PDA

View Full Version : The Long Flight To Sydney

OakStrong
09-02-14, 2:25 pm
What's up everyone?

I'm a powerlifter and currently getting ready for GPA World Championships in Australia. Currently my training is all over the place but in the next week or so I'll be settling into a phase using Prilepin's Table in the 70 - 80% range as I enter my 12 week training cycle. Follow my journey and feel free to ask any questions.

afraziaaaa
09-02-14, 3:09 pm
I'll follow along. Best of luck.

J-Dawg
09-02-14, 3:27 pm
Welcome to the FORVM OakStrong! Looking forward to your journey to the Sydney meet.

mrdamo
09-02-14, 4:13 pm
Long trip for an event with some big names. All the best at the comp.

mrdamo
09-02-14, 4:20 pm
Forgot to mention, if you're need a powerlifting gym to train at while in Sydney, let me know and i'll post up details for you.

OakStrong
09-02-14, 6:22 pm
I'll follow along. Best of luck.

Thanks

OakStrong
09-02-14, 6:22 pm
Welcome to the FORVM OakStrong! Looking forward to your journey to the Sydney meet.

Thanks, I'm happy to be here with you guys

OakStrong
09-02-14, 6:23 pm
Forgot to mention, if you're need a powerlifting gym to train at while in Sydney, let me know and i'll post up details for you.

Thanks, I'll definitely be in touch about that.

OakStrong
09-04-14, 2:21 pm
I ended up going to the ABC event yesterday hosted by Dan Green & Garrett Griffin. I had a great time, the energy in the gym was great so I decided to get some pulls in with Larry Williams. I focused on working up to a heavy single and the workout ended with a 770 Lb pull, a new PR. My next phase of training will involve more volume with an emphasis on speed and recovery for the next month or so. I'm also working on getting my bodyweight up. Right now I'm sitting around 245 and I'm looking to get up to around 255.

afraziaaaa
09-05-14, 11:08 pm
I ended up going to the ABC event yesterday hosted by Dan Green & Garrett Griffin. I had a great time, the energy in the gym was great so I decided to get some pulls in with Larry Williams. I focused on working up to a heavy single and the workout ended with a 770 Lb pull, a new PR. My next phase of training will involve more volume with an emphasis on speed and recovery for the next month or so. I'm also working on getting my bodyweight up. Right now I'm sitting around 245 and I'm looking to get up to around 255.

Nice work. That bar you guys were using is waffled pretty bad, but it's the best one in the gym. Good luck with the bulk.

Shukin
09-06-14, 9:38 am
Congratulations Kevin, I notice you have a "the Pros" icon, so I'm guessing you are part of Animal now? Congrats

SquatPressPull
09-06-14, 10:09 am
Seriously? Are you an Animal now? Congrats brother! Been following you for quite sometime. About time some one picked you up!! So bad ass! For a bad ass lifter! Kill it brother!

OakStrong
09-06-14, 4:12 pm
Nice work. That bar you guys were using is waffled pretty bad, but it's the best one in the gym. Good luck with the bulk.

Thanks. Some guys were complaining about the bar, it was the same type of deadlift bar I train with and I didn't really notice anything wrong with it. I'm more sensitive to squat bars than deadlift bars though.

OakStrong
09-06-14, 4:13 pm
Congratulations Kevin, I notice you have a "the Pros" icon, so I'm guessing you are part of Animal now? Congrats

You guys are sharp, I don't know what I'm allowed to say or not say yet. So I won't confirm or deny that lol.

afraziaaaa
09-07-14, 9:39 am
Thanks. Some guys were complaining about the bar, it was the same type of deadlift bar I train with and I didn't really notice anything wrong with it. I'm more sensitive to squat bars than deadlift bars though.

It's hard to come by new equipment at Skiba's since Henri doesn't really run the place like a commercial gym to maximize profit. He keeps it hardcore because that's what he likes. He also has an okie bar that is bent worse than that texas bar you guys were using, lol. Really the only issue I find with it when I use it is that is has slightly more flex than something you'd use in a meet and the knurling is worn down a bit. No big deal though.

Universal Rep
09-08-14, 2:54 pm
You guys are sharp, I don't know what I'm allowed to say or not say yet. So I won't confirm or deny that lol.

