PDA

View Full Version : Lost and unmotivated!

GUNZ
10-13-14, 10:40 am
Im 13 days out from PL meet and for the first time in 5 years I feel somewhat lost and unmotivated. Iv been working at my job for 10 years and everyone around me is getting fired or layed off, evident to me that im in a ship thats slowly sinking! I show up at work each day not knowing if this we be my last or if Ill make it another day. I drive home from work to pick up my son from school thinking to myself he is the single most important thing in my life and if I lose my job ill do whatever it takes for him. Going to the gym on my days I don't have my son to release stress and anger on the Iron, but I catch myself thinking what for? or why? why am I here. We all go through ups and downs in life and I just hope I can get out this hole and back to feeling normal again in everyday life, with family as my number 1 prority.

J Wong
10-13-14, 11:02 am
Sorry to hear that man...but unfortunately as we all know shit happens. I'm 100% sure you will get through this phase/rut in time. That takes mental toughness and it's clear that you possess that to get where you are at now. You know your priorities and you have them straight. I'm sure the issue with the job is putting some major stress on you and rightfully so. I hope everything works out with that and I am sure you are trying to put together a back up plan. It seems that you have the support of people around you (based on the CAP documentary) and everyone in the lifting community.

Bean
10-13-14, 12:27 pm
Just know that you are an inspiration to more than just your family and friends....but to the thousands of people that watch you and the other animal athletes. You guys inspire us through your blue collar approach to health living and being the best we can be. many of us had lost our path and motivations but have found that path again through your words and your peer's words. I bust my ass working 70 hours a week to just make it so I understand the stress work can place on an individual but it sounds to me like you are a true man which takes care of his family and would do anything for your family. That right there cant be bought and people with those traits always make it. I don't know you personally but I have the confidence that you will be fine. You have fought and struggled to get to were you are at today and I know nothing will hold you back from where you need or want to go. Good luck and know you have the Animal nation behind you.

G Diesel
10-13-14, 1:36 pm
This is an awesome post, man. Something I'm sure everyone can relate to in some way. I sure as hell can.

I was just talking about this feeling. That there are days when we're kind of limping along, often unbeknownst to others at work or the gym or wherever, carrying stress or pain that we don't share. Pushing forward as if everything is normal or OK. We feel lost or like we're falling apart. But we grow strong from holding it together.

At my lowest points, I've focused on the things that have always been there--my family, my dreams, the gym. I invested in myself. And eventually, things slowly got better.

You have to put faith in yourself to do whatever it takes if need be. But preparing for the worst, hoping for the best and focusing on all of the things that are good in your life will get you through. And you will come out the other end a better man for it. Remember all of the people looking to you for inspiration and to lead the way. Your strength through adversity will give them hope.

Peace, G

GUNZ
10-13-14, 1:54 pm
Sorry to hear that man...but unfortunately as we all know shit happens. I'm 100% sure you will get through this phase/rut in time. That takes mental toughness and it's clear that you possess that to get where you are at now. You know your priorities and you have them straight. I'm sure the issue with the job is putting some major stress on you and rightfully so. I hope everything works out with that and I am sure you are trying to put together a back up plan. It seems that you have the support of people around you (based on the CAP documentary) and everyone in the lifting community.

Thanks man apprieciate it! Sure ill get through this.

Just know that you are an inspiration to more than just your family and friends....but to the thousands of people that watch you and the other animal athletes. You guys inspire us through your blue collar approach to health living and being the best we can be. many of us had lost our path and motivations but have found that path again through your words and your peer's words. I bust my ass working 70 hours a week to just make it so I understand the stress work can place on an individual but it sounds to me like you are a true man which takes care of his family and would do anything for your family. That right there cant be bought and people with those traits always make it. I don't know you personally but I have the confidence that you will be fine. You have fought and struggled to get to were you are at today and I know nothing will hold you back from where you need or want to go. Good luck and know you have the Animal nation behind you.

Great words man, and yes we all have struggeles its what makes us who we are! THanks for the support.

This is an awesome post, man. Something I'm sure everyone can relate to in some way. I sure as hell can.

I was just talking about this feeling. That there are days when we're kind of limping along, often unbeknownst to others at work or the gym or wherever, carrying stress or pain that we don't share. Pushing forward as if everything is normal or OK. We feel lost or like we're falling apart. But we grow strong from holding it together.

At my lowest points, I've focused on the things that have always been there--my family, my dreams, the gym. I invested in myself. And eventually, things slowly got better.

You have to put faith in yourself to do whatever it takes if need be. But preparing for the worst, hoping for the best and focusing on all of the things that are good in your life will get you through. And you will come out the other end a better man for it. Remember all of the people looking to you for inspiration and to lead the way. Your strength through adversity will give them hope.

