PDA

View Full Version : Wee little arms

Bayounix
07-23-14, 10:24 am
Hows it going guys, I've had a lot of trouble with arm growth. Compared to the rest of my frame, my arms look like they belong on a pre-pubescent. I think one of the difficulties is that im so damn long (6 foot 4 with long ass limbs). Anybody have some favorite supersets or techniques like going down the rack that they've had good success with?

Firefist
07-23-14, 10:27 am
Make sure you're eating bro. I had the hardest time growing my arms in high school, primarily cause i didn't eat right.

Barbell curls, and straight bar extensions are my favorite exercises for arms.

Bayounix
07-23-14, 10:43 am
Make sure you're eating bro. I had the hardest time growing my arms in high school, primarily cause i didn't eat right.

Barbell curls, and straight bar extensions are my favorite exercises for arms.

Oh yeah man, I need to start measuring everything out more accurately. I just cant make them sore for the life of me, Those two are definitely timeless classics!

Big Wides
07-23-14, 10:59 am
Time and consistent training are going to make your arms grow. You don't need to do drop sets or anything fancy if you're looking to add size, throw those components in every once in a while but keep shit simple to make them grow. For a while, when I trained arms on a regular basis, my routine was something like this:

Close Grip Bench - 4x8
Tricep Pushdowns - 4x8
Tricep Extension or Skullcrushers - 4x8

Standing Straight Bar Curl - 4x8
Alt DB Curl - 4x8
Preacher Curl - 4x8

Nothing fancy or shiny about this workout. Remember if you are hitting all of the compound movements heavy you are training your arms as well through indirect work in the main movements.

Bayounix
07-23-14, 11:11 am
Time and consistent training are going to make your arms grow. You don't need to do drop sets or anything fancy if you're looking to add size, throw those components in every once in a while but keep shit simple to make them grow. For a while, when I trained arms on a regular basis, my routine was something like this:

Close Grip Bench - 4x8
Tricep Pushdowns - 4x8
Tricep Extension or Skullcrushers - 4x8

Standing Straight Bar Curl - 4x8
Alt DB Curl - 4x8
Preacher Curl - 4x8

Nothing fancy or shiny about this workout. Remember if you are hitting all of the compound movements heavy you are training your arms as well through indirect work in the main movements.

Good points brother, thanks for the advice. Ill run through that this afternoon, I need to write "Keep shit simple" on my damn mirror lol

Tiger
07-23-14, 11:14 am
You could always try dropping the weight. Focus on the contraction, then control the weight on the negative. Strict reps. Towards the end of the set you can maybe throw in a few cheat reps, but make sure you're hitting the bicep/tricep and not just moving weight by any means necessary.

I think this is even more important on arms.

RK
07-23-14, 1:01 pm
I had the same exact problem (6'1 long limbs). I tried program after program to get them to grow and what finally started working was backing off. I went from having arms on its own day to moving biceps with chest and tri's with delts. Bi's are 6-8 sets after chest and tris are 8-10 varying between before and after delts. Within the first month i saw more growth than i had in the last year. I attribute it to avoiding the overlap of training 5 days in a week instead of my current 4. This may not work for you but i would encourage you to try it for a month and see what happens.

Swolepez
07-23-14, 2:10 pm
You could always try dropping the weight. Focus on the contraction, then control the weight on the negative. Strict reps. Towards the end of the set you can maybe throw in a few cheat reps, but make sure you're hitting the bicep/tricep and not just moving weight by any means necessary.

I think this is even more important on arms.

This^^^ I use this technique for arms especially Bc shoulders and back can get involved quickly if you don't keep form tight.

moparguy55
07-23-14, 10:04 pm
db hammers really helped my bicep growth and upper forearm. Starting out strict with lighter dbs then go up heavy as i can for 3-4 cheat reps. i also like straight bb curls but got to keep strict form as mentioned.
close grip bench start with like 10-12 reps finish heavy 3-5 reps

Nathan Brandhorst
07-24-14, 1:35 am
Frequency for me on the smaller muscle groups has worked very well for me. Tris 3 times a week usually 16ish sets each day and bis 2 times a week around 10 sets.

dante
07-24-14, 3:51 am
Yep. what Nathan said: Frequency and rotation works well for me, too. I train biceps up to three days a week and I will change it up every 4-6 weeks. Do heavy curls with the EZ-bar for 5-8 reps and in another cycle super-strict isolation exercises with really low weight for 10-15 reps. Tris react well to heavy stuff like rolling dumbbell extensions in a lower rep range for me.

jeff00z28
07-27-14, 5:15 pm
close grip bench or dips w/ ego in check do the trick for me. Some cable excercises too help and also make my elbows feel better

my favorite bicep movements are seated incline db curls, and ez-bar preacher curls

KettleBellFreak
07-27-14, 10:21 pm
FST7 has done wonders for me. Heavy ass presses and posing. Eat and train hard is mandatory for anything