PDA

View Full Version : 24 hr Nutrition

Orthodox
09-25-14, 9:51 am
I started doing this a while back, after reading one of Machines, animalpak articles. It involves feeding your body with continual nutrients, 24hrs a day, right around the clock. It will require a person to wake up every 2-3hrs, and quickly throw back some whey protein. No carbs, so there is the reduced risk of bodyfat. I just make up a cuple of shakes, put them besides my bed. I dont even need to open my eyes now, i just instinctively reach for one, every time my alarm goes off. This concept of 24hr Nutrition has its pro's and con's, I guess. Pro's, would be that you will never be in a catabolic state and probably always stay in a positive nitrogen balance. One of the Con's would be, interupted sleep etc, not just for you but for your lady friend also! Lol

Na seriously, This concept helped me greatly.

Rex
09-25-14, 10:19 am
I started doing this a while back, after reading one of Machines, animalpak articles. It involves feeding your body with continual nutrients, 24hrs a day, right around the clock. It will require a person to wake up every 2-3hrs, and quickly throw back some whey protein. No carbs, so there is the reduced risk of bodyfat. I just make up a cuple of shakes, put them besides my bed. I dont even need to open my eyes now, i just instinctively reach for one, every time my alarm goes off. This concept of 24hr Nutrition has its pro's and con's, I guess. Pro's, would be that you will never be in a catabolic state and probably always stay in a positive nitrogen balance. One of the Con's would be, interupted sleep etc, not just for you but for your lady friend also! Lol

Na seriously, This concept helped me greatly.

I´ve done something similar for a long time. But since I only sleep 6 hours a night anyway right now, I stopped the doing the meal during the night...

Orthodox
09-25-14, 10:44 am
I´ve done something similar for a long time. But since I only sleep 6 hours a night anyway right now, I stopped the doing the meal during the night...

Yeah I hear you Rex. That's the prob with this concept, 'interupted sleep'. Your sceduals prob, pretty hectic at the mo, so your prob be better banking that sleep.

Derek Kendall
09-25-14, 1:13 pm
Yeah i have heard both sides pro and con. I think it depends on how well you sleep and how quickly you can fall back asleep. Thats why casein is another nice choice to have as well.

Swolepez
09-25-14, 6:25 pm
I think sleep/recovery is too important to break up every 3hrs....food is the most important but I believe that sleep, food, training and supps should all have 100% effort.

Rex
09-26-14, 6:12 pm
Yeah I hear you Rex. That's the prob with this concept, 'interupted sleep'. Your sceduals prob, pretty hectic at the mo, so your prob be better banking that sleep.

If I woke myself up in the middle of the night to eat, my recuperation would go down the pipe...

Apart from that, I feel that giving my digestive system a chance to rest and recover, helps me keep up my apetite day after day.

hkusp45
03-19-15, 5:44 pm
I heard a lot of bad things about doing that type of a diet. That the extra protein and nutrients doesn't justify the interrupted sleep. It doesn't matter if you wake up for 3 seconds to chug the bottle down, your REM state is f*cked. Also, depending on how much you drink down, there's a good chance you will wake up to take a piss.... there's another interruption.

Rex
03-21-15, 11:29 am
I guess the best way would be having a shake ready and drinking it when you are waking up to take a piss anyway.
Not setting the alarm clock to any other times.

That way your current sleep pattern won´t be compromised.

Machine
03-21-15, 1:08 pm
I'm pleased to see people with knowledge and experience bouncing ideas off each other relative to this subject. Good insights to get people re-examining not just where they want their careers/physiques to go, but questioning continually the daily tools which they employ to get to benchmarks. And that's really what that article was for me; it was a way to spit venom back at the popular convention that told aspiring athletes they needed 14 hours of sleep a day or "don't bother training." I wonder if the Mongols, or the Romans, or Big Red 1 attacked only when they had the benefit of 10-12 hours of sleep the night previous???

Many athletes are working people; they cannot afford to sleep 10 hours per night and then take a 2-3 hour nap before they train. Every time I heard one of these pampered little shits say that I wanted to choke the shit out of them.

