PDA

View Full Version : Whats for a living?

Hunger for Glory
05-02-14, 12:56 pm
Hello fellows animals, as im in college im always switching hours and routines to fit with my complicated day (and night). This also means i dont have as much money as i wanted to spend in suplements or food, thats why my routine is so particular.What about you?What do you do for a living?

G Diesel
05-02-14, 1:13 pm
When I was in college and a couple of years after, I worked at a gym and as a bouncer at a nightclub 3-4 nights per week.

It isn't the best paying or safest work in the world, but it allowed me to be flexible with my days, prioritize my personal goals and made getting my workouts in pretty easy. It also allowed me to pay some of my more basic bills and to eat.

When you're young I think it is important to work some less glamorous jobs as it helps make you appreciate and hustle hard for more opportunity.

Peace, G

knotahumanbeing
05-02-14, 2:45 pm
In college I played basketball, so I only could work during the summer. Same as G, bouncer and a few retail gigs. Even now I still struggle to buy supps, as I am a father. I still work 2-3 jobs just to get by, for my boys and I.

As a student, focus on your studies, bust your ass in classroom/library so it will pay off when it's time to graduate and you're looking for a full-time gig. I should have worked hard while in college myself. For now, hustle however you can, do work. Grind Hard, Stay Humble.

Rob

MR.TeachFreak
05-02-14, 3:45 pm
In college I worked for the university. First as a intramural referee then as a activity supervisor, and later as a activity programmer too. As a supervisor I supervised the intramural and club functions along with anyone who used the intramural fields officially. Had a buddy get to watch new police recruits get tasered and pepper sprayed. As a programmer I helped make the intramural season schedules, kept stats, and processed the team sign ups. During the summer I worked at a putt putt and go-kart place. Neither job made me a ton of money but it was enough to get buy in college. College is about the education and getting the skill for a career.

Right now I am a teacher in fairly rough school and am faced with the prospect of leaving after another year due to how the system is failing. Still don't make a lot and couldn't support a family if i wanted one but I am thankful for what I have.

Just remember you don't need supps. In college I always put good food first and then worried about adding in a multi or something later.

rainman
05-02-14, 4:44 pm
Take advantage of your time and get down to the supermarket in the downtime where they put out the reduced meats, providing your schedule allows of course. My local store does this at 4pm-ish, when most people are on school runs or at work still. You can save 25-50% off your weekly food bill this way. You'll be able to stretch your money much further.

Firefist
05-02-14, 5:40 pm
I've done odds and ends jobs to keep me going through college.

-busboy at a country club
-boxing instructor
-siding and roofing/tiling
-statistics analyst for the math department
-rec center employee
-bouncer on the weekends
-note taker for student disability services

Pretty much whatever I could get to get me through the month to make my card payment on the 1st.

I'm currently working with the Ohio SBDC helping start up companies get on their feet, getting loans, building marketing plans, etc. They pay my bills and the tuition for my masters program so I can't complain at all.

If I were you, I'd find a campus job. They are usually pretty cool about your classes, let you do homework sometimes, and so on. My note taking and rec center jobs were awesome for me. They paid just enough each month to keep gas in the tank, food in my mouth and a little for the bank.

Maccabee
05-02-14, 5:49 pm
In college I worked at a butcher shop. After college I was a handbag salesmen. I sucked at that job, but I learned a lot.

Currently, I am internet marketing. I work from the comfort of my own home. The only downside is you don't get out much.

MikeHerman
05-02-14, 6:05 pm
Currently an assistant shipping manager for a company that makes custom stair pieces. Not very glamorous, but it's not bad. I get to blare metal in my area without catching shit for it, so I enjoy that aspect. Plus I work a set 40 hours a week, so I know when I can train every day.

jeff00z28
05-03-14, 2:35 am
Paid internship would be ideal

Swolepez
05-04-14, 9:16 am
First off, focus on school and keeping your GPA at a good level. Learn a lot and have fun at college. Just think, you may be struggling now, but your busting your ass in school so you don't have to struggle as much later on.

Now, don't worry about the supps. Focus on the food and the training. If anything go the Uni-Vite (a multi) route and use Milk & Egg (a protein powder). These two products are cheap but have amazing profiles. I currently use both of these at the moment. That's really all you need at the moment. Focus on food first.

As far as jobs, like some have said, apply on campus. Saves you gas and time and allows you to study during work at times. They are usually more flexible with your hours as well. The best place to work would be the school gym or In something that has to do with your major.

During college I worked as a busser and before that I was a pressure washer.
Its almost a yr since I've been out of college and I'm currently a full-time wellness coach at a YMCA. 3 reasons I got that job: they saw I was passionate about fitness, they say I was a hard worker (I interned there before I got hired), and Bc I had a bachelor's degree. So yes a college degree still helps my man.
Bust your ass in school and the gym and don't forget to enjoy your college yrs.

