PDA

View Full Version : Smadayjr's PL Log

smadayjr
07-11-14, 2:40 am
Been awhile since I've done a log in any board, so I figured no time better than the present to get one going ;)

Stats
6'5
290lbs (compete in 308 weight class, raw w/wraps)

Meet PR's
Squat - 644
Bench - 512
Deadlift - 777

Training PR's
Squat - 710
Bench - 500
Deadlift - 800

I'm just over a week away from the uspa nationals, which I hope to total over 2000. The squat and DL training PR's both happened this past training cycle, so I'm pretty excited about this meet.

For my training, I have been working with Josh bryant for right around a year, and I'm loving his program.

Over the next week or two, there won't be much updating as far as this log goes, other than how the meet goes. After that though, I will be logging my training as I get ready for a deadlift only even at the Olympia in September.

I have my YouTube link in my sig if anyone is interested in my videos, and I'm always here to answer any questions. Feel free to critique anything you see, as I'm constantly trying to learn and become the best and strongest I can be in thus game.

smadayjr
07-12-14, 3:46 pm
Doing some real light work today just to get some blood pumping. Also some foam rolling and stretching on tap as well.

Food intake hasn't been what it needs to be the last few days, so I need to get that in order so my body is primed and ready to go for next weekend. Has been abnormally humid here the last week or so, and it's messed with my appetite.

Hopefully should find out roster and flight info within the next few days.

Inarius
07-12-14, 4:13 pm
I'll be following along to this for sure. Good luck at the meet.

smadayjr
07-12-14, 4:38 pm
I'll be following along to this for sure. Good luck at the meet.

Thanks! I hate this time period, cuz it's all waiting around getting anxious for it to finally get here lol.

smadayjr
07-14-14, 2:54 pm
Last few days have been a gorge fest of Korean BBQ, sushi and doughnuts lol. Just making sure I'm getting in enough cals to recover from this past training cycle, and I'm able to get the most rebound I can.

Today went in and did some light work:

3 sets bench
3 sets tri pressdowns
3 sets lat pulldowns
3 sets face pulls

Tomorrow will be some more foam rolling and stretching, along with 30 mins of waking and that'll pretty much be a wrap til meet day. May do something similar on Thursday as well, just to get moving around a little.

weightsb4dates
07-14-14, 4:06 pm
in on this. checked out your youtube as well, very impressive.

smadayjr
07-17-14, 6:15 pm
in on this. checked out your youtube as well, very impressive.

Thanks!

smadayjr
07-17-14, 6:17 pm
Rosters and flights were announced....

Little nervous, as there's gonna be 2 sessions and I'm in the second one and my training partner is in the first one. We both handle and wrap for each other, so I'll have to be there all day. It's gonna be tough standing around for 6-7 hours, then try lifting.

smadayjr
07-19-14, 7:35 pm
Weighed in at 283 this morning. Could have easily cut to 275 if I really wanted to but not my style lol.

Got dime good food in me earlier and been napping and relaxing all day. Head to dinner in a little while, then it's meet day. Can't wait!

Inarius
07-19-14, 8:27 pm
Weighed in at 283 this morning. Could have easily cut to 275 if I really wanted to but not my style lol.

Got dime good food in me earlier and been napping and relaxing all day. Head to dinner in a little while, then it's meet day. Can't wait!

Good luck bro! Kill it!

smadayjr
07-19-14, 9:54 pm
Good luck bro! Kill it!

Thanks man!

Nathan Brandhorst
07-20-14, 1:18 pm
How did the meet go for you?

smadayjr
07-20-14, 10:30 pm
How did the meet go for you?

Sitting in the ER right now with a hernia at minimum lol. Hit 650 on squat for my opener, went 705 on second attempt and shit popped as I tried coming out of the hole. Waiting on a ct scan to see how bad the damage really is.

smadayjr
07-21-14, 12:42 am
Sitting in the ER right now with a hernia at minimum lol. Hit 650 on squat for my opener, went 705 on second attempt and shit popped as I tried coming out of the hole. Waiting on a ct scan to see how bad the damage really is.

Ended up not being a hernia, but an extremely bad abductor tear that resulted in a hematoma. Bright side is no surgery required at this point unless something goes wrong.

Inarius
07-22-14, 8:46 am
Ended up not being a hernia, but an extremely bad abductor tear that resulted in a hematoma. Bright side is no surgery required at this point unless something goes wrong.

