Lock outs
3 sets 3-6 reps

DB Flys
4 sets 10-12

Then Tricep Work.

Is this too much?

moparguy55
07-04-14, 12:24 pm
If your making gains keep at it. Depends what your goals are.

Personally i could never go that many reps and make gains all naturel, but everyone is different.

Whats the workload like on the paused and touch and go ?

Noway i could go heavy for 25 paused reps then hit touch and go unless it was fairly light.

moparguy55
07-04-14, 12:30 pm
Check out some training logs in the journey section. Gives you a good measuring stick, but again everyones different. Experimentation to find what works for you and what doesn't is key.

NickySkins
07-04-14, 4:04 pm
If your making gains keep at it. Depends what your goals are.

Personally i could never go that many reps and make gains all naturel, but everyone is different.

Whats the workload like on the paused and touch and go ?

Noway i could go heavy for 25 paused reps then hit touch and go unless it was fairly light.

On paused reps I will go about 75-85% of my one rep max. Then on the touch and go reps I will drop the weight to about 65% of my one rep max. I was doing well but then I started to slow down with my gains.

moparguy55
07-04-14, 11:16 pm
On paused reps I will go about 75-85% of my one rep max. Then on the touch and go reps I will drop the weight to about 65% of my one rep max. I was doing well but then I started to slow down with my gains.

Just a thought im no expert. Since your talking % based off 1rm i assume your powerlifting and looking to increase strength.
I'd say your getting more out of your heavy paused reps. If i was you id try a week without the 50 reps @ 65%. I tried the whole speed benching thing on a separate workout during the week. Honestly i thought it was helping, but looking back it wasn't doing much.

Since i started doing two heavy bench days as suggested by a memeber its really picked up. I don't do same accessorys as you.

My big bench day on monday(always touch and go day) is

week one 5 sets 5 reps pyramiding to that top set
Week two 6 sets 3 reps pyramiding to top set.
Week three 6 sets 2 reps then a couple heavy singles

Once i manage all reps i add 5lbs.

restart cycle. Similar to 5 3 1 but i do more volume and dont work off percentages as i find 5 3 1 method only really last set of each week make you work hard. I pick weights heavy enough i can manage so my last couple sets are balls to the wall but never any failed reps. Stop one short.

accessory is either dead press 2 repss or paused DB press heavy in 4-6 range. 2-3 sets.

Finish with 3 sets close grip tricep bench.
something like set of 10-12,8-10,4-6 rep range

sometimes a set of DB flys or two

then finish off triceps with some press downs both bar and rope or kick backs.

My second bench of the week 4x4 all paused pyramiding up to a max effort top set. Thats it for flat bench that day.
I alternate from OHP to incline db press. Usually 3 times a month OHP once inclines.

For me i find OHP helps me more than inclines.

Just something to chew on.

NickySkins
07-05-14, 7:46 am
Just a thought im no expert. Since your talking % based off 1rm i assume your powerlifting and looking to increase strength.
I'd say your getting more out of your heavy paused reps. If i was you id try a week without the 50 reps @ 65%. I tried the whole speed benching thing on a separate workout during the week. Honestly i thought it was helping, but looking back it wasn't doing much.

Since i started doing two heavy bench days as suggested by a memeber its really picked up. I don't do same accessorys as you.

My big bench day on monday(always touch and go day) is

week one 5 sets 5 reps pyramiding to that top set
Week two 6 sets 3 reps pyramiding to top set.
Week three 6 sets 2 reps then a couple heavy singles

Once i manage all reps i add 5lbs.

restart cycle. Similar to 5 3 1 but i do more volume and dont work off percentages as i find 5 3 1 method only really last set of each week make you work hard. I pick weights heavy enough i can manage so my last couple sets are balls to the wall but never any failed reps. Stop one short.

accessory is either dead press 2 repss or paused DB press heavy in 4-6 range. 2-3 sets.

Finish with 3 sets close grip tricep bench.
something like set of 10-12,8-10,4-6 rep range

sometimes a set of DB flys or two

then finish off triceps with some press downs both bar and rope or kick backs.

My second bench of the week 4x4 all paused pyramiding up to a max effort top set. Thats it for flat bench that day.
I alternate from OHP to incline db press. Usually 3 times a month OHP once inclines.

For me i find OHP helps me more than inclines.

Just something to chew on.

This is great stuff! Iam 35 and just started to get into the powerlifting game. I've been weightlifting since I was 11 so I have a good foundation of muscle and strength. I was doing really well at first with the pause reps and my program was doing good. Then the last few weeks my power has stalled. I will try ur program and see how it goes. Thanks bro!

moparguy55
07-05-14, 11:33 am
You could try to just cut the touch and go 50reps out and keep everything the same. I like to only change a thing or two at a time. when you change the whole program accessories and all I never know what helped and what didnt. If I was you id contine on they way you have. Cut out the touch and go. Try touch and go 3days later. Heavier and less reps. Dont be surprised if the first couple weeks that second bench day seems really tough like lacking steenghth and sore. Took me awhile to really get into the groove for heavy twice a week.
Although im powerlifting for now my goal is a touch and go max. Once I can get to 4 plates I may put even more emphasis okn pause press. thats why my big say is touch and go now.

Good luck man.

Cellardweller
07-05-14, 1:32 pm
Chest day goes like this

Pause Bench
5 sets 5 reps

Touch n go Bench
5 sets 5-10 reps

Floor Press
3 sets 3-6 reps

Lock outs
3 sets 3-6 reps

DB Flys
4 sets 10-12 reps

Then Tricep Work.

