PDA

View Full Version : Best shoes to train in for Hypertrophy?

weightsb4dates
07-02-14, 6:37 pm
i just had a look in the "whats in yer bag thread", and i noticed a lot of guys carrying chuck taylors (converse all stars) in their gym bags. now when i was younger i would train in vans, or nike sbs, you know the high tops, pretty much what ever i wore to school. when i got older and needed to do more cardio i picked up some tennis/running shoes and thsoe became my dedicated gym shoes. they have a slight arch in the sole, and offer decent support. above all else they are very comfortable to lift in, especially after wearing boots all day at work.

my question to any one willing to answer: is there a benefit to training in flat soled shoes for hypertrophy? i care about strength, obvi as it assists growth but moving massive amounts of weight is not my main objective.

Nathan Brandhorst
07-02-14, 6:57 pm
I personally love working out in flat shoes. I never get any ankle pain and have never had a problem training higher reps in chucks. The flat sole will benefit you on deadlifts as well. And for the price, you can't beat chucks. :). I just know with Nike Free's that anytime I am walking around with dumbbells or doing any push exercise I feel very unstable.

BCent
07-02-14, 8:43 pm
I dont know if there's any science to it, but I've been rocking the new balance minimus trainer lately and I'm convinced that my calves got a little better as a result. Like people have said, the flat soles are great for strength, but more than that for me, as a bodybuilder, I just feel like I have a better "feel" for the floor, which helps me feel more locked in and get right into the mind. Honestly, I've worked out in Nike Free before (im a HUGE sneakerhead and am obsessed with Nike's) but something about them i didnt like. they felt too "squishy" for me, like I couldnt really get a good feeling from the floor, and on things like shrugs or anything heavy, i could literally FEEL them compressing...

Just my .02

D Monstah
07-02-14, 9:32 pm
I decided a while ago to stay away from soft base shoes and instead use something with either superthin or superhard sole.

My Ryderwear Raptors are by far my favourites
Thin soled, heavy material.

Cellardweller
07-03-14, 12:15 pm
There's a few reasons for useing Chucks and it's mostly for powerlifting.

1. They have a flat sole. There is no heel. This helps keep you from tipping foreward on squats and deadlifts. Although some guys like a bit of a heel.

2. There is no air cushion. Once you start squatting around 405 the air cushion in the heel of your Nike's will pop. This results in a squishy sound when you walk like your shoes are full of water.

3. If you flip your Nike over and sight along the bottom you will notice the bottom of the shoe is kind of twisted and not flat. This is designed to keep you from rolling your ankle while running or playing basketball.

4. They just look cool. And you can get custom Chucks on their website for the same price you'd pay in the store pretty much.

For hypertrophy wear what you want. But if you want to get serious about squatting or pulling you'll want a flat bottom shoe or no shoes at all.

weightsb4dates
07-03-14, 1:43 pm
excellent replys, just the info i was looking for, ive got an unworn pair of chucks at home, maybe ill toss them on and give it a shot for back day tomorrow!

G Diesel
07-03-14, 1:58 pm
I've noticed that shoes with some support and a sturdy heel were good for squatting and that I generally like lifting in wrestling shoes otherwise.

But to be honest, I don't think the type of shoes or what clothes you wear or half of the gear they sell you on these days means jack shit in terms of building muscle.

Peace, G

MR. C
07-07-14, 3:48 pm
Ever since I have used flat soles I feel like I have more power. My deadlift feels more stable as well.

Rex
07-07-14, 6:26 pm
Whatever shoes you feel most comfortable in while training.
That might change depending on the bodypart.

Despite that Iīd recommend getting custom orthotics to make sure your bodyīs mechanics are properly aligned.

weightsb4dates
07-07-14, 6:58 pm
I've noticed that shoes with some support and a sturdy heel were good for squatting and that I generally like lifting in wrestling shoes otherwise.

But to be honest, I don't think the type of shoes or what clothes you wear or half of the gear they sell you on these days means jack shit in terms of building muscle.

Peace, G

Ever since I have used flat soles I feel like I have more power. My deadlift feels more stable as well.

Whatever shoes you feel most comfortable in while training.
That might change depending on the bodypart.

Despite that Iīd recommend getting custom orthotics to make sure your bodyīs mechanics are properly aligned.

another round of great info, thanks guys. i tried the chucks i had in the closet on Saturday, they felt very uncomfortable compared to the Nike's i usually wear, so i decided against training in them, i may give it another shot on my leg day, just to see if i feel more grounded under the bar. thanks guys.

MR. C
07-08-14, 2:29 pm
another round of great info, thanks guys. i tried the chucks i had in the closet on Saturday, they felt very uncomfortable compared to the Nike's i usually wear, so i decided against training in them, i may give it another shot on my leg day, just to see if i feel more grounded under the bar. thanks guys.

