PDA

View Full Version : Per Aspera Ad Astra

Anta
04-29-14, 4:26 am
I'll just be posting my workout on here, just to keep track... so if anyone actually sees this, feel free to ask/comment/whatever.

So, my plan for the next 10 weeks is:

The Cube (365strong)

4 days per week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday)

For those who don't know, the Cube is a 9 week program, with 3 progressive mini-cycles.
Each cycle lasts 3 weeks, and each week the rep/weight range for the Big 3 is different.
You have a Heavy Day, a Rep Day and an Explosive Day.
The order in which you do the movements is always the same throughout the program:
- Monday is Deadlift Day
- Tuesday is Bench Day
- Thursday is Squat Day
- Friday is Bodybuilding/Weak points Day

So the order never changes, but the intensity and type of training does. So in a 3 week cycle you have:
- 1 heavy, 1 explosive and 1 repetition Deadlift Day (in that order)
- 1 explosive, 1 repetition and 1 heavy Bench Day
- 1 repetition, 1 heavy and 1 explosive Squat Day

And you just do this 3 times (each mini-cycle is progressive in intensity) and after the 9 week program, you either do a meet or test your maxes in the gym.

The theory behind this is that you can progress slowly but steadily, because you don't exert yourself that much (only once every 2.5 months or so), you build work capacity and volume over time and you work all the aspects of the lifts all the time, you hone your craft so to speak. And you stay strong throughout the year (hence the name). And even if you make minimal progress per 10 week program (or I should call it 'mesocycle' or just 'cycle'), which is 5lbs (2.5kg) per lift, and you do 5 cycles per year, that's 25lbs (12.5kg*) per lift per year. And if you stick to it for a few years... just do the math.

So, basically, that's what's drawn me to the program. The longevity and slow-but-steady approach.

In the next posts I'll be outlining my plan for the first 10 (it's 9 actually) week cycle.

Pozdrav!

Anta
04-29-14, 4:54 am
OK, Monday is Deadlift Day. I really like this because I love deadlifts and in 5/3/1, I used to do squats on Monday. But since I'm lazy on Sunday, squats didn't come so easy on Monday, mobility and energy-wise. So, right off the bat, I like this approach.

My current plan for Mondays is:

Main + Accessory Movements:
Deadlift
Deadlift off 5.5'' (14cm) blocks
Deficit Deadlift (from 3'' - 8cm) *the set/rep/weight scheme is predetermined by the program for these 3 movements, but I won't post the percentages, I'll be posting as I start the program

Supplement Movements:
SLDL (3x10-12) *I know, it's a little too much. But I figured I just do it, since my lower back and legs won't get much action until Squat Day (Thursday). Also, my hams and erectors need strength and size. And this rep-range is low impact on the body, since I'll probably be using around 200-220lbs for start.
Hip Thrusts (3x10-12) * These aren't that demanding on the whole body, so I'll put them in. I've never seriously done these, so I'm excited to try it out. Also on Monday I'll be doing the higher rep-range for hypertrophy, and on Friday I'll do 5-6 rep-range for more strength in the glute-ham area
DB rows (3x15-20) *I've never done these in this rep-range, so this will be interesting to recover from. Also, my upper back needs work.
Wide pullups (3xAMRAP) *This is something that Brandon Lilly recommends in his books, so I've put it in. But I'm not a big fan of that type of work (to failure). If I feel it the first 3-4 weeks - I'll keep it.

Abs:
Ab Roller + Side-bends (3 supersets of 10 + 12 each side) *Roller is something I'll be doing a lot of. It's primarily because I don't use a belt, and also it's cool when you can do it with a lot of weight. Side-bends are for stability (also benefit when going beltless).

Maybe it's overdoing it, but I'm used to this type of training. And the supplemental movements will only be done to the point when the weak points are fixed, so hopefully not for long lol

***One more thing... I don't like the empirical system of measures (inches, pounds...) so I'll be using the metric system from now on. For everyone using pounds - just multiply the kilograms (kg) by 2.2 and you'll get your pounds.

Pozdrav!