NEED is a very precarious word...it's a lot like the word HEAVY...and BIG, in that it means different things to different people at different times. Keep thinking for yourselves, keep throwing off the chains of popular fancy, and if you feel 100% confident in your approach - you're overconfident.

The mindset of the conquered creeps in very slowly over time, it's like broken glass...you get cut before you see it.

MACHINE

MR. C
03-23-15, 8:32 pm
Interesting theory and method. I would just be concerned about not getting enough sleep. My body needs sleep to repair itself.

skibasgym
03-29-15, 9:31 pm
In theory the 24-hour nutrition concept is right on point. However, I personally feel that lack of proper sleep is one of the most detrimental things an athlete can do to their training. Proper sleep is necessary for mental and physical rejuvenation.

ironbound
04-07-15, 3:34 pm
After reading this, I'm now downing an isolate shake at night if/when I get up to piss. As others have mentioned, sleep is too important, and setting an alarm for every 2-3 hours sounds extremely detrimental to any athlete (or even sedentary person, for that matter).

MELTDOWN
04-07-15, 3:49 pm
Personally, I cherish sleep when I get it.
Up daily around 4.30am and not on the pillow until about 22.30pm.
Sleep is typically solid, but if I do stir from my slumber, I'm up, wide awake and can't shut the system back down.
At that point I do grab a shake, until gym time, and start it all over again.

Machine
04-07-15, 4:30 pm
Personally, I cherish sleep when I get it.
Up daily around 4.30am and not on the pillow until about 22.30pm.
Sleep is typically solid, but if I do stir from my slumber, I'm up, wide awake and can't shut the system back down.
At that point I do grab a shake, until gym time, and start it all over again.

Context is everything; I sometimes function in environments that do not allow for uninterrupted sleep; my response to that is to feed the body continually as a way to combat the negative effects of that environment. Knowing that nothing can take the place of sleep, but also knowing that any S-O-B who tells me I can't do something is going to find out differently. When do optimal training circumstances prevail continually for any of us?

I choose to fight back, and always mentally be on the offensive.

MACHINE

G Diesel
04-07-15, 5:28 pm
Prolonged stretches of uninterrupted sleep are luxuries few can afford. What Machine discusses here are practical means of adapting under the less than ideal conditions in which many of us must operate.

Besides, sleep is for old, rich dudes who've already achieved their dreams, right?

Peace, G

HEAVYD
04-19-15, 12:12 am
back in the day i would make a protein shake and when i would wake up in the night to pie slam it back. but never would i interrupt my sleep or set a alarm clock to wake up. i think sleep is very important. if i can be a on restricted low calorie diet sleep 7 hours wake up and do fasted cardio when I'm dieting and not burn muscle tissue I'm pretty sure in the offseason when my calories are very high its not necessary to have a meal during the night.

Rex
04-19-15, 10:36 am
back in the day i would make a protein shake and when i would wake up in the night to pie slam it back. but never would i interrupt my sleep or set a alarm clock to wake up. i think sleep is very important. if i can be a on restricted low calorie diet sleep 7 hours wake up and do fasted cardio when I'm dieting and not burn muscle tissue I'm pretty sure in the offseason when my calories are very high its not necessary to have a meal during the night.

I get a maximum of 6 hours of sleep per night.
I actually used to set my alarm to go off at the 3 hour mark and ate a whole food meal of 80-100 carbs and 60 protein.
The interruption of my sleep caused me to be dead tired all day and my performance in the gym sucked.

So I stopped doing this but spread the macros of the lost meal evenly to the 7 I have throughout daytime. I feel better, recover faster and I also find that giving my digestive system a break during the night makes it easier to eat the next day.

Ergo, no "intra-night-nutrition" for me...

(Damn it... I might have just created a new supplement category...)

HEAVYD
04-19-15, 10:00 pm
I actually used to set my alarm to go off at the 3 hour mark and ate a whole food meal of 80-100 carbs and 60 protein.
The interruption of my sleep caused me to be dead tired all day and my performance in the gym sucked.

So I stopped doing this but spread the macros of the lost meal evenly to the 7 I have throughout daytime. I feel better, recover faster and I also find that giving my digestive system a break during the night makes it easier to eat the next day.

i agree 100%.

skibasgym
04-23-15, 4:34 pm

I'm with you on this one! I need my sleep.