PDA

View Full Version : Your Reason Here

Kingslayer
08-11-14, 6:46 pm
I've never been one of those consistent people. I'm having to constantly motivate myself to achieve what is I think I want. Shit we never really know, until we get there and then we're on to the next thing. We've all set goals. Some of us have achieved them, some of us have smashed them, and some of us are still in the hunt. I forever want to be in the hunt. I never want to lose my hunger. You often here athletes talk about "there is no off season" or "get better every day" but in reality we know those things aren't true. You're gonna fall off, you're gonna stall, you're gonna lose a little bit before you can gain again. Accepting those hard truths will only make you better. Whether you're power lifting or bodybuilding you're gonna approach it with a little bit of ego. After all, it's all on you anyway right? The way you look... how much you lift... only person who really gives a shit is you. So what do you do? Post a bunch of quotes and pictures of dudes you want to look like? Stand in the mirror for hours analyzing every angle? Do you write about it? Are you motivated by tragedy? Love? Family? What is it that fuels the fire?

For a lot of people this forum is sanctuary. People have built relationships that will last a lifetime here. There's plenty of people to lean on for help, support, and advice. But like I said before ultimately it's all on you. So what motivates you? Why are you so dedicated? What's gonna separate you from your internal and external competition? Whatever the reason hold it high above your head for everyone to see. Let others use it if they need to. My reason? I want to be the foundation for my family and friends. I want to be the person they call on in times of need. I want each and every one of them to know that no matter how far apart we get I'm there. I may never get that 8th rep of 405 on the bench. I may never get my ass to the grass. But I'm going to continue to try. Continue to keep my core tight and my head up. Continue to eat these fuckin chicken breasts. Until one day I get to the end of that tunnel and start to see another one up open in the distance... what are you gonna do?

BRIGNAC
08-14-14, 5:54 pm
what am I going to do? I am going to compete in my first meet at the end of October in Tuscaloosa Al. I am young and without much of any knowledge in this sport, this life. I am 25 and am just getting started. I have worked out or trained in years past but never consistent. I start and then fall off again, I gain and then lose again. Well enough is enough! I love to compete and grew up playing sports but ever since school ended all I do is work and try to support my better half and my 2 1/2 year old son. For the past many months I have been going straight to the gym and hitting it hard, but not hard enough, well now the meet is scheduled and my mind is made up. I want to be "super strong" like my innocent son thinks I am and I want to do it most of all for me. I want to play this game and live this life through all the pain and the GAIN!

G Diesel
08-14-14, 6:22 pm
Amazing posts fellas. Thank you for the inspiration.

Peace, G

DaveRegio
08-18-14, 4:00 pm
My motivation?

I read this thread Saturday night before I went out for my weekly long run, and over the course of the next 8 miles, I thought long and hard about it. See, back in December 2012, I was overweight, out-of-shape, pushing 40 and was dealing with my youngest son's autism diagnosis. At the time, I thought it would be best to make a change for myself, get in shape and eat right. My motivation was there and my goals were relatively modest: eliminate junk food and hit the gym a few times a week (an elliptical machine and weights).

However, a bunch of "strange" things started to happen along the way. First, no sooner was I starting my plan was I talked into running a half marathon. I couldn't run to the end of the street and back let alone 13.1 miles but what the hell. I had no idea whether or not I'd finish or finish in a respectable time but I spent the next 18 weeks training for it. In April 2013, down 25 lbs and having trained hard, I ran a 2:18:00 half marathon in and around the campus of Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ.

The same brother in law that told me about the half marathon suggested a Tough Mudder. Why the hell not. I had already had success with a run so why not take this on. While I was not able to do the race because of scheduling conflicts, the experience turned me on to other forms of training that I still use to this day, mainly HIIT training and calisthenics-based work. I maintained my cardio base while incorporating these kinds of exercises into my regimen. While I didn't have anything to train for, it started to become an important part of my life, something I would do after taking care of the kids, putting them to bed, working on homework, etc. I started reading about diet, supplements, routines, etc. I had met up with a group of people at my local gym and we share the same interests, etc. It became less about training and more about the enjoyment of it all.