Anta
04-29-14, 5:13 am
Tuesday is usual Bench Day.
So here it goes:

Bench Press *my bench press style is almost Close-Grip, I grip it 2cm from the smooth area. This is because I injured my rotators a while ago and I switched from wide to close. But I'll be doing some rotator work after Tuesday workout, so I hope I can go wider in the future in order to lift that there weight.
Close-Grip Bench Press *I'll be grabbing with index finger on the smooth part.
Wide-Grip Paused Bench *This is for chest power and to get used to wider grip. I think I'll grab with the ring finger on the rings, I'll see.

Supplement Movements:
Incline Paused Bench Press (3x6-8) *It's for strength off the chest and for triceps and chest development
Incline Chest-Supported DB Rows (3x12-15) *This I saw some lifters do, and since my lower back will probably fried from Monday, chest supported is the way to go.
Incline DB Press (3x10-15) *just for front delt and upper chest hypertrophy
Chin-ups (3xAMRAR) *The same as Monday. I'll see how I feel

Abs:
Hanging Leg Raises + Rear Delt Raise (3 supersets of 10 + 15-20) *I know RDR isn't abs lol, but I figured to put it with Leg Raises, just to save some time, because they're easy on the body

And after workout - the Rotator Work:
3 cycles of:
15 Cuban rotations with DBs
12 Internal rotations with a cable (per side)
15 Front Delt Raises (I'm thinking EZ bar)
10 Reverse EZ curls

All this should last around 2 hours, if I keep the rest periods around 1.5min for the Main lifts, around 1 for Supps an no rest for Abs and Rotators.

Pozdrav!

Anta
04-29-14, 5:26 am
Thursday is new Squat Day. This should feel better that doing them on Mondays, since I'll be more active before the workout - more mobility and more energy, hopefully.
This is the layout:

Squat *I do a hybrid variation, bar between top of traps and rear delts. But I'll try low bar on Friday (02.05.2014.) an see how it feels.
Front Squat *They're THAT important (who says that? lol), so I'll be doing them on Friday as well (on my Bodybuilding Day)
Paused Squat *I'll bring my stance closer on these

Supplement Movements:
Leg Curls (3x10-12) *Hamstrings need work
Romanian Deadlifts (3x10-12) *I got weak erectors, so I'll be incorporating these
Shrugs with bar on back (3x8-10) *These are supposed to make your traps stronger so that the heavier squat weights feel lighter on your back. I'll try these as well on Friday (02.05.2014.) and see if I can feel the movement. If yes - great. If not - I'll switch it with Snatch Grip Deadlifts.
Sternum Chin-ups (3xAMRAR)

Abs:
Standing Crunches + Side planks (3 supersets of 12-15 + 30s each side)

This is the loosest of the 4 days, in terms of the certainty of the exercises. I might change things up as I go with the program (not the Main and Accessory Movements, but the Supplements).

Pozdrav!

Anta
04-29-14, 5:47 am
Friday is Bodybuilding/Weak-point Day. On this day, the idea is (according to B. Lilly) to attack weak points and body parts and to have an extra day for building more muscle.
My Friday template looks like this:

Standing Military Press (4x8-12)
EZ bar strict curls (3x10-12) *like in a curl competition, ass and back against a wall - no cheating - pure biceps
Standing Calf Raises (3x12-15) *this is just to give the calves some attention. I've always had big strong calves, but it can't hurt to do some once a week.
**these 3 movements above are like the Main Friday Movements, so they don't change. The movements bellow are the actual weak-point attack:
Hip Thrusts (4x5-6) *glute strength!
Front Squats (3x10-12) *This is for quad strength and size, also to hone technique for this movement
Front Raises (3x12-15) *I'll use DBs for these on Friday
Upright Rows (3x12-15) *I'll be careful with these, start light and focus on the muscle contraction

Supersets:
Lateral Raises + AbRoller (3x 15-20 + 10)
Band Face Pulls + Rear Delt Raises (3x 12 + 15-20)

I like this scheme. It is kinda grueling and high-volume, but my body will adapt, and plus I'll have 2 days off afterwards, so any soreness and fatigue should almost disappear by Monday. And even if it doesn't, as long as it progressively decreases weekend to weekend, it's still adaptation and that means that the work capacity is slowly building and more muscle is growing week from week.