Sorry to hear man that's terrible. My buddy tore his abductor last year squatting. Good news is that he made a full recovery, but it took him a while to get back to where he was. I hope you have a speedy recovery bro and keep us updated.

smadayjr
07-22-14, 1:05 pm
Sorry to hear man that's terrible. My buddy tore his abductor last year squatting. Good news is that he made a full recovery, but it took him a while to get back to where he was. I hope you have a speedy recovery bro and keep us updated.

Thanks man, appreciate it. Ya hopefully recovery will go well, just gotta get myself in the right mental place. As of right now I'm pretty down, and know it's gonna take a long time to get back to where I was.

weightsb4dates
07-22-14, 3:30 pm
Thanks man, appreciate it. Ya hopefully recovery will go well, just gotta get myself in the right mental place. As of right now I'm pretty down, and know it's gonna take a long time to get back to where I was.

you can still do accessory work and very light single joint movements after a few weeks just to get blood flowing around the area, and on the bright side the injury will eat a ton of your daily calories, so you can drop your bf% a bit easier/ add more food (justifiably). take extra free time to spend with family and friends. the time will pass, and you will be back in there killin it again, good luck with a quick and speedy recovery.

smadayjr
07-29-14, 1:35 pm
you can still do accessory work and very light single joint movements after a few weeks just to get blood flowing around the area, and on the bright side the injury will eat a ton of your daily calories, so you can drop your bf% a bit easier/ add more food (justifiably). take extra free time to spend with family and friends. the time will pass, and you will be back in there killin it again, good luck with a quick and speedy recovery.

Thanks man, appreciate it.

So after MRI and all that jazz, looks like I'm looking at about 6-8 week recovery time. Still can't walk without it being pretty painful. Once I can though, I'll at least be able to hit upper body, then slowly work lower back into the mix.

As of right now, shooting fur the SuperTraining meet in march as the next time I compete.

smadayjr
08-04-14, 12:40 am
Hip and groin are slowly starting to feel better. Still a ways to go though before I'll be able to squat or even deadlift. My main focus now is just to try and gain as much size as I can, in order to get as close to that 308 mark as possible. Talking with my training partner, really makes no sense coming in on the lighter side of the 308 class, since the difference in wilks score being 305 compared to 285 is minimal. In the past getting over 300lbs I had to literally force feed myself and was miserable, fat and out of breath all the time lol. Gonna try doing it a little more on the clean side this time, and actually do some cardio for overall health benefits. Most likely I won't get over the 300 hundred mark, but any extra weight/muscle I can add will help me in the long run I feel.

Yesterday I did some back work. Felt very weak and didn't do a whole lot. After being pretty much bed bound for 2 weeks doesn't make you stronger apparently lol. Here's what I did:

Hammer strength row
1 plate each side x 25
2 plates x 20
3 plates x 15
4 plates x 12 (3 sets)

BB shrugs
315 x 20
405 x 15 (3 sets)

Lat pulldowns
275 x 12 (3 sets)

smadayjr
08-05-14, 1:12 pm
Did some chest and bi work yesterday, still feel so weak.

Incline bench
95 x 20
135 x 15
185 x 10
225 x 8
275 x 6
275 x 6
275 x 6
295 x 12

Flat DB bench
75 x 15
75 x 15
75 x 12

DB flyes
50 x 12
50 x 10
50 x 10

Preacher DB curls
35 x 12
3 sets each arm

DB HS machine
105 x 8 x 5
Kind of rest pause type set.

smadayjr
08-08-14, 1:04 am
Workout tonight

SOHP
bar x 20
95 x 15
135 x 12
185 x 8
295 x 6
225 x 5
225 x 5
135 x 18

Pendlay rows
185 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 10

BB shrugs
455 x 8
3 sets

HS close grip rows
3 pps x 12
3 sets

Cable face pulls
57.5 x 15
3 sets

smadayjr
08-11-14, 10:47 pm
Tried some real light lower body stuff yesterday:

Hypers
BW x 20
3 sets

Deads
135 x 5
3 sets

Leg ext
95 x 15
3 sets

Leg curls
100 x 12

1 legged DB SDL's
20lb x 8 (each leg)
3 sets

Today's session

Bench
Bar x 20
95 x 20
135 x 15
185 x 12
225 x 10
275 x 5 (all reps paused)
315 x 5 (last rep paused)
365 x 3 (last rep paused)
405 x 3 (last rep paused)

Dips
BW x 15
3 sets

Pec dec
150 x 15
3 sets

smadayjr
08-17-14, 7:31 am
This past week has been rough, since I went back to work. The extra moving around took a toll on my hip and has been pretty sore all week. Wasn't able to workout much, so nothing worth noting. Hoping to get a bench session in today with my training partner, but well see.