PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some dieting advice

slicer
05-21-14, 4:23 pm
I have been looking into doing IF for a bit as it seems due to work schedule and life just eating 5-6 meals a day is impossible. My problem is that I am working out @ 5am and for a decent IF schedule I would have my eating window from 11a - 7p. That seems to be way to long to eat post workout but I think that would be the only eating window that would work for me. So I started reading about different diets and come across Carb Nite and Carb Backloading. Have many of you tried either one of these and which do you think would be best for me? I am 31yo, 5'11, 240lbs and a little over 25% bf currently. Been seeing some nice muscle gains just always seem to have lots of problems shedding fat. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jay Nera
05-31-14, 6:42 pm
I have been looking into doing IF for a bit as it seems due to work schedule and life just eating 5-6 meals a day is impossible. My problem is that I am working out @ 5am and for a decent IF schedule I would have my eating window from 11a - 7p. That seems to be way to long to eat post workout but I think that would be the only eating window that would work for me. So I started reading about different diets and come across Carb Nite and Carb Backloading. Have many of you tried either one of these and which do you think would be best for me? I am 31yo, 5'11, 240lbs and a little over 25% bf currently. Been seeing some nice muscle gains just always seem to have lots of problems shedding fat. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If you want to shed fat and you're training that early in the morning everyday… I would eat eat a big chunk of carbs post workout and then taper down as you get closer to bedtime. I find that the body is most responsive intra and post workout to carbs…and that once your glycogen stores are restored the rest of your meals should just have enough to maintain so steady blood glucose levels…so fast carbs post workout and intra workout…and the rest of the day sticking to slower carbs…

Rex
06-11-14, 6:18 pm
If you want to shed fat and you're training that early in the morning everyday… I would eat eat a big chunk of carbs post workout and then taper down as you get closer to bedtime. I find that the body is most responsive intra and post workout to carbs…and that once your glycogen stores are restored the rest of your meals should just have enough to maintain so steady blood glucose levels…so fast carbs post workout and intra workout…and the rest of the day sticking to slower carbs…

Jay hit the nail on the head.
Have your carbs around your workouts because that´s when you need them for energy and optimal Performance. The rest of the day stick to mainly protein and fat to ensure muscle building and repair processes in your body. This will also be the time when your body burns fat if you stay away from carbs.

As far as all these fancy new diet strategies go, I believe in doing what has been working for decades. You can´t make the wheel rounder than it already is....

BradyBrosef
06-13-14, 11:47 am
Jay hit the nail on the head.
Have your carbs around your workouts because that´s when you need them for energy and optimal Performance. The rest of the day stick to mainly protein and fat to ensure muscle building and repair processes in your body. This will also be the time when your body burns fat if you stay away from carbs.

As far as all these fancy new diet strategies go, I believe in doing what has been working for decades. You can´t make the wheel rounder than it already is....

Great info right here.
They're definately more seasoned then me in this game, but as far as IF, CarbNite, and Carb Backloading, I'd go with CarbNite. I've done all 3 and found out that Carbnite works the best for shedding down. Once you get down to the teens for bodyfat, think about switching over to backloading. IF is good, but honestly isn't the best for cutting, or so I've seen with myself.
What are your macros right now?

Rex
07-20-14, 10:23 am
Is it just me or are all these new trends and methodes with their abreviations getting a bit confusing?

Swolepez
07-20-14, 1:15 pm
Is it just me or are all these new trends and methodes with their abreviations getting a bit confusing?

There is a lot of diet methods out there and it can become confusing BUT as long as people find out what works for them then I believe that's the beauty of it.

For me personally, I've always tend to go back to a balance of all 3 macro-nutrients with lean proteins, veggies and more complex carbs with faster digesting carbs around post. I also try to get most of my fats from my proteins. But I have seen some people who can thrive off of IIFYM type diets.

naturalguy
07-20-14, 1:19 pm

Your right, it's the way things are today with the internet, there is almost too much info out there also everyone wants to have their own method so they can sell and e-book or profit from it.

Rex
07-21-14, 6:21 pm
Your right, it's the way things are today with the internet, there is almost too much info out there also everyone wants to have their own method so they can sell and e-book or profit from it.

The funny thing is that the conditioning of competitors on stage constantly seems to get worse. Despite all these highly scientific new methods...
In the 90´s you could expect the whole Olympia line up to be totally peeled. Also, almost everybody on the national level stages used to be decently hard.