So that's my 9 weeks of the Cube.
I'll be posting after every training session every day, so you'll get to see all this in action.

Pozdrav!

Anta
04-29-14, 10:35 am
My goals after this 9 week cycle are:

Deadlift - 180kg (that would be 106%, but I'll try 185kg as well hopefully, which would be 109% - so in order to get that, I'll have to go like this in my attempts --> 92.5%, 97.5%, 106% and if I feel I can do more with good form, I'll try 185kg)

Bench Press - 125kg (this also depends on how I feel, and on what's my technical max now - if it's 120kg, then my goal is 125kg, and if it's 122.5kg then I'll shoot for 127.5kg; if by some chance it's 122.5kg, then my goal will definetely be 130kg)

Squat - 145kg (this depends on my current (untested) max - if it's 135kg then my goal is 140kg, and if it's 140kg, then my goal is 145kg)

My current (technical) maxes are:

Deadlift - 170kg
Bench Press - *I'll test it today, and post it. I guess it should be around 120-122.5kg.
Squat - *I'll test it on Friday (02.05.2014.) and post it then. I guess it should be around 135-140kg.

**Keep in mind, I'm not using a belt on any of these, nor would I use it in a competition (if I go to one). And these are all technical maxes, which means that I could do maybe 5kg more on each, but sacrifice good form.

**I'll repost this tonight after I test my bench press, and again on Friday after I test my squat.

Anta
04-29-14, 4:47 pm

Deadlift - 180kg (that would be 106%, but I'll try 185kg as well hopefully, which would be 109% - so in order to get that, I'll have to go like this in my attempts --> 92.5%, 97.5%, 106% and if I feel I can do more with good form, I'll try 185kg)

Bench Press - 125kg (this also depends on how I feel, and on what's my technical max now - if it's 120kg, then my goal is 125kg, and if it's 122.5kg then I'll shoot for 127.5kg; if by some chance it's 122.5kg, then my goal will definetely be 130kg)

Squat - 145kg (this depends on my current (untested) max - if it's 135kg then my goal is 140kg, and if it's 140kg, then my goal is 145kg)

Deadlift - 170kg
Bench Press - *I'll test it today, and post it. I guess it should be around 120-122.5kg.
Squat - *I'll test it on Friday (02.05.2014.) and post it then. I guess it should be around 135-140kg.

**Keep in mind, I'm not using a belt on any of these, nor would I use it in a competition (if I go to one). And these are all technical maxes, which means that I could do maybe 5kg more on each, but sacrifice good form.

**I'll repost this tonight after I test my bench press, and again on Friday after I test my squat.

Tested bench, close bench and wide paused bench maxes today, and the results are:

Bench Press - 122.5kg (pretty surprising, but it wasn't good form - my but shot about 1cm off the bench and it was a bit of a grinder, so I'll put 120kg in my program as a max) which means that my goal for the end of the cycle is ---> 125kg (I'll also try 127.5kg and 130kg if I feel it, but 125 is the main goal)

Close Grip Bench Press - 115kg
Wide Paused Bench Press - 105kg
**These two are the accessory movements on Tuesday, and they're also predetermined, so I had to establish maxes on them. I'll try to bring those up as well (122.5kg or so on the CGBP, and 110-112.5kg on WPBP), so that my bench rises smoothly.

Pozdrav!

Anta
04-30-14, 5:56 am

Deadlift - 170kg

The part on Bench Press, where it says "if it's by some chance 122.5.." - I meant 125kg, not 122.5kg, because I already mentioned 122.5kg.
I just wanted to fix that one.

Anta
04-30-14, 7:47 am
I'm 192cm tall, weigh around 94-95kg and by looking in the mirror, around 13-15% body-fat.
My diet will hopefully be manageable:

3600-3700 calories

180-190g proteins
450-500g carbs
100-120g fats

I'll consume most of my carbs around my sessions so that they don't go to waste, and to fuel the training as much as possible. I'll consume some low GI carbs in the morning and for snacks, and higher GI around the workout, with no carbs at night.
I won't consume any fats pre-workout, and I'll eat the majority of them for my last meal and some of them post-workout.
Protein intake will hopefully be constant throughout the day, with the slight larger amount pre and post-workout.
Since I'll be eating this many calories, water intake will be around 2.5-3l with other fluids bringing an extra 0.5l (occasional Coke and/or energy drink).

