PDA

View Full Version : Bobandys Long Road

BoBandy
07-11-14, 2:11 am
Hey all,

I'm 25 and I've only been at this for about a year and a half, but it's safe to say I'm gonna be a lifer. Year and a half ago, it was winter and I was out of work so my buddy told me to hit the gym with him, so I did, on and off. A few years ago I weighed in at 265 and I had managed to get myself down around 225 and I thought this would probably help more than my living room floor workouts were. A year ago, I started to take training seriously and about 6-7 months ago I was introduced to power lifting and started to put some of that into how I train, bet you'll never guess which Youtube channel I was shown... I'd never done a one rep max lift and I'd never done a dead lift in my life, so I tried it.

Now I've got PRs of:
405 squat
405 dead lift
275 bench

It was great to break 1000. A lot of the time though, with dead lifts, I'll stop myself short because I'm worried I'm gonna hurt my back. When I get past it, good things happen, last time I did, I went from 315 to 365 to 385 in one day. I'm confident in my form, but I still sometimes drop it halfway and I feel like I'm robbing myself of more weight I know could be moving. I wanna get past that. I have a belt too, but I don't really find it helps me that much. I've tried it across my lower back, and a touch higher, over my stomach just to see, but neither seemed to do any good, even as a placebo. I'm still looking to shed some fat too, but I figure that'll come with good diet and hard training. I train 5 on, 2 off but thinking about changing it up a bit. If anyone's got any thoughts, I'd love to hear em!

Here's hoping I break 1100 soon.

BoBandy
07-20-14, 7:29 pm
You think you know something...

So, last week I started training at Dynamo Barbell with Jay Nera. I'd never been trained by anyone before, so I didn't know what to expect but I feel like it went well.
I was only there for 2 days, so we worked squats one day and bench the next. I had no idea how out of whack my squat form was. I've always had an issue with depth and front squats (which I'd done once before, ever) turned out to be the answer. Back squats, front squats and box jumps... man my legs were sore for daaays. Bench day went a little smoother, but still lots of tweaks. Started with the bar and did a set, added 10 lbs, repeat.
Low weight and tons of reps both days to make sure I get proper form. It sort of feels like I'm starting over again, but I'm okay with that cuz now I know I at least wont get hurt because of bad form. I really wish I'd have found this place sooner, but hey, better late than never. Shout out to my training partner Jesse for getting me to go with him.

More to come and I can't wait.