This looks like a pretty awesome day, but I wouldn't do it every week. Moparguy gave ya some pretty solid advice about cycleing your training. Mix up the accessories and train up your weaknesses.

rainman
07-06-14, 4:01 pm
I have found I can't really do touch n' go benching any more as I've been pausing all my bench reps for just over a year now. To go back I always seem to get off balance, but will quite often finish off with a drop set and use much less of a pause for a vanity pump! I have a heavy day on the bench, then do incline DBs and Db pullovers for accessory work, (possibly some sort of flyes too), then do rep bench work on triceps day, (I split bis & Tris over 2 leg days), along with floor presses and a close grip incline thing usually on the Smith. As I bench with a fairly close grip anyway I have found my triceps are pretty big without many direct exercises.
I do think your routine looks solid, but if you're only doing chest once a week, I would at least consider having either an arms day a few days later, or doing rep work on a separate day.

Animal Rep
07-07-14, 12:04 pm
As already stated moparguy55 gave you some solid words to go from. Give any changes you try a few weeks to show some kind results and then decide where to go from there. You're in the right place for new approaches to your progress that's for sure brother.

ChuckETraps
07-09-14, 11:49 am
Chest day goes like this

Pause Bench
5 sets 5 reps

Touch n go Bench
5 sets 5-10 reps

Floor Press
3 sets 3-6 reps

Lock outs
3 sets 3-6 reps

DB Flys
4 sets 10-12 reps

Then Tricep Work.

Seems OK to me. High Volume works wonders. Keep up the good work!

G Diesel
07-09-14, 12:09 pm
I dig it. Looks thorough and rugged. Nothing wrong with that, especially if you're taking measures to properly recover.

Peace, G

MR. C
07-09-14, 12:24 pm
Seems OK to me. High Volume works wonders. Keep up the good work!

Thanks bro.

MR. C
07-09-14, 12:24 pm
I dig it. Looks thorough and rugged. Nothing wrong with that, especially if you're taking measures to properly recover.

Peace, G

Thanks G.

Tron
07-10-14, 10:43 am
Overtraining doesn't happen in a day. It happens over months. It is a chronic syndrom that is developed by longterm overreaching.

If a routine is too much to do for one day, you'll know. You'll most likely have to build up to it. The crazy Russians are known for their Smolov protocol for powerlifting. That has you squatting 4x a week at > 80% maximal load for about 4 weeks.

Nathan Brandhorst
07-13-14, 2:34 pm
If you do a day with a lot of volume just make sure you get plenty of sleep before and after that training day and maybe up your cal intake on those days.

MR. C
07-13-14, 5:04 pm
If you do a day with a lot of volume just make sure you get plenty of sleep before and after that training day and maybe up your cal intake on those days.

I make sure I get plenty of sleep after working out hard. Truth is if I work out in the morning then by 8 or 9 that night iam dead tired

weightsb4dates
07-15-14, 5:01 pm
judging by the paused bench press, it looks like you're training more for strength than physique so it could be very taxing if your going really heavy. how ever you've got to base it on how you feel, if the muscles are good to go after a few days, and you don't have the signs of over training; tiredness, grogginess, lethargic, whole body aches, joint pain, muscle tightness. than your probably OK. its hard to ask this question and get reliable answers from any one who isn't you or always around you because no one knows your body like you do.

MR. C
07-21-14, 6:59 pm
If you feel ok then keep doing what your doing. My only advice would be to make sure you are eating enough, sleeping enough and make sure that you take a good multi like Animal Pak.

Jay Nera
07-25-14, 12:42 am
Overtraining is more about your response to stress. Overall stress, not just physical stress…. eat a lot of nutrient dense foods, sleep plenty, get your sex in, surround yourself with good energy, and minimize anything that adds cortisol to your life….
If you are hungry, happy, and horny…and you are sleeping well…. you're doing well…..when those things start diminishing….take some times off.

MR. C
07-25-14, 5:28 pm
Overtraining is more about your response to stress. Overall stress, not just physical stress…. eat a lot of nutrient dense foods, sleep plenty, get your sex in, surround yourself with good energy, and minimize anything that adds cortisol to your life….
If you are hungry, happy, and horny…and you are sleeping well…. you're doing well…..when those things start diminishing….take some times off.

That mite be the best response ever to over training! Awesome!

Rex
07-25-14, 5:55 pm
The only one who can tell you if you´re doing too much is YOU.
Ask yourself "am I making gains/progress with what I am doing?" If yes, go ahead! If not, find out what´s the issue and solve it.

In my opinion most people do not train too hard. Their Training just sucks and that´s why they´re not progressing. Not to mention nutrition and recovery...

Rex
07-25-14, 6:00 pm

Jay,
this is awesome! LOL
Really funny but it totally hits the nail on the head.

Stay hungry, happy and horny! The Jay Nera guidelines to success LOL

Jay Nera
07-25-14, 10:28 pm
Jay,
this is awesome! LOL
Really funny but it totally hits the nail on the head.

Stay hungry, happy and horny! The Jay Nera guidelines to success LOL

haha. Rex and Mr C. Im glad you like.

I can't take credit for the HUNGRY HAPPY AND HORNY line. I heard it somewhere else. I think it was a Poliquin line and he was quoting someone else as well. But it is a pretty accurate and catchy phrase isn't it?