Haha, its official now... Welcome brotha.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?43100-NEWS-New-Animal-Powerlifter-Kevin-quot-Oak-quot-Okolie&p=1386615#post1386615

naturalguy
09-08-14, 4:45 pm
Are you excited to go to Australia? Have you ever been there?

OakStrong
09-08-14, 11:28 pm
Haha, its official now... Welcome brotha.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?43100-NEWS-New-Animal-Powerlifter-Kevin-quot-Oak-quot-Okolie&p=1386615#post1386615

Lol thanks.

OakStrong
09-08-14, 11:29 pm
Are you excited to go to Australia? Have you ever been there?

I haven't been there so I'm excited but also nervous about possible variables to deal with.

David LaMartina
09-09-14, 8:44 pm
What weight class are you shooting for in Australia?

John Grey
09-10-14, 10:50 am
I haven't been there so I'm excited but also nervous about possible variables to deal with.

Been following you on Instagram for awhile now. Congrats with Animal and good luck in November man!

OakStrong
09-10-14, 12:00 pm
What weight class are you shooting for in Australia?

I'm planning on 242, but I might do the cut for 220. Not sure yet.

OakStrong
09-10-14, 12:01 pm
Been following you on Instagram for awhile now. Congrats with Animal and good luck in November man!

Thanks !!

Keosawa
09-16-14, 11:00 pm
Congrats on the Animal signing--they're lucky to have you! And this forum's collecting world-class 220s in a hurry.

OakStrong
09-17-14, 11:24 pm
Congrats on the Animal signing--they're lucky to have you! And this forum's collecting world-class 220s in a hurry.

Thanks, I'm happy to be with the strongest crew in powerlifting.

OakStrong
09-17-14, 11:31 pm
A little less than 2 weeks ago I suffered a hamstring strain squatting which forced me into a 2 week deload before I start my next training cycle. So last week for squats I worked up to 507 lbs x 8 on Zercher squats and this week I decided to do high bar squats for low reps up to a reasonable weight. I got a deep tissue massage yesterday so I was feeling a little looser today, my hamstring still feels a little weak but I wanted to out a legitimate amount of weight on my back. I ended up hitting 725 lbs high bar with no knee wraps which is a new PR and did it with a less than aggressive descent. So things are looking up, my strength feels pretty high. My bodyweight is right at 245 lbs and I'm looking to get to about 255 over the next 10 weeks. As far the GPA World Championships in Sydney as of now I plan to compete in the 242 no knee wraps division. if I can stay healthy and get my bodyweight up I see think I'm in for a respectable total.

Derek Kendall
09-18-14, 10:42 am
Congrats on the sponsorship. Your doing some things that many people in the world can not do. I watched your Z squats man thats crazy. My bicep wanted to tear watching you.

Derek Kendall
09-18-14, 10:44 am
A little less than 2 weeks ago I suffered a hamstring strain squatting which forced me into a 2 week deload before I start my next training cycle. So last week for squats I worked up to 507 lbs x 8 on Zercher squats and this week I decided to do high bar squats for low reps up to a reasonable weight. I got a deep tissue massage yesterday so I was feeling a little looser today, my hamstring still feels a little weak but I wanted to out a legitimate amount of weight on my back. I ended up hitting 725 lbs high bar with no knee wraps which is a new PR and did it with a less than aggressive descent. So things are looking up, my strength feels pretty high. My bodyweight is right at 245 lbs and I'm looking to get to about 255 over the next 10 weeks. As far the GPA World Championships in Sydney as of now I plan to compete in the 242 no knee wraps division. if I can stay healthy and get my bodyweight up I see think I'm in for a respectable total.

Thats cool man, no wraps is bad ass. I bet you could work up to the high 700s. You have tremendous explosion out of the whole. You gonna walk it out too?

OakStrong
09-18-14, 5:43 pm
Thats cool man, no wraps is bad ass. I bet you could work up to the high 700s. You have tremendous explosion out of the whole. You gonna walk it out too?