This past March, I really started to push hard with calisthenics training and have incorporated a number of exercises and routines from people I know out of Brooklyn that train in the bar parks in NYC. While I don't get to train with them often, I see their videos on Facebook, read about routines, read their stories, etc. That helps to motivate me for sure, but the biggest motivation I have is the fact I'm having fun. By fun, I don't mean just blasting myself silly with a timed pull-up drill or a push-up/burpee pyramid from hell, it's learning about the different ways I can make myself better. Earlier this summer, this community and Animal supplements became a very significant part of that.

I may not be a body builder or a power lifter but that doesn't mean that I can't learn a thing or two or twenty from them, and I most certainly have with respect to some things like nutrition and a kick-ass work ethic. It helped shape my mentality from "lighter is better" (I cut weight to do better on the pull up bar) to "stronger is better" (thanks to some email exchanges with CammaRhino, I'm embracing the possibility of adding a little more mass). To illustrate another example of my being a geek in this way, I thought it may be a good idea to watch a video of a bodybuilder describing what supplements he uses to prepare for a competition. That such information may be completely outside my own scope of training never bothered to register in my brain. The video I'm referring to is the Roman Fritz video. I liked it so much that not only did I watch it twice but it his description of Animal Omega and the way he described it turned on a light bulb in my head. He got to teach me something and the company got a new Omega customer (win-win-win for all). I've also learned a lot about the different packs, what they do and how important it is for the diet to be dialed in. I've tried several of them (ran a Pak-Stak-Cuts in July with great results and now finishing out a Pak-MStak-Pump cycle). I can't think of one that is not excellent (this isn't meant as a product review so I'll leave it at that).

While I don't like answering a question with a question, the answer to the question of what motivates me is: What doesn't? In a way, I don't belong here nor should I be sharing any of this with any of you. I'm just a 41-year old Dad that wanted to get in some kind of shape for my own health and so I can do a reasonable job playing with my kids. I never expected to be in the best shape of my life. I never expected to have the level of command over my nutrition that I do. I never expected to understand all the things I understand today. I never expected to discover that the best part of being on the journey is the fact that I've come to terms with the value of being on the journey (especially since I never expected one). I may be in a different place than others because I don't have the pressures of ever having to set foot on a competitive stage, but I know there will be bad days. Over the course of my short training "career", I've had them. I've had a few minor injuries. I've had times where my diet hasn't been the best (I must have eaten 3,000 calories after experiencing the increased appetite with M-Stak and was STILL hungry). I've had days where I've sucked it up in the gym (my foray into the low-carb world was probably an unmitigated disaster in this respect). Yet, I don't let it bother me.

Most of all, I never expected to be an inspiration to others, yet to some, my story and journey have done just that. In a particularly touching moment, my oldest son wanted me to watch him do something and that "something" was him taking my paralletes and trying to do tuck holds. I'm not the kind of Dad that will push my son into anything like that so the fact that he thought enough to try that because he's seen me work on L-Sits is touching. Because of what I've been able to learn about nutrition, I've had several people ask me about weight loss and general health issues. I enjoy what I do immensely and make no mistake do have some lofty goals, but at the end of the day, it's the journey itself that keeps me going. No matter where I go or what I do, it helps me and it helps others. As far as I'm concerned, if I never reach certain goals, it won't make the journey any less than what it is and it will never change the fact that an ordinary guy like me can help people. It's all quite humbling.

Cellardweller
08-18-14, 10:09 pm
I had started my Journey here after about 5-6 years off training. I had a moment (described in my opening post) that caused me to take a look at myself and I didn't like what I saw. I was becoming a middle aged fat guy. But I think the spirit of this thread goes beyond that. I started lifting for high school football and other sports. That was the real gateway. After high school I continued to train, but why? I was, and kind of still am a quiet guy. I had a rough start in college and I think I built up not muscle, but armor as a kind of protection from the world. As I became more adjusted I guess, I use the iron to burn off the stress of everyday life. This is also pretty evident if you follow me LOL. After finding Animal and taking my life back, I discovered powerlifting and now have other reasons to lift and train heavy. Something to focus all that stress at. I've only really competed in one full power meet. Life has gotten in the way of most of my oppertunities to compete, but I still plan on taking it to the platform the next chance I get.