Peace, G

Always great to hear words from you G! Its funny I came here to express my feelings trying to hold all the stresses inside at home and keep it together for the family, not wanting them to think Im lost or worried. I know ill get through all this and become stronger from it, its just another bump in the road of life. Thanks brother!

deanna7272
10-13-14, 2:40 pm
We all get to a point where stress from unforeseen circumstances hits us and/or looms over our heads. If you dwell on the circumstances that you can't change, then you are helping dig the hole. With every instance that you let it dictate your choices, it's like another shovel full coming down on top of you. If you can see, the more we dig, the more we bury ourselves. Your little one (family in general) should be your main concern, but walking away from your normal life only adds to the burden of "what do I do next?"

Keep your head up, and as the old adage goes, this too shall pass... You will be surprised at the end of it all, your perseverance will bring you through it all. Get those feelers out there for work, just because, ya never know... Keep your training on point, that keeps ya "sane" and make sure you surround yourself with positive people. As much as we would like to ignore the fact, the people we surround ourselves with can make or break our outlook on things, sometimes without warning.

I hope things get back to good soon... You're a force to be reckoned with, do your thing and it will all work out. Sending positive thoughts your way...

Dman
10-13-14, 3:57 pm
Hey Garrett I'm sorry to hear this news. Life throws us curve balls we weren't expecting, I've been there lately still pushing through. I know all that strength built up in training has helped to build you & us all Strong(ER) so when tough times come unexpectedly we can be resilient & build back stronger than before. I have a feeling much better things will come your way job wise and I know you will find the fire to rise again brother sending you strength & love.

RomeyGBOD
10-13-14, 9:45 pm
Read these GUNZ..
Isaiah 41:13
Psalm 23:4

Cellardweller
10-13-14, 10:10 pm

Peace, G

This is so real. I'm really feeling the crush piling up and it's chin up at work and in public, head down in the gym and grind away.

Deanna hit the nail on the head. Don't focus on the things you can't control. That places you in a reactionary position. You will only react to which way the wind blows and thats only negative thinking. If you focus on what you can control, then thats a strong, positive stance to take. If you quit the gym and loose your job then your son only sees a man who threw in the towel. If you succeed in the gym dispite the odds and loose your job but find maybe even a better one because you prepared, then you son has a dad who can't be stopped. You wouldn't walk into the gym unprepared without a plan or walk up to the bench asking yourself "what if I fail?" so why walk around life without a plan? Be strong. Think strong thoughts.

Swolepez
10-13-14, 10:30 pm
I've been going through this a lot lately....I've actually been slightly depressed, on and off for the past few months....sometimes we don't see the light at the end of the tunnel but I know it's there somewhere and I rather take one step closer than one step back.... That's the whole part of the "Journey"....not about where you started or even how you finish.....it's about the "Journey", all the trials and tribulations you have to overcome in life make you who you are....while we are enduring our trials and suffering is when we truly discover who we are as people..

GUNZ
10-13-14, 10:51 pm
Thanks for all theostive feedback guys and gals! I know I'll make it out this rut and keeping pushing forward. I left chiropractor today with some bad news, said the pain in left elbow is cause of slight tear-strain! He worked it out shit almost put me in tears, and despite him saying I should rest for 3-4 days I went to gym and bench, paused 490. I'll rest next week before the meet! No matter the outcome of this meet the bumps in the road is what's pushing me to prove I can overcome it all. Thanks again

HIGA MONSTER
10-14-14, 9:40 am
Thanks for all theostive feedback guys and gals! I know I'll make it out this rut and keeping pushing forward. I left chiropractor today with some bad news, said the pain in left elbow is cause of slight tear-strain! He worked it out shit almost put me in tears, and despite him saying I should rest for 3-4 days I went to gym and bench, paused 490. I'll rest next week before the meet! No matter the outcome of this meet the bumps in the road is what's pushing me to prove I can overcome it all. Thanks again
Keep your head up Homie. This will be another obstacle you will overcome.

HIGA

P Diesel
10-14-14, 11:51 am
brother, u know me. and we've talked about these things more times over the past few years than i can count im sure. the weights have refocused me or saved my life, pulled me out of the fire, given me a fighting chance many times. and as many times as ive tried to turn my back on them ive been unable to.

there have been times, actually one very recently where ive searched my heart. decided that it was time to put all of this behind me and start my life for real. to stop disappointing my family and be the person i was expected to be. to stop strguggling and ripping myself apart and put to rest this tired dream.

i know u, ur greatness has nothing to do with how much u can lift. but the aspects of ur greatness are illustrated in ur lifting. dedication and loyalty and determination, passion. these are the things that will take u through life, the things that make u good to the kids and Regina. fuck the hype, the internet, the ppl that are 'inspired' by a change in the damn weather. ur already great homey, and for a lot more than ur athletic achievements. Do it on ur terms, for the ppl who depend on u and for no one else.

As far as work goes, I know the stress and that sick feeling that goes along w it. And that's life man. My mom ways told me, 'ur character is measured by how u react when faced w adversity. Not just one thing, but many things. Insurmountable things.'

