PDA

View Full Version : Fighting gravity and the threat of a coming “planet”.

Erik
08-25-14, 12:10 pm
As a child, I had very little interest in anything besides comic books and action figures, and I was terrified of EVERYTHING. Then at 12, I fell madly, deeply and hopelessly in love with the simple act of picking up a loaded barbell and fighting gravity. I was not athletically inclined or naturally strong, and my body had a tendency to hold onto fat, not muscle. Still, I trained. Progress did not come easy and when I tried to speed up the process, I got punished. If I tried to increase my food intake in an effort to gain mass and strength, I just got fat. If I tried to starve myself in an effort to get ripped, I would just lose a bunch of muscle and end up flat. Strength did not come easy either. I first benched 225 for a single at 18, six years after I started lifting. Still, I kept training. I trained through some very rough patches, including my mother’s first bout with breast cancer, then my father’s death a year later and losing our house shortly after that, all before I turned 20. Sometimes I would train in a poorly maintained gym where cables snapped, other times I would lift in a garage that reeked of dog s***, and little by little, progress came. Since the internet was in its embryonic stages, the only way to learn was to ask questions from the more seasoned veterans of the iron game. So to that end, I learned to train in GYMS, and I learned to train heavy. In time, the monsters in the gym that terrified me, accepted me and I became one of them.

Over time, my lifting took me to some interesting places and brought some wonderful people into my life. I have competing successfully in powerlifting meets through the years, even winning my division at the RPS NJ States against some good competitors in 2012. In 2013, I was selected by universal nutrition to participate in their annual plane pull for charity. None of this would have been possible without the lessons that I learned in the hardcore gyms of my youth.

The gyms where I trained and learned were Spartan had free weights, hammer strength, some machines and heavy dumbbells. Most importantly, the people that trained there trained to GROW. There was no “fluff” and no sugar coating anything, if you did something wrong, you were told. Still, it didn’t matter how weak you were or what you looked like, you were treated with respect as long as you trained hard.

Sadly, all of those gyms are now gone, replaced by big box franchise fitness centers and crossfit studios. 10 years ago, the hardcore lifting community thought that the cookie cutter franchises were bad enough. However, today we have a bigger threat, Planet Fitness.

For those unaware planet fitness is a franchise that made a name by not catering to bodybuilders, powerlifters or hardcore fitness enthusiasts. Planet fitness offers only selectorized weight machines and smith machines, no barbells and dumbbells that go up to 80lbs at most. What planet fitness does have is clever marketing. First, they provide free pizza and bagels during different times of the week as well as tootsie rolls. More importantly, they go out of their way to create an atmosphere to discourage the more serious clientele. Perhaps most importantly, they classify all bodybuilders and powerlifters as “lunks”, going so far as creating commercials to perpetuate that stereotype. I should mention that I do train a friend who is a member at planet fitness and she trains hard, but she is fully aware that sooner or later, she will outgrow the place.

Now here is the problem, planet fitness does big business and as a result, they are popping up all over the place. Since there is only so much room in the fitness market, when a planet fitness opens up in a new area, it makes it hard for a mom and pop owned gym to survive and over time, those gyms are forced to close. Now here is the question, once an established, independent hardcore gym closes, where are the members supposed to go? Normally when a competing business forces a competitor to close, the customers typically would just go to the surviving Business. Now what’s happening with planet fitness is an interesting phenomenon that may not have been seen in business before. When a serious bodybuilding gym closes and the only place left is a planet fitness, the lifters are essentially left “homeless”, meaning that their only options are to travel to out of the way gyms, stop training or conform to planet fitness’s business model and downgrade their training. To be blunt, planet fitness is basically trying to force bodybuilding into extinction (on some level, they may be succeeding). Furthermore, they are limiting the progress that their current members might make in a better equipped facility, thus ensuring that everyone roughly stays at the same level. Now what does this have to do with the average person that has no interest in gym culture? EVERYTHING.

What is happening in the fitness industry is a reflection of what is happening to small businesses and individuality as a whole. In the last decade, legendary places like CBGB’s, numerous other music clubs and many other established business have all shuttered, replaced by large corporate owned chain stores or in some cases, nothing at all.

Slowly but surely, our individuality and culture are being taken away, replaced by homogenized, prepackaged, nonthreatening versions of what they once were.

I want to deadlift heavy and use chalk. I want to listen to live music by an artist that performs for the love of it in a dirty rock club, I want to drink black coffee instead of a skinny mocha latte and occasionally, I want a pastrami sandwich (unless I am cutting) from a hundred year old deli.

You will NEVER find the same quality of a product in a franchise that you would in a mom and pop place.

So if you love your hardcore gym and love lifting heavy, then you have a responsibility to spread the word about what you do and where you do it and as Dave Tate says “LIVE, LEARN, PASS ON.

Lethall105
08-25-14, 1:28 pm
Hear you brother. I am also forced to train in a gym with a few rules similar to Planet fitness although nowhere near as bad as I have heard. All these pretty boys doing arms all day everyday and cardio bunnies giving me dirty looks as I chalk up and step to the bar. Have had to wake up earlier to avoid the crowds in order to train before class. The 'personal' trainers seem to be on a constant bulk, and although there is a prowler/sled always available, access to it is only for people who take the classes. People who can't, in fact, don't even want to use it because it is too 'tough'.

But still, I carry on, because it is what is available. Can't wait to get out of uni, and maybe someday get a warehouse and set up a proper gym for people who are there to train, not 'work out'.

All the best,
Lethall

naturalguy
08-25-14, 2:03 pm
Very well said E. I would have used many expletives when describing PF.

We have to do what we can to support the serious hardcore gyms that are left, keep them going and show people the light.

G Diesel
08-25-14, 2:11 pm
I agree with just about everything you said, my brother. These sorts of gyms and private-owned businesses are very much woven into the fabric of my life.

It seems so obvious that YOU were born to open your own hardcore gym, as a tribute to all of these great, fading and forgotten institutions.

Your passion is undeniable.

Peace, G

Erik
08-25-14, 2:19 pm
Very well said E. I would have used many expletives when describing PF.

We have to do what we can to support the serious hardcore gyms that are left, keep them going and show people the light.

Thank you NG.

I firmly believe that Both the Universal and Animal brands have done wonderful things in regards to keeping people aware of the remaining hardcore gyms.

Erik
08-25-14, 2:24 pm
I agree with just about everything you said, my brother. These sorts of gyms and private-owned businesses are very much woven into the fabric of my life.

It seems so obvious that YOU were born to open your own hardcore gym, as a tribute to all of these great, fading and forgotten institutions.

Your passion is undeniable.

Peace, G

Thank you G.

I have had the honor of sharing the platform with you and NG on numorous occasions as well as the plane pull, and I look forward to what may come.

Rest assured, If I ever gather the funds and resources to open my own gym, The Animal and Universal crew will always be welcome :)