I don't have any physique goals in mind.. maybe slightly visible abs all the time (I can see them all the time (since I was 15-16), so it's hard for me to visually determine my BF level)... basically, to stay the same with some muscle gain, but with strength increasing. My main goal is strength.

Maybe I'll put my daily menu lol, if I feel that bored. And since I'll be posting mainly in the evening, I'll include the 'Diet' part in my regular logs, so stuff like 'drank too little water today', or 'didn't eat as much as I'd like' will be posted. Mainly so I can keep track and if someone sees it, they can learn something (or not lol).

Pozdrav!

Anta
05-02-14, 5:07 pm

Deadlift - 170kg

Tested squats, front squats, deficit deadlifts and paused squats today:

Squat - 137.5kg ---> Goal: 145kg
Front Squat - 115kg
Deficit Deadlift (10cm deficit) - 160kg
Paused Squat (3s pause) - 120kg

So, with that done, I can move on and complete my training program, input the weights and make some changes in the exercises.

1) On Thursday, I won't do the Shrug variation, instead I'll stick with Snatch-Grip Deadlifts
2) On Friday, I'll do the Overhead Presses using the 5/3/1 template, because I feel that doing it that way really helped my Bench go up. And it won't interfere with my Cube template either, because Friday is weak point day anyway, so I figured I put this in.

And that's it. I'm excited to start!

Pozdrav!

Anta
05-07-14, 7:40 am
I got sick on Saturday, my nose has been running and I've been coughing hard since then.. so I had to let my organism take a break from stress these past couple of days. But today I feel that I've had enough rest, although I'm not fully recovered health-wise, so I'll be going to the gym.
But, since I missed Monday and Tuesday, I'll be doing Monday exercises today, Tuesday tomorrow, Thursday on Friday and Friday on Saturday. And next week I'll hopefully continue with the normal schedule.

Pozdrav!

Anta
05-08-14, 8:49 am
Yesterday, I started the Cube. This was my training session:

Monday
Heavy Deadlift Day

Deadlift - 6x2x132.5kg (sets x reps x weight)
Block Pull - 2x3x132.5kg
Deficit Deadlift - 2x5x120kg

Romanian Deadlift (I thought I had to do RDLs, but I had to do SLDLs, but nevermind..) - 11x90kg, 10x95kg, 10x95kg (at this time, my grip started to give)
Hip Thrusts - 3x10x70kg (these were so light because I didn't have the appropriate padding for the bar, so it kinda sunk into my hips, and it took a while to adjust the bar position)
DB Rows - 2x15(per hand)x30kg DB (my grip was fried by the second set, and my nose was closed (I don't know the medical terminology, but I couldn't breathe through my nose, and it was full of boogers lol), so I decided to do 2 sets instead of 3)
(I didn't do the Pullups because I felt really tired and weak, and my grip was completely fried (I didn't bring straps), but as I adjust to these exercises, I'll include the Pullups)

Ab Wheel + Side Bends - 3x 10(BW)+12x20kg (with 20kg DB)

Diet: I didn't eat enough, didn't drink enough water, not to mention I was sick and felt weak... this will be a major problem, because if I don't eat well, I won't reap all the benefits of this cycle.

Pozdrav!