Thanks, the zerchers don't really put stress on your biceps like they seem not in a pulling way at least. Most of the stress goes into your shoulders and upper back. With the wrap less squats I hit 752 low bar a week before I hit 820 with wraps that was with SBD's on though and you're not allowed anything on your knees at world champs. I'm looking to hit 772 or somewhere in that area regardless. I'm not walking it out since I'm used to training with a mono. I'm sure at some point I'll do the wrap less day at RUM though and be forced to do it old school.

By the way I've probably seen you're latest animal underground over 100 times all of your squatting vids are impressive that was 1 hell of a squat workout. I can't wait to see what you do wrap less at your next comp.

OakStrong
09-19-14, 3:03 am
Here's some of the squats from yesterday's workout http://youtu.be/4QVlxz7E8NI

BJ Whitehead
09-19-14, 7:51 pm
Welcome to the family Oak!!! Very well deserved. Really look up to you and your training.

OakStrong
09-21-14, 1:35 pm
Welcome to the family Oak!!! Very well deserved. Really look up to you and your training.

Thanks, you're looking jacked in your pics lately man. Nice Beltless deaflifts at your last comp too.

BJ Whitehead
09-22-14, 8:24 am
Thanks!! I'm trying to get that OAK look. I've taken a lot of things from your training vids. Really like your work ethic and dedication.

OakStrong
09-22-14, 4:47 pm
Yesterday I started my 8 week prep for GPA World Powerlifting Championships. I started with deadlifts, it was kind've rough start because I'm coming off a hamstring strain but I haven't deadlifted in almost 3 weeks so it was time to start pulling again. I go more in detail about my current status and future in the video below.

http://youtu.be/VpG3geue11I

OakStrong
09-24-14, 5:02 am
I decided to work up to a heavy single since I hadn't in so long due to bicep tendinitis. My biceps finally feel back to normal so I decided to test the waters. Ended up hitting 2 new PR's !!

155 lbs
265 lbs
352 lbs
419 lbs
463 lbs
485 lbs
501 lbs
523 lbs PR
530 lbs PR

http://youtu.be/Oxxc04hZNuA

Derek Kendall
09-25-14, 1:15 pm
Thanks, the zerchers don't really put stress on your biceps like they seem not in a pulling way at least. Most of the stress goes into your shoulders and upper back. With the wrap less squats I hit 752 low bar a week before I hit 820 with wraps that was with SBD's on though and you're not allowed anything on your knees at world champs. I'm looking to hit 772 or somewhere in that area regardless. I'm not walking it out since I'm used to training with a mono. I'm sure at some point I'll do the wrap less day at RUM though and be forced to do it old school.

By the way I've probably seen you're latest animal underground over 100 times all of your squatting vids are impressive that was 1 hell of a squat workout. I can't wait to see what you do wrap less at your next comp.

Well im sure you gonna kill it. Yeah i got one more heavy squat workout this weekend. Im actually coming out to NY next month ill let you know when if you wanna meet up and train.

Jay Nera
09-25-14, 7:35 pm
I'm planning on 242, but I might do the cut for 220. Not sure yet.

I believe that that meet is a 4 hour weigh in?

Cutting weight and traveling can be difficult.
You'll bring some aggression to the bar either way no doubt.

Jay Nera
09-25-14, 7:38 pm
I decided to work up to a heavy single since I hadn't in so long due to bicep tendinitis. My biceps finally feel back to normal so I decided to test the waters. Ended up hitting 2 new PR's !!

155 lbs
265 lbs
352 lbs
419 lbs
463 lbs
485 lbs
501 lbs
523 lbs PR
530 lbs PR

http://youtu.be/Oxxc04hZNuA
Congrats on the big PR.
Your lifts have been moving very nicely. Can't wait to see that big total in GPA.

OakStrong
09-25-14, 11:41 pm
Well im sure you gonna kill it. Yeah i got one more heavy squat workout this weekend. Im actually coming out to NY next month ill let you know when if you wanna meet up and train.

We should definitely get a workout in, let me know when you're coming out.

OakStrong
09-25-14, 11:43 pm
Congrats on the big PR.
Your lifts have been moving very nicely. Can't wait to see that big total in GPA.

I think it's a 24 hour weigh in ill have to double check. If I can stay in 1 piece I'm expecting a nice total. When's your next comp RUM 8 or are you competing before then?