P

G Diesel
10-14-14, 12:38 pm
brother, u know me. and we've talked about these things more times over the past few years than i can count im sure. the weights have refocused me or saved my life, pulled me out of the fire, given me a fighting chance many times. and as many times as ive tried to turn my back on them ive been unable to.

there have been times, actually one very recently where ive searched my heart. decided that it was time to put all of this behind me and start my life for real. to stop disappointing my family and be the person i was expected to be. to stop strguggling and ripping myself apart and put to rest this tired dream.

i know u, ur greatness has nothing to do with how much u can lift. but the aspects of ur greatness are illustrated in ur lifting. dedication and loyalty and determination, passion. these are the things that will take u through life, the things that make u good to the kids and Regina. fuck the hype, the internet, the ppl that are 'inspired' by a change in the damn weather. ur already great homey, and for a lot more than ur athletic achievements. Do it on ur terms, for the ppl who depend on u and for no one else.

As far as work goes, I know the stress and that sick feeling that goes along w it. And that's life man. My mom ways told me, 'ur character is measured by how u react when faced w adversity. Not just one thing, but many things. Insurmountable things.'

P

Great post. Thanks for this.

Peace, G

GunRock
10-15-14, 9:34 am
Gunz, I don't know you except for a few words we exchanged at the Cage this past March, but I've followed your ups and downs and as a former single dad, I can really relate to your struggles. I remember crying in the dark in boot camp because I missed my then 3 year old son so much and I was about to face swim qual and couldn't swim a lick (still can't really). I was so afraid that I would fail him.

Right now, all I can tell you is what I know you'd tell me. I've heard that prior to a competition, Michael Phelps's coach would screw with his head on purpose, do stuff to make things go wrong so that on competition day he could relax knowing that all he had to do was swim. Because swords are only forged through fire and violent hammering.

I can't say more than others have said and I don't want to come across as preachy. I just feel grateful to be a part of a family of Iron that cares enough about each other to take time to bear each other's burdens.

I'm praying for you, that you'll stand and triumph. That God will preserve your job unless He gives you something better. That you will continue to be the kind of father that you are for your son. Thanks for being strong enough to share your pain.

The strength of the wolf is the pack.

GUNZ
10-15-14, 10:13 am
Keep your head up Homie. This will be another obstacle you will overcome.

HIGA

No doubt man, I'll come out on top!

P

P man these words hit home brother!! All so true and some of same exact struggles I go through. I hit a time of weakness, I guess I'm human after all. Lol. Then I get slammed Monday when I go see chiropractor cause past 3 weeks my elbows hurt so bad and I just suck it up each workout. Found out I have strain in lower tricept, I had fluid build up and a serious knot he rubbed out. With all the BS I know I'll come out on top and push through, for the first time I wanted to back out this meet, but I woke up this morning and said fuck it! I'll see how I can push through at this shitty time. Thanks again brother!!

Gunz, I don't know you except for a few words we exchanged at the Cage this past March, but I've followed your ups and downs and as a former single dad, I can really relate to your struggles. I remember crying in the dark in boot camp because I missed my then 3 year old son so much and I was about to face swim qual and couldn't swim a lick (still can't really). I was so afraid that I would fail him.

Right now, all I can tell you is what I know you'd tell me. I've heard that prior to a competition, Michael Phelps's coach would screw with his head on purpose, do stuff to make things go wrong so that on competition day he could relax knowing that all he had to do was swim. Because swords are only forged through fire and violent hammering.

I can't say more than others have said and I don't want to come across as preachy. I just feel grateful to be a part of a family of Iron that cares enough about each other to take time to bear each other's burdens.

I'm praying for you, that you'll stand and triumph. That God will preserve your job unless He gives you something better. That you will continue to be the kind of father that you are for your son. Thanks for being strong enough to share your pain.

The strength of the wolf is the pack.

Thanks for this, I appreciate this a lot man!

death
10-17-14, 7:32 am
Im 13 days out from PL meet and for the first time in 5 years I feel somewhat lost and unmotivated. Iv been working at my job for 10 years and everyone around me is getting fired or layed off, evident to me that im in a ship thats slowly sinking! I show up at work each day not knowing if this we be my last or if Ill make it another day. I drive home from work to pick up my son from school thinking to myself he is the single most important thing in my life and if I lose my job ill do whatever it takes for him. Going to the gym on my days I don't have my son to release stress and anger on the Iron, but I catch myself thinking what for? or why? why am I here. We all go through ups and downs in life and I just hope I can get out this hole and back to feeling normal again in everyday life, with family as my number 1 prority.

Gunz,

I have an advice for you. It worked for me in the professional sense. I'm talking strictly about work now. Start your own business. I worked in a big corporation and it instilled really bad feelings. Since I started my own thing I'm much more motivated to work and (believe it or not) have more time for my fam and friends. Besides that, working for yourself is always better thatn for someone else. My uncle always said that "you will not earn good money from your own labour' (rough transaltion from Polish). Do it man!