Anta
05-08-14, 4:16 pm
Explosive Bench Day
*I think the more appropriate name for this day is "Speed Day", so I'll refer to it as that in the following posts

Speed Bench - 8x3x80kg (the rest periods were between 15s and 25s, it felt great)
Close Grip Bench Press - 2x5x80kg (these felt great also)
Wide Paused Bench Press - 2x8x65kg (this looks light, but if you take into account that the pause was 2-3s each rep, this felt really heavy at the end of the set, so I decided to go for 2 sets)

Incline Paused Bench Press - 8x60kg, 8x60kg, 6x65kg (these felt kinda heavy, although the pauses were quick... I think it's because I haven't done Incline Bench in a while, so it takes some getting used to)
Incline Chest-Supported DB Rows - 15x25kg DB's (in following posts "25's" or "30's" or whatever the weight, just remmember that the weights are in kilograms, not pounds), 15x25's, 11x30's (these felt really really great! I nailed the angle and the bench positioning and everything and I'm really loving this exercise)
Incline DB Press - 15x25's, 12x25's, 12x25's (I used to do these really fast and explosive, and I could use a lot more weight.. but, since I haven't done anything in over a week (besides the max-tests), I figured that it would be smart to lower the weight and slow the tempo down.. this makes a huge difference. I really felt it in my triceps and chest the entire time (fast on the way up, slow on the way down, the stretch reflex was there but not so significant as it would have been if I had used faster tempo). This will definitely take some getting used to as well)
Dead-Hang Pull-ups - 10xBW, 8xBW (didn't have any energy (and grip) to continue)

Now, the rotator cycle:
Cuban Rotations with DB's
Internal Rotations with Cable
Front Raise with EZ bar
Reverse Curls with EZ bar
(did 2 sets, and went home. I won't include the weights until I'm able to complete all 3 sets)

Diet - Ate kinda all right-ish today, not satisfied with the amount but it made do. Water intake was OK.

Note:
This training style (mostly high-rep, bodybuilding style supplement movements) will take some time to get adjusted. My muscles are sore and energy depleted and my grip strength is giving up half-way through the sessions. But I'll push through it, because I have a great feeling about the exercise selection and the Cube programming of the main lifts. Also, my grip will be on a whole new level after I'm done with this 10 week program.

Pozdrav!

Anta
05-09-14, 4:09 pm
Thursday
Repetition Squat Day

Squat - 2x12x97.5kg (this was brutal! I've never done this many reps with this much weight. Ever. But I ground them out and felt really satisfied.. but I felt that I didn't have another 12-rep set in me, so I did 2 sets (the choice was 2 or 3))
Front Squat - 2x7x87.5kg (again, I never did this many reps with this weight on the front squat.. this was also really really hard and a grinder)
Pause Squats - 3x10x80kg (at the end of the third set, I felt like I was about to sh*t my pants, so I cut the set at 8 reps, went to the bathroom to check my pants (all clean and white lol) and then went back in and did 2 more reps.. and the pump in my quads and hamstrings after this was amazing!)

Leg Curls - 12x2plates (*in the gym I train at, the leg curl machine is really old, and has some weird, heavy plates, and you're not lying at an angle like all normal leg-curl machines, here you lie perfectly horizontal, which makes it a lot harder.. and the plates are somewhere between 10 and 20 kilos, I honestly can't tel lol. So, in the following posts, I'll be referring the weights on this exercise as "plates + kg (you can add weight in plates as well)"), 10x2plates+1.25kg
Romanian Deadlifts - 11x90kg, 10x95kg
Snatch-Grip Deadlifts - 10x80kg, 10x85kg
*I didn't do the Sternum ChinUps, I really didn't have the energy for that kind of effort.. next week's goal will be to up some sets on the other exercises and to do a set or two on the chin-ups.

Standing Crunches + Side Planks - 15x25kg (plates on the machine are 5kg each) + 30s each side (no extra weight), 15x30kg + 30s each side

Diet - Again, really sub-par. But after the session I ate a big serving of chicken, so that kinda saved the day... anyway, I know that it will take a lot of food to support this type of training, and I'll be working hard on that aspect as well.

Notes:
If anyone wants a brutal workout - up there's the template. But this isn't even the whole thing, I had to cut it short.. so, this will definitely increase my work capacity, and I'm again amazed at how well the percentages, accessories and set-rep schemes are set in the Cube program.

Pozdrav!

Anta
05-11-14, 6:03 am
I couldn't do the Friday training, because the gym I workout at was open yesterday (Saturday) for only 90 minutes... I know - stupid. Also, I had other thing to do at that time, so I couldn't make it.

Hopefully, from next week on, I'll be able to follow through with the schedule as it is (Monday training on Monday lol).

