PDA

View Full Version : peaking for meets?

rawgust
07-12-14, 4:24 pm
how do you guys like to peak for a meet? this is only my second meet and im still trying to figure it out

smadayjr
07-12-14, 4:53 pm
It's definitely something that takes time and figuring out what is going to work best for you. I have had the luxury of working with josh Bryant, so it takes a lot of the guess work out of figuring out how to get your body primed and peaking at the right time. Not saying that he has it down to an exact science, since everyone is different, but he's been pretty damn close.

If you have the extra cash it's definitely worth getting with a guy like josh, or Brandon Lilly or Dan green (if they're taking on new clients). Those guys have a wealth of knowledge and experience and would for sure give you a great plan on how to design your training from way far out from the meet, right up until meet day.

What has worked for me so far, is doing a lot of volume up until about 10 weeks out or so, then dropping it slowly and increasing the intensity. So for squats, staying around the 4-5 rep range up until about 8-10 weeks out, then decreasing the reps and increasing the weight. It's gonna be all about listening to your body as far as how much you adjust the weight on given lifts each week, as you don't want to jump to fast and start missing lifts. At the same time though, you don't want to short change yourself and not go heavy enough. It really is an inexact science that takes years for guys to perfect what works for them.

I will say that one if the biggest things I've found is during the times when you're 10-20 weeks out, is really hammering the accessory work, and getting stronger at those lifts (along with the big 3) because I feel that those lifts really enable to push yourself more once you start to get into the meet prep, and allow for you to peak as much as possible.

Nathan Brandhorst
07-13-14, 2:39 pm
You really have to play with it. Last meet I hit my openers 4 days before the comp. This time I am going to try hitting my openers 2 weeks out and following that up with more training and taking 5 days off. Rest is big, you might feel good muscle wise, but the CNS can take awhile to get back to 100% and doing 9 of the biggest lifts you got will wear you out.

J Wong
08-03-14, 11:02 pm
It takes some experience to figure it out, but I like to do something along the lines of this:

Start a 10-12 meet prep cycle with higher volume/reps and taper it down closer to the meet while increasing the weight. At about 3-4 weeks out, I usually feel so beat up and weak that everything is feeling heavy. I take my last squat 14 days out, deadlift about 18 days out, and last bench 10 days out. Since I am reaching the point of overtraining (that's what I like to call it, lots of people disagree), I like to take 9-10 days completely off from doing anything before the meet. I feel completely refreshed by meet day and it helps me feel strong on that particular day for all 3 lifts.

smadayjr
08-03-14, 11:09 pm
It takes some experience to figure it out, but I like to do something along the lines of this:

Start a 10-12 meet prep cycle with higher volume/reps and taper it down closer to the meet while increasing the weight. At about 3-4 weeks out, I usually feel so beat up and weak that everything is feeling heavy. I take my last squat 14 days out, deadlift about 18 days out, and last bench 10 days out. Since I am reaching the point of overtraining (that's what I like to call it, lots of people disagree), I like to take 9-10 days completely off from doing anything before the meet. I feel completely refreshed by meet day and it helps me feel strong on that particular day for all 3 lifts.

This is very similar to what I have done when working with josh Bryant, and so far has worked very well. I feel by doing this, you get almost a rebound effect and end up doing more at the meet than in training. Up until my last meet (because I got hurt) all my meet numbers were higher than anything I had hit in training.

J Wong
08-03-14, 11:24 pm
This is very similar to what I have done when working with josh Bryant, and so far has worked very well. I feel by doing this, you get almost a rebound effect and end up doing more at the meet than in training. Up until my last meet (because I got hurt) all my meet numbers were higher than anything I had hit in training.

Yeah, it is never confidence boosting when everything over 80% feels heavy leading up to a meet, but it seems to work out every time!

P Diesel
08-04-14, 10:28 am
i agree w jordan, happens every time. wow this feels super heavy what the fuck. but come meet day its always another pr

P

GUNZ
08-04-14, 10:31 am
Yeah, it is never confidence boosting when everything over 80% feels heavy leading up to a meet, but it seems to work out every time!

i agree w jordan, happens every time. wow this feels super heavy what the fuck. but come meet day its always another pr

P

I agree guys! Usually toward the end your beat to shit and everything feels heavy! Take 7 days off and boom on meet day weight is flying around.

P Diesel
08-04-14, 1:53 pm
I agree guys! Usually toward the end your beat to shit and everything feels heavy! Take 7 days off and boom on meet day weight is flying around.

yea mna, totally beat to shit toward the end of the cycle, that little time off before the contest or meet does wonders. usually do sum stuff at teh beginnign of the week and then at least 3 full days off.

P

Jay Nera
08-19-14, 10:56 pm
Mike Israetel wrote a good article on this recently called Peaking for Powerlifting.

J Wong
08-19-14, 11:00 pm
Mike Israetel wrote a good article on this recently called Peaking for Powerlifting.

Don't worry Jay, I will do the difficult part!

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/08/12/peaking-powerlifting/

Jay Nera
08-28-14, 7:42 pm
Don't worry Jay, I will do the difficult part!

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/08/12/peaking-powerlifting/

lol. Thank you Jordan.

Brandon Lilly
08-28-14, 8:53 pm
Im much like J Wong, I run 10 week cycles, my last heavy dead is 3 weeks out, heavy squat is 2 weeks out, and heavy bench is 10 days out. I don't try to PR until the platform.

Pale Rider
08-31-14, 8:34 pm
It all goes on how you feel I've done some meets where my last heavy squat and bench were done a week out n hit some prs on the plat form that way