OakStrong
09-26-14, 10:44 am
Yesterday I did my first low bar squat training session of this cycle. My hamstring was feeling better and for the most part I was just hoping it would be strong enough to hit my numbers. When I do low bar sessions I usually plan to work up relatively heavy and save more of the volume for high bar days. During this session I worked up to 703 lbs x 3 a PR no knee wraps triple. Since low bar squats tend to cause a lot of issues in my shoulders as well as my arms I'm only planning to do 2 maybe 3 more sessions of it before my competition in November. Footage below:

http://youtu.be/k81AZFgjD3Y

OakStrong
09-28-14, 9:07 pm
This was what I call a fuck you day. This entire training cycle I've been having lower back, hamstring, and bicep problems which has forced me to constantly pull with a belt and straps. I hate pulling with straps because I just don't feel connected to the bar. And I hate continuously pulling with a belt every week sometimes it's just better to pull without assistance. So today I pulled Beltless and strapless and hit a new PR. It felt like I broke out of a straight jacket.

http://youtu.be/QOxM7kpYSAk

BJ Whitehead
09-28-14, 11:41 pm
That beltless dead looked good!! Your total should be huge at Worlds

OakStrong
09-29-14, 10:48 am
That beltless dead looked good!! Your total should be huge at Worlds

Yesterday was the first day nothing really bothered me so hopefully I can get some quality training in from now until the comp.

OakStrong
10-08-14, 3:04 pm
So at the moment training isn't bad just not as good as I'd like it to be mostly due to cramping issues. Right now my gut is telling me I should just get as big as i can and compete at walk around weight. So when I get off the plane in Sydney on Thursday I'll carb up until I compete on Sunday and just get as high a total as possible. After that I'll start dieting down for Raw Unity 8.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zg7nbxv2jge9m88/Photo%20Oct%2008%2C%202%2039%2005%20PM.png?dl=0

OakStrong
10-09-14, 10:24 pm
Bench Press:

Decided to work up to a heavy triple again after failing at 500 x 3 last week decided to attempt 490 x 3. After doing 475 x 4, a PR I was able to hit the 490 x 3. Both work out to an approximate 1rm of 535 lbs. I have been wrapping my elbows due to tendinitis in my right elbow so that does help a little but I've been wrapped my elbows the same way for a significant amount of my heavy sets during my last 2 training cycles and I was always able to hit my projected numbers in competition. I more than likely will attempt around 525 lbs at GPA World Champs if all goes well. Check out the training below:

http://youtu.be/TQ8e_SGxxI4

OakStrong
10-13-14, 8:49 pm
705 Lb Deadlift, fast off the floor with a shaky lockout.

http://youtu.be/IacpGWbxjdA
And with that comes an update. I'm withdrawing from World Championships due to a hamstring / glute injury. Approximately 2 months ago I had a hamstring strain when I pulled my current PR of 770 lbs. Afterwards I did a quick deload and got right back into training. It recovered to what felt like 95% very quickly but just hasn't gotten to 100% yet. The main issue is there's a lot of scar tissue and its knotted up to the point that I can't fully contract my right hamstring / glute specifically when im deadlifting. The majority of the time it's not really a factor because you're not truly doing a maximal pull. However this close to competition seemingly small injuries like this are enough to derail your peaking for a meet. Now I probably could continue to push training and could compete anyway and probably still hit a PR total but the risk at this point outweighs the return to me. So my plan at this point is to rehab my hamstring and build my training back up slowly and start off 2015 strong more than likely at the LA Fit Expo followed by the Raw Unity Meet. I already have some big numbers in my head.

