PDA

View Full Version : pre workout/breakfast meal

zasker
05-22-14, 4:55 am
hey guys,

for what seems an eternity i've always had eggs and oats for breakfast about an hour before hitting the gym, but this morning i was talking with a guy at the gym who told me all he has is toast and a banana and i think he said honey as well.

so it got me thinking, what is the ideal pre workout/breakfast meal?

Christman
05-22-14, 9:06 am
Depending on my schedule with work and things going on in the evening, sometimes I train before going into work. Lately when I do that, I get up and blend myself a shake consisting of 1/4 cup oats (pre-blended in to a powder), one banana, some natty pb, and unsweetened almond milk as soon as I get up and an hour before hitting the gym. I always toss pak down with that. Works well for me, it keeps me from getting hungry during training and I don't feel full. Afterwards I make myself a full meal, usually eggs and oats or whatever I happen to have time to make.

I am not saying this is ideal but it works for me. So I guess it's ideal for me. It's about finding out what works for you personally, right?

G Diesel
05-22-14, 9:22 am
I'm big on the traditional eggs and oats meal. In my opinion it is one of the perfect bodybuilding meals and I feel great when I eat it. I like fresh fruit with that meal as well.

That said, I kind of like the toast (like especially if it was something hearty and grainy) with honey and a banana as preworkout fuel. And then eggs and oats postworkout as a morning routine if you could swing it. The toast/banana/honey thing sounds dope in a convenient, old school Steve Reeves sort of way.

Peace, G

Tony Montgomery
05-22-14, 11:10 am
I prefer something easily digestible if I was to train first thing in the morning, plus I do about 100g of carb intra workout so my breakfast isn't to big. It would be something like egg whites, 1/4 cup of cream of rice, and some maple syrup in the cream of rice.

KINGSNAKE
05-27-14, 2:29 pm
have to agree with G here. I love a couple whole Eggs with 8-10 Eggwhites and a big bowl of good old fashin oats....Lately there has been going on a craze about no carb breakfast and oats all of a sudden are such a bad indigestable food. I don´t buy into that shit. I digest this combination really well and it gives me great energy. Depending on which phase I´m in, I also like to throw in some fruit and peanut butter into my Oats for taste and extra calories. Just stick to something you like and that your body can digest well. If you are a hardgainer or have a bad appetite in general, you can also have a rich shake with Milk, Quark, Peanut Butter, Fruit and Oats. Tastes awesome and it´s a quick way to get down a ton of high quality nutrients.

Jay Nera
05-31-14, 6:47 pm
early morning training...For me it depends on how I feel that morning and what my weight is at. If i feel dehydrated or not. Either way Im going to chug some water… if i am feeling steady i might have some oats with some berries and a protein shake… if i am literally out of bed and straight to the gym..ill have a fast glycemic food like a strawberry jam and white bread sandwich…or some nutrigrain bars.. carbo plus is great too for those tight situations….
but other than tight situations…if I'm feeling good ill stay light on the carbs… a banana is fast so id want right before, intra or post… (keep in mind, i do not eat a large amount of carbs throughout the day)

Rex
05-31-14, 7:18 pm
hey guys,

for what seems an eternity i've always had eggs and oats for breakfast about an hour before hitting the gym, but this morning i was talking with a guy at the gym who told me all he has is toast and a banana and i think he said honey as well.

You do NEED Protein in every meal of the day to ensure protein synthesis and anabolism in your body.
You´re way better off with your eggs and oatmeal than with a banana/honey sandwich. Trust me!

Cronos1247
06-04-14, 11:47 am
You do NEED Protein in every meal of the day to ensure protein synthesis and anabolism in your body.
You´re way better off with your eggs and oatmeal than with a banana/honey sandwich. Trust me!

^ Was thinking the same thing about the lack of protein in that honey/banana meal.

I love having eggs and oats pre workout but I'm literally out of bed by 5:30am and in the gym by 6am so it takes too long for me to eat the oats. I'll usually throw 3 eggs in a pan while I'm putting my gym clothes, drink a cup of egg whites from the carton and toast some cinnamon raisin ezekiel bread. It's all done by the time I've got my clothes on, down the hatch and out the door in 15 minutes.

Mizzarler
06-04-14, 6:35 pm
I train after breakfast too, usually a scoop and a half of whey, pack of oatmeal, banana, easy mac and some pretzels maybe some reeses puffs, I only eat like this pre and post workout
try to get around 150g carbs with minimal fat and leave for the gym around 2 hours after eating

John Grey
06-11-14, 4:00 pm
I train at night except for the Saturdays I train. So I have quite a few calories in me when I hit the gym at 7:30pm. My pre workout meal lately has been a carb drink in water that gets me 50g of carbs and I also take in 1/2c oats with some splenda. I also sip on 25g of carbs intra workout. As for my breakfast I switch things up on a daily basis. One day I will have oats and granola w/milk and a shake, other days I have the good ol' eggs and oats. I like to give myself options for breakfast to keep things fresh!

steelgoose
06-13-14, 11:18 am
hey guys,

I also usually go with the eggs and oats combo, but over the winter I started started to mix natural peanut butter in with my plain oats. A good dose of flavor, a little protein and some decent fats to go along with the "jumpstart" meal

weightsb4dates
06-13-14, 12:18 pm
generally if im training in the am i will have eggs, and oats with peanut butter, and a cup or two of black coffe pre work out. i like the liquid egg whites with cinnamon just stir em up in a shaker cup and pound em, (10 servings, roughly 50g protein), 1/2 cup of oats when cutting 1 cup when growing, and a table spoon of coconut oil or 2 table spoons of peanut butter in the oats, with some salt.

the egg protein absorbs quickly but not so fast that your running on e by the time you start training, and not so slow it will cause you not to absorb pre workout

the oats are sustainable energy and great for recovery while training

the oil or peanut butter is a healthy amount of energizing fats

and the salt adds a nice flavor to the oatmeal so it isnt so plain

the tea spoon of cinnimon is excellent flavor for the egg whites.

hope this helps man, i always get great pumps when i have oats, banana, or white potato 45-90 mins pre workout

ChaseMillard
06-13-14, 12:39 pm
hey guys,

I think it much of it depends on the time you give yourself from wake up to work out. On weekdays I am up at 4:00 am to get my workout in when the gym opens @ 5:00 am. That is not enough time, for me, to give my stomach enough time to digest a full breakfast. So, I will either go with an apple + protein shake or go nothing at all and train in a fasted state. You also have to consider what your goals are. If fat loss is your goal, then keeping your pre-workout meal minimal is more beneficial. If you are looking to maximize strength output, then a bigger meal is in order. Just my humble two cents.

NickySkins
06-26-14, 11:56 am
SOME DAYS I WILL HIT THE GYM ON an empty stomach and it gives me so much energy.

J Wong
06-26-14, 12:39 pm
It depends. If I am training in the morning and only have an hour until after I eat before training, I prefer to have a fruit for my carb source with protein.

If i have about 90-120 minutes until I train after breakfast, I will eat brown rice with protein. I feel that if I eat rice/meat an hour before training I get a little sluggish.

I know 90-120 minutes before training is along time to only have one meal, but I also have an intra-workout drink that consists of Universal Tropical Punch whey protein, Universal BCAA Stack, and gatorade powder.

NickySkins
07-02-14, 5:42 pm
I have a cup of oatmeal and 8 egg whites about an hr before the gym in the morning. I don't want to much or else I feel like I will puke during my workout. I also mix Bcaas in a half gallon of water and drink that during the workout.

MR. C
07-07-14, 3:40 pm
6 egg whites and a cup of Bcaas with water.