PDA

View Full Version : My Journey: NPC Natural Ohio: the diet, the training, the prep

jcf
10-13-14, 5:42 pm
Hey Animal Family,

This is my journey to the 2015 NPC Natural Ohio. I will be logging everything from diet to training to everyday thoughts and theories to keep me on track this season. I decided to do this here with hope that I can get opinions and insight from any of my fellow animals who wish to follow and that through my journey I'm able to help others here with theirs.
A little background before we begin:

I am 21 years old and have been a part of this iron world we're all a part of since the day I turned 12. My Dad has been lifting ever since his army days and as I'd spend evenings sitting on the concrete floor of our basement watching him lift, moving weight that at the time I couldn't even fathom moving, I fell in love with the process. My Dad showed me how to do my basic bodyweight movement and told me when I turned 12 I could start using the weights we had and he'd show me how to lift. So every day up till then I did my push ups, sit ups, and pull ups in anticipation for that day. Let me tell you the simple knowledge, the small crash course on iron, and the privilege to use the simple equipment we had in the basement was the by far the greatest present I've ever gotten. I couldn't even tell you what I actually got for my 12th birthday because in comparison to that it didn't even matter.

Lets jump ahead now to 2014. This was the first year I decided to compete. I did my research and found that the NPC Natural Ohio was the biggest show in my area. My philosophy is to go big or go home, when I qualify for nationals I don't want it to be through some small town show through some unheard of organization, I want to qualify with the top competitors of my current division. If you want to be the best you have to beat the best right? So I dialed in, read countless articles, watched copious amounts of posing videos on youtube and made myself a diet and workout plan with the knowledge I had. I took seventh in the spring show and decided to compete again in the fall. I made myself an offseason diet, staying lean, and made some changes to my first pre-contest diet this time around. I had more knowledge and the experience under my belt this time and came in 6th this time. That show was last week, October 4th. I was in the light heavyweight division, but both this competition and last I weighed in at the bottom of my class weighing 190 in the spring and 193 in the fall. Seeing that I am 6'2" and tower above most people in my class, this was my major downfall. I realize that no matter how well conditioned I come in I just don't have the mass on my frame to win so this time around I am taking a year off and gaining some size. This is my log of that journey through all the dieting, workouts and preparation I do for fall 2015. I aim to put on 40lbs relatively cleanly in the next 8 months which will still leave me with 16 weeks to dial it in in time for the show. I've never been over 220 in my life so I will be aiming to break that, assess my progress and continue with an end goal of 240 before cutting back down. I hope that some of you will follow me on my journey and that this log can help to motivate my brothers in their goals and aspirations as well.

But enough about the past, lets start building the future,
Its growing season!

jcf
10-13-14, 5:44 pm
In my first entry here Id like to break down my new meal plan and training split for you guys. I’ve never put together a meal plan with the intent to gain weight and I have completely changed my training split from what it was pre-contest so I am excited to see what progress I am able to make. First off I didn’t want to jump right into a diet with such a large influx of calories post contest so after enjoying an epic cheat meal the night of the contest I just continued to follow my pre-contest diet for this past week, slowly increasing the calories each day as to ease my body into this new plan.

The meal plan:
I decided to implicate carb cycling into this plan as to lessen the amount of unnecessary fat gain. So the basic idea behind the cycling is that I eat for what I did that day, meaning once I had figured out the basic macronutrient split and caloric intake for my base days I then added a 20% increase in carbs to my heavy training days and a decreased the carbs by 20% on my off days.
To find my daily caloric intake I calculated my BMR and multiplied it by 1.6 to account for my activity level. This gave me a baseline amount of calories id need to take in to maintain my bodyweight. I then increased this number by 10% to get the caloric intake of this plan. I will stay with the 10% increase for the next two weeks and assess where I am at, if I'm not gaining enough weight I will simply increase the percentage to 12% or if I'm gaining too much excess fat I will drop it to 8% and so on and so forth each week for the next 8 months. I decided to use a 40/40/20 Macronutrient split to divide up the calories for this plan (40% Carbs, 40% Protein, 20% Fats) and will play with these percentages depending how my body reacts. I am getting most of my fats from Smuckers natural peanut butter, my meats and eggs. My protein sources are eggs, egg whites, chicken, cottage cheese and whey protein. And my carbs are coming from oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes and bananas. I will break down my diet in detail day by day throughout the week to show exactly what and how much I am eating

Now for the numbers:

Low Carb Days:
-Fat: 99 - 891 calories - 26%
-Carbs: 274 - 936 calories - 28%
-Protein: 382 - 1512 calories - 45%
-Calories: 3519

Moderate Carb Days:
-Fat: 99 - 891 calories - 23%
-Carbs: 362 - 1448 calories - 38%
-Protein: 378 - 1512 calories - 39%
-Calories: 3851

High Carb Days:
-Fat: 99 - 891 calories - 21%
-Carbs: 450 - 1800 calories - 43%
-Protein: 378 - 1512 calories - 36%
-Calories: 4203

The Training Split:
Monday: Quads/Biceps
Tuesday: Chest
Wednesday: Back
Thursday: Shoulders/Triceps
Friday: Hamstrings/Traps
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Off

The meal plan then follows my training split so my high carb days are my heavy lifting days (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), my moderate carb days are my other two training days (Tuesday and Thursday) and my low carb days are my off days (Saturday and Sunday)

Christman
10-13-14, 6:40 pm
Sounds like you have quite a long road ahead of you but it sounds like your plan is well thought out. You'll crush it! Is there a date and location announced for this show yet?

jcf
10-13-14, 7:52 pm
Sounds like you have quite a long road ahead of you but it sounds like your plan is well thought out. You'll crush it! Is there a date and location announced for this show yet?
Thanks for the support! The road is long but I love every day I spend walking it. The show date is set as October 3rd and its held at the Lakewood civic auditorium.

jcf
10-13-14, 8:31 pm
Today was leg day (part 1). As of last week ive been following my new training split that has me training quads and hams on two separare days and I love it. I can never get enough of leg training.
My workout was an 90 minutes, starting with an intense hour for quads and a finishing with a half hour for biceps.
The training breakdown:
Front squats: 6 sets and a 6 set dropset
Hack squats: 6 sets
DB lunges: 4 sets
Leg extensions: 4 sets and a 6 set dropset

Today was a high carb day so my diet was the following
7am: 1c egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 1c oatmeal, 1 tblsp PB
11am: same as first (pre workout)
1pm: (post workout) 15oz sweet potato, 30g whey protien, 1 cup oats shake. 10oz chicken, 1c rice
3pm: 10oz chicken, 1c rice
5pm: same as 3pm
7pm: same as 3 and 5pm
9pm: banana, 2 tblsp PB

jcf
10-13-14, 8:46 pm
Forgot to post my bicep workout so here it is
Biceps:
Concentration curls x4
DB hammer curls x4
21's x3
BB reverse curls x4