Pozdrav!

Anta
05-12-14, 1:54 pm
Speed Deadlift Day

Deadlift - 8x3x110kg (rest periods between 15 and 30s; speed was awesome the first 5 sets, then my lower back started cramping up, and the speed kinda decreased, but all-in-all it was good)
Block Pulls - 2x5x110kg (this felt really easy)
Deficit Deadlift - 2x8x97.5kg (these also felt easy)

SLDL - 10x100kg, 8x100kg, (ego check) 12x90kg (felt good)
Hip Thrust - 10x75kg, 10x77.5kg, 10x80kg (I made a foam pad, and it made a huge difference, because these all felt easy)
DB Rows - 2x17x30kg (I didn't do 3 sets because I want to hit 2x20 with 30kg, and when I do that, I'll lower the reps and add the third set)

AbRoller + Side Bends - 3x (10 + 12x25kg) (I did the roller with an EZ bar, because I forgot my roller, so I didn't add weight on it)

Diet - fairly OK, didn't eat any artificial sweets today, and ate some wheat just once, so I'm improving lol.

Pozdrav!

Anta
05-13-14, 1:21 pm
Repetition Bench Day

Bench Press - 12x85kg, 11x85kg (I did these with wrist-wraps because my left wrist kinda hurts, so I didn't want to strain it)
Close Grip Bench Press - 7x87.5kg, 6x87.5kg (I wanted to do more, but my strength today was really low)
Wide Grip Bench Press - 10x70kg, 6x70kg (it just stopped moving at the end of the 6th rep, so I racked it... and the gym was really crowded, so I couldn't do more sets)

Incline Paused Bench Press - 8x62.5kg, 7x62.5kg, 6x62.5kg (these were hard because I did a lot of reps on the other bench press variations, so I barely managed to squeeze these 3 sets within the rep ranges)
Incline Chest-Supported DB Rows - 3x11x30's (lovin' it)
Incline DB Press - 13x25's, 14x25's (wanted to do more, but it was the same as with incline bench press - my muscles were too tired to continue)
Dead-Hang Pull-ups - 8, 7, 6 (these are comin' up well, I think next week I'll try 2 sets of 10-12 reps)

Hanging Leg Raises + Rear Delt Raises - 8 + 20x9's (my grip failed on the raises, so I put straps on (which I'll do in the following sessions - do the first set until grip fails, then put on the straps and hit the abs hard on the next 2 sets)), 12 + 20x9's

(I forgot to do the Rotator Cycle, but I couldn't have done it even if I wanted to - all the fu**ing weights and plates and everything was taken - my gym is really small)

Diet - again, as the last week or so, not good. Water intake was low, and I don't think I even hit 2500 per day these last 10 or so days... just hanging to threads. I'll go and measure my bodyweight right now (it was around 95-96kg when I last measured it 2 weeks ago) and I'll quote this post. I think that I lost a couple of kilos, and that affected my bench performance and my endurance and strength, along with the caloric deficit... from now on I won't choose foods - I'll just hammer the calories in, whatever it takes (I won't get fat, it's just 3600 kcal), just to keep my strength. By the way, due to some financial stuff, I can't afford to choose the 'good quality' foods, so I'll just endure this period and hopefully things will get better soon.

Pozdrav!

Anta
05-13-14, 1:30 pm
Repetition Bench Day

Bench Press - 12x85kg, 11x85kg (I did these with wrist-wraps because my left wrist kinda hurts, so I didn't want to strain it)
Close Grip Bench Press - 7x87.5kg, 6x87.5kg (I wanted to do more, but my strength today was really low)
Wide Grip Bench Press - 10x70kg, 6x70kg (it just stopped moving at the end of the 6th rep, so I racked it... and the gym was really crowded, so I couldn't do more sets)

Incline Paused Bench Press - 8x62.5kg, 7x62.5kg, 6x62.5kg (these were hard because I did a lot of reps on the other bench press variations, so I barely managed to squeeze these 3 sets within the rep ranges)
Incline Chest-Supported DB Rows - 3x11x30's (lovin' it)
Incline DB Press - 13x25's, 14x25's (wanted to do more, but it was the same as with incline bench press - my muscles were too tired to continue)
Dead-Hang Pull-ups - 8, 7, 6 (these are comin' up well, I think next week I'll try 2 sets of 10-12 reps)