Cellardweller
08-18-14, 10:18 pm
In a way, I don't belong here nor should I be sharing any of this with any of you. I'm just a 41-year old Dad that wanted to get in some kind of shape for my own health and so I can do a reasonable job playing with my kids. I never expected to be in the best shape of my life. I never expected to have the level of command over my nutrition that I do. I never expected to understand all the things I understand today. I never expected to discover that the best part of being on the journey is the fact that I've come to terms with the value of being on the journey (especially since I never expected one). I may be in a different place than others because I don't have the pressures of ever having to set foot on a competitive stage, but I know there will be bad days. Over the course of my short training "career", I've had them. I've had a few minor injuries. I've had times where my diet hasn't been the best (I must have eaten 3,000 calories after experiencing the increased appetite with M-Stak and was STILL hungry). I've had days where I've sucked it up in the gym (my foray into the low-carb world was probably an unmitigated disaster in this respect). Yet, I don't let it bother me.

Most of all, I never expected to be an inspiration to others, yet to some, my story and journey have done just that. In a particularly touching moment, my oldest son wanted me to watch him do something and that "something" was him taking my paralletes and trying to do tuck holds. I'm not the kind of Dad that will push my son into anything like that so the fact that he thought enough to try that because he's seen me work on L-Sits is touching. Because of what I've been able to learn about nutrition, I've had several people ask me about weight loss and general health issues. I enjoy what I do immensely and make no mistake do have some lofty goals, but at the end of the day, it's the journey itself that keeps me going. No matter where I go or what I do, it helps me and it helps others. As far as I'm concerned, if I never reach certain goals, it won't make the journey any less than what it is and it will never change the fact that an ordinary guy like me can help people. It's all quite humbling.

Welcome to The Legion brother. I can't think of anyone who belongs here more than you. That last paragraph is awesome. Posting and sharing here also inspires others. People lurk around here sometimes for years before actually posting and asking their own questions and starting a Journey. Not all of us compete. The biggest competition is with yourself. Sharing this story may help someone else just like you to step foreward too. All are welcome.

wes
08-18-14, 11:45 pm
Basically just really got tired of being overweight in high school and bullied a bit. I weighed around 300 at my highest. When college rolled around I was 185 and the weight was lost in an unhealthy way combined with cardio. I then got into lifting here and there but didn't take it serious until a couple years ago. I have had people from high school see me after the few years since graduation and compliment me but I know that I can be better than I currently am (currently 6'5" 227). That's what is driving me now, every day be better than yesterday (both in and out the gym). And also these forums have been a great source of motivation for me as well, so thank you guys as well.

Kingslayer
08-20-14, 3:10 am
Glad to see some people responding. We're all here for each other whether you're on a stage or not.

BRIGNAC
08-21-14, 4:02 pm
what am I going to do? I am going to compete in my first meet at the end of October in Tuscaloosa Al. I am young and without much of any knowledge in this sport, this life. I am 25 and am just getting started. I have worked out or trained in years past but never consistent. I start and then fall off again, I gain and then lose again. Well enough is enough! I love to compete and grew up playing sports but ever since school ended all I do is work and try to support my better half and my 2 1/2 year old son. For the past many months I have been going straight to the gym and hitting it hard, but not hard enough, well now the meet is scheduled and my mind is made up. I want to be "super strong" like my innocent son thinks I am and I want to do it most of all for me. I want to play this game and live this life through all the pain and the GAIN!

Well slight change of plans on the meet. My coach "Guns" had brought up the option of the Tuscaloosa meet and I thought that would be the route we were going, but turns out we are going for IRONFEST down in Defuniak springs, Florida Nov 8th. I know there will be some animals there!