Sometimes I deadlift with only my socks and I feel that it gives me more power. Maybe it's all mental but who knows.

weightsb4dates
07-08-14, 2:50 pm
Sometimes I deadlift with only my socks and I feel that it gives me more power. Maybe it's all mental but who knows.

interesting i assume it would be very similar to lifting in flat footed shoes you just wouldn't have the added ankle support, ill have to give it a shot, i dont lift very heavy, i stay above 6 reps always, and usually around 12-15 so idk that it would benefit me in the strength dept. how ever i do train calves without shoes on i feel a much better stretch/squeeze. i may pick up some vans, i know theyre flat like chucks, but to me they just feel alot more comfortable, ive got some creative recs that are flat i assume theyed also be similar as they are flat. ive trained in them before when ive forgotten gym shoes and been out of town, i never noticed a major difference. how ever i dont like to train leg away from home, the equipment is usually awkward other than standard barbell movements

tenbobby
07-13-14, 4:58 pm
I also started to read about shoes and was trying different types but finally just went with what I was most comfortable in, chucks. To me I am able to 'feel' the ground better if that makes sense. I am really enjoying everyone's unique take on these threads. Thanks everyone!

Tron
07-14-14, 12:32 pm
The shoes matter for the movement, not for the type of stress on the body.

Low Bar Squat & Deadlifts - Low heel w/ solid sole (Chuck's)
Front Bar & High Bar Squats - Raised heel w/ solid sole (Oly shoes)

So on and so forth.

Tron
07-14-14, 12:33 pm

You're an inch closer to the ground. It would make sense that you're stronger.

Kingslayer
07-16-14, 6:58 pm
Any cheap, functional (allows you to perform the workout) shoe is best. Save your money for your meals.

Bayounix
07-23-14, 9:22 am
After reading this I went out and bought a pair of chucks... These suckers are damn comfy to lift in. Thanks for the suggestion!

MR. C
07-23-14, 6:10 pm
After reading this I went out and bought a pair of chucks... These suckers are damn comfy to lift in. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nice!

dante
07-24-14, 12:54 am
I like to lift with a flat shoe as well, makes me feel much more stable during squats and deadlifts. I have recently replaced my old Chucks with the Reebok Power Lite. Very happy with the shoe, itīs quite similar to the Chuck, but itīs more molded to your foot so you donīt move around inside the shoe as much and it has an extra "stability zone" towards the side where the sole is slightly larger so you can really push out on the squat without rolling over the sole.

Jay Nera
07-25-14, 12:39 am
Whichever allows you to lift safely is fine. No shoe is going to be more hypertrophic than others… that would had more to do with training and nutrition.

J Wong
08-03-14, 10:58 pm

Peace, G

What he said.

P Diesel
08-04-14, 2:32 pm
u could train in a pair of flip flops as long as ur hittin it hard

P

Tbrat
08-05-14, 3:32 pm
Although they aren't going to help you grow, I have heard really good things about Mark Bell's reebok Power shoe. I am currently waiting on a pair of my own. They look like Chucks but better quality and apparently much more comfortable. I could never wear chucks, they were too narrow for my wide feet so in order to fit they would be way too long.

weightsb4dates
08-05-14, 3:56 pm
What he said.

P

Although they aren't going to help you grow, I have heard really good things about Mark Bell's reebok Power shoe. I am currently waiting on a pair of my own. They look like Chucks but better quality and apparently much more comfortable. I could never wear chucks, they were too narrow for my wide feet so in order to fit they would be way too long.

I also started to read about shoes and was trying different types but finally just went with what I was most comfortable in, chucks. To me I am able to 'feel' the ground better if that makes sense. I am really enjoying everyone's unique take on these threads. Thanks everyone!

The shoes matter for the movement, not for the type of stress on the body.

Low Bar Squat & Deadlifts - Low heel w/ solid sole (Chuck's)
Front Bar & High Bar Squats - Raised heel w/ solid sole (Oly shoes)

So on and so forth.

You're an inch closer to the ground. It would make sense that you're stronger.

Any cheap, functional (allows you to perform the workout) shoe is best. Save your money for your meals.

Nice!

I like to lift with a flat shoe as well, makes me feel much more stable during squats and deadlifts. I have recently replaced my old Chucks with the Reebok Power Lite. Very happy with the shoe, itīs quite similar to the Chuck, but itīs more molded to your foot so you donīt move around inside the shoe as much and it has an extra "stability zone" towards the side where the sole is slightly larger so you can really push out on the squat without rolling over the sole.

Whichever allows you to lift safely is fine. No shoe is going to be more hypertrophic than others… that would had more to do with training and nutrition.

thanks guys tons of great info itt

naturalguy
08-05-14, 4:42 pm

P

Yup

Arnold often trained barefoot

http://kinectmethod.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/barbell-Row.jpg

G Diesel
08-05-14, 5:04 pm
Yup

Arnold often trained barefoot

http://kinectmethod.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/barbell-Row.jpg

Imagine how many Olympias he would've won with those Reebok Crossfit Powerlifting shoes.

Peace, G

naturalguy
08-06-14, 8:23 am
Imagine how many Olympias he would've won with those Reebok Crossfit Powerlifting shoes.

Peace, G

Countless, he could have gone on forever

J Wong
08-07-14, 12:49 am

Peace, G

He would still be winning them.