PDA

View Full Version : Injured my lower back...again!

Fab
09-12-14, 3:35 pm
Hey there

Today i was doing legs on the machine hack squat when i felt a sharp pain on my lower back. It was the 3 time this happened to me in the past 6 months.

The first one i was doing romanian deadlifts and stop doing this exercise to see if this could go away. Then the same happened again doing deadlifts two months ago and stop doing this lift until now.

I will go to the doctor next week. Hopefully it is not an herniated disc or something because being out of the gym is depressing.

This weekend is to rest and to see exercise videos to check form. I may be doing some exercise wrong. Strange that i had my back stucked to the machine pad.

Jay Nera
10-30-14, 8:57 pm
Hey there

Today i was doing legs on the machine hack squat when i felt a sharp pain on my lower back. It was the 3 time this happened to me in the past 6 months.

The first one i was doing romanian deadlifts and stop doing this exercise to see if this could go away. Then the same happened again doing deadlifts two months ago and stop doing this lift until now.

I will go to the doctor next week. Hopefully it is not an herniated disc or something because being out of the gym is depressing.

This weekend is to rest and to see exercise videos to check form. I may be doing some exercise wrong. Strange that i had my back stucked to the machine pad.

It might not be the exercises but how you are performing them. Are you maintaining a neutral spine? or are you letting your pelivs rotate under you. THis is a big cause of many low back issues.

BOSS
10-30-14, 9:55 pm
Keeping a neutral spine is key to all lower body lifts. Breathe in and keep your abs braced as though you're about to be punched in the stomach and this should help stabilize the spine. Breathe into your belly not your chest. This is key but will take some learning. You can practice the breathing by lying on your back and putting a weight on your stomach like 10 lbs. Use your stomach to breathe... The weight should move with the breathing.
Secondly, you'll need to make sure your hamstrings aren't really tight and pulling your hips out of place if you are bending as in a RDL or squat.
Lastly, if you have access to a reverse hyper, doing 3x15 with no weight on it will give you a nice relief in your back. Works like magic

Pale Rider
10-31-14, 8:25 pm
I find with hack squat if I don't keep my back push against the pad it can put it in a bad spot