People should spend more time working hard instead of looking for any easier way to achieve their goals. 99% of the time the harder way is the one that will get you to where you want to go.

Preston
07-28-14, 10:45 am

Oh, you mean: IIFYM, IF, ABC, DASH, BLAST & TLC? LOL

Preston
07-28-14, 10:47 am

It's funny how true that is. There's like 6 books on carbohydrate back-loading.

MR. C
07-28-14, 9:10 pm
It's funny how true that is. There's like 6 books on carbohydrate back-loading.

Very true! Everyone has a new idea about diets and training.

Preston
07-28-14, 9:49 pm
Very true! Everyone has a new idea about diets and training.

Just stick to the old school methods. Every time I've cut I've never done anything drastic like cut carbs until the end like prepping for a show. Its all about clean food and CONSISTENT training! Can't wait to see where you end up brotha.

MR. C
07-29-14, 7:15 am
Just stick to the old school methods. Every time I've cut I've never done anything drastic like cut carbs until the end like prepping for a show. Its all about clean food and CONSISTENT training! Can't wait to see where you end up brotha.

I hear ya bro. My problem is even when I eat clean (including clean carbs) I cannot loose weight unless I drop my carbs basically down to 50 grams and under per day, even with training 5 days a week. I will keep u updated buddy!

Preston
07-29-14, 7:57 am
I hear ya bro. My problem is even when I eat clean (including clean carbs) I cannot loose weight unless I drop my carbs basically down to 50 grams and under per day, even with training 5 days a week. I will keep u updated buddy!

Not disagreeing with you that your carb sensitive - you of all people would know. Do you know your caloric intake vs. burn? Also, how are you doing (and what) with your cardio training? :)

MR. C
07-29-14, 8:54 am
Not disagreeing with you that your carb sensitive - you of all people would know. Do you know your caloric intake vs. burn? Also, how are you doing (and what) with your cardio training? :)

Right now iam only doing about 15-20 min of light cardio a day because I do not want to loose any muscle while iam on a low carb diet. My calorie in take should be about 2,500 calls a day in order to loose about a pound a week. I try to stay around 2,000-2,300 cals right now. I have only been doing the low carb thing for about a week. I have lost five pounds already. I know it's probably water weight but I see a more slender look in the mirror. Iam only 5 ft 8 and I weigh 250 pounds. I do not look that heavy though. I hope iam carrying a lot of muscle lol. I want to get down to about 220 lbs. I have been lifting weight since I was eleven and now iam 36 so I have a good base of muscle. Also on the last year I have taken up powerlifting. I know going low carb on a powerlifting routine is kind of counter productive in a way but as long as my strength stays the same I will be ok with it. . Do u think I should up the cardio?

Preston
07-29-14, 9:51 am
Right now iam only doing about 15-20 min of light cardio a day because I do not want to loose any muscle while iam on a low carb diet. My calorie in take should be about 2,500 calls a day in order to loose about a pound a week. I try to stay around 2,000-2,300 cals right now. I have only been doing the low carb thing for about a week. I have lost five pounds already. I know it's probably water weight but I see a more slender look in the mirror. Iam only 5 ft 8 and I weigh 250 pounds. I do not look that heavy though. I hope iam carrying a lot of muscle lol. I want to get down to about 220 lbs. I have been lifting weight since I was eleven and now iam 36 so I have a good base of muscle. Also on the last year I have taken up powerlifting. I know going low carb on a powerlifting routine is kind of counter productive in a way but as long as my strength stays the same I will be ok with it. . Do u think I should up the cardio?

If you're staying low-carb, you need a non high intensity cardio - like walking on a treadmill for 30-45 minutes at a slight incline. Considering your endurance is going to suffer with the lack of carbs, HIIT is a horrible idea. For some reason 2500 calories seems really low to me with how you're training. I would agree with you that your 5lbs is definitely water weight. I wouldn't want to put myself above 2lbs a week/loss because you know you're going to suffer.

This is what I gathered (based off your age, weight, height & exercise):

Daily Energy Expenditure: 3632 kcal(15206 kJ)

Additional Calories from Exercise: + 752.0 kcal(3148 kJ)

Estimated Energy Requirement: 4384.0 kcal(18355 kJ)

I mean, someone correct me if I'm wrong but that means you're way too low on your intake vs. burned which of all things is going to affect your muscle growth/sustaining. Maybe REX can shed some light on this and help me out.