OakStrong
10-21-14, 9:57 pm
Today was the first day of off season training before I start my prep for RUM 8. I started off with Beltless squats working up to 555 lbs x 10 followed by stiff leg deadlifts working up to 408 lbs x 12. My approach to this cycle is to start light with high reps working up to 1 top amrap set and just adding a little weight each week. Some of the footage is below:

http://youtu.be/ueXfZPWFvzA

BOSS
10-22-14, 9:40 am
705 Lb Deadlift, fast off the floor with a shaky lockout.

http://youtu.be/IacpGWbxjdA
And with that comes an update. I'm withdrawing from World Championships due to a hamstring / glute injury. Approximately 2 months ago I had a hamstring strain when I pulled my current PR of 770 lbs. Afterwards I did a quick deload and got right back into training. It recovered to what felt like 95% very quickly but just hasn't gotten to 100% yet. The main issue is there's a lot of scar tissue and its knotted up to the point that I can't fully contract my right hamstring / glute specifically when im deadlifting. The majority of the time it's not really a factor because you're not truly doing a maximal pull. However this close to competition seemingly small injuries like this are enough to derail your peaking for a meet. Now I probably could continue to push training and could compete anyway and probably still hit a PR total but the risk at this point outweighs the return to me. So my plan at this point is to rehab my hamstring and build my training back up slowly and start off 2015 strong more than likely at the LA Fit Expo followed by the Raw Unity Meet. I already have some big numbers in my head.

Damn didn't realize the hammy was factoring in so much after seeing you at the spot in Jersey hitting PRs! Squats were really looking huge then. Hopefully we'll get to lift at RUM then!

OakStrong
10-23-14, 9:16 am
Damn didn't realize the hammy was factoring in so much after seeing you at the spot in Jersey hitting PRs! Squats were really looking huge then. Hopefully we'll get to lift at RUM then!

The last deadlift that day is when I strained it. It's mostly recovered I just don't have that full range of motion yet and can't completely contract my hamstring / glute. It hasn't affected my squat that much but it really shows on deadlifts I've had this awkward soft lockout thing going on to compensate for it. I'll be fine be more than fine by RUM though. There should be some big numbers at that meet. Good luck at GPA Worlds !

OakStrong
10-31-14, 12:14 am
At this point I'm alternating weeks between heavy squatting and heavy deadlifting. Monday was a deadlift day. I started with sumo block pulls working up to what should've been 573 lbs x 10 but I miscounted. In the off season I like to focus on sumo to increase my glute and hip strength, then I switch back to conventional once meet prep officially starts. After sumo block pulls I did stiff leg deadlifts a mainstay right now to work on hamstring, glute and lower back strength. My right hamstring / glute at this point feels like I can fully contract tgem my hamstring just feels a little weak I'm expecting the strength to come back pretty quick though. Check out the footage below:

http://youtu.be/_mVsVFByRhg

OakStrong
10-31-14, 12:21 am
Today I met up with the Universal crew at Bev Francis Powerhouse Gym as part of their Universal Road Trip. I wasn't feeling the greatest so I did some light bench working up to 415 x 3 followed by standing dumbbell shoulder press, a couple of other shoulder exercises and a couple of sets of dumbbell curls. I've been going heavy on biceps because I had nagging tendinitis in right bicep / forearm my last training cycle and I just want to keep them as strong and healthy as possible.

http://youtu.be/wn_6CN2oRwI

BJ Whitehead
10-31-14, 11:40 pm
Training us as impressive as always Oak!!

OakStrong
11-03-14, 3:46 pm
Today I met up with the Universal crew at Bev Francis Powerhouse Gym as part of their Universal Road Trip. I wasn't feeling the greatest so I did some light bench working up to 415 x 3 followed by standing dumbbell shoulder press, a couple of other shoulder exercises and a couple of sets of dumbbell curls. I've been going heavy on biceps because I had nagging tendinitis in right bicep / forearm my last training cycle and I just want to keep them as strong and healthy as possible.

http://youtu.be/wn_6CN2oRwI

Training us as impressive as always Oak!!

Thanks big guy

OakStrong
11-05-14, 8:32 am
Today's plan for squats was to work up to 580 lbs for max reps (around 10). However I was having lower back issues and problems with bar placement so I decided to work up a little heavier for less reps. I ended up with a top set of 664 lbs x 4 Beltless, a new PR. The weight felt fine I just couldn't descend as fast as I would've liked because the bar was rolling around on me. For bench press I worked up to a top set of 408 lbs x 11. I did half reps to focus on speed / explosiveness off the chest. The weight felt fine, I think the 11 reps was a PR for around that weight.

http://youtu.be/3Nm2OxMnVi0