PDA

View Full Version : Back at it - no more excuses

jpertuit
09-01-14, 6:59 pm
I've lurked around this forum for years, always reading, never speaking, although I haven't been here in a few years now. You see I fell off the iron wagon. I became too "busy" with everyday life. I have been through ups and downs in the iron game, but have found myself at a real low point. Like so many others I'm sure, I have made excuses and found ways to ease my way out of hardcore lifting. Well, I am here to say, "I'M BACK". I am done making excuses...No more, "I'm too busy", or "I'm too tired", or "I just don't have any time." Most recently, it was "I can't, my back will flare up". You see, I have battled the pain of 2 herniated discs and degenerative disc disease for the past 4 years, and I am tired of letting it control me. What I've come to realize is that my working out had nothing to do with my back flaring up, because recently it has happened more than ever. So much so that I was in to see a neurosurgeon. Believe it or not, he told me to go back to working out. That nothing good comes from being sedentary.

So, here I am. 37 years young, weak as all hell, getting fat and old. I have decided that I am back, 100%. Now, I can't lift like I used to, but I can certainly get into the gym for an hour a day and bust my ass and move some weight. No more excuses.

At my best 10 years ago I was 6'-1, 225#, with decent abs. Benched 315 for reps, squatted 425, DL'd 475 for a couple...nothing earth shattering, but not bad for a guy who just liked to work out in his spare time. Well, I've been to the gym a couple times in the past couple days, and it wasn't pretty...Tried to bench 185, barely got 4 reps. Weak across the board...Still weigh about 215, but more fat than muscle now.

So here is my goal - get my ass to the gym minimum of 4 times per week. Move some decent weight and get back into fighting shape so I don't continue to head down the road of looking like an "old fat guy". I'm not aiming to compete in shows or powerlifting contests. Not looking for approval from anyone. Just looking to feel good again, mentally and physically. And so the journey begins, again.

DaGOAT
09-02-14, 5:43 am
Good luck pal