PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Strength leg extension

mnmvilla2002
09-23-14, 8:26 pm
Ok got a HS leg ext at the base gym. Like to use it after front or back squats. Question is it has a place for plates on the inner side and outter side of the extension part. Should I be dividing the weight up or switch location of the weights between sets?

Rex
09-25-14, 10:21 am
Ok got a HS leg ext at the base gym. Like to use it after front or back squats. Question is it has a place for plates on the inner side and outter side of the extension part. Should I be dividing the weight up or switch location of the weights between sets?

Does switching the plates alter the stress on your quads?

Jay Nera
09-25-14, 7:25 pm
Does switching the plates alter the stress on your quads?

I was thinking the same thing. I don't really see how it could make a difference.

mnmvilla2002
09-27-14, 8:13 am
Wish i could post a pic of the machine. I guess I will just move the plates around and see how it feels.

Rex
09-27-14, 6:30 pm
Wish i could post a pic of the machine. I guess I will just move the plates around and see how it feels.

Thatīs exactly what I was asking?

Can you feel a difference?

mnmvilla2002
09-29-14, 2:16 pm
somewhat of a difference. So i will just keep trying and see how i feel.

Rex
09-29-14, 6:18 pm
somewhat of a difference. So i will just keep trying and see how i feel.

I once visited a Goldīs Gym in Palm Dessert, NV where they had STRIVE machines. They all have 3 options for putting the weight on. One overloads the stretch, one the mid range and one the top contraction of the movement. I loved training on that equipment

Sprint
09-29-14, 6:39 pm

My gym has the exact same equipment, I tend to use the inner arm for the plates because it's easier & quicker to reach down & pull one off for drop sets.

Rex
09-30-14, 6:22 pm
My gym has the exact same equipment, I tend to use the inner arm for the plates because it's easier & quicker to reach down & pull one off for drop sets.

But do you also feel a difference in stress on the quads with this placement versus the other one?

Sprint
09-30-14, 6:46 pm
But do you also feel a difference in stress on the quads with this placement versus the other one?

No, certainly not anything noticeable. The angles that I point
my feet makes a difference though. Straight out hits my lower quads around the knee more, whereas pointing them up, so the foot is 90 degrees to the ankle, seems to hit the upper quads more, right in the belly of the rectus femoris.

Rex
10-02-14, 10:27 am
No, certainly not anything noticeable. The angles that I point
my feet makes a difference though. Straight out hits my lower quads around the knee more, whereas pointing them up, so the foot is 90 degrees to the ankle, seems to hit the upper quads more, right in the belly of the rectus femoris.

So maybe Hammer Strength just bolted 2 arms to the machine so that it can hold more weight...

Right. Foot placementdoes change the stress on the quads. So does position of the torso. Give it a try

Sprint
10-02-14, 1:16 pm
So maybe Hammer Strength just bolted 2 arms to the machine so that it can hold more weight...

Right. Foot placementdoes change the stress on the quads. So does position of the torso. Give it a try

That's what I figured, everything is bolted together so tightly that using different arms to hold the plates doesn't change the angle of tension. It just provides more room for when the likes of G gets going on it & there's not enough room for all the weights he uses.

MR.TeachFreak
10-02-14, 1:25 pm
For the HS Leg Extension machine plates on the outside or inside don't really affect much. Its really a space thing to add more weights. What really matters is where the plates are in location to the pivot point (your knee). The closer the plates are to the pivot point the easier it is because it dramatically shortens the range of motion for the weight. The further the weights are from the pivot point the more they have to travel and harder it is even with less weight then usual. Its more about the travel path of the weights when you use a machine with a pivot point.