Hanging Leg Raises + Rear Delt Raises - 8 + 20x9's (my grip failed on the raises, so I put straps on (which I'll do in the following sessions - do the first set until grip fails, then put on the straps and hit the abs hard on the next 2 sets)), 12 + 20x9's

(I forgot to do the Rotator Cycle, but I couldn't have done it even if I wanted to - all the fu**ing weights and plates and everything was taken - my gym is really small)

Diet - again, as the last week or so, not good. Water intake was low, and I don't think I even hit 2500 per day these last 10 or so days... just hanging to threads. I'll go and measure my bodyweight right now (it was around 95-96kg when I last measured it 2 weeks ago) and I'll quote this post. I think that I lost a couple of kilos, and that affected my bench performance and my endurance and strength, along with the caloric deficit... from now on I won't choose foods - I'll just hammer the calories in, whatever it takes (I won't get fat, it's just 3600 kcal), just to keep my strength. By the way, due to some financial stuff, I can't afford to choose the 'good quality' foods, so I'll just endure this period and hopefully things will get better soon.

Pozdrav!

OK, so I weighed myself (only pants and socks on), and the result is, surprisingly - 95.9kg, which means not significant weight lost (maybe 0.5kg or so). So, the culprit for my decreased performance is definitely the caloric deficit. This is a great insight, and I'll pay full attention to my calories (just count them, for starters), eat a lot, and I think this will result in increased performance over the next 3-4 weeks.
I know that counting calories is 'stupid', but sometimes you eat a lot, and just assume that you won't get fat because your strength is going up. But most people soon realize that just 'eating a lot/eating more' isn't enough. So, I'll be counting from now on. And if I eat a lot, and my strength is good, and the number is let's say 4000, next time I'll try with 3900, and if I improve in strength it means that I don't have to eat 4000. I'll play around with this, and see what I come up with.

Pozdrav!

Anta
05-17-14, 3:13 pm
Heavy Squat Day

Squat - 6x2x110kg (all went up really easily)
Front Squat - 2x3x97.5kg (my left wrist hurt so I put a wrist wrap on, it went easy after that)
Paused Squat - 2x6x87.5kg (comfortable)

Leg Curls - 2x11x2plates+2.5kg
Romanian Deadlifts - 2x10x92.5kg
Snatch Grip Deadlift - 6x85kg, 8x85kg

Standing Crunches + Side Planks - 3x (15x35 + 3x30s)

Diet - good overall, not quite the amount I'd like, but it was OK..

There is an emergency situation in my country right now. Massive floods, thousands of people left homeless.. literally the whole country is flooded.
My town was one of the hardest hit by the rivers. The whole town was in 1-2m in water..
So, until everything clears, I won't be able to train. Maybe I push the car uphill or something like that, but until the situation gets under control, I won't be able to train in the gym (because the gym was flooded too).

Pozdrav!

Anta
05-21-14, 4:29 am
OK, so the gym isn't working and the town is a complete mess.
I've been reading Paul Carter's blog "Lift-Run-Bang" and I've become really interested in his ideas, so I've decided to run his Base Building stuff for the next 6 months.
I won't be laying out the program here, because I don't feel like it, and because I will change and adjust it from time to time to fit my needs and if I feel like doing a new movement or focusing on another. This is more of a principle than a program.

So.. that's that.

And I don't want to be a "Chronic Routine Changer", so I won't change my routine (I won't try other methods for 6 months).
I'll post pics at the end of the year, as well as improvements in strength, all Before/After style.

Pozdrav!

P.S. I'll start the program as soon as the gym opens lol

Anta
06-03-14, 4:42 pm
OK, the gym opened again on Monday.. glad to be back!

Workout:

Deadlift
6x70kg
3x100kg
3x110kg
3x120kg

5x3x 130kg
(25 min. total)

Bent-Over Barbell Rows
10x70kg
10x75kg
8x80kg