Erik
05-09-14, 9:13 am
When I was 16, my father died and my mother fell ill with breast cancer. A short time later, we lost our house. As an only child, I had to go out to work right after high School to take care of myself and help my mother. Although my mother was in remission for many years, she has other health propblems that left her unable to work. during my early 20's I watched my peers go to school, get cars and have fun while I was stuck working all of the time. At 29, I decided to go back to school and after 3 years, I earned an associates degree, I still need to finish my Bachelor's. So now, I am 34 and still struggling, and it's hard. I am still taking care of my Mother, still working security to make ends meet and yes, I'm still training. Through it all training has been the one bright spot in my life and in 2012, I won my devision in the RPS Nj state meet, it was one of the few things that I have ever won in my life. What's important to note is that I sucessfully trained for that meet while doing 8-10 hours a night of algebra homework and working a full time job. Im not here to tell you that it is ever going to be easy, and sometimes you may have to squeeze training in after hours of work and study, but you can do it. if you want something, the only thing that can stop you is you.

BCent
05-09-14, 10:53 am
Back in the college days, I was ALWAYS grindin. Working almost full time at the Vitamin Shoppe down the street from my school year round, as soon as it got warm I was caddying at the golf course. At the time, caddying was great money gave me some extra flexibility money wise for some food and supps (and the beginning of a now RIDICULOUS jordan collection). Lifting after caddying could be a pain in the ass (imagine getting yourself pumped for a heavy leg day after walking 5 miles with 2 golf bags on your back) but I always got it done.

Now workin in sales, its all about time management, always making sure to get in.

BCent
05-09-14, 10:54 am
When I was 16, my father died and my mother fell ill with breast cancer. A short time later, we lost our house. As an only child, I had to go out to work right after high School to take care of myself and help my mother. Although my mother was in remission for many years, she has other health propblems that left her unable to work. during my early 20's I watched my peers go to school, get cars and have fun while I was stuck working all of the time. At 29, I decided to go back to school and after 3 years, I earned an associates degree, I still need to finish my Bachelor's. So now, I am 34 and still struggling, and it's hard. I am still taking care of my Mother, still working security to make ends meet and yes, I'm still training. Through it all training has been the one bright spot in my life and in 2012, I won my devision in the RPS Nj state meet, it was one of the few things that I have ever won in my life. What's important to note is that I sucessfully trained for that meet while doing 8-10 hours a night of algebra homework and working a full time job. Im not here to tell you that it is ever going to be easy, and sometimes you may have to squeeze training in after hours of work and study, but you can do it. if you want something, the only thing that can stop you is you.

Dude I don't want to derail the thread but saw you're in Jersey City.... where do you workout? Ive been hittin up the NYSCs in hoboken, but would love to get in some workouts with a fellow Animal!

Erik
05-09-14, 11:32 am
Dude I don't want to derail the thread but saw you're in Jersey City.... where do you workout? Ive been hittin up the NYSCs in hoboken, but would love to get in some workouts with a fellow Animal!

I actually commute to strong and shapely in rutherford, its a quick train ride from Hoboken, and sooooo worth it! and I am always for a training session with a fellow animal!

Hunger for Glory
05-12-14, 9:08 pm
Paid internship would be ideal

In my country college is free and we get paid every month by it so we can solve some of our economical troubles...of course that money is never enough but at least we dont have to bust our asses in others jobs to pay it!! Im very proud of that and when i read about you guys i think you are really animals for having such a dedication to this sport and to your family.NOT TO LOOK GOFFY OR ANYTHING BUT IM PROUD OF ALL MY ANIMALS PARTNERS, FOR REAL

BRIGNAC
05-16-14, 1:37 pm
In my country college is free and we get paid every month by it so we can solve some of our economical troubles...of course that money is never enough but at least we dont have to bust our asses in others jobs to pay it!! Im very proud of that and when i read about you guys i think you are really animals for having such a dedication to this sport and to your family.NOT TO LOOK GOFFY OR ANYTHING BUT IM PROUD OF ALL MY ANIMALS PARTNERS, FOR REAL

Ha I wish we didnt have to pay for college here. The only way it is free is with the help of scholarships. I was fortunate enough to get a decent amount of financial aid due to my father not making a whole lot, so with that being said I do not have a huge amount of student loans but I also only went to a junior college. During that time I worked as a Rodbuster tying rebar for concrete in construction. 2 days a week and went to classes 3 days a week and if there was saturday work I worked then to. I also bartended and bust tables to at a restaurant. Like many others have said make sure you keep your mind on school and get a good education that way you can get a good paying job to support your supplement buying in the future. Short term sacrifices for long term enjoyment.

jeff00z28
05-23-14, 7:51 pm

Finland?

Hunger for Glory
05-26-14, 11:17 pm
Finland?
Nah, men. CUBA!! I know my country is not mentioned a lot or anything...much less in power lifting or bodybuilding, but were a lot animals in here!!

Hunger for Glory
05-27-14, 12:09 pm
Nah, men. CUBA!! I know my country is not mentioned a lot or anything...much less in power lifting or bodybuilding, but were a lot animals in here!!

I think I should clarify: the money my college gives me as a student is 3 USD monthly but that is quite enough when the average worker gets 30 USD monthly... if hes lucky. Anyway, I believe everything I do that close me up to my goals is a statment: its me saying anything will hold me back! Dont get me wrong: of course Id like to count with an ABC in my country or the right, minimum equipment, but im not complaining either! Im just grateful I can access this FORVM and learn