I know you said you've tried melatonin before, but you may want to look into again. I currently take anywhere from 10-15 mg of time release melatonin a night before bed, it's served me well over the last 5 months, plus it's a cheap alternative to prescriptions or anything else. Like 5 bucks for 100 capsules. It's a natural formula, as it contains many vitamins like vitamin b6., I feel less drowsy in the morning, unlike Nyquil or ibuprofen pm where you're still drowsy for hours upon waking because its still in your system. Some of the other things G mentioned to help relax your mind/body would also help. If all else fails, you may have to see a doc. I unfortunately found out about one of my sleeping disorders while on the operating table, the second time almost killed me, extreme instance but you want to be safe than sorry. Hope a little bit of this helps, hit me up if you have any other questions.

Rob

Thanks, Rob. I guess since it's so cheap and doesn't have any real downsides there's no reason to not try melatonin again. Appreciate the advice, brother. I'm glad you caught your disorder when you did.

Good suggestions here, I also deal with insomnia from time to time... PM or ZMA are good options for some... I haven't had the best experience with them because they give me very vivid dreams and some of the ones that I have experienced were nightmares... I can't deal with that.

As far as melatonin, Bodey takes 3 mg every night and it works wonders for him. Me, not so much... I started using the gummy versions and I am upwards of 10mg and it relaxes me enough (IF I don't fight it)... That is my go to for issues... I'm not only to take anything on the regular, but from time to time, I have turned to the gummies!!

My issues seem to be centered around my medication... The only thing I take is my ADHD medication (Adderral)... Understanding the nature of the medicine, it's a stimulant, BUT if you suffer from ADD/ADHD it actually acts differently and slows us down. My issues seem to come about if I stop taking my medicine (run out and can't get to Dr. For a couple days because of my schedule, etc). I have actually had incidents where I wouldn't take it as often over Christmas OR summer break, and I stopped taking it when I had started another med for a back issue that I had at the time... Without it, I CANNOT slow my mind enough to relax... I start to think of weird stuff, like what if someone broke into my house, would I hear them, what would I do? Crazy stuff because my mind wouldn't stop...

I hope that you find out what is causing your issues... I'm interested to hear other's suggestions also...

I know a few people with ADD/ADHD that have had sleep issues for years. I'm glad you're finding ways to fight it. Last night was another bad night for me. I hate it when it hits while my girlfriend is staying over because I'm so worried about disturbing her that I feel like that gets in my head and makes it worse. Of course she'd understand but she has to work early too. I had no caffeine yesterday, normal meals and one beer at a friend's house. Nothing crazy, very calm day overall. Yet I was still awake to watch the time change to 2am.